Yanks lineup now better than Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Yanks lineup now better than Sox

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think if the Yankees would have been a little more flexible up front, they could have re-signed Cano at about $200 mil.

I'm guessing U forgot about the 300 mill talk

It's not a question of $300M.  Had they offered him $208M/8, would he have taken the extra $32M/2 from Seattle?

U know what bryce harper would call your question

how bout posting  the  list of players that walked away from 32 mill

not all of them just a short list

Cano would not be walking away from $32M.  If he still wanted to, he could play the extra two years.  He would not likely get $16M per, but given the inflation rate in salaries, he might easily get $8M per.  You just signed someone with similar aging, so he has almost the same earning potential with $208M/8 as he would with $240M/10.

And he would likely earn more in endorsements in NY.  There is no way to prove it, but ten years from now, the net difference between those two possible contracts will be about -0-.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Cano would not be walking away from $32M.  If he still wanted to, he could play the extra two years.  He would not likely get $16M per, but given the inflation rate in salaries, he might easily get $8M per.

why U feeding me this BS JB

do you actually think players & agents think that way

You just signed someone with similar aging, so he has almost the same earning potential with $208M/8 as he would with $240M/10.

I C U have no list 

so U act like it's unfair to say he had 2  walk away from 32 mil 2 sign w/ny

And he would likely earn more in endorsements in NY.  There is no way to prove it, but ten years from now, the net difference between those two possible contracts will be about -0-.

IDK about the endorsement stuff

like reggie said he's not going to seattle to become a star

cano is bringing his star w/him

seems to me griffey jr did ok out there

I guess U mentioning the difference in taxes wouldn't help your case much

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I think if the Yankees would have been a little more flexible up front, they could have re-signed Cano at about $200 mil.

It's not a question of $300M.  Had they offered him $208M/8, would he have taken the extra $32M/2 from Seattle?

What you're forgetting is that Seattle decided to go absolutely all in on Cano. They would not have stopped at $240M if NY went to $208M or $215M or whatever. They would have maintained whatever differential they needed to sell Cano on Seattle and make the deal. And Jay Z was so intent on establishing himself with a megadeal that he was willing to send Cano to Siberia to do it. I dont really  see this ending well for Cano. And the Yankees dodged a major bullet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

In response to mfymfy's comment:

What you're forgetting is that Seattle decided to go absolutely all in on Cano. They would not have stopped at $240M if NY went to $208M or $215M or whatever. They would have maintained whatever differential they needed to sell Cano on Seattle and make the deal. And Jay Z was so intent on establishing himself with a megadeal that he was willing to send Cano to Siberia to do it. I dont really  see this ending well for Cano. And the Yankees dodged a major bullet.

Jay-Z doesn't sign the contract; Cano does. Jay-Z didn't "send" him anywhere. He chose to go to Seattle.

Ant to say that the Mariners "would have maintained whatever differential they needed" is silly. They have a limit on theirr budget like everyone else, and it's lower than the NYY, like everyone else. If the NYY had wanted to, they could have outbid the Mariners, or come close enough to the Mariners' limit to bring Cano back.

Cano did not leave Scott Boras for Jay Z to ignore his advice. Cano is a Dominican player who became a star in probably the largest Dominican stronghold outside the DR. If you dont think Jay Z stressed to Cano the opportunities he could bring him even in Seattle,  I'd  say you may be grossly underestimating his influence on Cano.

As for Seattle, do you doubt they would have gone to $260M or $280M? I don't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

The way I see it Zac is last year the Yanks won something like 89 games using subs for the most part and their best pitcher had an off year.

Cano cannot be replaced by a single addition to the club but a collective approach which has to include more bench depth can have the same result.

Case in point the 2013 Red Sox. Agon was without question their best player the previous year (sorry Dustin) and by taking the approach I noted above resulted in a Championship.

If the season started today I would give my Sox the edge.

But it doesn't and the Yanks have time to further improve as do the Sox.

IMO both the Sox and Yanks aren't close to being done.

greetings HH

good point about agon

while tanaka remains the key

I'm liking what rob neyer said

The Bombers figure to be better at no less than seven positions next year.

doesn't reading some of these posts about how the yanks R done 4 yrs

make U feel old

HI Zac,

"Tanaka remains the key"

Without doubt.

