In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Tanaka will be elite from day one.” – KLaw

How could anyone possibly know that, about any player. Stupid statement

of course no one knows that

or anything else about what's going 2 happen

but what's your point

professional writers shouldn't give their opinions

Thats my point...its his opinion, stated as fact

Well wouldn't you conclude that the scouting people from the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs and D-Backs felt he was worth the money he was being offered?

Afterall why even waste the 20 mil to talk to the guy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

Of course the Dodgers just gave a pile to Kershaw and now have to deal with renewing Ramirez.

Not sure they wanted a payroll in the upper 200s.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

well thanks for that' not sure who didn't know that

but U calling it  ''Stupid statement''

can only make me think ...........nevermind

The statement/tweet made it sound like the obligitory "I always wanted to be a Yankee". He has no idea what the difference is. except what it represents, other than dollars and cents. He made it clear before the bidding started, he was going where the money was. The opt out clause sealed the deal, IMO. It worked with CC...if you decide you dont like pitching here or opt out for more money clause. That's how

I don't recall reading any quotes from him

and as far as not knowing anything about the yanks

what MLB team do you thinks these kids heard about most while growing up

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

but what's your point

Well wouldn't you conclude that the scouting people from the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs and D-Backs felt he was worth the money he was being offered?

I doubt any scout thinks any of them are worth it, twm. It's just what the market dictates. I find it hard to believe any player, who hasnt played/pitched  in mlb no less , let alone the ALE, dictates that kind of contract, plus the posting fee.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

The statement/tweet made it sound like the obligitory "I always wanted to be a Yankee". He has no idea what the difference is. except what it represents, other than dollars and cents. He made it clear before the bidding started, he was going where the money was. The opt out clause sealed the deal, IMO. It worked with CC...if you decide you dont like pitching here or opt out for more money clause. That's how

Thats why I was surprised you askedTongue Out It was a stupid statement because he's still an unknown at this point, who hasn't made one pitch in mlb, let alone the ALE

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

but what's your point

I don't think any scount thinks any of them are worth it, twm. It's just what the market dictates. I find it hard to believe any player, who hasnt played/pitched  in mlb no less , let alone the ALE, dictates that kind of contract, plus the posting fee.

I agree and he wouldn't gotten an amount that large except for the complaining by some of the small market teams about the bidding process that was used for Dice-K and Yu Darvish.

The Yankees got hosed.

The RS and the Rangers didn't have to use their posting fees against the cap.

The GM of Pirates b*tched about the big market teams with the old process.

You better believe Darvish wishes he had waited a year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Said he made it clear, maybe via his agent, he was going to land where he was going to get paid the most. He also said he wanted to sign with a team with a chance to win, so..Wink

Zac, do you honestly believe he's coming to the Yankees, for any other reason than the terms of the contract; if they weren't what they're reported to be, he would have signed, anyway? It wasn't enough to hold Cano. Bottom line, money talks and they walk.....to or from. Not faulting them, just tired of the spin. Tell it like it is. Best offer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I think the Yankees would have much preferred to use the old system to post the highest bid then not have that amount figured into the team payroll.

Then negotiate a contract with Tanaka the way the Sox did with Dice, the Rangers with Darvish.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Tanaka has also had problems pitching from the stretch and holding runners on.

...not trying to say the evidence isn't there for him to be a good pitcher.

But I am saying there is a LOT more evidence that paying 22-27 million plus a year for a guy who might not be anything more than a #3 #4 starter is a HUGE risk. 

Until he pitches we won't know where he fits in the rotation.

I would say his stuff more equates with Davish and Kuroda then any other Japanese pitchersof late.

really YOU would say that? based on what? have you scouted him? Scouts have said that he is NOT a good comparison to Darvish and that his stuff is not as good. 

Darvish has a much better fastball, has a proven track record in the MLB, has better mechanics (reportedly) and can pitch from the stretch (something Tanaka has had issues with)

Darvish has more pitches. 

I think this is going to be a great deal........for the Red Sox. The Yankees never learn. How many long term expensive deals have really worked out well for ANY team? How many have been flops? Baseball is littered with expensive FAs who have not lived up to their billing. Pujols. Arod. Hamilton. Texeira...just to name a few. I am sure others can come up with many more names. And this guy hasn't even thrown a single pitch to a US MLB batter yet! Dumb move by the Yankees, more than likely, and one born out of desperation. I admit I might be wrong about this, but I think this is a great day to be a Red Sox fan.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

First, this board was salivating over Tanaka; now the spin has reversed.

What a shock.

Heaven forbid you base your opinion on what the idividual has said before, instead of projecting it onto the entire board.

No kidding; however, you're right, I should have said "some on this board". I should have known better, lest I give you an excuse for a rebuttal. I'll try to be more precise going forward.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

But I am saying there is a LOT more evidence that paying 22-27 million plus a year for a guy who might not be anything more than a #3 #4 starter is a HUGE risk. 

I would say his stuff more equates with Davish and Kuroda then any other Japanese pitchersof late.

really YOU would say that? based on what? have you scouted him? Scouts have said that he is NOT a good comparison to Darvish and that his stuff is not as good. 

Darvish has a much better fastball, has a proven track record in the MLB, has better mechanics (reportedly) and can pitch from the stretch (something Tanaka has had issues with)

I think this is going to be a great deal........for the Red Sox. The Yankees never learn. How many long term expensive deals have really worked out well for ANY team? How many have been flops? Baseball is littered with expensive FAs who have not lived up to their billing. Pujols. Arod. Hamilton. Texeira...just to name a few. I am sure others can come up with many more names. And this guy hasn't even thrown a single pitch to a US MLB batter yet! Dumb move by the Yankees, more than likely, and one born out of desperation. I admit I might be wrong about this, but I think this is a great day to be a Red Sox fan.

Apples and oranges.

Those were all experienced free agents moving to different clubs you mentioned.

This is about unknown international free agents.

How many teams do you think would like to have a do-over with Cespedes, Puig, Chapman and Darvish??

Tanaka is 25 years old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

but what's your point

I don't think any scount thinks any of them are worth it, twm. It's just what the market dictates. I find it hard to believe any player, who hasnt played/pitched  in mlb no less , let alone the ALE, dictates that kind of contract, plus the posting fee.

I agree and he wouldn't gotten an amount that large except for the complaining by some of the small market teams about the bidding process that was used for Dice-K and Yu Darvish.

The Yankees got hosed.

The RS and the Rangers didn't have to use their posting fees against the cap.

The GM of Pirates b*tched about the big market teams with the old process.

You better believe Darvish wishes he had waited a year.

I do believe it  no arm twisting, necessaryTongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

22 million per year.  He has an opt out at 4 years, so if he is any good he will exercise that making the total more like 26 million (as they spread out the posting fee)  Off the books the total cost to the Yankees would sit at around $36 million a year when you include the salary cap tax. 

For a guy with a flat fastball who projects as a middle of the rotation starter.

We have about 5-6 prospects who project as a middle of the rotation starter, even if one pans out we will have our very own Tanaka for less than a million. 

What a shock.

Heaven forbid you base your opinion on what the idividual has said before, instead of projecting it onto the entire board.

No kidding; however, you're right, I should have said "some on this board". Just an excuse.

Well I not once salivated over Tanaka. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

This is the way it's going to be going forward on japanese free agents.

Unless of course it changes again.

Each team is going to have a large bid to seal the deal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

My main point of concern with Tanka if I was the Yankees would be with his split....the split whihc is supposed to be the best in the world.....we all know that Japanese Baseballs are slightly samller than the ball used in MLB.....and clearly if the size of a ball has the potential to be relevant to any pitch it is with the split finger....it may make no difference at all, but until I see his splits effectivenesss on a consistent basis with a MLB baseball....I would be concerned if he loses anything off his most dominant pitch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This is the way it's going to be going forward on japanese free agents.

Unless of course it changes again.

Each team is going to have a large bid to seal the deal.

Could be....then again there is serious talk about an international draft within a few years and who knows what the parameters of that will entail. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

What a shock.

No kidding; however, you're right, I should have said "some on this board". Just an excuse.

Well I not once salivated over Tanaka. 

I didn't salivate over Chapman, Puig, Darvish or Cespedes.

But admit now I wish the Yankees had been aggressive in pursuing all of them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

My main point of concern with Tanka if I was the Yankees would be with his split....the split whihc is supposed to be the best in the world.....we all know that Japanese Baseballs are slightly samller than the ball used in MLB.....and clearly if the size of a ball has the potential to be relevant to any pitch it is with the split finger....it may make no difference at all, but until I see his splits effectivenesss on a consistent basis with a MLB baseball....I would be concerned if he loses anything off his most dominant pitch.

This is not true, they switched the size of Japanese baseballs back in 2011 to the same size the MLB uses.  I just learned this myself recently. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The last time the Yankees spent this much money in the off season with the likes of Tex, CC and AJ they won the WS.  Then nothing from that point on, lets see how all these new faces fit in because they HAVE DONE DID IT TO THEMSELVES ALL OVER AGAIN.  What a crazy franchise!

CC Sabathia $24,400,000 Mark Teixeira 22,500,000 Masahiro Tanaka 22,142,857 Jacoby Ellsbury 21,857,143 Brian McCann 17,000,000 Hiroki Kuroda 16,000,000 Carlos Beltran 15,000,000 Derek Jeter 12,810,000 Ichiro Suzuki 6,500,000 Brett Gardner 5,600,000 David Robertson 5,215,000 Alfonso Soriano 4,000,000 Matt Thornton 3,500,000 Alex Rodriguez 3,155,738 Ivan Nova 3,300,000 Kelly Johnson 3,000,000 Brian Roberts 2,000,000 Shawn Kelley 1,765,000 Brendan Ryan 1,666,667 Francisco Cervelli 700,000 Total 192,112,405 Estimated Benefits   11,500,000 Total 203,612,405

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Apples and oranges.

Those were all experienced free agents moving to different clubs you mentioned.

This is about unknown international free agents.

How many teams do you think would like to have a do-over with Cespedes, Puig, Chapman and Darvish??

Tanaka got $22M for 7 years. Cespedes got $9M for 4; Puig: $6M for 7; Chapman: $5M for 5; Darvish: $9.3M for 6. All the other guys were CHEAP compared to what the Yankees are shelling out for Tanaka. Sure, I would love to have the other four guys for what they are getting paid. But there is no way in hell I would want my team to shell out $22M for SEVEN YEARS for a guy who has yet to throw a single pitch to a ML hitter in this country.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The split seems to be legit, I've been watching his videos today....he's got good stuff.  I just don't think (and it seems the scouting community is predominately with me) he is going to be anywhere near as good as what they paid for him.  NY is paying him ACE money, when he is realistically a #3.  Maybe a little better, maybe a little worst.  If C.C. continues his woes and age catches up with Kuroda (which it sure looked like last year) then NY still has a weak rotation with questions in the bullpen and one of the ugliest infields in baseball.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

This is not true, they switched the size of Japanese baseballs back in 2011 to the same size the MLB uses.  I just learned this myself recently. 

I hadnt heard that Hugh....thanks for the info

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Been fun, I have to run, later guys.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

coming from KLaw, the biggest Yankee nuthugger over at ESPN who is not known for his international scouting.

Heres what BA's Ben Badler had to say, who is much more regarded in terms of international scouting.

"At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Tanaka throws a low-90s fastball that can touch 96 mph. Even though Tanaka can reach the mid-90s, his fastball is the pitch that gives some scouts pause because it comes in on a flat plane, making it more hittable than the velocity might suggest. Tanaka has two secondary pitches that have earned grades of 60 or better on the 20-80 scouting scale, including a 70 splitter with late downward action to keep hitters off his fastball. His low- to mid-80s slider is another plus weapon, while he’ll mix in a curveball as well."

BA was pretty much following and scouting every start he made the last year as well. Keith Law heres a few scouts say that his "upside" is a front line starter and immediately slaps that label on him. 

There's definitely a lot to like about Tanaka, the same scouts who don't see him as a front line starter (which is most) also have said he has plus secondary pitches with Badler even saying "he has the best splitter in the world"

He probably has a very high floor in that he will immediately be a decent pitcher....but NY thinks they are getting the next Darvish and that is just not the case...and if CC continues to decline or doesn't have a comeback season then the front of that rotation is still very weak. 

[/QUOTE]

For all the talk of Tanaka possibly having the best splitter on the planet, then why does he rate as a 70 on the pitch?  Is it even possible to earn an 80?  I would like to see how many players earn 80s on pitches so I know what an actual 80 is if it isn't his splitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

The last time the Yankees spent this much money in the off season with the likes of Tex, CC and AJ they won the WS.  Then nothing from that point on, lets see how all these new faces fit in because they HAVE DONE DID IT TO THEMSELVES ALL OVER AGAIN.  What a crazy franchise!

CC Sabathia $24,400,000 Mark Teixeira 22,500,000 Masahiro Tanaka 22,142,857 Jacoby Ellsbury 21,857,143 Brian McCann 17,000,000 Hiroki Kuroda 16,000,000 Carlos Beltran 15,000,000 Derek Jeter 12,810,000 Ichiro Suzuki 6,500,000 Brett Gardner 5,600,000 David Robertson 5,215,000 Alfonso Soriano 4,000,000 Matt Thornton 3,500,000 Alex Rodriguez 3,155,738 Ivan Nova 3,300,000 Kelly Johnson 3,000,000 Brian Roberts 2,000,000 Shawn Kelley 1,765,000 Brendan Ryan 1,666,667 Francisco Cervelli 700,000 Total 192,112,405 Estimated Benefits   11,500,000 Total 203,612,405

Yes but they also had a better base and more depth back in 2009....they don't have that going into 2014.  They have loaded up on some stars but are still pretty awful in a lot of other areas.

Will Ellsbury, Beltran really give them more than Granderson/Cano would have or did?

is Darvish going to replace what Pettite has been giving them over the last several years.?

Teixeira was on a big decline before he missed all of last season, if that trend continues or even just pauses that infield is pretty much one big black hole in the lineup.

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees have improved and will be a wild card contender next year....but I think at the end of the day they are marginally better than they were last year and have spent MILLIONS to do so. 

Sections
Shortcuts