Yanks lineup now better than Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Yanks lineup now better than Sox

Cano seems to be a punk

I don't see him as much of a mentor to anyone

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think he is very respectble. From what I heard him in interviews.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

I think he is very respectble. From what I heard him in interviews.

Have you seen the way he plays?  Laughing when he strikes out or makes a big error and loafing down the line.........He ain't no Pedey!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

question was

how bout a little credilbility test mr brown  or anyone in RSN

tell me what most posters here would be saying if the yanks gave him 10 yrs

Sorry Zac, I think he will be a force for the next 7 years. He has one of the sweetest swings I've seen in a long time. Williams lasted till 40 so can Cano. Remember the DH. Glad he is gone.

I remember seeing him in Fenway 2nd or 3rd year he hit a ball, to Right Center, it was a SHOT, this kid is Good. That ball was blasted, Line Drive, took seconds. He can hit anywhere doesn't matter the Park.

Not bad with his Defense either.

fair enough mr brown

I don't disagree

but U didn't exactly answer the question

He has one of the sweetest swings I've seen in a long time

speaking of which

2 many writers have made jokes about the endorsements he will get in sea vs nyc

seems 2 me that sweet swinging ken griffey jr did all right out their

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Red Sox scored 853 runs. The Yankees scored 650 runs. Do the math. The Yankees then lost by far their best offensive player. He had 107 RBI's. The next best RBI guy? Overbay at 59!

The idea that the Yankees will have a better offense next year is funny.

not saying who has the best offense

doesn't matter much in dec

but some of the reasoning here is funny

U mentioned overybay without mentioning teix will be taking his place

others question the difference between ells and grandy

thing is we didn't have either last yr

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway"

If the Yanks had kept Cano I would be genuinely worried. It was dumb of them to lose Cano and take on Ellsbury instead. 

You act like Ellsbury is always onthe field but he's missed a lot of games in his career to date. 

The loss of Granderson and Cano and the gain of McCann Beltran and Ells is a bit of a net lineup gain for them but not an incredible lineup gain the way it would be if they had signed Cano also. 

Where your point is more valid is that in this case they gained a hitter (Ells) who is also a loss for us at the same time. So that's the gap - we got weaker more than they got stronger. 

I would only say to you: do the games start tomorrow? 

Your post reads like we are about to take the field. 

If we did, Yanks would still have problems because our pitching is significantly better than theirs. But they have time to address that to some extent.

I'll grant you that there aren't that many good hitters sitting around right now, but: there is still plenty of time and midseason trades next year to consider also. 

I"m not sure why this comes down to the Yanks and Sox. I'm more concerned about the Rays if I had to pick one team in the AL East but I think we're going to be ok.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Who has to go 10 years? Last year Yanks didn't have much, he carried them pretty much by himself.

what R U talking about

seattle gave him 10 yrs

whether he's a great player is not the question

question was

how bout a little credilbility test mr brown  or anyone in RSN

tell me what most posters here would be saying if the yanks gave him 10 yrs

I'm not sure that was the only option.  Bob and I came to identical number on a projected contract of $208M/8.  Your question is phrased like the only two choices were the $240M/10 or the $168/7.  If you had offered $208M/8, I'm not sure there would've been a lot of negative comments.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I'm not sure that was the only option.  Bob and I came to identical number on a projected contract of $208M/8.  Your question is phrased like the only two choices were the $240M/10 or the $168/7.  If you had offered $208M/8, I'm not sure there would've been a lot of negative comments.

I don't even care why you think some one would leave 30 mill on the table for the 1st time ever

the question was what if they signed him

it was inresponse to poster knocking them for not making him a top priority

the honest answer to my Q is

most of the parrots would have been all over ny if they signed him

told U last week I had enough of you 

playing the devil's advocate at my expense without being up front about it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

going from granderson to jacoby is a big upgrade. they now have one of the best defensive CF'ers in the game but also the best leadoff guy in the game and someone who can actually hit on the road.

still, the yankees lineup is nowhere close to the sox'

People saying jake will jack 20-25 HR now. problem is, if you pitch him low and outside he wont. Also, I think he may have some issues knowing that short porch is there and try to go deep everytime to try and justify the contract. Should be interesting to see how he handles it.

I agree with where and how pitchers should and are now pitching Jacoby but still think he will have more HR's southpaw.  Here is why I feel this way, Damon only hit 20 HR's once in his career and it was playing for us. 

Im not saying he wont hit 20, Im just looking at the other possibility.

