YANKS are the only team to pay the luxury tax and for the10th straight year... SOX are far removed, thanks BEN!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: YANKS are the only team to pay the luxury tax and for the10th straight year... SOX are far removed, thanks BEN!

There is nothing wrong with spending money to strengthen your team. I don't mean foolishly spending money. Smart Money after good players

BenC may be looking at the FA list for 2014 and 2015--how good are some of these guys. Are they better thn our Top Prospects? What would it cost to start negotiating now to trade? What could we get for Lester, Buch, Ells('13), Bailey, Salty? Now? If we wait?

I don't like to wait for talent to mature only to find out I'm disappointed. I would trade some blue chippers for some really good players. Ex: I would trade Bogaerts, Webster, Barnes, Cecchini and Rubby DLR  for Stanton and Nolasco or to the D'Backs for a proven guy like Upton and a #3 starting pitcher or to the Rockies for Tulo and their #3 starting pitcher.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: YANKS are the only team to pay the luxury tax and for the10th straight year... SOX are far removed, thanks BEN!

I think the Dodger's payroll is now at around $230 million.  Oakland is at around $55 million. 

It must be nice for the Dodgers to have a 20-year, $6 billion TV deal. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BannedOnTheRun--1918's comment:

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21247466/sox-went-under-luxury-tax-threshold-12

that incredible trade last year did it esp with the $327k or so to the punto.. nothin worse than paying all that money and being mediocre or like having 2 old non-elite guys playing 3rd base for $42m.. right yank fans? give BC credit. hold your money til the next prize comes along to extend or sign... would rather finish 4th with hard-edged youngies than barely miss playoffs with bunch of old guys

You're right, it's so much better to finish in LAST PLACE and save the ownership money.

You're right.  We should've kept all the bad contracts forever and ever and managed to beat out TO for 4th.  That would've been much more gratifying.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I would rather pay the luxury tax and win than have the team we have now and be far below it. That money the Yankees were hit with is chump change for them and they make it up easily with playoff money, something we have not seen in 3 years now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to BarberNJ's comment:

For the first time since 2009, the Red Sox payroll fell below the luxury tax threshold. According to The Associated Press, the team's payroll as calculated for luxury tax purposes (factoring in average annual value of salaries of players on the 40-man roster, adjustments for cash in trades, benefits and bonuses) fell $47,177 under the $178 million luxury tax threshold in 2012, with the team's franchise altering trade of Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto having removed just enough salary to push the team under the luxury tax threshold.

The Sox had paid $3.5 million in luxury tax in 2011 and $1.4 million in 2010. The team had anticipated a payroll of about $190 million in 2012, which would have resulted in a luxury tax payment of approximately $5 million. However, the Dodgers trade removed over $13 million from the team's books, enough to knock the team below the threshold. (The approximately $327,000 that the Dodgers paid Punto proved a difference-maker.)

Because the Sox were under the threshold, the next time that they exceed the luxury tax threshold (which is once again $178 million in 2013 and $189 million in 2014), their tax rate will be 17.5 percent. The team would have owed 40 percent on any payroll in excess of $178 million in 2012.

The Yankees, meanwhile, owe an $18.9 million luxury tax bill, the 10th straight year they've paid the luxury tax. New York was the only team to pay the competitive balance tax.

The above is the link that Contrarian referred you to. This is good news.

Dont forget they are in the playoffs every year. That luxury tax money would be beer money for Henry.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Maybe the Yawkey Way Store can sell tee shirts.  " No Luxury Tax - Thanks Ben "  

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts