Yanks lineup now better than Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Yanks lineup now better than Sox

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

going from granderson to jacoby is a big upgrade. they now have one of the best defensive CF'ers in the game but also the best leadoff guy in the game and someone who can actually hit on the road.

still, the yankees lineup is nowhere close to the sox'

People saying jake will jack 20-25 HR now. problem is, if you pitch him low and outside he wont. Also, I think he may have some issues knowing that short porch is there and try to go deep everytime to try and justify the contract. Should be interesting to see how he handles it.

I agree with where and how pitchers should and are now pitching to Jacoby but still think he will have more HR's southpaw.  Here is why I feel this way, Damon only hit 20 HR's once in his career and it was playing for us.  The problem the Yankees face is Jacoby's long term deal.  He is, one ankle or Other type of significant type of leg injury away from being done. 

His entire game rests on his speed!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Forget it, our line up is at least just as good....for a lot less money plus our IF defense will be much stronger (OF defense and C will be comparable)...the key of course will be the lead off slot....If Bradley can get to a .333 OBP we will be better but the burden of proof is on Jackie to prove he can be reach base one third of time.....I think the X man could make a good back-up lead off hitter who projects to have an OBP as good as Jake's (perhaps not next year but perhaps by 2015)....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

going from granderson to jacoby is a big upgrade. they now have one of the best defensive CF'ers in the game but also the best leadoff guy in the game and someone who can actually hit on the road.

People saying jake will jack 20-25 HR now. problem is, if you pitch him low and outside he wont. Also, I think he may have some issues knowing that short porch is there and try to go deep everytime to try and justify the contract. Should be interesting to see how he handles it.

I agree with where and how pitchers should and are now pitching Jacoby but still think he will have more HR's southpaw.  Here is why I feel this way, Damon only hit 20 HR's once in his career and it was playing for us. 

Im not saying he wont hit 20, Im just looking at the other possibility.

I dont think their team of 35+ yo are going to be a great team. Thery dont have much depth. They are not builkd for the long haul. If one 37yo goes down, they have another 37yo to replace them. They have a replacement player at 2b right now and nothing to speak of at 3b. need a closer and another starter. they will go way over the LT and I still dont think that makes them better. Maybe Im just more optomistic about who we have and the possible moves next week for the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I agree with where and how pitchers should and are now pitching Jacoby but still think he will have more HR's southpaw.  Here is why I feel this way, Damon only hit 20 HR's once in his career and it was playing for us. 

I dont think their team of 35+ yo are going to be a great team. Thery dont have much depth. They are not builkd for the long haul. If one 37yo goes down, they have another 37yo to replace them. They have a replacement player at 2b right now and nothing to speak of at 3b. need a closer and another starter. they will go way over the LT and I still dont think that makes them better. Maybe Im just more optomistic about who we have and the possible moves next week for the Sox.

I think the Yankees (barring injuries) have upgraded their lineup significantly without signing Cano and we may just have to give them credit and deal with it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think the Yankees (barring injuries) have upgraded their lineup significantly without signing Cano and we may just have to give them credit and deal with it.

I understand your concern, but over the last 3-4 years Ive seen a number of teams be "the better team" on paper, only to actually be fairly mediocre or down right bad when they play the games.

The names are great craze and the talent is there, but until they play the games Im not saying they are better than anyone. everyone thought our team of young players and 2-3 yr mercinaries were mediocre this year. But boy, I sure enjoyed being at that parade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, they have 6 OF's, 5 of which are overpaid and 4 are well past their prime

now.....if you asked Cashman or any fan last year "would you trade Cano for Ellsbury (and even McCann)?" they would had had said NO WAY......and yet that's where they are

if they get pitching and if ARod's suspension is upheld, and if they are allowed to go over 189 then that's a different story...esp with writing checks.....it takes a great baseball man to be able to sign him name....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I understand your concern, but over the last 3-4 years Ive seen a number of teams be "the better team" on paper, only to actually be fairly mediocre or down right bad when they play the games.

The names are great craze and the talent is there, but until they play the games Im not saying they are better than anyone. everyone thought our team of young players and 2-3 yr mercinaries were mediocre this year. But boy, I sure enjoyed being at that parade.

Agreed southpaw it's on paper but I look at it this way.  When Healthy McCann and Jacoby are still young and significant upgrades over Gardner and any other catcher the Yanks have had since Posada.  Beltran is a very consistent player when healthy who will probably replace Cano's offense entirely.  Lastly, they can all play solid defense

We are resting our hopes on youngsters without any further moves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How much better is Beltran to Nava at this exact moment?

and defense?  at 3b?  2b?  ss?  they are mess defensively at those slots right now

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

Yankee fans should be excited!