I dont think their team of 35+ yo are going to be a great team. Thery dont have much depth. They are not builkd for the long haul. If one 37yo goes down, they have another 37yo to replace them. They have a replacement player at 2b right now and nothing to speak of at 3b. need a closer and another starter. they will go way over the LT and I still dont think that makes them better. Maybe Im just more optomistic about who we have and the possible moves next week for the Sox.

I think the Yankees (barring injuries) have upgraded their lineup significantly without signing Cano and we may just have to give them credit and deal with it.

No they haven't. You don't lose your best player and get better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I think the Yankees (barring injuries) have upgraded their lineup significantly without signing Cano and we may just have to give them credit and deal with it.

By Aaron Steen [December 7 at 10:21pm CST

•  It's easy to overlook just how bad the 2013 Yankees were, SBNation's Rob Neyer writes. The club won 85 games, but its Pythagorean record suggests a 79-win team, and more nuanced analyses indicate the team was even worse. However, this offseason's slew of free agent signings and healthy seasons from players such as Mark Teixeira should give the Yankees a fighting chance in 2014, Neyer says.  The Bombers figure to be better at no less than seven positions next year.
     •MLB sources say the Yankees will listen on Brett Gardner, particularly if they're offered a starting pitcher in exchange, Newsday's Marc Carig reports. The Star-Ledger previously reported major interest in the outfielder. Gardner is projected to earn $4MM in his final year of arbitration by MLBTR's Matt Swartz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

By Aaron Steen [December 7 at 10:21pm CST

•  It's easy to overlook just how bad the 2013 Yankees were, SBNation's Rob Neyer writes. The club won 85 games, but its Pythagorean record suggests a 79-win team, and more nuanced analyses indicate the team was even worse. However, this offseason's slew of free agent signings and healthy seasons from players such as Mark Teixeira should give the Yankees a fighting chance in 2014, Neyer says.  The Bombers figure to be better at no less than seven positions next year.
     •MLB sources say the Yankees will listen on Brett Gardner, particularly if they're offered a starting pitcher in exchange, Newsday's Marc Carig reports. The Star-Ledger previously reported major interest in the outfielder. Gardner is projected to earn $4MM in his final year of arbitration by MLBTR's Matt Swartz.

That is a different take than craze. If you assume that Yankees were so bad they have to get better. All I know for certian is that they lost their best hitter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't even care why you think some one would leave 30 mill on the table for the 1st time ever

I didn't see that post, nor do I understand what being a devil's advocate had to do with it.  There are certainly some in here that wouldn't agree with the NYY in any circumstance.

But the majority in here understand the basics of free agency, and I'd bet a pretty fair amount of them would understand extending Cano at a reasonable price.

My recollection is that most of the posters thought Tex was a good acquisition for you, that most liked the McCann signing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

That is a different take than craze. If you assume that Yankees were so bad they have to get better.

fair enough

All I know for certian is that they lost their best hitter.

yeah I think we all got that part  joe 5 ;-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Are you crying? You sure sound like it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I didn't see that post, nor do I understand what being a devil's advocate had to do with it.  There are certainly some in here that wouldn't agree with the NYY in any circumstance.

But the majority in here understand the basics of free agency, and I'd bet a pretty fair amount of them would understand extending Cano at a reasonable price.

My recollection is that most of the posters thought Tex was a good acquisition for you, that most liked the McCann signing.

really JB

maybe I'm giving you to much credit for playing the devil's advocate

all I know is that

I'm looking at a post from you yesterday on the home board

where you say '' Cano would've been a mistake, imho''

at a reasonable price

what the heck does that mean

why even bring that up

where's the part where he would have agreed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

Yankee fans should be excited!

The easiest way to say whether or not the NYY have a better lineup is to go into Fangraphs and add up all the projections.  It's probably safe enough to ignore the bench.  So you add up the OPS for 9 guys for each team and the highest total wins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

really JB

maybe I'm giving you to much credit for playing the devil's advocate

all I know is that

I'm looking at a post from you yesterday on the home board

where you say '' Cano would've been a mistake, imho''

at a reasonable price

what the heck does that mean

why even bring that up

where's the part where he would have agreed

Cano would've been a mistake at $240M/10, imho.  He would not have been a mistake at $208M/8, imo.

Your original response was to a post that said Cano should have been their priority.  That doesn't necessarily mean $240M/10.  It could just as easily mean that they should've offered a good bit more than they offered Ellsbury.  I don't think anyone would argue that Cano deserves more than Ellsbury.  I even said last week, when Cano dropped his asking price, the NYY should've offered to meet him in the middle.

If the NYY offered him $208M/8, do you think he still would've taken Seattle's offer of and extra $32M/2?  Less all the possible endorsements it might cost him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to dustcover's comment:

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

Yeah, but Sox have a team identity, leadership, and chemistry. 

