Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Tanaka was 24-0, with a 1.27 ERA. How many pitchers do that at any professional level? He has been heavily scouted for quite some time. One scout said that he was a LOT better than Darvish. Another said his splitter was the best he has ever seen. This is high praise. This guy just might be a great one. Let's face it, if the Sox had signed him, we would be thrilled. Our top pitching prospects have not shown anything even resembling that kind of performance. Signing with the Yankees does not make him less of a talent. Our best bet might be to hope that he breaks down at some point from his high number of innings pitched. Many here are putting up a brash front, but we really should be disappointed , upset and worried that he is going to New York. This is not good news for the Red Sox.

I disagree. I think the amount of money paid to him over SEVEN YEARS is VERY good news for the Red Sox. Now I might be wrong; Tanaka might be worth every penny, but the odds are stacked against that. Name me three players who were given over say, $17m for more than five years who were worth it. Even the Yankees have a limit financially, and by paying Tanaka it detracts from their ability to pay someone else.

Its a good day to be a Sox fan

If the Yankees have a limit financially, I have yet to see it.  But it is quite obvious that the Sox do have a limit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Change of subject; check these out

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/1964/player/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secret-state-of-north-korea/

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

that's why.  what say you?  let me guess...the yankees win 100, right?

Still sticking with the .500 record?

I got the yanks winning between 90-95.

Yankees are a 90-95 win team on paper right now.  What they also have is ZERO depth and a lot of old guys starting almost every position.  When you factor that in, I think it's a good bet that they lose another 5-10 games.  I still think they are around an 85 win team.   I won't cound them out until they are out....but I'm not worried either. 

If you agree with me that on paper they are a 90-95 win team then I must ask .....

What other piece of paper tells you they are a good bet to lose 5-10 more????

intuition, probability, common sense...whatever you want to call it.  When a huge chuck of your team is old, and injury prone...odds are you are going to lose starters, and when the depth you have coming in to replace those guys are worst than the league average.....odds are you are going to lose some more games.

That's fine if that is what you believe.

If so perhaps you shouldn't call them a 90-95 win team on paper.

For the simple reason all those negatives you brought up are clearly noted on paper and you see something different then I do.

Well....what do you want from me?  Do you want me to put together a monte carlo simulation and produce a whole range of outcomes  with the probability of each permutation coming true?

"Do you want me to...."

NO.

You called them a 90-95 win team on paper.

Then you said they will lose 5-10 more games from there.

All I was trying to determine was which is it?

You can't have it both ways.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

I think she referred to him as a statue.

I tend to believe that Jeter gets less love in Boston than anywhere else so I take any criticism on this site with a grain of salt.

Personally I think Bill James is fos.

Bill James revolutionized the way teams think about talent.  He's published numerous books on the subject and is a senior adviser on talent to the reigning World Series Champions.  Prior to the 2013 season John Henry said that one mistake the FO had made was getting away from James' way of thinking.  The team then went out and signed players that fit the profile James has traditionally supported and everyone was questioning... until October.

What're your credentials to be criticizing him?

That giant sucking sound you hear is TWM's credibility going down the drain.

more importantly...where was TWM during October & November this year???  hiding perhaps???

Gee I've been here for about ten years. After 2004, 2007, 2013.

Another great point by you.

Slasher has a very rare legit point .

You were no where to be found as the Sox made their WS run.

It took the signing of Tanaka for you to post here "non-stop".

Give your chest pounding a day off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

like s5 said earlier....he doesn't even come with a "gyroball".....

2014 prediction:

8-11 4.28 ERA. 

Maybe; chalk it up as a hopeful prediction. It likely won't matter, since this really isn't going to help the team that much; they have glaring holes; the NY media seems to agree.

my hopeful prediction would be 0-18 with a 10.95 ERA.  my prediction as posted earlier is what i believe he will accomplish next season.  what is your prediction?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

that's why.  what say you?  let me guess...the yankees win 100, right?

Still sticking with the .500 record?

I got the yanks winning between 90-95.

Yankees are a 90-95 win team on paper right now.  What they also have is ZERO depth and a lot of old guys starting almost every position.  When you factor that in, I think it's a good bet that they lose another 5-10 games.  I still think they are around an 85 win team.   I won't cound them out until they are out....but I'm not worried either. 

If you agree with me that on paper they are a 90-95 win team then I must ask .....

What other piece of paper tells you they are a good bet to lose 5-10 more????

intuition, probability, common sense...whatever you want to call it.  When a huge chuck of your team is old, and injury prone...odds are you are going to lose starters, and when the depth you have coming in to replace those guys are worst than the league average.....odds are you are going to lose some more games.

That's fine if that is what you believe.

If so perhaps you shouldn't call them a 90-95 win team on paper.

For the simple reason all those negatives you brought up are clearly noted on paper and you see something different then I do.

Well....what do you want from me?  Do you want me to put together a monte carlo simulation and produce a whole range of outcomes  with the probability of each permutation coming true?

"Do you want me to...."

NO.

You called them a 90-95 win team on paper.

Then you said they will lose 5-10 more games from there.

All I was trying to determine was which is it?

You can't have it both ways.

