In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

97 is 97.  But you can still be flat at 97.  And a flat 97 gets creamed in the bigs.  Just ask Jon Papelbon.  His 97 flattened out on him and he was never the same.  Not saying that Tanaka has a flat fastball.  I cannot tell from youtube etc. (in the way that I could clearly tell that Darvish's cheese was filthy from youtube etc.).  It sure will be interesting to see if Hugh's scouting eye is sharp on this matter or not. 

[/QUOTE]

but it's not 97...and it's flat (reportedly, I haven't seen it) 

Here is nice link about Tanaka where they talk a little bit about his Velo

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/as-teams-scout-masahiro-tanaka-posting-system-changes-could-be-coming/

[/QUOTE]

“Tanaka will be elite from day one.” – KLaw

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

Source on Tanaka: “I think it came down to him just wanting to be a Yankee. :-)

[/QUOTE]

so was it the 7 years and $155MM with a player opt out in 4?  or that he just wanted to be a yankees????

[/QUOTE]

Of course, Slasher.

It's the sheer joy of wearing pinstripes.

Money has nothing to do with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

so was it the 7 years and $155MM with a player opt out in 4?  or that he just wanted to be a yankees????

[/QUOTE]

The no trade clause Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

hey zac...go f|_|c|< yourself.  how about that?

oh my that's not like U NC

seems like signing tanaka has

knocked funny boy off his game

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

this is not a "single out" thing here...c'mon guys...let's chill a little...it's just sports...Cool

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course, Slasher.

[/QUOTE]

Details of the Yankees’ contract agreement with Masahiro Tanaka
    By Mike Axisa in Transactions. Tags: Masahiro Tanaka · Comments (0)

After listening to each team’s pitch and mulling over the offers, the two sides haggled a bit and Tanaka’s camp informed the Yankees they had to offer the seventh year to get a deal done, so they did. They did not make the high offer — Tanaka reportedly turned down a better deal to come to New York. I’m guessing the Cubs were the top bidder, but that’s just a guess. The Yankees were informed Tanaka accepted their offer at 1am ET this morning, 3pm local time in Japan. I guess all the reporters were sleeping because the news didn’t break for another nine hours or so.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 4m

The Yankees may have not had the highest bid for Tanaka. Chose NYY anyway. Source says "I think he really decided he wanted to be a Yankee."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

I think the Yankees had to do this deal, but that doesn't undo the fact that the money and years are ridiculous.  It's nice to be in the position that the Sox are in with regards to their pitching depth and prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

97 is 97.  But you can still be flat at 97.  And a flat 97 gets creamed in the bigs.  Just ask Jon Papelbon.  His 97 flattened out on him and he was never the same.  Not saying that Tanaka has a flat fastball.  I cannot tell from youtube etc. (in the way that I could clearly tell that Darvish's cheese was filthy from youtube etc.).  It sure will be interesting to see if Hugh's scouting eye is sharp on this matter or not. 

[/QUOTE]

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/as-teams-scout-masahiro-tanaka-posting-system-changes-could-be-coming/

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Well, if Keith Law tweets it, must be true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

please, twm. It had nothing to do with the money/years/opt out clause? Honestly, how much do you think he even knows about or can relate to being a Yankee?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Does that mean that Cano just didn't want to be a Yankee?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

Of course, Slasher.

[/QUOTE]

Details of the Yankees’ contract agreement with Masahiro Tanaka
    By Mike Axisa in Transactions. Tags: Masahiro Tanaka · Comments (0)

After listening to each team’s pitch and mulling over the offers, the two sides haggled a bit and Tanaka’s camp informed the Yankees they had to offer the seventh year to get a deal done, so they did. They did not make the high offer — Tanaka reportedly turned down a better deal to come to New York. I’m guessing the Cubs were the top bidder, but that’s just a guess. The Yankees were informed Tanaka accepted their offer at 1am ET this morning, 3pm local time in Japan. I guess all the reporters were sleeping because the news didn’t break for another nine hours or so.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 4m

The Yankees may have not had the highest bid for Tanaka. Chose NYY anyway. Source says "I think he really decided he wanted to be a Yankee."

[/QUOTE]

Who was the source.....Hal Steinbrenner?Tongue Out

The opt out clause, after 4 years, likly sealed the deal. Brian Cashmans "ace" in the hole

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

coming from KLaw, the biggest Yankee nuthugger over at ESPN who is not known for his international scouting.

