Yanks/Sox III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yanks/Sox III

Good morning all...baseball is back....we open the 2nd half at Fenway Park...they come out of the break with the Sox still in first place after a break even West Coast trip, Yanks begin the half 6 games behind the Sox, closing the half losing 2 of 3 to the Twins..Yanks still attempting to compete battling injuries though they now have a couple of players due to return from the DL...Sox lead season series 4 games to 2...Yanks start an important week for them with a 6 game road trip(Boston and Texas) can they continue to compete with such a limited offense of late? while the Sox continue to hit well while sometimes pitching so-so and other times very good and the O's becoming an all around dangerous team...a really good start is probably why they start the half 7 games over .500 as injuries and controversy hover above..Yanks need to really put together more phases of this game if they hope to contend....Game 1 pits Felix Doubront vs Andy Pettitte...everyone enjoy the games and your weekend...baseball's back!!    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox III

I wouldnt be suprise that the Red Sox sweep the yankees this weekend.  But with a long four days off could effect both team.  All the Red Sox have to do is to try to win the game badly tonite to set the tone for the weekend as well for the second half. Pettitte is going to be an awful tough pitcher to bat against.  Hopefully Boston just get as many single hit to get as many easy runs off of him.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Good morning all...baseball is back....we open the 2nd half at Fenway Park...they come out of the break with the Sox still in first place after a break even West Coast trip, Yanks begin the half 6 games behind the Sox, closing the half losing 2 of 3 to the Twins..Yanks still attempting to compete battling injuries though they now have a couple of players due to return from the DL...Sox lead season series 4 games to 2...Yanks start an important week for them with a 6 game road trip(Boston and Texas) can they continue to compete with such a limited offense of late? while the Sox continue to hit well while sometimes pitching so-so and other times very good and the O's becoming an all around dangerous team...a really good start is probably why they start the half 7 games over .500 as injuries and controversy hover above..Yanks need to really put together more phases of this game if they hope to contend....Game 1 pits Felix Doubront vs Andy Pettitte...everyone enjoy the games and your weekend...baseball's back!!    

Finally!

Reruns of Bar Rescue and Full Throttle Saloon just weren't cutting it.

It'll be interesting to see how much better the Yankees can be with a few of their regulars back.

The offense can certainly use any help they can get.

And you left out the Rays, Jetes.

They start off against the Jays this weekend, so it's a good bet they take 2-3.

The Sox will need to win this weekend to maintain their lead.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Amazing Yank's have scored less runs, than they given up, and still in the race.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hope we can hang in there this weekend, Farrell is doing an excellent job has the Sox playing like a team. Will be tough for the pinstripes imo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Finally!

Reruns of Bar Rescue and Full Throttle Saloon just weren't cutting it.

It'll be interesting to see how much better the Yankees can be with a few of their regulars back.

The offense can certainly use any help they can get.

And you left out the Rays, Jetes.

They start off against the Jays this weekend, so it's a good bet they take 2-3.

The Sox will need to win this weekend to maintain their lead.

yikes...you're right 4B's...damn, and as hot as they've been....Embarassed

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I feel like this is the reverse of 2006 when the Sox had a 5 gamer with the Yanks. NY knew they could put away the Sox and they did. Hopefully the Sox have the attitude the Yankees had back then.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I feel like this is the reverse of 2006 when the Sox had a 5 gamer with the Yanks. NY knew they could put away the Sox and they did. Hopefully the Sox have the attitude the Yankees had back then.

What a brutal weekend that was...

I was at the first two games, the double header.

The longest and worst day I ever had at Fenway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

kinda liked it myself Tongue OutWink...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

kinda liked it myself Tongue OutWink...

LOL

Bastid!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This is shaping up to be a great race with four teams in contention.  Regardless of their records there isn't a team in the AL East who can't beat any other team, including the Jays. 

The only team I see as being out of the race is Toronto.   The Jays need to win 45 more games to get to 90 and 90 may not get them into the playoffs.  In addition to that they'd almost HAVE to get most of those wins within the AL East.  That's probably not going to happen.

Given the parity among the four top teams right now I'd take my chances with 94 wins.  To get there:

Sox 36-29  (.553)

TB  39-27   (.591)

Balt 41-25  (.621)

NYY 43-24  (.642)

Baseball, like any sport with a long season, is a game of streaks.  The Sox have gotten to where they are by not having a sustained losing streak.  If they can keep that up I like their chances.  If they dump five in a row this could get very interesting in a very short time but they appear to have what it takes to keep this from happening:  Pretty darn good starting pitching and the ability to frequently come up with big hits at the right moment. 

