Yanks, Sox, No Longer Rule in Free Agency

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Re: Yanks, Sox, No Longer Rule in Free Agency

I like the fact that other teams now have increased revenues and are willing to spend it. Parity is just what the doctor ordered for the good of baseball. Good link.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

Oohh the pain..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ehhh...it will still be the Red Sox and the Yankees who can operate right at the luxury tax threshold.  I do see a closing of the gap, but I think it will still be there.

I'm pretty sure if the Yankees didn't have Teixeira and the Red Sox didn't have Gonzalez, then one if not both of them would have ended up with Pujols/Fielder this offseason.

still I liked what I saw from the new CBA, and I do think it will change the way the game is managed for the better (for all teams involved)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

The Headline is one way to look at it i.e. other teams are catching up in revenue terms.

I think the Sox & Yankees have realised that the "short cut to success" of giving expensive, long-term contracts to (in baseball terms) middle aged players is actually a financial straightjacket carrying great risk.

The backbone of the great 90s Yankees and 00s Red Sox teams were homegrown or traded-for players.  There were exceptions - Manny, Damon, Clemens, Cone etc. - but they were not the rule.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Yanks, Sox, No Longer Rule in Free Agency:
    [QUOTE]ehhh...it will still be the Red Sox and the Yankees who can operate right at the luxury tax threshold.  I do see a closing of the gap, but I think it will still be there. I'm pretty sure if the Yankees didn't have Teixeira and the Red Sox didn't have Gonzalez, then one if not both of them would have ended up with Pujols/Fielder this offseason. still I liked what I saw from the new CBA, and I do think it will change the way the game is managed for the better (for all teams involved)
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Hugh - re 1B, I think it's absurd that teams spend so much money on 1B-men.  Sure, their production is high relative to other positions and they tend to have long, healthy careers relative to the high action positions (Vaughn and Howard notwithstanding)...but that's the nature of the beast.  Plus it's fairly easy to find or convert Youks, Penas, Yazes, etc. to be high performers at 1B.  The big money should be spent on the skill positions up the middle, imho....which carry far more health and performance risk.

I wonder if the willingness to spend so big on 1B free agents is the relative certainty that the (bogus) "risk" these GMs are taking will work out so they don't take the heavy criticism other, riskier positions bring when they don't work out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Yanks, Sox, No Longer Rule in Free Agency:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks, Sox, No Longer Rule in Free Agency : Hugh - re 1B, I think it's absurd that teams spend so much money on 1B-men.  Sure, their production is high relative to other positions and they tend to have long, healthy careers relative to the high action positions (Vaughn and Howard notwithstanding)...but that's the nature of the beast.  Plus it's fairly easy to find or convert Youks, Penas, Yazes, etc. to be high performers at 1B.  The big money should be spent on the skill positions up the middle, imho....which carry far more health and performance risk. I wonder if the willingness to spend so big on 1B free agents is the relative certainty that the (bogus) "risk" these GMs are taking will work out so they don't take the heavy criticism other, riskier positions bring when they don't work out.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Not sure that risk has much to do with it...More so its the middle of the order 30 plus Hrs-100 plus RBI and the 900 OPS that teams get from the top first baseman that make them so attractive. Guys like Puljos, Gonzalez & Texiera also bring the leather too. In terms of salaries by position if you add Fielder to the list above all have signed open market free agent deals in the last 3 years. The market value for middle of the order bats was set by Arod when he signed with Texas. Then the Santana deal with the Met's set the bar for pitchers...Today 20M per seams to be the starting point for elite free agents players regardless of position...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts