Yanks lineup now better than Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Yanks lineup now better than Sox

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

gm tom

3.  Pedey has left money on the table twice IMO

let's not argues semantics here

IMO there is no merit in comparing a FA and a guy who was 2 yrs away from being a FA

no matter how much of a feel good story it might be, ( and I understand that)
    no one offered PD 35 mill more

Zac I agree to some extent.  Pedroia, Longoria, ..... signed long term deal early their careers.   More and more players have followed, getting the security of a relatively big pay day (but foregoing the chance for the huge FA) and the team takes on the Joe Charboneau risk.

IMO, Pedey did not drive a hard bargain both times.  The second extension was oddly low, which is why he gets questions about it.  Pedey does not seem overly concerned with being mega mega rich.

Nov 13, 2013 (CBSNewYork/AP) – Brian Cashman concedes that they could be outbid for free agent second baseman Robinson Cano.

“I think he loves the money but I think we’re going to have a substantial offer, but somebody might come in and have a much more substantial offer,” Cashman said Tuesday at the gathering of baseball’s general managers. “That’s just the way it works.” http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/13/yankees-gm-cashman-robinson-cano-loves-the-money/

Meanwhile, Jose Cano was bothered by general manager Brian Cashman's comments that the second baseman "loves" money. Cashman made the statement at the GM meetings, but later added that most players make a financial decision.

"I don't know why he said that," Jose Cano said. "I don't know exactly everything. Tell me, who doesn't love money?"  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10086275/robinson-cano-meet-seattle-mariners

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But $110 million is $110 million. Pedroia is still being paid more money than he’ll ever need, and gets to stay where he most wants to play. Sometimes, albeit rarely, it isn’t about only dollars.

It's not always about how much you yourself can spend, it's about your family, your children, their children, and their children's children and so on. It's about legacy.

Yes, $110M is $110M, but so the $50M or so left on the table is $50M as well.

I seriously doubt Pedey mismanages his portfolio, but many a high paid athelete has ended up destitute. It's not too hard to imagine $110M being gone after 2-3 generations. I doubt it, but it's possible. This is the main reason very rich people keep trying to get richer, instead of kicking back and retiring early.

Legacy.

[/QUOTE]

most people live month to month and hope their money doesn't run out before they die. it must be nice to know your great great great great great great great children can live like Kings off the interest without ever having to spend a penny of the principal.....this is why it is sometimes hard for me to enjoy the game the same way - times are tough lately and I'd like to watch a game for pleasure w/o having to learn about how many mansions and rolls royces these guys own ..........even the announcers and writers tend to flaunt how well off they are.......I don't care if they are billionaires - they earned it.  Just keep it to yourself........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You along with Slasher have displayed little if any baseball knowledge.

Now run along and let the qualified fans discuss.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too funny.

Poor KST and you remain clueless.

If it helps I used to post here under 2004ALCS.

Would a yankee fan use that name? Not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Too funny.

[/QUOTE]

i like the name calling.  keep it going!

btw...i am guessing your join date of the name 2004ALCS was right after game 3......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But $110 million is $110 million. Pedroia is still being paid more money than he’ll ever need, and gets to stay where he most wants to play. Sometimes, albeit rarely, it isn’t about only dollars.

It's not always about how much you yourself can spend, it's about your family, your children, their children, and their children's children and so on. It's about legacy.

I seriously doubt Pedey mismanages his portfolio, but many a high paid athelete has ended up destitute. It's not too hard to imagine $110M being gone after 2-3 generations. I doubt it, but it's possible. This is the main reason very rich people keep trying to get richer, instead of kicking back and retiring early.

Legacy.

[/QUOTE]

most people live month to month and hope their money doesn't run out before they die. it must be nice to know your great great great great great great great children can live like Kings off the interest without ever having to spend a penny of the principal.....this is why it is sometimes hard for me to enjoy the game the same way - times are tough lately and I'd like to watch a game for pleasure w/o having to learn about how many mansions and rolls royces these guys own ..........even the announcers and writers tend to flaunt how well off they are.......I don't care if they are billionaires - they earned it.  Just keep it to yourself........

[/QUOTE]

My guess is most players would love to "keep it to themselves" and have some privacy.

It's hard for people who may never accumulate even $1M in net worth, to understand the difference between $110M and $160M, but there is a big difference.

Maybe a lot of people don't think or care much about the well-being of their great great grandchildren, but I don't fault anyone who does.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Legacy.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My guess is most players would love to "keep it to themselves" and have some privacy.

It's hard for people who may never accumulate even $1M in net worth, to understand the difference between $110M and $160M, but there is a big difference.

Maybe a lot of people don't think or care much about the well-being of their great great grandchildren, but I don't fault anyone who does.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention, when you make that much money, you almost always end up as the benefactor for a litany of people not in your immediate family.  Particularly if you come from a background of poverty.  Not that a guy making 100 million isnt still sleeping on memory foam made of Benjamins, but, still, the more pie you have, the more fingers in it.  Mo money mo problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Tyson made over $100MM.  so did that kid that played for the celtics.  plenty of folk have lost $100MM.  cannot blame someone for wanting $53MM more.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I'd like to correct this:

1.  New York City and state’s combined top tax rate is currently 12.70% http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/09/17/not-easy-for-new-yorkers-to-escape-the-big-apples-tax-bite/

$240 x 12.7% =  $30,480,000  

It's not 12.7% on the total value of the contract. It's 12.7% on that portion of the contract that exceeds the threshold for the lower tax bracket. I don't know what the brackets are, but here's an example:

If the brackets are:

5% up to $100,000

10% up to $1,000,000

and 12.7% over $1,000,000

then the tax on $240mm over 10 years (i.e. $24mm per year) is:

($5000 + $10,000 + $2,921,000) x 10 = $29,360,000

(Remember, those marginal rates are fictional, and so is the final number I produced).

The point is not that there is a significant difference between the actual tax paid, but that your post misrepresents how a top marginal tax rate is applied to income. In a progressive tax system, the tax rate only applies to the portion of income that falls within that bracket, not to the entire income.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Legacy.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

uh, most people can't even fathom being capable of taking care of their great great grandchildren whilst they are living month to month.......it's not a matter of "not caring"...poor choice of words..............

i'm all for making as much as they can but it's hard to watch these guys leave your team so their great great great great great children will never have to work a day in their lives whilst most people live month to month.............and then to have someone say "most people don't CARE about helping their great great children"; they care but there's not much they can do about it......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

1-IRT the taxes, but my guess is that the extra state taxes is ~ $6M.  The value of the extra income the additional $2M the NYY would pay him annually is about $4M.  The net difference is $2M, maybe less.

not really following that JB

all I know is wash has no income  tax

and I'm pretty sure there is no city income tax like nyc has either

save the sales tax talk this guy will be out of state plenty

2-There is no answer to your question (except Pedroia of course) because you are not giving me equal choices.  Start with the $32M, add in another $2M for taxes less investment earnings, deduct off what he would earn in years 39 & 40, and then deduct off what he would have earned in extra endoresements, and then tell what the real difference is.

(except Pedroia of course)

lol stop it JB just stop

Pedroia doesn't even fit into the conversation

he left 0 on the table, never was a FA never got other offers

NO ONE HAS LEFT THE MONEY ON THE TABLE

U SUGGEST CANO WOULD OF

NO ONE

Y not address this

Cano would not be walking away from $32M.  If he still wanted to, he could play the extra two years.  He would not likely get $16M per, but given the inflation rate in salaries, he might easily get $8M per.

why U feeding me this BS JB

do you actually think players & agents think that way

[/QUOTE]

If you don't want to discuss it rationally, that's fine.  But I am askin gyou a simple question.

