Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

175 million for a guy who projects as a middle of the rotation starter and hasn't thrown 1 pitch in pro ball outside of Japan isn't the "cost of any team seeking starting pitching" 

Sox drafted a few guys with similiar profiles and ceilings and haven't signed one to a bonus north of 2.75 million. 

Agreed Hugh.  The other thing worth noting is the INSANE amount of stress his arm has been through.  I heard recently that he has already thrown 1,400 innings of professional ball so far!  That's insane!!  In a playoff game he pitched 175 pitches.....then the next DAY pitched another inning! 

I know they do thing different in Japan and have very different regimines......but no matter how you look at it....that arm has about the same mileage as a 30 year old MLB player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We're not going to have a clue what Tanaka's true level/value is until he actually pitches this year, folks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

175 million for a guy who projects as a middle of the rotation starter and hasn't thrown 1 pitch in pro ball outside of Japan isn't the "cost of any team seeking starting pitching" 

Sox drafted a few guys with similiar profiles and ceilings and haven't signed one to a bonus north of 2.75 million. 

How do you know where he projects? 24-0 in Japan with less than a 2 era.

I put more faith in the scouts for the teams who pursued him.

I heard much of the same about Darvish.

Big difference between who the Sox drafted or any team drafted with the new posting rules for japanese free agents.

Did you notice the old system was satisfactory for Dice-K and Darvish that it was only until the NY Yankees openly stated they would pursue Tanaka that the process was changed.

The 50 mil the RS bid for Dice was not counted against the RS payroll, neither was the fee for Darvish.

The guy doing all the complaining Frank Coonelly GM of the Pirates about the posting system and the advantages of the big organizations didn't even bid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In hindsight how many teams do you think would like a do-over with Darvish?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Anyplace other than SS for Jeter would be a big boost to the Yanks chances in 2014.

+1

He was virtually a statue when he was young and healthy.  Can't imagine what he'll be like at 40, coming off an ankle injury.   Then again, I guess you can't really get much worse than "statue".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'd also consider him an old 25 year old.  He has a lot of mileage on his arm....a lot more than an american pitcher at age 25. 

I'd say he is something between Dice-K and Darvish. 

Dice-K was a nibbler, he was effective until ML hitters figured it out.

Why his pitch count was so high early.

He didn't have either the splitter of fast ball Tanaka has.

Like Americans you have these look at these guys as individuals  he is not a Dice-K re-incarnate.

From what I've read he pitches more like a young Dan Haren.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Anyplace other than SS for Jeter would be a big boost to the Yanks chances in 2014.

+1

He was virtually a statue when he was young and healthy.  Can't imagine what he'll be like at 40, coming off an ankle injury.   Then again, I guess you can't really get much worse than "statue".

A statue?

Ha ha. One of the 5 greatest SSs of all time.

Anywhere else but Boston.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Are you saying he doesn't have a "gyroball"?  Surprised. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

How do you know where he projects? 24-0 in Japan with less than a 2 era. yes.....24-0 in Japan.  I don't know where he projects any more than you do...I do however follow the scouting community.  And there is a large consensus that that is where he scouts. 

I put more faith in the scouts for the teams who pursued him.  Based on what? the Yankee scouting reports you've seen on him? again the international scouting community has slapped a middle of the rotation starter on him (which is still really really good) 

I heard much of the same about Darvish. Darvish was much more highly regarded than Tanaka, he was when they both pitched in Japan...and he is now as well. 

Big difference between who the Sox drafted or any team drafted with the new posting rules for japanese free agents. Yes there is....there are more scouts on the ground in the u.s. and there market forces at work as well....if Tanaka was younger and part of a draft he would obviously be paid much less. 

Did you notice the old system was satisfactory for Dice-K and Darvish that was only until the NY Yankees openly stated they would pursue Tanaka that the enite was changed. Again this is NY narcissism...there isn't a shred of evidence to support this

The 50 mil the RS bid for Dice was not counted against the RS payroll, neither was the fee for Darvish. I'm fully aware of this, but the money is still spent and has an affect on a teams bottom line.  Ultimately between the posting fee and the 50% luxury tax the deal could end up costing New York north of $250 million dollars. 

The guy doing all the complaining Frank Coonley GM of the Pirates about the posting system didn't even bid. I really don't care about the GM of the Pirates.  And the new posting system is about every guy coming out of japan moving forward...not this one guy and his relationship to the Yankees needs...again this is NY narcissism. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

+1

A statue?

I hope you're kiddding, twm

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In hindsight how many teams do you think would like a do-over with Darvish?

