Yankees to sign Tanaka

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: Yankees to sign Tanaka

In response to slasher9's comment:

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

My main point of concern with Tanka if I was the Yankees would be with his split....the split whihc is supposed to be the best in the world.....we all know that Japanese Baseballs are slightly samller than the ball used in MLB.....and clearly if the size of a ball has the potential to be relevant to any pitch it is with the split finger....it may make no difference at all, but until I see his splits effectivenesss on a consistent basis with a MLB baseball....I would be concerned if he loses anything off his most dominant pitch.

I think that's a fair concern tom

but I'm going whit BB is a game of adjustments

and I don't think tanaka would have made it this far if he could make adjustments

but yeah it could take a little while

that's my story and I'm sticking 2 it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

I think this is going to be a great deal........for the Red Sox. The Yankees never learn. How many long term expensive deals have really worked out well for ANY team? How many have been flops? Baseball is littered with expensive FAs who have not lived up to their billing. Pujols. Arod. Hamilton. Texeira...just to name a few. I am sure others can come up with many more names. And this guy hasn't even thrown a single pitch to a US MLB batter yet! Dumb move by the Yankees, more than likely, and one born out of desperation. I admit I might be wrong about this, but I think this is a great day to be a Red Sox fan.

If the Yankees never learning earned them the best or second best record in the division every single year for 20 years except for two years... then what do they need to learn?  That money can buy a good team... yes, yes it can.  The last time they finished without being 1st or 2nd in the division was 2008 and they won a championship in 2009 after opening the wallet.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

What they did learn is that the fans will not go to watch a team that stinks as evidenced by the lowest attendance since the 90s.  I think any Red Sox fan that does not respect the Yankees close to unlimited payroll is a fool or is too young to have seen much of the past.

The game is changing. The way you successfully build contenders nowadays is not the same as it was back in the 90s and before. Even the Yankees do not have an unlimited budget. In the last 10 years the Sox have three rings; the Yankees have one. The Sox farm system is flush with many potentially very good prospects, especially pitchers; the Yankee farm system is near bankrupt, at least at the upper levels. The Sox shed the long term expensive contracts that were, by most accounts, mistakes; the Yankees keep taking on more of them. I am not underestimating any team, but when you look at which approach, which strategy has worked to put a team in good position to compete for a ring recently, it has not been the Yankees. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

The game has changed many times over in the past hundred years.  The Yanks are the single most successful team in the past said hundred years in any professional sports.  I think they have what never goes out of style... a close to unlimited bank account.

In the past 20 years, the Red Sox have had the best record in the division exactly three times.  The Yanks have had the best record in the division 14 times.

http://mlb.mlb.com/bos/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

The Yankees have 10 of the last 13 division titles in that time as well, so it's not like they have not been successful lately.  Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees do not look like an aging team and I agree that the farm system is pretty weak there right now.  What I am saying is that I have counted the Yankees out personally so many times in the past 20 years and they pulled some magic out of their wallet that I won't be so cocky.

Fact is that this is still a business and in business, he who has the biggest checkbook has the biggest advantage... same rules work on a poker table as they do in business and sports.

The difference isn't the biggest wallet, it's comparing good business to bad. 

Our first two championships were primarily assembled by previous management and only featured one player (Manny) who was signed long term and making 20mil a year so I give our FO a lot of credit.  After 07 we got desperate for another championship but thankfully It took our FO only a year to figure out Theo's version of the Yankees wasn't the way to go. 

We now have three WC's in the past decade while being set up to do the same moving forward.  Some of our key veterans also take home town discounts because of the way our organization is run, not due to greed.  Moving forward my guess is very few (if any) of our youngsters will ever make 20mil and signed for 7 years because there is usually someone to take their place within our organization when they become FA's.

That's the difference between good business and bad.  Low risk, high payback on your investment. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I do think the Yanks, because only they can afford it, and they deserve it more than  others, should be allowed a sort fielder, and a designated runner from home to first to take some of the physical and mental pressure off some of there senior members.  Also , opening day they should be given a five game lead due to angst suffered, as a result of fan expectations. And if there is ever a hard cap all these measures will have to be instituted immediately.  It would be neat to see Jeter with a caddy to help him with those nasty ground balls in the hole!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

hey zac...go f|_|c|< yourself.  how about that?

oh my that's not like U NC

seems like signing tanaka has

knocked funny boy off his game

Hey Zac, Congrats on the signing. By all reports the yankees landed a stud.

Poor Slasher sounds like he took a big one. Poor sport.

That and the signing news also got TWM to come out of hiding.

Must say I missed the old guy during the Sox championship run.

One more thing.

CC looks like he misplaced half of himself.

