Yanks/Sox III

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox III

In response to slasher9's comment:

well, at least i will be at the shore this weekend.  a bit easier to sit thru 4 hour baseball games with the sweet smell of salt water air.....

other names i have posted under:  none

Me too...but I sense a sweep coming..and I agree..that wonderful salt air can make almost anything a bit more bearable :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

well, at least i will be at the shore this weekend.  a bit easier to sit thru 4 hour baseball games with the sweet smell of salt water air.....

other names i have posted under:  none

Even Michael Kay?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Amazing all the backbiting totally unrelated to the OP.

Jete,

A painful thread for us in the RSN.  I like our three starters for this series, but don't at all like our hitting to date.  Last year we struggled a little against lefties, and this year it's righties--but really righties and lefties.  I will watch the games, but expect them to be unpleasant reminders and unhappy season to date. 

Max

hey max!!...i hear you, tho we aren't exactly knocking the cover off the ball either, and Tanaka aside, not getting a bunch of Koufaxian performances, the pitching matchups don't look too good, Saturday is about a wash..but despite the issues the Yanks have played pretty well against you guys so far...i'll still manage to enjoy the games..well, Friday and Saturday....the deathmarch(Sunday night)..not so much

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well, at least i will be at the shore this weekend. 

hey Slash, while you're there..get that 20 bucks that Snooki owes me :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

well, at least i will be at the shore this weekend. 

hey Slash, while you're there..get that 20 bucks that Snooki owes me :-)

[object HTMLDivElement]

I shudder to think of what you did to earn it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Jete,

A painful thread for us in the RSN.  I like our three starters for this series, but don't at all like our hitting to date.  Last year we struggled a little against lefties, and this year it's righties--but really righties and lefties.  I will watch the games, but expect them to be unpleasant reminders and unhappy season to date. 

Max

hey max!!...i hear you, tho we aren't exactly knocking the cover off the ball either, and Tanaka aside, not getting a bunch of Koufaxian performances, the pitching matchups don't look too good, Saturday is about a wash..but despite the issues the Yanks have played pretty well against you guys so far...i'll still manage to enjoy the games..well, Friday and Saturday....the deathmarch(Sunday night)..not so much

"Saturday is about a wash." Hey, Jete, how about the SOX give the Yanks Lester for Tanaka? Would you consider that a wash?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Jete,

Max

I miss the old days when the sox and yanks would slug it out.  I know some like low scoring games with 1 run wins but I like more action.  The AL is starting to look like the NL in some ways zzzzzzzzz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Jete,

Max

I miss the old days when the sox and yanks would slug it out.  I know some like low scoring games with 1 run wins but I like more action.  The AL is starting to look like the NL in some ways zzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 1 to the Yanks 6-0...nice job by Nuno as he pitches 5 scoreless innings, the Yanks offense leads the way with 3 homers..McCann, and back to back by Gardner and Johnson..Yanks look to continue their roll as Game 2 pits Jon Lester 8-7/3.14 v. Masahiro Tanaka 11-2/2.11

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

The sox stunk tonight but as the much revered Rob Bradford points out, the schedule is way too tough and the sox are only human.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 2 to the Sox 2-1.....Sox ride the outstanding pitching of Lester and homers early(Ross) and late(Napoli) to the win..a great throwback Yanks/Sox game..Tanaka also pitches great, but sitting on 130 pitches is sent back out(unwisely??) for the 9th and surrenders a homer to Naopli...the turning point i think was Pedroia starting a clutch DP with the Yanks rallying along with pacing the Sox with 3 hits..Sox even the series at 1 apiece Game 3 Sunday night(ESPN..oy!!) pits John Lackey 8-5/3.45 v. Chase Whitley 3-1/4.07

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

but sitting on 130 pitches is sent back out(unwisely??)

not sure if it matters but

I think it was 9 innings 118 pitches total jeet

2 less than lester who was terrific for 8inn

yes it lost the game but I generally don't knock anyone 4 a solo HR

especially one like that

while pitch location was the true problem

others think it was pitch selection

Mike Napoli calls Yankees' ace 'an idiot'
    Napoli may not have meant anything by it, but the Yankees surely won’t appreciate him calling their ace an idiot, especially for a national TV audience to hear. It has been a long time since there has been any real hostility between these teams, but you wonder if the Yankees would respond to this with retaliation of some sort.
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Sunday, June 29, 2014, 1:39 AM

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Jete,

I agree a good game 2 for the Sox, but don't quite agree on the double play via Pedroia as the key.  In another inning the Yankees had three straight singles but failed to score because the first guy, Gardner, was caught stealing on a great throw by Ross that was well ahead of the runner.  I did not realize Tanaka had thrown so many pitches and entirely agree he had no business out there in the 9th.  Friday night there was no hesitation in pulling the starter in the 6th with two outs and Ortiz on first with a walk.  I might add the Yankees bullpen dominated the Sox Friday night.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

especially one like that

Napoli may not have meant anything by it, but the Yankees surely won’t appreciate him calling their ace an idiot, especially for a national TV audience to hear. It has been a long time since there has been any real hostility between these teams, but you wonder if the Yankees would respond to this with retaliation of some sort.
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

mornin' Zac, my saying unwisely was more question than statment, and thanks for the correction i saw after that i had his PC total wrong, i not knocking him being out there, ftr he shook McCann off twice in that sequence, so i agree about pitch selection..just him being over 100 pitches period made me ask the question..despite that outcome, the kind of Yanks/sox game we've missed for a while