Time will tell, but right now I'd rather be where the Sox are than where any other team is.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This is shaping up to be a great race with four teams in contention.  Regardless of their records there isn't a team in the AL East who can't beat any other team, including the Jays. 

The only team I see as being out of the race is Toronto.   The Jays need to win 45 more games to get to 90 and 90 may not get them into the playoffs.  In addition to that they'd almost HAVE to get most of those wins within the AL East.  That's probably not going to happen.

Given the parity among the four top teams right now I'd take my chances with 94 wins.  To get there:

Sox 36-29  (.553)

TB  39-27   (.591)

Balt 41-25  (.621)

NYY 43-24  (.642)

Baseball, like any sport with a long season, is a game of streaks.  The Sox have gotten to where they are by not having a sustained losing streak.  If they can keep that up I like their chances.  If they dump five in a row this could get very interesting in a very short time but they appear to have what it takes to keep this from happening:  Pretty darn good starting pitching and the ability to frequently come up with big hits at the right moment. 

Time will tell, but right now I'd rather be where the Sox are than where any other team is.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Agree.

And, while the Jays may be out of it, they've got enough talent to make life miserable for the other four team that are playing them, if they can get hot again.

I hope it starts tonight, with the Rays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

though none was the same day, the roughest stretch i remember was an 07' road trip where you guys and the Rays swept us back to back then we went home and lost the first game the series to you guys...and the baseball end result was no fun either...YellTongue Out  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

though none was the same day, the roughest stretch i remember was an 07' road trip where you guys and the Rays swept us back to back then we went home and lost the first game the series to you guys...and the baseball end result was no fun either...YellTongue Out  

Yup, when you're begging your team to put up a fight, and just win one game, you know it's a bad stretch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Jeter placed on the 15 day DL.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/jeter-15-day-disabled-list-19711765

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I remember 2006 like it was yesterday.  August.  The Yankees had good pitching and hitting, and the Sox had good hitting and horrible, horrible pitching at that point.  Manny Ramirez was red hot in the first four games, but it was a long way from being enough, so he simply didn't play game 5.  And it all happened at Fenway, not Yankee Stadium.

This time the Yankees have the pitching but suspect hitting.  The Sox have maybe one big hitter, Ortiz, but a pretty deep lineup that scores runs. 

I do not see a Sox sweep for the simple reason the Yankees still have good pitching and they are going with good lefties, Pettitte and Sabathia, in games one and three.  Lefties have given the Sox more problems this year than righties.  At least a couple times opposing teams not only started lefties, but sent in lefties as the first reliever to follow the lefty starter. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Yup, when you're begging your team to put up a fight, and just win one game, you know it's a bad stretch.

A team working on practically all cylinders, via a remarkeable recovery from last yr, vs a team with maybe 4 good players and a bunch of minor leaguers, cripples, & has beens, that somehow has a $200M payroll.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Yankees vs Sox is really getting old. Just not the same anymore. Each team with new players and the feeling is totally different now.Just another game just another win. Maybe a real good brawl would put the spark back? Or time for realignment. The welcome mat is worn out!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Yankees are going to have a very difficult time facing lester and Doubrant without right handed bats in the line-up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Looking at a Red Sox sweep of the Yankees, a Jays sweep of the Rays, a Rangers sweep of the Os. 

Standings by the end of the weekend:

Boston           ---

Tampa Bay    5 1/2

Baltimore       7 1/2

New York       9

Toronto         11 1/2

Make it happen Baseball Gods!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Looking at a Red Sox sweep of the Yankees, a Jays sweep of the Rays, a Rangers sweep of the Os. 

Standings by the end of the weekend:

Boston           ---

Tampa Bay    5 1/2

Baltimore       7 1/2

New York       9

Toronto         11 1/2

Make it happen Baseball Gods!

yeah, keep looking pal!! WinkLaughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

A team working on practically all cylinders, via a remarkeable recovery from last yr, vs a team with maybe 4 good players and a bunch of minor leaguers, cripples, & has beens, that somehow has a $200M payroll.

welcome to the 2012 red sox.

just think, if the yankees only win 69 games i can use that statistic as a talking point for why the 2014 yankees will suck..........

would you like to take those comments back now? it will ease your suffering in the long run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 1 to the Sox 4-2...riding homers by Ellsbury and Johnny Gomes.. Pettitte bit by the long ball while going 6 + and taking the loss..Gardner ejected and Yanks suffer another injury Almonte suffers an ankle injury..Sox up lead to 7.5 and the season lead to 5-2...Game 2 pits Kuroda vs Lackey

Sections
Shortcuts