The Yankees certainly did upgrade the depth of thier lineup...McCann is the key guy given the expected increase in production from the catchers spot...Beyond that, losing Graderson and Cano and replacing them with Ellsbury and Beltran is a push. You can only bat nine guys, of the players above Cano is the best of the bunch. Now if they make a deal for Phillips in cincy or acquire another good stick to play second. I would then concur that they've dramatically improved thier lineup. 

it's still early in process with lots of players still on the market...if they get David Price or another big arm closer then I'll begin to be concerned...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

As predicted it took the Yanks one day to replace Cano in the lineup.  It wasn't Choo but Beltran at only 3/45 should be a steal considering we just paid Nap 16mil for two.  With McCann, Beltran and Ellsbury they have a power packed lineup much stronger than ours on paper anyway in my opinion and all three additions could possibly hit more HR's in Yankee stadium.

Time will tell on where our lineup ends up but as of now (only our pitching) is stronger than our NY rivals.  Great move by the Yankees in my opinion barring any future injuries that is always a risk you take. 

The Yankees certainly did upgrade the depth of thier lineup...McCann is the key guy given the expected increase in production from the catchers spot...Beyond that, losing Graderson and Cano and replacing them with Ellsbury and Beltran is a push. You can only bat nine guys, of the players above Cano is the best of the bunch. Now if they make a deal for Phillips in cincy or acquire another good stick to play second. I would then concur that they've dramatically improved thier lineup. 

it's still early in process with lots of players still on the market...if they get David Price or another big arm closer then I'll begin to be concerned...

how the heck will they be able to get David Price?  If they had just ONE guy the Rays would want you would had seen him get called up to da bronx late last summer.....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Agreed bean, a starting rotation of Clay, Jon, John, Jake, Doub and a pretty deep farm seperates our the two teams on the pitching front for now anyway.  Price going to the Yankees is almost set in stone as a real possibility if he goes after the money. 

The Yankees will probably throw a boat load his way considering CC is showing signs of decline and Pettite won't be around.  I'm not sure who the Yankees could package that another team would want for a top starter so FA's might play a huge role.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Granderson has a higher career OPS than Ellsbury, and he has a better arm in CF. Ellsbury obviously steals more bases and is faster overall. I think its pretty close to a tossup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Agreed bean, a starting rotation of Clay, Jon, John, Jake, Doub and a pretty deep farm seperates our the two teams on the pitching front for now anyway.  Price going to the Yankees is almost set in stone as a real possibility if he goes after the money. 

The Yankees will probably throw a boat load his way considering CC is showing signs of decline and Pettite won't be around.  I'm not sure who the Yankees could package that another team would want for a top starter so FA's might play a huge role.

if Price hits the market Ca$hman will give him Cano's contract

But the Rays may trade him to a team who insists he signs an extension to complete the deal; and the good news is we can handle Price........plus Jeter and Kuroda and Soriano and Suzuki will be gone......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Agreed southpaw it's on paper but I look at it this way.  When Healthy McCann and Jacoby are still young and significant upgrades over Gardner and any other catcher the Yanks have had since Posada.  Beltran is a very consistent player when healthy who will probably replace Cano's offense entirely.  Lastly, they can all play solid defense

besides Ellsbury and Gardner, thier not that great defensively. Even McCann is an offensive catcher. look at his defensive numbers, they are in line with salty's. Beltran, Ichiro, Wells, Soriano, Jeter...all have questionable defense. We saw Ichiro lose a couple steps last year. They have a replacement player at 2b, and no 3b.

Ill take Xander over Jeter at this point in time. Naps is solid at 1b Pedey at 2b, and JBJ has solid defense. Nava was just fine in LF and Vic is a GG RF'er. Id say we win the defensive battle.

Sorry man, If they get an injury they have nothing to fill in. We have much better depth. NYY HAVE to stay healthy, whereas the Sox can take the hit of a couple injuries and not lose a beat like we did this year. Injuries are inevitable, especially with players over 35yo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

how the heck will they be able to get David Price?  If they had just ONE guy the Rays would want you would had seen him get called up to da bronx late last summer.....