"better at no less than 7 positions"

Afraid so.

I got another one for you.

Last 4 teams to win a Championship did it without Cano on their roster.

Any Sox fan that really believes the Yankees are not contenders in the near term are suffering a severe memory loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Jay-Z doesn't sign the contract; Cano does. Jay-Z didn't "send" him anywhere. He chose to go to Seattle.

Ant to say that the Mariners "would have maintained whatever differential they needed" is silly. They have a limit on theirr budget like everyone else, and it's lower than the NYY, like everyone else. If the NYY had wanted to, they could have outbid the Mariners, or come close enough to the Mariners' limit to bring Cano back.

Cano did not leave Scott Boras for Jay Z to ignore his advice. Cano is a Dominican player who became a star in probably the largest Dominican stronghold outside the DR. If you dont think Jay Z stressed to Cano the opportunities he could bring him even in Seattle,  I'd  say you may be grossly underestimating his influence on Cano.

Of course he didn't hire him just to ignore his advice. But advice is just that: advice. Cano's a big boy. He made his own choice to go to Seattle, knowing full well the consequences. Jay-Z didn't "send" him anywhere.

And yes, I expect if the NYY had gone up to $250mm, the Mariners would have dropped out of the bidding. Word was that they balked at going up from $225mm to $240. They have a limit somewhere, and I suspect this was close to it.

Cano contract will be the joke of the league in time.  But no worries.  As long as Cashman is still around Cano will end up back in New York.  It's where some of the worst known contracts are known to end up (heck, Cashman did Wells and Soriano in the same season!)......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Marioguy424's comment:

As for what we would be saying if Cano signed with NY for 10 years, I think that that also would have been a bad move. The Yankees really had nowhere to go- if they signed Cano, it would be for so much that it would end up being an albatross at some point, and if they didn't, they've lost their best hitter to Seattle. Although I would love to see New York paying Cano $24 million a year in his 40's, the fact that we no longer have to face him 19 or so games a season and that the Yankees would have a very dangerous lineup if they had made their other moves and still kept him outweighs that.

Exactly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

Red Sox scored 853 runs. The Yankees scored 650 runs. Do the math. The Yankees then lost by far their best offensive player. He had 107 RBI's. The next best RBI guy? Overbay at 59!

The idea that the Yankees will have a better offense next year is funny.

not saying who has the best offense

doesn't matter much in dec

but some of the reasoning here is funny

U mentioned overybay without mentioning teix will be taking his place

others question the difference between ells and grandy

thing is we didn't have either last yr

The way I see it Zac is last year the Yanks won something like 89 games using subs for the most part and their best pitcher had an off year.

Cano cannot be replaced by a single addition to the club but a collective approach which has to include more bench depth can have the same result.

Case in point the 2013 Red Sox. Agon was without question their best player the previous year (sorry Dustin) and by taking the approach I noted above resulted in a Championship.

How can the yankees improve?  Acquire another 6 Outfielders?  Spend the remainder of the budget on more bats and no arms?   Platoon at every position and only carry 7 arms?  Call up one of their studs from the minors lol  They can marginally improve at the bottom of the order but slots 1 through 7 are already set....

Oh, well...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

U know what bryce harper would call your question

how bout posting  the  list of players that walked away from 32 mill

not all of them just a short list

How much is being the face of the Yankees worth for the next eight years?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

One thing's for sure: if the NYY don't make it to the ALCS in 2014, Cashman will lose his job.

Probably been said before. Maybe Cashman is Steinbrenner's illegitimate son? LOL

J/K for people who can't take a joke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Cano would not be walking away from $32M.  If he still wanted to, he could play the extra two years.  He would not likely get $16M per, but given the inflation rate in salaries, he might easily get $8M per.

You just signed someone with similar aging, so he has almost the same earning potential with $208M/8 as he would with $240M/10.

I C U have no list 

A star on the NY Yankees and a star on the Seattle Mariners. Yeah, that's the same in endorsements. Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

greetings HH

good point about agon

make U feel old

HI Zac,

"Tanaka remains the key"

Without doubt.

Afraid so.

Any Sox fan that really believes the Yankees are not contenders in the near term are suffering a severe memory loss.