Here is the question you are asking-All things being equal, would I rather work on 48th street for the rest of my career for $800k, or work on 49th street for the rest of my career for $950k.  If, as you are pretending, all things are equal, then we are in agreement that $950k is better than $800k.

But the reality is that $950k is for 10 years, while the $800k is for 8 years.  And the $950 job is actually way downtown and not on 49th street.  And I might have to pay higher commuting costs.

Here are the facts-

Seattle is paying $32M more than in my proposed example for two extra years.  How much would Cano earn in those two extra years?  How much in endorsement did he lose.  Take those two numbers off of the extra $32M Seattle is paying him, and that is the net difference for moving from Yankee Stadium to Safeco.

Or do it this way.  Count backwards.  If Seattle offered him $240M/10, would have accepted for the NYY

• $239M/8
    • $238M/8
    • $237M/8

I mean, do you think it is impossble that he would've accepted a little less from NY, for two years less work?  Seriously?  Bernie took less.  Beltran offered to take less when he signed with the NYMs.  Lee took less from Philly. Peirzinski took less from the RS.  Napoli took less from the RS.  Players take less all the time.

If you want to discuss how much less, fine.  But if you think that Cano wouldn't take $239M/8 from NY rather than $240M/10 from Seattle, you either have a really low opinion of Cano, or a really low opinion of NY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Maybe a lot of people don't think or care much about the well-being of their great great grandchildren, but I don't fault anyone who does.

[/QUOTE]

uh, most people can't even fathom being capable of taking care of their great great grandchildren whilst they are living month to month.......it's not a matter of "not caring"...poor choice of words..............

i'm all for making as much as they can but it's hard to watch these guys leave your team so their great great great great great children will never have to work a day in their lives whilst most people live month to month.............and then to have someone say "most people don't CARE about helping their great great children"; they care but there's not much they can do about it......

Fair points, but when someone suggests a player is selfish or disloyal, because he chose not to leave $50M on the table, I kind of think it implies that there's no way 1 person can spend all that money anyways, and there is little difference between having a net wealth of $200M vs $250M.

It was a poor choice of words, but I do think for various reasons, some posters don't think players might want that money for their decendants and not all for themselves. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1.  New York City and state’s combined top tax rate is currently 12.70% http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2013/09/17/not-easy-for-new-yorkers-to-escape-the-big-apples-tax-bite/

1-I believe that you would need to be a resident of NYC to be charged NYC tax.

2-The top tax rate for NYS is 8.82.  There are brackets prior to 8.82, but I don't think they would have a material effect.

3-The bigger impact is that i believe you only get charged tax for earnings in the state.  This is actually a big thing for athletes since NYS taxes visiting athletes.  Assu,img you are not a NYS resident, then NYS only charges you tax for eanings in the state.  I assumed for this purpose, that they would charge tax on 81/162 of your income.  But my guess is that I overestimated, and that a tax attorney would make the case that the athletes salary is earned over a much longer period, including ST, so the portion of the tax earned in NYS is closer to 81/220.

4-I don't know if it phases out, but state tax is deductible for federal tax purposes.  So if you're in the marginal 39.6 bracket, then you get 39.6% of that state tax back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

U still never answered this JB

Cano would not be walking away from $32M.  If he still wanted to, he could play the extra two years.  He would not likely get $16M per, but given the inflation rate in salaries, he might easily get $8M per.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    If you don't want to discuss it rationally, that's fine.  But I am askin gyou a simple question.

Here is the question you are asking-All things being equal, would I rather work on 48th street for the rest of my career for $800k, or work on 49th street for the rest of my career for $950k.  If, as you are pretending, all things are equal, then we are in agreement that $950k is better than $800k.

But the reality is that $950k is for 10 years, while the $800k is for 8 years.  And the $950 job is actually way downtown and not on 49th street.  And I might have to pay higher commuting costs.

