Yankees Working To Void Alex Rodriguez's Contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yankees Working To Void Alex Rodriguez's Contract

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Everyone here now practicing attorneys, I honestly don't know how this will play out however I doubt he ever wear Yankee pinstripes again.

Here is a detailed take from Forbes of how Arod may have violated the terms of his contract.

Alex Rodriguez's Days With The Yankees May Be Numbered

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2013/01/29/alex-rodriguezs-days-with-the-yankees-may-be-numbered/

Numbered all right.....

5 more years.

Manny paid by the Sox until 2027 more of a sure thing Brevador.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Everyone here now practicing attorneys, I honestly don't know how this will play out however I doubt he ever wear Yankee pinstripes again.

Here is a detailed take from Forbes of how Arod may have violated the terms of his contract.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2013/01/29/alex-rodriguezs-days-with-the-yankees-may-be-numbered/

Numbered all right.....

5 more years.

And I bet the total of that money owed isn't much more than one year of the A-Rod cotract.

Otherwise, you've included the amount, not just the years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Numbered all right.....

5 more years.

And I bet the total of that money owed isn't much more than one year of the A-Rod cotract.

I think 32 Mil was owed to Manny by the Sox for non services.

And of course he's failed two tests since.

His money is guaranteed.

Whether or not ARod collects his remaining 114 mil remains to be seen.

And of course the insurance money possibilities.

We'll see soon enough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I'm guessing as soon as MLB acts the Yankees intentions will become known in every media venue in the country.

Will be hard to keep this story under wraps with Lawyers involved.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Numbered all right.....

5 more years.

His money is guaranteed.

I'm not sure I see your pint.

Manny wasn't going to
    produce for the Sox, whether he failed two tests or not.

They traded him.

I'm sure the sox knew it was lost money going in.

But, hey, if you need to think that situation campares to spot the the Yankee find themselves in today, have at it.

It should be a fun show, watching the Yankees try to get out of that contract.

But, you never know; A-Rod might do the right thing, for once in his life, and settle...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

All licensed attorney's are practicing, TWM. Obviously no one does. My only point was, dealing with contracts, to make them voidable, it has to be a clause very specific to the issue and has to be proven legally, the terms were broken. There will be a lot of legal wrangling and doubt this will be resolved, any time soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In a related story, I am working hard to void my mortgage payments..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

LOL, notin....let me know if you're sucessful. Wouldn't mind doing that myself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Odds of his contract taking a hit? (No pun intended). Like his per dollar performance (especially going forward), practically nil.

This will be unpopular with some, but I don't think the Yankees should be able to cancel his contract - or any other team/player combination -  unless there is specific language prohibiting certain behaviour(s).  And "outside medical attention" is not sufficient to cancel a $114m contract IMO.

I believe many/every person connected with MLB knew for years that many players were taking PEDS and chose to turn a blind eye.  Now teams might be stuck with terrible contracts due, in part in all probability, to PEDS and want to find a way to wriggle out of them?  No way, they had to have known the risks.

Insurance companies?  In my small high school in the late 70s it was widely assumed that a bunch of the football team were taking something....but maybe the  super aggressive 16-17 year olds experiencing massive muscle growth, severe acne on their body, etc. were the victims of rumours.  Certainly at Uni in the 80s I knew guys in the gym that would openly talk about it.  Early 90s?  Used to laugh with friends about the Brady Andersons and their impossible transformations. 

My point?  If a little nobody from little nothing town had been aware of rampant steriod use among amateur athletes for 20 years than billion dollar insurance companies either knew there was such risk out there and ignored it or were grossly negligent for not knowing and are reaping what they sowed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Numbered all right.....

5 more years.

His money is guaranteed.

I'm not sure I see your pint.

Manny wasn't going to
    produce for the Sox, whether he failed two tests or not.

They traded him.

I'm sure the sox knew it was lost money going in.

But, hey, if you need to think that situation campares to spot the the Yankee find themselves in today, have at it.

It should be a fun show, watching the Yankees try to get out of that contract.

But, you never know; A-Rod might do the right thing, for once in his life, and settle...

My post which you responded to was directed at brevador, him yukking up the situation the Yankees find themselves in then me pointing out to him that there is a little bit of hypocrisy there because of what the Sox owe Manny.

I'm not sure if it is comparable to where the Yankees are and won't know until it plays itself out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

All licensed attorney's are practicing, TWM. Obviously no one does. My only point was, dealing with contracts, to make them voidable, it has to be a clause very specific to the issue and has to be proven legally, the terms were broken. There will be a lot of legal wrangling and doubt this will be resolved, any time soon.

Did you read the Forbes article?

Just curious.

Obvious Brevador did not.

I don't know how this will work out.

Could end up being a pay-off to make Arod go away.

I doubt the charges are not true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Yes, I did read it, TWM.  My feeling is, neither clause referenced is specific enough, in relation to the PED issue. Anything can be easily argued, which is where Roy Black comes in. He also sucessfully represented Rush Limbaugh on his illegal RX drug use charges, several years ago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Yes, I did read it, TWM.  My feeling is, neither clause referenced is specific enough, in relation to the PED issue. Anything can be easily argued, which is where Roy Black comes in. He also sucessfully represented Rush Limbaugh on his illegal RX drug use charges, several years ago.

And William Kennedy Smith off of rape charges if you remember that one.

Brought in sand experts from around the globe. A real tough defense lawyer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As a Yankee fan, I can only hope he retires, especially if new allegations are proven true. If he doesn't and the Yanks cannot void the contract, I would sit his derriere on the end of the bench for the next 5 years and be done with him. Give him zero chance of even hitting 700 HR's. 

If cleared of all allegations, hopefully the Dr. tells him to retire anyway.

Moving forward, any MLB team that signs a player to any contract must start putting in PED's clauses. If caught during or if proven that in the past a players used PED's - the contract is null and void and a breach of contract suit can be brought onto the player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

As a Yankee fan, I can only hope he retires, especially if new allegations are proven true. If he doesn't and the Yanks cannot void the contract, I would sit his derriere on the end of the bench for the next 5 years and be done with him. Give him zero chance of even hitting 700 HR's. 

If cleared of all allegations, hopefully the Dr. tells him to retire anyway.

Moving forward, any MLB team that signs a player to any contract must start putting in PED's clauses. If caught during or if proven that in the past a players used PED's - the contract is null and void and a breach of contract suit can be brought onto the player.

As a Sox fan I hope he is able and willing to play but his decline continues, leaving the Yankees on the hook for 5 more years.

I don't disagree with your last paragraph, but think in practical terms it would be a nightmare to enforce e.g. what does "PED" mean, what if a given or new substance is not illegal, what is the burden of proof, ad nauseum.  The solution might be worse than the problem unless one is a brilliant, high-powered lawyer like Stiffy who would be able to add to his giant gold hoard as multiple cases dragged through the courts for years......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

No way!!  If Yankees voided his contract, I am sure there will be other teams will try to void their contracts with their own players if they are related to A-Rod investigation.

Come on.  Boston were stuck with two players that have been know of using PED, and never thought of voiding their contracts. 

Yankees is just trying to find a way to get rid of A-Rod cuz they knew he is not going to help the team to get any better in the next five year at the same time they are paying him 30 mm dollars a year!!  It is their fault for making a stupid deal with A-Rod, and now they are finding an easy way out!!

Boston will make sure it is not going to happen!!

Boston has nothing to do with this. Otherwise, you're right.

What i mean to say that Boston will make sure that the Yankees cant void the contract!!!

I got it the 1st time; as I thought I said before, I don't see how they have any tangible influence on the outcome.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I blame the Yankees for this mess.  They (Steinbrenners) are the ones who wanted to give him a ten-year deal.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

No way!!  If Yankees voided his contract, I am sure there will be other teams will try to void their contracts with their own players if they are related to A-Rod investigation.

Come on.  Boston were stuck with two players that have been know of using PED, and never thought of voiding their contracts. 

Yankees is just trying to find a way to get rid of A-Rod cuz they knew he is not going to help the team to get any better in the next five year at the same time they are paying him 30 mm dollars a year!!  It is their fault for making a stupid deal with A-Rod, and now they are finding an easy way out!!

Boston will make sure it is not going to happen!!

Boston has nothing to do with this. Otherwise, you're right.

What i mean to say that Boston will make sure that the Yankees cant void the contract!!!

I got it the 1st time; as I thought I said before, I don't see how they have any tangible influence on the outcome.

The only way the Sox or any other MLB team would have any say in voiding A-Rods contract would be if the Yankees took the approach of him violating/breaking section 7(B) of the Major League Uniform Players Contract which states..........

7.(b) The Club may terminate [a] contract upon written notice to the Player (but only after requesting and obtaining waivers of this contract from all other Major League Clubs) if the Player shall at any time: (1) fail, refuse or neglect to conform his personal conduct to the standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep himself in first-class physical condition or to obey the Club training rules.

I'm no Lawyer, but the way I read that says to me that the Yankees would have to put him on waivers and then have all of the other 29 teams pass on him.....which I doubt would be a problem, but it is the only way another team could have a say in voiding his contract....meaning that one of the other 29 teams would have to pick the contract up themselves. Again, not a very likely scenario.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There might be an out for the Yanks on the grounds of  'willful transformation into Centaur"

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Except the experts (or at least those recently interviewed) also said it's unlikely.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Fat Hank's salary from the NY Yankees should also become null and void. He is the one who went against the advice of his brother Hal and Cashman and gave him this ridiculous extension. Probably why he is not even allowed near the peanut concessions anymore.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

all the more reason that going forward, any contract should have a clause protecting the team's payroll if a player is caught juicing.  if the player balks at the clause, there's your answer.  walk away.   no more of this " i only used it to heal faster to help the team.."  that's pure BS and no justification.  no more incremental punishment.  kick em to the curb where they belong.  It's a character thing.  Cheat once and you'll likely cheat again. You can't be "a little bit pregnant."

Sections
Shortcuts