I really don't even care any more, you can have it the other way.  So you win, I will say they are a 85 win team.  Perhaps a better way to say it is if they were not so injury prone, and their players were younger and/or they had a stronger farm with more depth I would look at the players they have on paper and say "hey this is a 90 win team"

I was throwing the variability of chance into the equation that they would lose more games than one would typically guess by their stats because they will likely endure some injuries during the season that will hurt them more than it would hurt other teams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

twm, steven and zac,

Do you think Tanaka is a sure thing and the contract terms were warranted, considering he's never pitched in mlb? The fact he's been so sucessful in Japan, there's little to no chance he won't be, against a higher level of hittters?   

I'd appreciate an honest answer

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I tend to believe that Jeter gets less love in Boston than anywhere else so I take any criticism on this site with a grain of salt.

Bill James revolutionized the way teams think about talent.  He's published numerous books on the subject and is a senior adviser on talent to the reigning World Series Champions.  Prior to the 2013 season John Henry said that one mistake the FO had made was getting away from James' way of thinking.  The team then went out and signed players that fit the profile James has traditionally supported and everyone was questioning... until October.

more importantly...where was TWM during October & November this year???  hiding perhaps???

I flipped my car drag racing needed some recovery time.

How's that for an excuse? 

Quite a statement for someone who disappeared for an extended period Aug-Dec of 2009.

Btw I was posting here before the Tanaka signing congratulating some posters on the WS win. Your buddy slosher knows this as well.

Actually I get my fix by spending more time on other sites.

Arguing here non stop tends to get a bit tiring.

Although I'll pop in periodically for the big stuff, likke the Tanaka signing for example.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Btw I was posting here before the Tanaka signing congratulating some poster on the WS win. Your buddy slosher know this as well.

Don't let us keep youSealedTongue Out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

twm, steven and zac,

Do you think Tanaka is a sure thing and the contract terms were warranted, considering he's never pitched in mlb? The fact he's been so sucessful in Japan, there's little to no chance he won't be, against a higher level of hittters?   

Like Darvish and Kuroda he will have success imho.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

twm, steven and zac,

Like Darvish and Kuroda he will have success imho.

I didn't ask about success twm. theres little to no doubt, he will have some level of success.  I asked if he was a sure thing as scouted, and was the contract terms warranted given he's not a proven pitcher in mlb, will face a higher level of players or was it to sign at all costs, out of the NYY desperation for pitching. I want an opinion, not "it's not my money". 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Btw I was posting here before the Tanaka signing congratulating some poster on the WS win. Your buddy slosher know this as well.

If everyone agreed on everything it wouldn't be much of a forum would it?

I come here to learn from the good knowledgeable posters here.

Although there is too much nonsense from juvenile posters like slasher.

Keep your friends close your enemies closer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

It comes from both sides, at times, twm. Evidenced by this thread

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

jbay

We all have a bias and a preconceived notion how Tanaka will perform but actually the only poster who had it right so far is HF Bob.

Until he pitches in 2014 no one knows for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

jbay

We all have a bias and a preconceived notion how Tanaka will perform but actually the only poster who had it right so far is HF Bob.

That's the point. When the Sox fans said that, it was because we were Sox fans, not because it's valid. It gets old 

And the contract terms? I think I heard it's the 5th highest for a pitcher in mlb, for one that has yet to throw one. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

jbay

And the contract? I think I heard it's the 5th highest for a pitcher in mlb, for one that has yet to throw one. 

And all of you choose to compare the posting and bidding to the old system of openly negotiating with an IFA and his agent.

Ignoring the reason why the amount was so high.

Ignoring the fact if this current system was in place the RS might not have been able to sign Dice-K to such a small contract, the Rangers the same with Darvish.

That both would have gotten much larger contracts.

But I've this point over and over so now we're getting into dead horse territory.

Have a good one, later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

jbay

That's the point. When the Sox fans said that, it was because we were Sox fans, not because it's true. It gets old 

And the contract? I think I heard it's the 5th highest for a pitcher in mlb, for one that has yet to throw one. 

And all of you compare it to the old system of openly negotiating with an IFA and his agent.

Ignoring the reason why the amount was so high.

Ignoring the fact if this current system was in place the RS might not have been able to sign Dice-K to such a small contract, the Rangers the same with Darvish.

That both would have gotten much larger contracts.

But I've this point over and over so now we're getting into dead horse territory.

Have a good one, later.

The Dodgers weren't even close. My question, again,  are the terms of the contract warranted, that blew the tax threshold out of the water; were the Yankees hands tied, out of desperation, for pitching? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

jbay

That's the point. When the Sox fans said that, it was because we were Sox fans, not because it's true. It gets old 

you heard correctly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i find it ironically hysterical that jeter will move from SS for stephen drew but wouldn't do it for one of the best SS ever.  don't you?

btw - thus far i am the only poster to go on record with a prediction on how tanaka will do this upcoming season.  what is your prediction????

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'd give 25c and two pair of Izod socks to see TWM [Everything is a conspiracy against the Yankees] and Kim [Everything revolves around what's best for the Yankees] locked up together in a room to see which one comes out.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

did Beiber win?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

twm, steven and zac,

do U know what bryce harper would say

' that's a clown question'

there R no sure things

I got to tell U

it's sounds like sour grapes when U guys

ignore the fact that plenty of other teams were willing to

spend more than the yankees on  him

relax slash

more as in more of their payroll % and rev %

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I'd give 25c and two pair of Izod socks to see TWM [Everything is a conspiracy against the Yankees] and Kim [Everything revolves around what's best for the Yankees] locked up together in a room to see which one comes out.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

I'm in

Sections
Shortcuts