Here are the facts-

Seattle is paying $32M more than in my proposed example for two extra years.  How much would Cano earn in those two extra years?  How much in endorsement did he lose.  Take those two numbers off of the extra $32M Seattle is paying him, and that is the net difference for moving from Yankee Stadium to Safeco.

Or do it this way.  Count backwards.  If Seattle offered him $240M/10, would have accepted for the NYY

• $239M/8
    • $238M/8
    • $237M/8

I mean, do you think it is impossble that he would've accepted a little less from NY, for two years less work?  Seriously?  Bernie took less.  Beltran offered to take less when he signed with the NYMs.  Lee took less from Philly. Peirzinski took less from the RS.  Napoli took less from the RS.  Players take less all the time.

for the umpteenth time we R talikng much more money

do you have any idea where this conversation started

I was asking RSN to admit that if nyy signed cano

RSN would be all over them

and U started here

I'm not sure that was the only option.  Bob and I came to identical number on a projected contract of $208M/8.  Your question is phrased like the only two choices were the $240M/10 or the $168/7.  If you had offered $208M/8, I'm not sure there would've been a lot of negative comments

gawd only knows how we got here from there

If you want to discuss how much less, fine.  But if you think that Cano wouldn't take $239M/8 from NY rather than $240M/10 from Seattle, you either have a really low opinion of Cano, or a really low opinion of NY.

yanks offered 175 and most thought they would go up to 200

your shell game means nothing

bottom line is

According to the person, Cano's agents made a last-ditch pitch to the Yankees on Thursday night, saying the five-time All-Star would return for a pact worth $235 million -- a $5-million hometown discount.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-lose-robinson-cano-but-gain-carlos-beltran-1.6554071

my point stands

had the yanks agreed RSN would have been all over nyy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here are the facts-

• $239M/8
    • $238M/8
    • $237M/8

and U started here

I'm not sure that was the only option.  Bob and I came to identical number on a projected contract of $208M/8.  Your question is phrased like the only two choices were the $240M/10 or the $168/7.  If you had offered $208M/8, I'm not sure there would've been a lot of negative comments

botton line is

According to the person, Cano's agents made a last-ditch pitch to the Yankees on Thursday night, saying the five-time All-Star would return for a pact worth $235 million -- a $5-million hometown discount.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-lose-robinson-cano-but-gain-carlos-beltran-1.6554071

my point stands

[/QUOTE]

woopy woop

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

A star on the NY Yankees and a star on the Seattle Mariners. Yeah, that's the same in endorsements. Laughing

this read says B4 the roid issues braun in milwaukee was able to match arods earnings

what do U & JB have that says cano couldn't do the same

better yet 2 the point

what do U have to show me the ny endorsements R worth leaving 40 mill on the table

Ken Griffey, Jr. Net Worth, Salary, Contracts, Endorsements - See more at: http://celebnetworth.org/ken-griffey-jr-net-worth-salary#sthash.iiGpsIYs.dpuf

He signed lucrative endorsement deals with Nike and Nintendo. He also had endorsements with Pizza Hut, Upper Deck, General Mills, Pepsi, Power Ice, Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes, and Dick’s Sporting Goods, among others. -

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

1-I believe that you would need to be a resident of NYC to be charged NYC tax.

2-The top tax rate for NYS is 8.82.  There are brackets prior to 8.82, but I don't think they would have a material effect.

3-The bigger impact is that i believe you only get charged tax for earnings in the state.  This is actually a big thing for athletes since NYS taxes visiting athletes.  Assu,img you are not a NYS resident, then NYS only charges you tax for eanings in the state.  I assumed for this purpose, that they would charge tax on 81/162 of your income.  But my guess is that I overestimated, and that a tax attorney would make the case that the athletes salary is earned over a much longer period, including ST, so the portion of the tax earned in NYS is closer to 81/220.