Heres what BA's Ben Badler had to say, who is much more regarded in terms of international scouting.

"At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Tanaka throws a low-90s fastball that can touch 96 mph. Even though Tanaka can reach the mid-90s, his fastball is the pitch that gives some scouts pause because it comes in on a flat plane, making it more hittable than the velocity might suggest. Tanaka has two secondary pitches that have earned grades of 60 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale, including a 70 splitter with late downward action to keep hitters off his fastball. His low- to mid-80s slider is another plus weapon, while he’ll mix in a curveball as well."

BA was pretty much following and scouting every start he made the last year as well. Keith Law heres a few scouts say that his "upside" is a front line starter and immediately slaps that label on him. 

There's definitely a lot to like about Tanaka, the same scouts who don't see him as a front line starter (which is most) also have said he has plus secondary pitches with Badler even saying "he has the best splitter in the world"

He probably has a very high floor in that he will immediately be a decent pitcher....but NY thinks they are getting the next Darvish and that is just not the case...and if CC continues to decline or doesn't have a comeback season then the front of that rotation is still very weak. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Well, if Keith Law tweets it, must be true.

[/QUOTE]

Ah yes we all can't be Bill James.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Tanaka has also had problems pitching from the stretch and holding runners on.

...not trying to say the evidence isn't there for him to be a good pitcher.

But I am saying there is a LOT more evidence that paying 22-27 million plus a year for a guy who might not be anything more than a #3 #4 starter is a HUGE risk. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tanaka will be elite from day one.” – KLaw

[/QUOTE]

How could anyone possibly know that, about any player. Stupid statement

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.

[/QUOTE]

Flat fastball??

97 mph is flat?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd say he's putting his reputation on the line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

please, twm. It had nothing to do with the money/years/opt out clause? Honestly, how much do you think he even knows about or can relate to being a Yankee?

[/QUOTE]

why would U say that

ok sure  how much does he know about any team but

he was a teamate of ex nyy a jones last yr

and it's already been posted in this thread that matsui help recruit him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

But I am saying there is a LOT more evidence that paying 22-27 million plus a year for a guy who might not be anything more than a #3 #4 starter is a HUGE risk. 

[/QUOTE]

Until he pitches we won't know where he fits in the rotation.

I would say his stuff more equates with Davish and Kuroda then any other Japanese pitchersof late.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only what he knows in talking with Matsui, Ichiro and Kuroda.

Remember Kuroda pitched in LA too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

@therealarieber

why would U say that

The statement/tweet made it sound like the obligitory "I always wanted to be a Yankee". He has no idea what the difference is, or what it represents, other than dollars and cents. He made it clear before the bidding started, he was going where the money was. The opt out clause sealed the deal, IMO. It worked with CC...if you decide you dont like pitching here or opt out for more money clause. That's how

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

of course no one knows that

or anything else about what's going 2 happen

but what's your point

professional writers shouldn't give their opinions

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

@therealarieber

[/QUOTE]

why would U say that

[/QUOTE]

The statement/tweet made it sound like the obligitory "I always wanted to be a Yankee". He has no idea what the difference is. except what it represents, other than dollars and cents. He made it clear before the bidding started, he was going where the money was. The opt out clause sealed the deal, IMO. Thats how

[/QUOTE]

They all say that when they sign. We know it's about the money.

But I do believe he would tend to feel more comfortable playing on a team with Kuroda and Ichiro.

And also the assurances he received from Matsui who btw still resides in the NY area.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

of course no one knows that

or anything else about what's going 2 happen

but what's your point

professional writers shouldn't give their opinions

[/QUOTE]

Thats my point...its his opinion, stated as fact

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Until he pitches we won't know where he fits in the rotation.

I would say his stuff more equates with Davish and Kuroda then any other Japanese pitchersof late.

[/QUOTE]

really YOU would say that? based on what? have you scouted him? Scouts have said that he is NOT a good comparison to Darvish and that his stuff is not as good. 

Darvish has a much better fastball, has a proven track record in the MLB, has better mechanics (reportedly) and can pitch from the stretch (something Tanaka has had issues with)

Darvish has more pitches. 

Sections
Shortcuts