That was the point...until they upgrade thier pitching, while still formidable won't in my mind be the favorite in the east. As for how they can get Price, stranger things have happened. In a three team deal where the Yanks assume all of the financial weight of bad contacts, where the other organization provides the prospects needed to make the deal work one could hypothesize a senerio where Price could end up in Pinstripes. A long shot no doubt but not out of the realm of probability. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

besides Ellsbury and Gardner, thier not that great defensively. Even McCann is an offensive catcher. look at his defensive numbers, they are in line with salty's. Beltran, Ichiro, Wells, Soriano, Jeter...all have questionable defense. We saw Ichiro lose a couple steps last year. They have a replacement player at 2b, and no 3b.

Ill take Xander over Jeter at this point in time. Naps is solid at 1b Pedey at 2b, and JBJ has solid defense. Nava was just fine in LF and Vic is a GG RF'er. Id say we win the defensive battle.

Sorry man, If they get an injury they have nothing to fill in. We have much better depth. NYY HAVE to stay healthy, whereas the Sox can take the hit of a couple injuries and not lose a beat like we did this year. Injuries are inevitable, especially with players over 35yo.

Just curious southpaw, how could we take a hit and who would fill in for say Papi, Pede or Victorino who most likely could miss time at some point?  We don't have anyone capable of matching their offensive.  JBJ won't even replace the loss of Jacoby yet!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the Yankees.

I'd spend more time looking at the A.L.East as a whole.

Baltimore has a good lineup, if they ever get some pitching they will be tough,

Toronto has young pitching that may start to mature.

Tampa Bay is always Tampa Bay, they will always play better than they look on paper.If they lose David Price, they will fill his shoes with another kid from their system, who is as good or better....notice how they didn't miss Shields that much?

The Yankees way of "reloading" doesn't work as it did during the steroid era. They have too many older players who are bound to end up on the DL. They spend so heavily on their starters and cut corners on their backups. When they get an injury , the backup player is usually a AAA player. They don't know the meaning of "DEPTH." The Red Sox understand this concept, this is why players like Carp, Ross, Gomes and Doubrount are so important. Not big money stars , but they get the job done....and could Boston have won without them?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just curious southpaw, how could we take a hit and who would fill in for say Papi, Pede or Victorino who most likely could miss time at some point?  We don't have anyone capable of matching their offensive.  JBJ won't even replace the loss of Jacoby yet!

Guys step up. When papi was out to start the year, Naps carried us along with Middy for a few games. Buch went down and Lester went AWOL for 6 weeks, but other guys stepped up. We lost 2 closers and our best LHP, but the BP was still srtong. Depth

Gotta see what Ben does the rest of the winter, but we covered a lot of issues last year and still had 97 wins. Depth and guys stepping up was a big part of it. NYY dont have that.

I enjoy your passion and questions craze. I also enjoy our back and forths. Your a pleasure to debate with my friend.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Yankees.

I'd spend more time looking at the A.L.East as a whole.

Baltimore has a good lineup, if they ever get some pitching they will be tough,

Toronto has young pitching that may start to mature.

Tampa Bay is always Tampa Bay, they will always play better than they look on paper.If they lose David Price, they will fill his shoes with another kid from their system, who is as good or better....notice how they didn't miss Shields that much?

The Yankees way of "reloading" doesn't work as it did during the steroid era. They have too many older players who are bound to end up on the DL. They spend so heavily on their starters and cut corners on their backups. When they get an injury , the backup player is usually a AAA player. They don't know the meaning of "DEPTH." The Red Sox understand this concept, this is why players like Carp, Ross, Gomes and Doubrount are so important. Not big money stars , but they get the job done....and could Boston have won without them?

NOPE, It's any long term injury to our three best that they could never replace long term.  In the short term we couldn't do without them or Nava.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Yeah, but Sox have a team identity, leadership, and chemistry. 

Yanks have ARod.

*=)) rolling on the floor

chemistry is big,,,remember toronto? what they did last off-season? their lineup was better than everybody...oh what happen?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I hope when Beltran comes up in Fenway they play the highlights of the 2013 WS and the pitch of the 2006 NLCS........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to dustcover's comment:

Yeah, but Sox have a team identity, leadership, and chemistry. 

Yanks have ARod.

*=)) rolling on the floor

chemistry is big,,,remember toronto? what they did last off-season? their lineup was better than everybody...oh what happen?

The last time the Yanks reloaded with Burnett, Tex and CC they won the championship.  One great year out of three long term contracts and silly money, then very little since.  The only year Theo tried to copy them he failed miserably so it just proves your point one step further.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I don't know. They replaced Gardner/Ichiro/Soriano, Granderson, Stewart, Cano with Beltran, Ellsbury, McCann, and Johnson. I can't see how they got much better. They still have question marks at all 4 infield spots and the worlds greatest collection of DH's. 

Sections
Shortcuts