I'm sure every team would at this point.  But looking at what the SCOUTS said THEN still isn't "hindsight" before the fact Darvish was still more highly regarded than Tanaka was.  Darvish was considered the best pitcher in Japan, with Tanaka being the second best.  When Darvish left Tanaka become the best pitcher...Darvish is still considered a better pitcher.  There is no "hindisght" here Darvish was and is a better pitcher. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

A statue?

Yes indeed, Jeter is one of the greatest shortstops of all time.  No argument there.  I would have taken him on my team in a heartbeat TWM.

Defensively,  he is a statue.

Don't try make this a Red Sox/Yankees thing, because it's not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd also consider him an old 25 year old.  He has a lot of mileage on his arm....a lot more than an american pitcher at age 25. 

I'd say he is something between Dice-K and Darvish. 

Dice-K was a nibbler, he was effective until ML hitters figured it out.

Why his pitch count was so high early.

He didn't have either the splitter of fast ball Tanaka has.

Like Americans you have these look at these guys as individuals  he is not a Dice-K re-incarnate.

From what I've read he pitches more like a young Dan Haren.

Saying he is something Between Darvish and Dice-K is compliment...Dice K was a 4-5 WIN pitcher his first couple years and so has Darvish.  The stuff is completely not comparable to Dice-K, but I was talking from a value stand point so I apologize for that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Well....what do you want from me?  Do you want me to put together a monte carlo simulation and produce a whole range of outcomes  with the probability of each permutation coming true?

The Yankees have improved over last year, but is the improvement enough?

By my rough calculations, I currently project them to win 86 games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/masahiro-tanaka/

One oft-mentioned concern with Tanaka was his heavy usage in Japan. Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker posted Tanaka's actual pitch counts from last season, which he found in an Isao Chiba article from Shukan Baseball. Last year, the hurler threw 2,981 pitches over over 211 innings in 27 starts, or 109.7 pitches per start last year. (He also threw one inning in relief.) For reference, Clayton Kershaw -- who is less than a year older than Tanaka -- has exceeded 3,000 pitches in each of the last five seasons (last year, 3,428) while averaging around 104 to 105 pitches per start in his last four campaigns.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2014/01/masahiro-tanakas-2013-pitch-counts/#content  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Well....what do you want from me?  Do you want me to put together a monte carlo simulation and produce a whole range of outcomes  with the probability of each permutation coming true?

The Yankees have improved over last year, but is the improvement enough?

By my rough calculations, I currently project them to win 86 games.

I projected the Yankees to win 85 games last year and they won 85.  I doubt they do much better than that this year. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

One oft-mentioned concern with Tanaka was his heavy usage in Japan. Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker posted Tanaka's actual pitch counts from last season, which he found in an Isao Chiba article from Shukan Baseball. Last year, the hurler threw 2,981 pitches over over 211 innings in 27 starts, or 109.7 pitches per start last year. (He also threw one inning in relief.) For reference, Clayton Kershaw -- who is less than a year older than Tanaka -- has exceeded 3,000 pitches in each of the last five seasons (last year, 3,428) while averaging around 104 to 105 pitches per start in his last four campaigns.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2014/01/masahiro-tanakas-2013-pitch-counts/#content  

Yes....but Kershaw is also a workhorse.  Not every pitcher can do that, actually most pitchers can not pitch over 230 per season.  Kershaw also did it on 4 days rest, while Tanaka did it on 5 days rest. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

6 days right

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

the term "flat" when referring to a FB has zero to do with speed.  it has to do with movement.  you could have a 105mph FB.  but if it's straight as an arrow (flat) hitters will destroy it.

Ha ha  and you know this.

From what I've read the hitters can't tell the difference between his splitter and fastball leaving his hand and why both are effective.

Dream on jr.

also another point I want to add to this... having ONE dominant pitch does not make you an ace...it doesn't even make you a starter. 

Yes he is probably a very good pitcher, but the consensus is right about this guy then he is no more than a good but not great starting pitcher.  This is ZERO evidence to the contrary other than the insane amount NY spent on him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

How do you know where he projects? 24-0 in Japan with less than a 2 era. yes.....24-0 in Japan.  I don't know where he projects any more than you do...I do however follow the scouting community.  And there is a large consensus that that is where he scouts. 

I put more faith in the scouts for the teams who pursued him.  Based on what? the Yankee scouting reports you've seen on him? again the international scouting community has slapped a middle of the rotation starter on him (which is still really really good) 

I heard much of the same about Darvish. Darvish was much more highly regarded than Tanaka, he was when they both pitched in Japan...and he is now as well. 