Hey, HH, there are Sox threads on the board. jsyk Btw, how are the Sox doing next season? I haven't seen your opinion on that. Are they OK? LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's amazing to me is that the Yanks back-up 3 OF'er will be getting paid over $50M, although about $35M will be paid by the Angels and Cubs.

Assuming an OF or Ellsbury, Beltran and Gardner, the back-up would be:

Wells  $24.6M

Soriano $19M

Suzuki $6.5M

(Note: one will be the DH if it's not Beltran.)

They should have a much better offense in 2014, but Tex was in a steady decline before the injuries hit. I'm not sure counting on a lot from him is realistic.

2007: .963 OPS

2008: .962 OPS

2009: .948 OPS

2010: .846 OPS

2011: .835 OPS

2012: .807 OPS

2013: .609 OPS in just 63 PAs.

I do not think it is unrealistic to project a sub .800 OPS in 2014 for Tex. That's not good for a MLB 1Bman.

Jeter is going to be 40 and Brendan Ryan is not going to light up the offense anymore than Nunez or Nix.

McCann should be a huge lift over the 2013 catcher Offensive output.

Ellsbury should be a huge plus as well.

Beltran as well.

Who is going to play 2B? K Johnson/Trade for Phillips?

3B? if Johnson plays 2B, Ryan?

No Grandy. No Cano.

I'd project a very big gain in runs scored for the Yanks in 2014, but their pitching has not improved and could be worse with no MO and others.

If Beltran DHs and they play Gardner in LF, Ellsbury in CF and Suzuki in RF they'll have a nice defensive OF, but keeping Wells and Soriano on the bench could breed some clubhouse issues.

I think people might be surprised how little the Sox offense decline after losing Ellsbury, Drew and Salty.

1) Bogey could be a step up on offense at SS.

2) It's hard to imagine a worse offense from our 3B position than we got in 2013.

3) Napoli & Pedey have had much better seasons in the recent past than 2013.

4) If Victorino stays healthy, he could improve.

5) Nava had a big year, but if he can play exclusively in LF only vs RH's starters, and Gomes returns to his career norms vs LHPs, we should see an even better bottom line from our LF position than we saw in 2013.

Ellsbury to JBJ could be a huge offensive loss, but remember that Ellsbury had the team's 9th best OPS in 2013 out of all players with 230+ PAs.

Salty to AJ P and a healthier Ross could be close to a wash, but I'd project a slight loss on offense there.

Papi may decline with age, but I will not project a significant decline just yet.

Assuming good health, I only see the CF and Catcher positions as probable significant declines offensively, but a healthy Ross could minimize that. A pick-up of a CF'er who hits LHPs well, could also minimize the OPS decline in CF as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

What's amazing to me is that the Yanks back-up 3 OF'er will be getting paid over $50M, although about $35M will be paid by the Angels and Cubs.

Assuming an OF or Ellsbury, Beltran and Gardner, the back-up would be:

Wells  $24.6M

Soriano $19M

Suzuki $6.5M

(Note: one will be the DH if it's not Beltran.)

They should have a much better offense in 2014, but Tex was in a steady decline before the injuries hit. I'm not sure counting on a lot from him is realistic.

2007: .963 OPS

2008: .962 OPS

2009: .948 OPS

2010: .846 OPS

2011: .835 OPS

2012: .807 OPS

2013: .609 OPS in just 63 PAs.

I do not think it is unrealistic to project a sub .800 OPS in 2014 for Tex. That's not good for a MLB 1Bman.

Jeter is going to be 40 and Brendan Ryan is not going to light up the offense anymore than Nunez or Nix.

McCann should be a huge lift over the 2013 catcher Offensive output.

Ellsbury should be a huge plus as well.

Beltran as well.

Who is going to play 2B? K Johnson/Trade for Phillips?

3B? if Johnson plays 2B, Ryan?

No Grandy. No Cano.

I'd project a very big gain in runs scored for the Yanks in 2014, but their pitching has not improved and could be worse with no MO and others.

If Beltran DHs and they play Gardner in LF, Ellsbury in CF and Suzuki in RF they'll have a nice defensive OF, but keeping Wells and Soriano on the bench could breed some clubhouse issues.

I think people might be surprised how little the Sox offense decline after losing Ellsbury, Drew and Salty.

1) Bogey could be a step up on offense at SS.

2) It's hard to imagine a worse offense from our 3B position than we got in 2013.