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

the Yanks should absolutely retaliate..by winning tonight's game...it will only be a big deal if people take Napoli's words out of context..besides, Sox players aren't exactly known for filters 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

especially one like that

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Zac in all fairness, that's not exactly a true account of the situation. He said it walking into and down the dugout steps, while being met by his teammates.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=bos#gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=video" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=bos#gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=video" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=recap_away&c_id=bos#gid=2014_06_28_bosmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=video

NEW YORK -- It might have been the most-welcomed 96-mph heater Mike Napoli has ever seen.

He got just enough of the offering from Masahiro Tanaka to get it over the wall in right field at Yankee Stadium with two outs in the top of the ninth on Saturday night, snapping a tie and lifting the Red Sox to a badly needed 2-1 victory over their rivals.

To say Napoli, who had been baffled by Tanaka's nasty splitter for strikeouts in his two previous at-bats, was surprised by the pitch selection would be an understatement.

"What an idiot! What an idiot!" a gleeful Napoli roared to David Ortiz, Dustin Pedroia, Jake Peavy and others as he ran back into the dugout, the words clearly picked up by the telecast on FOX.

Napoli wasn't trying to disparage Tanaka. Instead, he was caught up in the moment and thrilled at what he viewed as a surprise gift.

"Nothing against him," Napoli said. "I was just surprised he didn't try to bury another splitter in the dirt."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

He also said it in his dugout.... do we now have to answer to everything we say in a dugout about an opposing player? Is the word "idiot" now a hate word? The writer wrote a terrible piece.... if this is the way forward than we are truly doomed.

Apparently, B Ken Rosenthal could wait to tweet it out ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Tweeps pointed out post-game that our cameras caught Napoli saying, "What an idiot," after hitting home run on fastball off Tanaka...

Failing of course, to find out or mention the circumstances. Hey, at least he didn't call him a F*&(in' idiot

ESPN will spend half of tonight's game talking about it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    Suspect the Yankees grasp the context and just play the game. Big difference between talking to teammates and showing somebody up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Larger question is how much leeway should TV cameras get. Is everything said between players on the field fair game?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

‏@PeteAbe
    Larger question is how much leeway should TV cameras get. Is everything said between players on the field fair game?

[object HTMLDivElement] You have to be careful these days, cameras, microphones and cell phones are everywhere. This was not a big deal. Just something said in the moment. But to be fair, I'm pretty sure we would not like it if the shoe was on the other foot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 3 and series to the Sox 8-5...another multi-hit game from Pedroia and a 3 run homer from Ortiz(career HR #450), help lead the Sox to the series win..the game featured Sox rookie Mookie Betts 1st  MLB hit and run scored..Yanks offense logs 9 hits 3 by Beltran(homer) 2 hits by Jeter and a homer by Teixiera..John Lackey  goes 5 innings giving up 5 runs(4 earned) to get the win..Chase Whitley lasts just 4 innings surrendering 5 earned to hamper the Yanks efforts...Yanks now host the recently hot Rays, and the Sox head to Fenway to host the Cubs..everyone have a great week....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Whatever Yankee player would have to get in line, after all the fans here got done with said Sox pitcher.

Tanaka got a little too cocky. It happens...

‏@PeteAbe

[object HTMLDivElement] You have to be careful these days, cameras, microphones and cell phones are everywhere. This was not a big deal. Just something said in the moment. But to be fair, I'm pretty sure we would not like it if the shoe was on the other foot. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Interesting question by one of the #RedSox: When is the last time they started an OF with 3 players making basically the minimum?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Lackey on Pedroia and Ortiz driving in 6 runs: “If you’re going to be good, your good guys got to be good,” #redsox

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Thanks for the thread, Jete.  I will more than likely root for the Yankees over the Rays.    I was completely surprised when the Sox took this series, especially getting 8 runs in game 3.  I was almost as surprised that Lackey pitched his second lousy game in a row (but he got the win anyway).   I have to admit I loved watching Ellsbury hit into the double play last night and that he went 3 for 11 with 0 runs scored in this series.  

I think the Yankees and Sox are very similar this year except that your guys have been the better "gamers," that is, better at winning tough games.  The Yankees have been outscored by 32 runs vs the Sox outscored by 33, but the Yankees are 2 above .500 and the Sox 6 below.  

On the other hand, the Sox, especially during the John Henry era, have always scored runs, but this year they are not, as in really, really not.  So it's a small miracle that they are only 6 games out--helped of course by the slide by the Jays.  

Sections
Shortcuts