Big difference between who the Sox drafted or any team drafted with the new posting rules for japanese free agents. Yes there is....there are more scouts on the ground in the u.s. and there market forces at work as well....if Tanaka was younger and part of a draft he would obviously be paid much less. 

Did you notice the old system was satisfactory for Dice-K and Darvish that was only until the NY Yankees openly stated they would pursue Tanaka that the enite was changed. Again this is NY narcissism...there isn't a shred of evidence to support this

The 50 mil the RS bid for Dice was not counted against the RS payroll, neither was the fee for Darvish. I'm fully aware of this, but the money is still spent and has an affect on a teams bottom line.  Ultimately between the posting fee and the 50% luxury tax the deal could end up costing New York north of $250 million dollars. 

The guy doing all the complaining Frank Coonley GM of the Pirates about the posting system didn't even bid. I really don't care about the GM of the Pirates.  And the new posting system is about every guy coming out of japan moving forward...not this one guy and his relationship to the Yankees needs...again this is NY narcissism. 

I'm confused by the answers here.

Hard to follow. You answered in red and black?

I will say we all come here with our bias you with yours me with mine.

I frankly can't understand why so many RS fans are concerned about the cost no one cared about the 50 million dollar phone call to Dice-K.

Whatever the Yankees spent on Tanaka they'll get back if they get to the post season.

I think Hank said it best yesterday if not for the payroll tax the Yankees would spend 300 mil.

And that isn't family wealth, it's revenue put back into the sytem like the old man used to.

GS maintained you had to put a good product on the field to capture the fans I think the sons agree.

I post yesterday a quote from KLaw that states Tanaka will be elite from day one.

He is immediately denounced here as a lunatic his opinion dirt but all the scouts you read, read whay you would like to hear are more reputable?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

+1

A statue?

Ok top three.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

We're not going to have a clue what Tanaka's true level/value is until he actually pitches this year, folks.

beginning, middle and end, of discussion. TBD.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

+1

A statue?

Ok top three.

you forgot the zero, maybe?UndecidedSealed

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I frankly can't understand why so many RS fans are concerned about the cost no one cared about the 50 million dollar phone call to Dice-K.

Whatever the Yankees spent on Tanaka they'll get back if they get to the post season.

I Hank said it best yesterday if not for the payroll tax the Yankees would spend 300 mil.

And that isn't family wealth, revenue put back into the sytem like the old man used to.

GS maintained you had to put a good product on the field to capture the fans I think the sons agree.

I post yesterday a quote from KLaw that states Tanaka will be elite from day one.

He is immediately denounced here as a lunatic his opinion dirt but all the scouts you read, read whay you would like to hear are more reputable?

KLAW is NOT an international scout, find me ONE scout calling him a top of the rotation starter.  Who cares about Dice-K and his posting fee...different system different time I could care less.

My argument is that the Yankees overspent for Tanaka.  If the scouting reports are true, then dollar for dollar compared to every other FA pitcher who has signed in recent years this is a bad deal.

So the Yankees have the money to eat bad deals, but what happens when they have an over inflated payroll and aren't winning? 

Every good team, just like very good business is just a few bad decisions away from going down the tubes, and Yankee fans think their team is somehow magically immune from this and get all excited and giddy when their team goes out and maxes out the credit card as if there will be no ramifications.

The bigger you are the harder you fall...if the Yankees can't drastically improve and miss the playoffs again do you really think they will have bottomless wallets with a payroll that effectively costs them a quarter billion + every years???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I Hank said it best yesterday if not for the payroll tax the Yankees would spend 300 mil.

And that isn't family wealth, revenue put back into the sytem like the old man used to.

KLAW is NOT an international scout, find me ONE scout calling him a top of the rotation starter.  Who cares about Dice-K and his posting fee...different system different time I could care less.

My argument is that the Yankees overspent for Tanaka.  If the scouting reports are true, then dollar for dollar compared to every other FA pitcher who has signed in recent years this is a bad deal.

So the Yankees have the money to eat bad deals, but what happens when they have an over inflated payroll and aren't winning? 

Every good team, just like very good business is just a few bad decisions away from going down the tubes, and Yankee fans think their team is somehow magically immune from this and get all excited and giddy when their team goes out and maxes out the credit card as if there will be no ramifications.

The bigger you are the harder you fall...if the Yankees can't drastically improve and miss the playoffs again do you really think they will have bottomless wallets with a payroll that effectively costs them a quarter billion + every years???

Overspent?

It was their money how can you say they over spent?

That's for them to determine.

You might think Tanaka is over valued but the Yankees spent what they wanted for a 25 year old pitcher.

Sections
Shortcuts