Now we should refer to him as cc.

thanks HH

I knew I could count on you 2 get it

how hard is it 2 say

congrats nyy fans you just got better

which should make next season better for all of us

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

One more thing.

thanks HH

how hard is it 2 say

I also agree you probably got a lot better by signing Tanaka zac.  I just don't agree with the big contracts handed out by the Yanks and the impact it has had on salaries across the league over the years. 

With that said you know I still wish you luck next season.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

At the beggining of the off season, I said I wanted Jose Abreu and Tanaka. We would have gotten younger, 4 picks and had surplus pitching to trade. And we might have gotten better.

I am a big believer in Tanaka. I expect a 4-5 win player. He was the one guy I feared the Yankees getting. This move makes the Yankees a threat again. However, since I saw the Yankees as a low 80 win team, this just brings them to a high 80 win team. I still fear the Rays more. I think the Yankees are the 3rd best team in the AL East.

The money was about what I was willing to pay. Maybe a little more.

This might get Lester to think he has to get 20 million. If so, I don't extend Lester. I play it out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The Yankees have 10 of the last 13 division titles in that time as well, so it's not like they have not been successful lately.  Look, I'm not saying that the Yankees do not look like an aging team and I agree that the farm system is pretty weak there right now.  What I am saying is that I have counted the Yankees out personally so many times in the past 20 years and they pulled some magic out of their wallet that I won't be so cocky.

Who is counting the Yankees out? What I am saying is that their strategy of paying big name FAs big bucks, starting with Arod and Tex, has put them deep in a hole. They are a desperate team right now, paying a guy who has never played in the US over $20M for seven years. Thats EXACTLY the kind of mistake they have made many times in the past and has lead them to be an aging team with a weak farm system, one that "has not been successful lately". With their bankbook they can buy some success in the near term but EVERY team has a limit. I look at the Rays and the Red Sox as teams that have learned how its done. If the Rays had half the Sox's resources they could easily have won a couple of rings in the last 10 years.

I am not counting the Yankees out, but I think they have made another colossal blunder by paying Tanaka that much money for that long; its a HUGE risk and it will likely make them a weaker team in the future, not a stronger one. And for right now, they are not in as good a shape as the Red Sox are.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

One more thing.

thanks HH

how hard is it 2 say

With all due respect Zac, it remains to be seen if this move makes you guys better. It will certainly make the team less rich however.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

this is not a "single out" thing here...c'mon guys...let's chill a little...it's just sports...Cool

tell that to your comrade zac who continuously does it.  i'm done with sitting back while he takes s|-|ot after s|-|0t.  he can take a flying leap...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

At the beggining of the off season, I said I wanted Jose Abreu and Tanaka. We would have gotten younger, 4 picks and had surplus pitching to trade. And we might have gotten better.

I am a big believer in Tanaka. I expect a 4-5 win player. He was the one guy I feared the Yankees getting. This move makes the Yankees a threat again. However, since I saw the Yankees as a low 80 win team, this just brings them to a high 80 win team. I still fear the Rays more. I think the Yankees are the 3rd best team in the AL East.

The money was about what I was willing to pay. Maybe a little more.

This might get Lester to think he has to get 20 million. If so, I don't extend Lester. I play it out.

Boston will only pay Lester 20mil if the deal makes sense for the team.  Thats the difference between us and the Yankees, all our veterans know this.  As a result they take home town discounts to stay in the organization, or millions more to go elsewhere for the security which I don't blame them for but respect much less.   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

hugh

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees have improved and will be a wild card contender next year....but I think at the end of the day they are marginally better than they were last year and have spent MILLIONS to do so.

I enjoy most of your posts

but IMO U like many others here 

spend 2 much time talking about the money

once we C the green grass and the guys  on the field

do the umpires or other team care what the guy on the mound or in the box is making

I know I don't

they say U can do anything w/numbers

U say ''spent MILLIONS to do so''

I say last yr they spent 230

and so far this yr

New York Yankees Payroll In 2014 Is Now $196 MIL (AAV) With Tanaka Added

still a .500 team next season.  and this should put them up over luxury tax once again.

"still a .500 team next season"

So you're telling me with Tanaka in their rotation they will have a worst record than a year ago.

No wonder your referred to as NC.

They lost Cano but they filled holes in their lineup and one should expect more from Jeter and Tek then they got a year ago.

yup.  they wont come close to winning all those 1 run games they did last year.  why?  mo.

that's why.  what say you?  let me guess...the yankees win 100, right?

One more thing.

thanks HH

how hard is it 2 say

lets see how many games your 8th inning setup and your man robertson blow for mr tanaka.  thats how.  those 18 years of "automatic saves" are OVAH.  you have had auto save for so long you have no idea what you are in for. 

THATS WHY.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

hugh

Don't get me wrong, the Yankees have improved and will be a wild card contender next year....but I think at the end of the day they are marginally better than they were last year and have spent MILLIONS to do so.

