Yankees trying to Trade Gardner

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Yankees trying to Trade Gardner

In response to solareclipse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They are working hard to try and give the appearance "we're going to keep him for defense with Ellsbury", but it's hollow. Any team that makes a higher rated prospect offer will get Gardner for sure. Wells is a dead trade asset, and the DH depth chart is heavy, to say the least. With Wells and Ellsbury and Ichiro and Soriano (2 more old dead trade assets), the Yankees only decent trade OF profile is Gardner. 

ESPN is a joke on sport journalism. It's nothing but a ratings ad business. 

While the Yankees might not get another team to offer a good enough prospect such that Gardner isn't traded and ends up as injury insurance/depth, he is on the market in the true sense.

The irony is that if you look at Garnder and Ellsbury career splits you will see that Ellsbury isn't that much better than Gardner. Better, yes, but not that much better. I think Gardner is a better OF defender, Gardner has the slightly better OBP and Ellsbury is the better but no way better slugger, HR and OPS profile. But, folks, when you put it all together, who in their right mind signs Ellsbury over Granderson or Ellsbury over Gardner and surrenders a draft pick and a ton more money? 

It's taboo because of the fear of backfire embarrassment, but if the Red Sox didn't have Bradley I would look to acquire Gardner who is, in fact, just short of fire sell mode. 

[/QUOTE]

Only Brian Cashman is capable of such non-sense.  Furthermore, it's rumored he's interested in bringing back Ibanez.  If there's a worse GM in baseball I don't know about it.  I hope the yankees keep him as GM forever!!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to solareclipse's comment:

He was never one of the better GM's in my eyes, but I think he's become wealthier and lazier. Some of these moves, as you point out, are just laughable! In his defense, it's hard to know how heavy handed Levine or Steiny, Jr is, but a lot of these recent moves are like the movie "Dumb and Dumber".

When they extended A-Roid I cheered and laughed an imaginary wheelchair DNC propaganda ad over a cliff! 

The Yankees are hoping Ells turns out to be another Damon.  A leadoff batter who will hit for more power with the short fence.  I'm sure Ells will have some good years but nowhere near the consistent career Damon did playing over 140 games every year.

Yankees have always chosen power and past success over all else including their farm.  The Jacoby signing will bite them at some point.   Maybe even sooner than expected because Jacoby's body is no where near as durable as Damon or Gardner in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I mostly agree.  I don't know why the NYY haven't extended Gardner, and the idea of signing Beltran to essentially replace Gardner, makes no sense to me.

If I were the NYY, I would have extended Gradner, passed on Ells, and filled in LF and RF around him.

Choice 2 would've been, if I were intent on signing Ells, I'd have played Gardner, Ells, and Ichiro across the OF, with Soriano as the DH.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I mostly agree.  I don't know why the NYY haven't extended Gardner, and the idea of signing Beltran to essentially replace Gardner, makes no sense to me.

If I were the NYY, I would have extended Gradner, passed on Ells, and filled in LF and RF around him.

Choice 2 would've been, if I were intent on signing Ells, I'd have played Gardner, Ells, and Ichiro across the OF, with Soriano as the DH.

One thought Joe and I totally agree.  I think the Yankees were just being the Yankees and threw an absurd amount of money at Ells to keep Boston from bringing him back.  He should hit more HR's but will never stay in their lineup each year like Damon did.  When you look at Choo who in my opinion is also a safer bet (long term) than Ells nobody has even come close paying Boras's demands for him.

The Jacoby signing may hurt Choo in my opinion.  He may need to take less years somewhere.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have no idea how they signed Jake before Cano. As for the rest of the team 

of 2  30 yr olds and 37, 38, & 40 and the 3 have been going south for the past 4 years

Inf  seriously what is left is not very good.

gardner is the best trade chip but then you have an even worse OF.

last place this year IMHO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

of 2  30 yr olds and 37, 38, & 40 and the 3 have been going south for the past 4 years

Jimbo, don't throw away that crystal ball receipt :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/yankees-have-absolutely-no-intention-of-trading-gardner.html

They certainly are keeping up the "not trading" aspect of it.

I don't see why they are so adamant about keeping him (except maybe to drive up the price?).  But the reality is, everyone knows they have glaring weaknesses in the rotation and no solution at 2B that anyone can name.   And a surplus of outfielders no one wants, except maybe Garnder.

If it is a charade, it is not a well-conceived one...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Jimbo, don't throw away that crystal ball receipt :-)

[/QUOTE]

LMAO jeet

did JB really suggest that Ichiro was better than beltran ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They signed Beltran to replace Cano's bat in the middle of the lineup and play RF with Gardner playing left where his range and defensive abiltiy at Yankee stadium is a nessesity. Who along with Ells in center give them one of the best defensive outfields in baseball. Soriano will see time in left as well but more likely is the everyday DH. 

Ichiro might well be the 4th outfielder and Wells will likely be traded for a song...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As of now, if healthy, then I see the Yankees as an 88-victory ballclub.  In the AL East, I still fear the Rays more than the Yankees because of their solid pitching staff (even after they trade David Price).  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

IMO when the yanks signed Ell's they knew than that Cano wasn't coming back. They needed to try to soften the blow with a Ell's signing. I would have gone in a different direction. Yankees need to rebuild their farm and giving up draft picks isn't how you do that. They should have done this winter what they didn't do last winter and that is sign their own free agents. That alone would be enough to compete next season. They won 89 games without key players that were injured. That team with one additional starter would have been good enough going into 2014.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it's simple.  they need pitching.  they have 17 outfielders.  the only tradeable OF'er is Gardner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

They will trade Ichiro and each some of his money. Soriano will mainly DH and Beltran will play RF. Wells will be the fourth OFer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It shouldn't be too hard to trade a couple OF'ers. The high-priced ones are being mostly paid for by their previous teams.

Wells ~$6M then FA

Soriano ~$5M then FA

Suzuki  ~$6.5M then FA

Gardner Last arb year then FA

Ellsbury (CF) & Beltran (RF/LF/DH) are staying for a while.

Since one OF'er can DH and be the 4th/5th OF'er, the Yanks almost certainly will trade one OF'er, but 2 is a possibility as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It shouldn't be too hard to trade a couple OF'ers. The high-priced ones are being mostly paid for by their previous teams.

Wells ~$6M then FA

Soriano ~$5M then FA

Suzuki  ~$6.5M then FA

Gardner Last arb year then FA

Ellsbury (CF) & Beltran (RF/LF/DH) are staying for a while.

Since one OF'er can DH and be the 4th/5th OF'er, the Yanks almost certainly will trade one OF'er, but 2 is a possibility as well.

[/QUOTE]

Except the money paid by the signing team does not necessarily follow a traded player.  The Angels owe their contribution to the Yankees, not to Wells.  So any deal would require further negotiation about included money.

If it was easy to move Wells, he would already be gone...