4-I don't know if it phases out, but state tax is deductible for federal tax purposes.  So if you're in the marginal 39.6 bracket, then you get 39.6% of that state tax back.

no idea why U R even talking about this

my point was

seattle has no state or city tax

no way he wouldn't pay more taxes in ny

what kind of self respecting sox fan doesn't remember

jeter getting accused of not paying millions in ny taxes

If New York respects his change in domicile, the state would be reduced to treating Jeter as a nonresident, which would permit them to levy tax only on the income earned by Jeter on “duty days” — basically, days on which the Yankees play or practice — within the state. Any income not taxed in New York — or allocated to another state in which Jeter plays for the Yanks – will be sourced to Florida and escape taxation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2013/03/27/derek-jeter-calls-florida-home-tax-savings-soon-to-follow/

still a lot more than no taxes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Too funny.

[/QUOTE]

i like the name calling.  keep it going!

btw...i am guessing your join date of the name 2004ALCS was right after game 3......

[/QUOTE]

"right after game 3"

LOL.

Keep it coming.

Like others here have noted you have no credibility.

A point driven home after every one of your posts.

The major difference between us as Sox fans is I give the Yankees respect for what they have accomplished in the past and what they are likely to do in the future. Posters like you would rather live with your head up your azz and pretend they are not a threat.

Oh yea. One other thing. The game itself appears to be out of your grasp.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes, I do.  Certainly not all players, but I believe that, if the RS offer Napoli a little more money, for one less year, that he might take it.

my point stands

And my point still stands that the NYY might have gotten him had the offered something in between.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

Here are the facts-

• $239M/8
    • $238M/8
    • $237M/8

and U started here

bottom line is

my point stands

[/QUOTE]

Red Sox fans are biased against NY??

Get out!! When did this happen???

Perhaps you should join a board that has more "merit".

The lack of it here really seems to bother you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

just like keeping it real

4 the occasional fans &  those little B & G in RSN

sorry you & KST

don't agree the more merit / creditbility

the better the board/conversation

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Here are the facts-

• $239M/8
    • $238M/8
    • $237M/8

and U started here

bottom line is

my point stands

[/QUOTE]

Probably so Zac, because that would have been nearly as stupid a deal as the Mariners did with Cano. There is no player alive who deserves that kind of money. The Yankees did the right thing: set a value and stick with it. They are a franchise that is in better shape because of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

sorry you & KST

[/QUOTE]

zac, what I think is that the Yankees should have tried to extend him before he got to free agency.  But they have a policy about not giving extensions don't they?  That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  OTOH they gave that opt-out to Sabathia that turned into an extension.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

sorry you & KST

[/QUOTE]

I simply think Yankee fans should expect some biased opinions here.

I suppose I could go to a Yankee board and make a stink every time a post that was unkind to the Sox was posted.

But, that would make me a richard.

If you were that concerned about "keeping it real" here, you'd also be annoyed by a lot of the ridiculous posts made about the Sox.

But, I'm guessing you enjoy those, "real" or not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    zac, what I think is that the Yankees should have tried to extend him before he got to free agency.  But they have a policy about not giving extensions don't they?  That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

I think U R exactly right Hnut

and that's exactly what they did

Yanks reach out to Robinson Cano

Updated: February 8, 2013, 9:56 PM ET By Wallace Matthews | ESPNNewYork.com

In a break from their customary policy, the New York Yankees have discussed the possibility of a contract extension with second baseman Robinson Cano, who will be a free agent after this season.

More from ESPNNewYork.com

The Yankees' offer to Robinson Cano shows how desperately they want to avoid what is sure to be a bidding war for Cano's services this winter, Wallace Matthews writes. Blog

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8930368/new-york-yankees-already-talking-extension-robinson-cano

granted that was w/boras

but  then while talks cont  JZ ask for  310 in sept

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I simply think Yankee fans should expect some biased opinions here.

I suppose I could go to a Yankee board and make a stink every time a post that was unkind to the Sox was posted.

has little  to do with being biased and nothing to do with unkind

it's about having merit and being true