Yankees went cheap on bullpen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Yankees went cheap on bullpen

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yankee relievers gave up 3 runs in the 8th last night by issuing 6 walks.

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees pitching has major issues Hfx while it's the only thing keeping our team somewhat alive.  Like our lack of depth and sketchy defense The Yankees pitching may be a struggle for them all season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees pitching has major issues Hfx while it's the only thing keeping our team somewhat alive.  Like our lack of depth and sketchy defense The Yankees pitching may be a struggle for them all season.

[/QUOTE]

Then Giradi gets tossed arguing a 1-1 count. I have no idea what he could be mad about. He said the ump was talking to him like he was a little kid.. I think Joe was mad his team had the bases loaded in the top half OF THE 8 with no outs and scored 0, that is where his anger came into play. Just a guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Too be fair, they did have to deal with Laz Dias behind the plate.

Still, to walk the batting order around is a special feat.

Too bad it was on too late to watch! LOL
    [object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

Then Giradi gets tossed arguing a 1-1 count. I have no idea what he could be mad about. He said the ump was talking to him like he was a little kid..

''he gave me the Mutombo''

LOL

I think Joe was mad his team had the bases loaded in the top half OF THE 8 with no outs and scored 0, that is where his anger came into play. Just a guess.

fair guess except that  joe got booted with no outs in that inning

so unless he's clairvoyant let's go with the mutombo finger pointing

"I mentioned to Laz in a respectful way that I thought the pitch was up to Kelly Johnson earlier in the game and he gave me the Mutombo,'' Girardi said, imitating a wagging index finger. "I don't appreciate that. I'm not a little kid. I don't need to be scolded. Obviously we're trying to work together and I just thought there were a lot of inconsistencies tonight.

"It's the biggest pitch of the game to that point,'' Girardi said of the 1-0 to Gardner that Diaz called a strike. "It's a lot different, 2-0. It changes the whole at-bat. Now the pressure is clearly on the pitcher."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Seriously, what can the Yankees have been thinking letting Logan go and replacing him with Thornton?  Nice cost-cutting move, perhaps, terrible baseball move.

Thornton registered a WHIP of 1.76 with the Sox last year and it's 1.80 so far this year.  He still throws 94-96 but that's all he's got.  His command is brutal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Didn't take TWM very long this season to vanish.

Pounding his chest early on has been replaced with golden silence.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

expected, but always good to point out.  nice job HH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

expected, but always good to point out.  nice job HH.

[/QUOTE]

My pleasure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hingham Hammer's comment:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've been here, reading posts like I always do. What is it you would like me to comment on?

Pounding my chest early? That's pretty comical. You wish. Show me the posts where I was dumb enough to do that. I've watched way too much baseball to that especially this early in the season. 

I've said numerous times that the health of any given team in the ALE will determine who finishes where. 

Still to early to sort things out, both the Yankees and Rays hit by the injury bug particularly the rotation and it certainly doesn't seem to be age related.

Betances looking extremely good working out of the pen, the pitcher HH has mocked for a few years and called a flop, while I just countered with sometimes it takes certain prospects longer to develop, no two are alike. Coming in against the Brewers with the bases full one out wiffing both batters the second Carlos Gomez to end the inning.

Btw my presence wasn't missed after a few Sox losses then the bravado changes to attack mode after a couple of Sox wins and a few Yankee game and player losses. Presto HH back in the saddle.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Seriously, what can the Yankees have been thinking letting Logan go and replacing him with Thornton?  Nice cost-cutting move, perhaps, terrible baseball move.

Thornton registered a WHIP of 1.76 with the Sox last year and it's 1.80 so far this year.  He still throws 94-96 but that's all he's got.  His command is brutal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree with your point about Thornton. I scratched my head when they signed him although letting Logan walk didn't bring any tears.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Betances looking extremely good working out of the pen, the pitcher HH has mocked for a few years and called a flop, while I just countered with sometimes it takes certain prospects longer to develop, no two are alike. Coming in against the Brewers with the bases full one out wiffing both batters the second Carlos Gomez to end the inning.

Better than good, TWM, but Betances was drafted and developed to be a starter, wasn't he?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

J-BAY's comment:

"Betances looking extremely good working out of the pen, the pitcher HH has mocked for a few years and called a flop, while I just countered with sometimes it takes certain prospects longer to develop, no two are alike. Coming in against the Brewers with the bases full one out wiffing both batters the second Carlos Gomez to end the inning."

Better than good, TWM, but Betances was drafted and developed to be a starter, wasn't he?

Yes he was in 2006, but Mariano was also a starter early on.

Betances did not really excel at the farm level until he was moved into the pen and I don't expect him to go back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Cue the delusional yankee fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Yes he was in 2006, but Mariano was also a starter early on.

Betances did not really excel at the farm level until he was moved into the pen and I don't expect him to go back.