I enjoy most of your posts

but IMO U like many others here 

spend 2 much time talking about the money

once we C the green grass and the guys  on the field

do the umpires or other team care what the guy on the mound or in the box is making

I know I don't

they say U can do anything w/numbers

U say ''spent MILLIONS to do so''

I say last yr they spent 230

and so far this yr

New York Yankees Payroll In 2014 Is Now $196 MIL (AAV) With Tanaka Added

I do, Zac. I also think about PED use. They have both, and contunue to ruin the game, IMO. They go hand in hand. The media discuss the money, all the time. Along with it comes the criticism of the player, if they dont perform up to terms of the contract.

I guess it's harder than I thought to say

With all due respect Zac, it remains to be seen if this move makes you guys better.

let me help U mr green

tanaka is replacing P-Hu 4-14 last hr

30-16 in 1 run games last year.  that wasnt because of any SP.  please tell me how the BP got better this offseason?

I also agree you probably got a lot better by signing Tanaka zac.  I just don't agree with the big contracts handed out by the Yanks and the impact it has had on salaries across the league over the years. 

With that said you know I still wish you luck next season.

thanks crazy

I think we could come up with a pretty long list of of things

that the cost have gone up over the yrs that we don't like

but why blame the yankees

Y not just arod ;-)

lets see how many games your 8th inning setup and your man robertson blow for mr tanaka.  thats how.  those 18 years of "automatic saves" are OVAH.  you have had auto save for so long you have no idea what you are in for. 

THATS WHY.

how many saves did mo have in 2012

but yes I agree they need another BP plus arm

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I do, Zac. I also think about PED use. They have both, and contunue to ruin the game, IMO. They go hand in hand. The media discuss the money, all the time. Along with it comes the criticism of the player, if they dont perform up to terms of the contract.

what do U mean Jbay

ruin what game BB is doing as good as ever

U saying we should B more like the media and

only the yanks give big contracts and have users ?

I guess it's harder than I thought to say

With all due respect Zac, it remains to be seen if this move makes you guys better.

let me help U mr green

tanaka is replacing P-Hu 4-14 last hr

No one knows with certainty how well Tanaka will pitch in the US. True, he is replacing another Yankee failure in Hughes, but at a great cost. Had they signed him for what Darvish is making I would be first in line to congratulate you guys on obtaining what should turn out to be a great value. That is not what happened. Hughes is a crappy value because he stinks; Tanaka is a crappy value because he is likely grossly overpaid. Even the Yankees have a limit. If they didn't they would be out there signing guys like Kershaw and Cano. In overpaying Tanaka their ability to go out and get better quality players is diminished. You build great teams that can compete for years by obtaining great VALUE in who you sign, as well as by building your farm system. It remains to be seen how much value Tanaka will provide, but my guess is that he won't be worth the money.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

what do U mean Jbay

ruin what game BB is doing as good as ever

U saying we should B more like the media and

only the yanks give big contracts and have users ?

PED use = BIG contracts. When did baseball make a comeback....McQuire and Sosa, making a run for the HR crown. Both PED users.

You said too many here talk too much about money...so does the media; ie Hamilton and Pujols, re contract vs value. I said nothing about the Yankees in my post. It was a general answer to your question, regarding who cares or thinks about who is making what.

Congrats on Tanaka, I hope he's as sucessful in NY, as Dice K was, in Boston. I mean that, sincerely. Tongue Out

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

this is not a "single out" thing here...c'mon guys...let's chill a little...it's just sports...Cool

tell that to your comrade zac who continuously does it.  i'm done with sitting back while he takes s|-|ot after s|-|0t.  he can take a flying leap...

i hear ya Slash, like i said, wasn't singling you out, certainly meant Zac too, just didn't want either of you to get to the point where that kind of stuff has to be said, you certainly have every right to say, just didn't think you guys needed to go there...if you wish i'll respectfully butt out.. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Let's forget all the bird seed and take an objective look at this.  The Sox finished 12 games ahead of the Yankees in 2013. This off season, the Yankees have made some bold moves to close that gap. The Sox have been content to pretty much sit tight. We have really not done anything to improve the team. Right now, you could make the case that the Sox are not as good a team as in 2013 , depending on the play of two rookies at critical positions. Talented rookies to be sure, but still rookies.  However, it is a championship team to begin with.  Now , only the 2014 season will tell the tale.  Too much is made of the payroll. The payroll is whatever the owners are willing to spend. These are all wealthy men. Some are willing to spend more than others. No sense complaining about it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

"he can take a flying leap..."

Wow.

Appears you like to give it but simply can't take it.

There's a name for that and it starts with p and ends with y.

Turns out you're easy to upset.

• Sections
    Shortcuts