3) Napoli & Pedey have had much better seasons in the recent past than 2013.

4) If Victorino stays healthy, he could improve.

5) Nava had a big year, but if he can play exclusively in LF only vs RH's starters, and Gomes returns to his career norms vs LHPs, we should see an even better bottom line from our LF position than we saw in 2013.

Ellsbury to JBJ could be a huge offensive loss, but remember that Ellsbury had the team's 9th best OPS in 2013 out of all players with 230+ PAs.

Salty to AJ P and a healthier Ross could be close to a wash, but I'd project a slight loss on offense there.

Papi may decline with age, but I will not project a significant decline just yet.

Assuming good health, I only see the CF and Catcher positions as probable significant declines offensively, but a healthy Ross could minimize that. A pick-up of a CF'er who hits LHPs well, could also minimize the OPS decline in CF as well.

MLB has an article on the Sox entitled "What to get for a team that has everything." Gotta love that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I C U have no list 

1-IRT the taxes, but my guess is that the extra state taxes is ~ $6M.  The value of the extra income the additional $2M the NYY would pay him annually is about $4M.  The net difference is $2M, maybe less.

2-There is no answer to your question (except Pedroia of course) because you are not giving me equal choices.  Start with the $32M, add in another $2M for taxes less investment earnings, deduct off what he would earn in years 39 & 40, and then deduct off what he would have earned in extra endoresements, and then tell what the real difference is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

greetings HH

good point about agon

make U feel old

HI Zac,

"Tanaka remains the key"

Without doubt.

Afraid so.

Hey, HH, there are Sox threads on the board. jsyk Btw, how are the Sox doing next season? I haven't seen your opinion on that. Are they OK? LOL

"haven't seen your opinion"

You've seen it but nobody here expects you to understand it.

You along with Slasher have displayed little if any baseball knowledge.

Now run along and let the qualified fans discuss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

1-IRT the taxes, but my guess is that the extra state taxes is ~ $6M.  The value of the extra income the additional $2M the NYY would pay him annually is about $4M.  The net difference is $2M, maybe less.

not really following that JB

all I know is wash has no income  tax

and I'm pretty sure there is no city income tax like nyc has either

save the sales tax talk this guy will be out of state plenty

2-There is no answer to your question (except Pedroia of course) because you are not giving me equal choices.  Start with the $32M, add in another $2M for taxes less investment earnings, deduct off what he would earn in years 39 & 40, and then deduct off what he would have earned in extra endoresements, and then tell what the real difference is.

(except Pedroia of course)

lol stop it JB just stop

Pedroia doesn't even fit into the conversation

he left 0 on the table, never was a FA never got other offers

NO ONE HAS LEFT THE MONEY ON THE TABLE

U SUGGEST CANO WOULD OF

NO ONE

Y not address this

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Of course he didn't hire him just to ignore his advice. But advice is just that: advice. Cano's a big boy. He made his own choice to go to Seattle, knowing full well the consequences. Jay-Z didn't "send" him anywhere.

And yes, I expect if the NYY had gone up to $250mm, the Mariners would have dropped out of the bidding. Word was that they balked at going up from $225mm to $240. They have a limit somewhere, and I suspect this was close to it.

Cano contract will be the joke of the league in time.  But no worries.  As long as Cashman is still around Cano will end up back in New York.  It's where some of the worst known contracts are known to end up (heck, Cashman did Wells and Soriano in the same season!)......

So  Magic Johnson did three bad contracts---what does that tell you? And Theo wrote all three bad contracts--what should that tell the Cubs?

Everyone is trying their best to do what they think is right-some jusy have bigger budgets and more control , others are allowed to do what they think is best.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

(except Pedroia of course)

lol stop it JB just stop

Pedroia doesn't even fit into the conversation

he left 0 on the table, never was a FA never got other offers

NO ONE HAS LEFT THE MONEY ON THE TABLE

U SUGGEST CANO WOULD OF

NO ONE

Random thoughts:

1.  New York City and state’s combined top tax rate is currently 12.70% http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/09/17/not-easy-for-new-yorkers-to-escape-the-big-apples-tax-bite/

$240 x 12.7% =  $30,480,000

2.  Gil Meche told theKansas City Royals he did not want any of the $12 million due him in 2011 

3.  Pedey has left money on the table twice IMO

After Cano’s money grab, critics of Dustin Pedroia’s eight-year, $110 million extension have more ammunition to claim the Sox second baseman is underpaid.