TIMEOUT...HOLDUP.....did you just compare Betances to the great mariano rivera????  yup, you did.  did you really think i would let you get away with that?????

back to the new mariano.....guess the most IP that Betances has had in a season in his MLB career? 

that's right - 20ip (this year).  it's may 13th.  how's that arm going to feel after....oh....another 3 or 4 months??? 

pssssst.....that's an unknown basket you are putting all your eggs in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

slasher9's comment:

TIMEOUT...HOLDUP.....did you just compare Betances to the great mariano rivera????  yup, you did.  did you really think i would let you get away with that?????

back to the new mariano.....guess the most IP that Betances has had in a season in his MLB career? 

that's right - 20ip (this year).  it's may 13th.  how's that arm going to feel after....oh....another 3 or 4 months??? 

pssssst.....that's an unknown basket you are putting all your eggs in.

Only a nincompoop would misconstrue what I posted.

You're like HH you have nothing else to grasp onto so you take my post entirely out of context.

Let me break it down real slow for you so you can understand.

Mariano began his career as a starter in the Yankee organization where he struggled then found his niche coming out of the pen, Betances can do the same thing.

Now, did I compare Betances skill level in any way with Mariano?

How stupid would that be to compare a rookie with a little over a month under his belt to the greatest closer ever who had a 20 year career?

The point I made was the similar situations they both found themselves in as young prospects trying to break into the big leagues, after both had limited success working out of the rotation they worked better out of the pen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Matt Thorton says it all for me

He got cut from A World Series team and the bottom feeders jump all over him

Just like Belhorn, Myers, Embree, etc etc etc

One of the most enjoyable things about being a Red Sox fan is watching yankee fans have to root for former Red Sox players.  You know, the ones yankee fans on these boards butchered but when they put on the pin stripes they are Gods.  And they wonder why we think they are all weenies.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Matt Thorton says it all for me

He got cut from A World Series team and the bottom feeders jump all over him

Just like Belhorn, Myers, Embree, Aceves, etc etc etc

One of the most enjoyable things about being a Red Sox fan is watching yankee fans have to root for former Red Sox players.  You know, the ones yankee fans on these boards butchered but when they put on the pin stripes they are Gods.  And they wonder why we think they are all weenies.......

[/QUOTE]

You got it backwards.

The Sox signed Aceves after he had success with the 2008-2009 Yankees where he got a WS ring.

Looks like a case of foot in mouth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Injuries to key players for the Yankees are mounting. Apparently Beltran left last night's game in the 7th inning. Here is the quote from ESPN about the mounting injuries for the Yanks: 

The veteran outfielder is expected to undergo an MRI after a hyperextended right elbow forced him out in the seventh inning Monday. Beltran is mired in a 5-for-43 skid, but ranks fourth on the team with 15 RBIs.
    First baseman Mark Teixeira didn't start because of a tight left groin and right fielder Ichiro Suzuki and reliever Shawn Kelley were also missing due to their aching backs.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Teixiera is in the line-up this evening. Injuries are part of the game. You play on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Injuries to key players for the Yankees are mounting. Apparently Beltran left last night's game in the 7th inning. Here is the quote from ESPN about the mounting injuries for the Yanks: 

The veteran outfielder is expected to undergo an MRI after a hyperextended right elbow forced him out in the seventh inning Monday. Beltran is mired in a 5-for-43 skid, but ranks fourth on the team with 15 RBIs.
    First baseman Mark Teixeira didn't start because of a tight left groin and right fielder Ichiro Suzuki and reliever Shawn Kelley were also missing due to their aching backs.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Suzuki too.  After his failed catch attempt that had him FACE PLANTED on Sunday.  Old men should not be diving around!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

the problem is Cashman builds his team around superstars and neglects roster spots after the first 10 guys; since that is usually 75% of his payroll.  Then he has 25% of his pay to allocate to 15 slots.

World Series games are often determined by the 24th and 25th men on rosters.  Cashman should know more than anyone - from Dave Roberts to Okie to Breslow and yet he will never change a thing.  Thank you Mr Cashman!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

The Yankees primary set up men, Warren and Betances were unavailable last night because they were used quite a bit in Milwaukee. That being said, Warren and Betances have been terrific this year. The Yankees have problems, but I have been very happy with their bullpen so far.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to PhilTheAce's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees primary set up men, Warren and Betances were unavailable last night because they were used quite a bit in Milwaukee. That being said, Warren and Betances have been terrific this year. The Yankees have problems, but I have been very happy with their bullpen so far.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But because of the injuries to the rotation and the starters not giving innings the Yankee bullpen is being stressed too much too early.

I think Whitley will be brought up to fill in for Sabathia's next start. Allmonte was called up today to fill in in the outfield.

As I said here before the season started you can never have enough depth in the rotation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Teixiera is in the line-up this evening. Injuries are part of the game. You play on.

[/QUOTE]

Beltran may be out for a while. Surgery may be on the horizon. The Yankees are a relatively old team and while injuries are part of the game, they will happen more often with older players. The Sox have their share of older guys too. I do not wish injuries on anyone, but I do wish loss after loss on the Yankees.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140513&content_id=75328484&notebook_id=75341616&vkey=notebook_nyy&c_id=nyy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

His gold glove is not. He's the DH

Sections
Shortcuts