Yanks have ARod.

*=)) rolling on the floor

chemistry is big,,,remember toronto? what they did last off-season? their lineup was better than everybody...oh what happen?

Chemistry is overrated.  You get chemistry when you win, not before.  A couple come from behind wins and the beard-tugging begins.  A few losses and the same players get criticized for not being professional.

Pitch, play defense, score runs.  Beats "chemistry" every time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Red Sox scored 853 runs. The Yankees scored 650 runs. Do the math. The Yankees then lost by far their best offensive player. He had 107 RBI's. The next best RBI guy? Overbay at 59!

The idea that the Yankees will have a better offense next year is funny.

The yanks were decimated with injuries last year, not to unlike the 2012 Red Sox. Thus the numbers are somewhat misleading. The key guy coming back is Texiera..if healthy no reason to think he wont return to form who along with Soriano, McCann, Beltran and Ells give the yanks a solid nucleaus To build a lineup around. The net result is they'll score thier fair share of runs. as I stated in an earlier post McCann is the guy that represents the biggest positional upgrade and having a catcher that can hit 30 bombs hitting in the middle of the lineup is a huge advantage given the league norm for production from the catchers position. 

Assuming that Arod is done...here's what thier lineup looks like today with more than two months to go before player report with plenty of time to add another stick. if Arod is suspended for the season Remeber that frees up more than 25M for them to spend on pitching or another bat.

Ells

Jeter

Beltran

Texiera

Soriano 

McCann 

Kelly

Nunez

Gardner/Ichiro 

Clearly the Yankees have improved...how much is dependent on the same variable that every team faces and that is the health and production from thier key guys. The elephant in the room is Arod...if his money's come off the books as is expected that'll free up a ton of cash which the yanks can use to upgrade thier pitching or add another bat. Cashmans not done adding and subtracting yet...as of today the yanks have improved...add a big arm to the rotation and or to the backend of then pen along with another bat and they're right back in the mix. Counting them out before one meaningful pitch has been thrown is wishful thinking...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

You and the rest of Yankee nation need to sign Drew and move Jete to third----You will have the best lineup on the planet. The Yankees always have the best lineup possible. The plus is ARod is available to play almost any place.

Let's see:

Ells CF, Jeter 3B, Beltran RF, Tex 1 B, McCann C, Soriano DH, Drew SS, Infante 2 B, Gardner LF.

The Starters should hold out...??? what about Tanaka...??? Will the posting work out the way the Yankees need it too? It's a good thing you lost Cano---

I'll Stop--I'm getting a little too cynical...

The Pen?????it will take care of itself Pap will fit right in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Chemistry is overrated.  You get chemistry when you win, not before.  A couple come from behind wins and the beard-tugging begins.  A few losses and the same players get criticized for not being professional.

I've been saying that since the great Larry Panic of October, 2011.  The Pythogorean W/L is remarkably accurate, and that's based enitrely on runs scored and against.

John Lackey personifies the issues of chemistry.  After September, 2011, he was the root of all evil because he handed everyone a beer after the game.  After October, 2013, he is basically the source of all BB good, for handing everyone a beer after the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

I've been saying that since the great Larry Panic of October, 2011.  The Pythogorean W/L is remarkably accurate, and that's based enitrely on runs scored and against.

John Lackey personifies the issues of chemistry.  After September, 2011, he was the root of all evil because he handed everyone a beer after the game.  After October, 2013, he is basically the source of all BB good, for handing everyone a beer after the game.

and credit for having the strength to forego the chicken ;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

As for what we would be saying if Cano signed with NY for 10 years, I think that that also would have been a bad move. The Yankees really had nowhere to go- if they signed Cano, it would be for so much that it would end up being an albatross at some point, and if they didn't, they've lost their best hitter to Seattle. Although I would love to see New York paying Cano $24 million a year in his 40's, the fact that we no longer have to face him 19 or so games a season and that the Yankees would have a very dangerous lineup if they had made their other moves and still kept him outweighs that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion 

Just fpor fun, I did the math.  This data below assumes Soriano as the DH, Beltran in RF, ARod for a full season, that the NYY sign Infante, .700 for each bench, and using Steamer predictions-

RS 2014 OPS = .767

NY 2014 OPS  = .750

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Wait.  So Beltran is a "steal" at 3/45 compared to Napoli at 2/32?   Is 37yo Beltran's .830OPS (128OPS+) somehow worth more and more realiable than 31yo Napoli's .842OPS (129OPS+)?

Sections
Shortcuts