Spare us.

Yes, if Pedroia had played out his existing contract and hit the open market after next season, he could’ve landed a more lucrative deal, especially with Cano setting the bar absurdly high for premier second basemen. And with Cano moving to Seattle, there may have even been a chance for Pedroia to join Ellsbury in the Bronx.

But $110 million is $110 million. Pedroia is still being paid more money than he’ll ever need, and gets to stay where he most wants to play. Sometimes, albeit rarely, it isn’t about only dollars.

As Pedroia said in July, “I’m not here to set markets.” And whenever he is presented with the suggestion that he left money on the table, he breaks out one of his classic lines.

“I’m rich as (expletive),” he said. http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/12/sox_may_need_to_adjut_plan

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But $110 million is $110 million. Pedroia is still being paid more money than he’ll ever need, and gets to stay where he most wants to play. Sometimes, albeit rarely, it isn’t about only dollars.

It's not always about how much you yourself can spend, it's about your family, your children, their children, and their children's children and so on. It's about legacy.

Yes, $110M is $110M, but so the $50M or so left on the table is $50M as well.

I seriously doubt Pedey mismanages his portfolio, but many a high paid athelete has ended up destitute. It's not too hard to imagine $110M being gone after 2-3 generations. I doubt it, but it's possible. This is the main reason very rich people keep trying to get richer, instead of kicking back and retiring early.

Legacy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

gm tom

let's not argues semantics here

IMO there is no merit in comparing a FA and a guy who was 2 yrs away from being a FA

no matter how much of a feel good story it might be, ( and I understand that)

no one offered PD 35 mill more

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

gm tom

let's not argues semantics here

IMO there is no merit in comparing a FA and a guy who was 2 yrs away from being a FA

no matter how much of a feel good story it might be, ( and I understand that)
    no one offered PD 35 mill more

Zac I agree to some extent.  Pedroia, Longoria, ..... signed long term deal early their careers.   More and more players have followed, getting the security of a relatively big pay day (but foregoing the chance for the huge FA) and the team takes on the Joe Charboneau risk.

IMO, Pedey did not drive a hard bargain both times.  The second extension was oddly low, which is why he gets questions about it.  Pedey does not seem overly concerned with being mega mega rich.

Nov 13, 2013 (CBSNewYork/AP) – Brian Cashman concedes that they could be outbid for free agent second baseman Robinson Cano.

“I think he loves the money but I think we’re going to have a substantial offer, but somebody might come in and have a much more substantial offer,” Cashman said Tuesday at the gathering of baseball’s general managers. “That’s just the way it works.” http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/13/yankees-gm-cashman-robinson-cano-loves-the-money/

Meanwhile, Jose Cano was bothered by general manager Brian Cashman's comments that the second baseman "loves" money. Cashman made the statement at the GM meetings, but later added that most players make a financial decision.

"I don't know why he said that," Jose Cano said. "I don't know exactly everything. Tell me, who doesn't love money?"  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10086275/robinson-cano-meet-seattle-mariners

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's not always about how much you yourself can spend, it's about your family, your children, their children, and their children's children and so on. It's about legacy.

Yes, $110M is $110M, but so the $50M or so left on the table is $50M as well.

I seriously doubt Pedey mismanages his portfolio, but many a high paid athelete has ended up destitute. It's not too hard to imagine $110M being gone after 2-3 generations. I doubt it, but it's possible. This is the main reason very rich people keep trying to get richer, instead of kicking back and retiring early.

Legacy.

most people live month to month and hope their money doesn't run out before they die. it must be nice to know your great great great great great great great children can live like Kings off the interest without ever having to spend a penny of the principal.....this is why it is sometimes hard for me to enjoy the game the same way - times are tough lately and I'd like to watch a game for pleasure w/o having to learn about how many mansions and rolls royces these guys own ..........even the announcers and writers tend to flaunt how well off they are.......I don't care if they are billionaires - they earned it.  Just keep it to yourself........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Too funny.

Poor KST and you remain clueless.

If it helps I used to post here under 2004ALCS.

Would a yankee fan use that name? Not.

Sections
Shortcuts