Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez

Because he can "play the field", the Yanks have signed an overrated, aging lefty DH who will barely scratch .240 against right handed American League pitching. This  is a move Red Sox fans should cheer....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez

The deal is apparently worth $1.1 million plus incentives...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

un-related news, Mike Cameron retires.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez:
    [QUOTE]un-related news, Mike Cameron retires.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Lol. Exactly, burrito.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Two thoughts here:

1.  Best wishes to Mike Cameron, a class act all the way.

2.  Ibanez is way better looking than Damon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Two thoughts here: 1.  Best wishes to Mike Cameron, a class act all the way. 2.  Ibanez is way better looking than Damon.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Is Yul Brynner "way better looking" than, say, Hideki Matsui??? I thought so....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Chavez is next and the roster is complete. Signing Ibanez was a good move - he still has decent power numbers an cost next to nothing. Damon, Matsui and Vlad were the only other left handed hitters out there and those players will never wear a glove again during a game. Ibanez can still be used in the field every now and then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]Chavez is next and the roster is complete. Signing Ibanez was a good move - he still has decent power numbers an cost next to nothing. Damon, Matsui and Vlad were the only other left handed hitters out there and those players will never wear a glove again during a game. Ibanez can still be used in the field every now and then.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Vlad hits from the right side.  Agree , Ibanez was a good signing. Chavez also.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

Jessey, I am a Yankee fan like you, but I am SO disappointed about this signing. Ibanez might prove me wrong with the short porch, but I can picture him whiffing in critical games in the playoffs. Stay tuned....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Two thoughts here: 1.  Best wishes to Mike Cameron, a class act all the way. 2.  Ibanez is way better looking than Damon.

Kimmi, let me add a wrinkle into this comparitive analysis:

Red Sox Johnny Damon, he of the Breckified Jesus look, or post-Sox clean shaven jocko-monkey Damon?

I would go with Ibanez over post-Sox Damon, but Johnny's old flowing locks puts him over Ibanez' rugged chisel in my book.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Chavez is next and the roster is complete. Signing Ibanez was a good move - he still has decent power numbers an cost next to nothing. Damon, Matsui and Vlad were the only other left handed hitters out there and those players will never wear a glove again during a game. Ibanez can still be used in the field every now and then.

Hi Jessey.  If the Yanks are simply looking for power numbers against righties, then I agree, Ibanez was the way to go.  However, it seems to me that his ability to still play the field is very questionable, so I wouldn't consider that a plus over Damon.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Damon is the better overall hitter and player.   Plus, he's a great clubhouse presence who gives 100% every time out.  (I don't really know how Ibanez is in the clubhouse.)   Damon is probably still asking for too much, but other than money, I'm not sure I understand signing Ibanez over Damon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Is Yul Brynner "way better looking" than, say, Hideki Matsui??? I thought so....
    Posted by teilhardian[/QUOTE]

LOL

I have nothing against Matsui, now that he is no longer wearing pinstripes.  Damon, OTOH, broke my Red Sox heart, and for that, he will never be forgiven.  Don't get me started!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Hi Jessey.  If the Yanks are simply looking for power numbers against righties, then I agree, Ibanez was the way to go.  However, it seems to me that his ability to still play the field is very questionable, so I wouldn't consider that a plus over Damon. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Damon is the better overall hitter and player.   Plus, he's a great clubhouse presence who gives 100% every time out.  (I don't really know how Ibanez is in the clubhouse.)   Damon is probably still asking for too much, but other than money, I'm not sure I understand signing Ibanez over Damon.
    Exactly.....Nice, kimmi....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Kimmi, let me add a wrinkle into this comparitive analysis: Red Sox Johnny Damon, he of the Breckified Jesus look, or post-Sox clean shaven jocko-monkey Damon? I would go with Ibanez over post-Sox Damon, but Johnny's old flowing locks puts him over Ibanez' rugged chisel in my book.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Spot on Spaceman!

Damon was very good-looking when he played for the Red Sox!   With the Yankees, not so much.   LOL about "jocko-monkey".

I've been meaning to tell you that I think you could be my long-lost twin brother.  I almost always read your posts and think to myself, that's exactly what I would have said!   You say it much better than I can though!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Spot on Spaceman! Damon was very good-looking when he played for the Red Sox!   With the Yankees, not so much.   LOL about "jocko-monkey". I've been meaning to tell you that I think you could be my long-lost twin brother.  I almost always read your posts and think to myself, that's exactly what I would have said!   You say it much better than I can though!

Thank you Kimmi!  Now, if you will excuse me, I shall go back to reminiscing about johnny Damon's flowing locks descending from beneath his cap as he strides in gallantly from CF ... Tongue Out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Thank you Kimmi!  Now, if you will excuse me, I shall go back to remisniscing about johnny Damon's flowing locks descending from beneath his cap as he strides in gallantly from CF ... 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

LOL Space, carry on!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]Chavez is next and the roster is complete. Signing Ibanez was a good move - he still has decent power numbers an cost next to nothing. Damon, Matsui and Vlad were the only other left handed hitters out there and those players will never wear a glove again during a game. Ibanez can still be used in the field every now and then.I tend to agree with you Jessey. Ibanez is an excellent addition to an already good hitting line up. Nice left handed bat off the bench especially at YS with that softball type footage out to right field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Where is the other Hammer that was a Red Sox fan?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Softlaw must be so disappointed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : Hi Jessey.  If the Yanks are simply looking for power numbers against righties, then I agree, Ibanez was the way to go.  However, it seems to me that his ability to still play the field is very questionable, so I wouldn't consider that a plus over Damon. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Damon is the better overall hitter and player.   Plus, he's a great clubhouse presence who gives 100% every time out.  (I don't really know how Ibanez is in the clubhouse.)   Damon is probably still asking for too much, but other than money, I'm not sure I understand signing Ibanez over Damon.

At this point in Damon's career, he is not looking to be a LH DH only. He has publicly stated he wants to reach 3,000 (good for him). I think he needs about 275 hits. He  500 + at-bats this year and next year and no way he gets that if signed by NY.

As much as I like Damon - he was never coming to NY and certainly not for one milllion per year.

And although Ibanez in not who I would call in for defensive purposes, he is still a much better choice with a glove in emergency situations than Damon. And the RF porch will give Ibanez 15 HR's in 300 A.B.'s. That is extremely important.

I do hope Damon lands somewhere for 2 years and a chance at 3,000.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks Agree to Terms with Ibanez : At this point in Damon's career, he is not looking to be a LH DH only. He has publicly stated he wants to reach 3,000 (good for him). I think he needs about 275 hits. He  500 + at-bats this year and next year and no way he gets that if signed by NY. As much as I like Damon - he was never coming to NY and certainly not for one milllion per year. And although Ibanez in not who I would call in for defensive purposes, he is still a much better choice with a glove in emergency situations than Damon. And the RF porch will give Ibanez 15 HR's in 300 A.B.'s. That is extremely important. I do hope Damon lands somewhere for 2 years and a chance at 3,000.

That makes sense about Damon not being able to get the # of ABs with the Yankees that he wants to reach 3000 hits.

I really can't say that I have any love left for Damon, not that I hold a grudge or anything  LOL , but as a baseball fan, if he reaches that milestone, I will tip my cap to him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Pour yourself a drink Kimmi. Your good buudy Troll Babe is back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Pour yourself a drink Kimmi. Your good buudy Troll Babe is back.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Oh Lowell, you do make me laugh!  You're very funny!

FWIW, I have nothing against you.

Sections
Shortcuts