Yanks/Sox VI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Yanks/Sox VI

Good Morning all, Happy Friday...last regular season trip to Fenway for the Yanks, ultra crucial series for the NY nine, chance to take hold of a WC spot, Sox looking to damage NY's chances, last series saw the Sox come into YS and win 3 of 4 and clinch the season series, seemingly taking the Yanks out of it, their chase this month has been sort of a gift and a curse, Yanks have played pretty well, along with getting a little help along the way, but also continuing to pick up injuries Chris Stewart,Boone Logan, Ivan Nova and Brett Gardner have gotten hurt along with a season ending return to the DL for Derek Jeter...on a pleasant note,on Sunday The Red Sox will take their turn in honoring Mariano Rivera on his  final regular season appearance at Fenway Park, on yesterday's radio broadcast Suzyn Waldman said she knows what Boston is doing and it's something Mo won't ever forget...should be fun..Yanks needing to likely win 2 of 3 to remain in the race, Sox looking to spoil and also increase their division lead...Game 1 of the series pits Hiroki Kuroda 11-10/2.99 vs John Lackey 9-12/3.48..have a good weekend everyone...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox VI

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Good Morning all, Happy Friday...last regular season trip to Fenway for the Yanks, ultra crucial series for the NY nine, chance to take hold of a WC spot, Sox looking to damage NY's chances, last series saw the Sox come into YS and win 3 of 4 and clinch the season series, seemingly taking the Yanks out of it, their chase this month has been sort of a gift and a curse, Yanks have played pretty well, along with getting a little help along the way, but also continuing to pick up injuries Chris Stewart,Boone Logan, Ivan Nova and Brett Gardner have gotten hurt along with a season ending return to the DL for Derek Jeter...on a pleasant note,on Sunday The Red Sox will take their turn in honoring Mariano Rivera on his  final regular season appearance at Fenway Park, on yesterday's radio broadcast Suzyn Waldman said she knows what Boston is doing and it's something Mo won't ever forget...should be fun..Yanks needing to likely win 2 of 3 to remain in the race, Sox looking to spoil and also increase their division lead...Game 1 of the series pits Kiroki Kuroda 11-10/2.99 vs John Lackey 9-12/3.48..have a good weekend everyone...

I would say good luck Jete but not gonna lie....I really want the Sox to bury the Yanks because in all honestly.....I really don't want to face them in the playoffs!  Not only because I don't want to watch 4.5 hour games but because they are still very formidable and let's face it....they're the Yankees...they always seem to turn it on when they need to!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Good Morning all, Happy Friday...last regular season trip to Fenway for the Yanks, ultra crucial series for the NY nine, chance to take hold of a WC spot, Sox looking to damage NY's chances, last series saw the Sox come into YS and win 3 of 4 and clinch the season series, seemingly taking the Yanks out of it, their chase this month has been sort of a gift and a curse, Yanks have played pretty well, along with getting a little help along the way, but also continuing to pick up injuries Chris Stewart,Boone Logan, Ivan Nova and Brett Gardner have gotten hurt along with a season ending return to the DL for Derek Jeter...on a pleasant note,on Sunday The Red Sox will take their turn in honoring Mariano Rivera on his  final regular season appearance at Fenway Park, on yesterday's radio broadcast Suzyn Waldman said she knows what Boston is doing and it's something Mo won't ever forget...should be fun..Yanks needing to likely win 2 of 3 to remain in the race, Sox looking to spoil and also increase their division lead...Game 1 of the series pits Kiroki Kuroda 11-10/2.99 vs John Lackey 9-12/3.48..have a good weekend everyone...

Hey Jete.

TGIF!

I am psyched for this pitching match up.

I'm lucky enough to be going tonight.

They might actually play a game in under 3 1/2 hours. LOL
    Should be a good one!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey Jete.

TGIF!

Should be a good one!

[/QUOTE] hey 4B's...cool!!...enjoy the game...you know the atmo is going to be bananas

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

They might actually play a game in under 3 1/2 hours. 

well you just jinxed yourelf and all but guaranteed a 5 hour slugfest.

enjoy the game and i hope you stroll onto yawkey way @ 12:30am with a big smile on your face.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

With the Red Sox lining up the best pitching staffs, Lackey, Lester and Bucholtz facing against Kuroda, Sabathia and Nova.

I do not see Yankees have a chance to take 2 out of three against Sox.  Sabathia is awful at Fenway Park and Nova just injured his bicep in his last start.   Nova was one of the hottest pitcher of the Yankees staff for the second half of the season before he injured himself.  I do not know why he isnt missing his start.

So would the Sox sweep them, I could see it happening.  I do hope so.   I just hope Mo Riveria come in on sunday nite and just be a mop up pitcher to pitch his last time ever at Fenway Park!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Yo Jetes my brothah! Mo knows how much the red sox and their fans appreciate bearing witness to the greatest closer of all time making his final curtin call. that said, I hope he doesn't get the call to try and make a save unless they call him to simply come in and pitch a half an inning.

poor suzy will be in tears I'm sure.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

One Mo Time: Rivera vs. Red Sox
    September, 13, 2013
    Sep 13
    10:00
    AM ET
    By Katie Sharp and Mark Simon | ESPNNewYork.com

All season, we’ve been tracking Mariano Rivera as he prepares to pitch in his final series against each team. Next up on the goodbye list: the Boston Red Sox.

Rivera's career stats vs. Red Sox(the bolds to me epitomize how contested these games are)

Regular Season
    2.86 ERA
    58 saves
    16 blown saves
    126 innings pitched
    120 hits
    40 earned runs
    120 strikeouts
    37 walks

Postseason
    0.92 ERA
    6 saves
    2 blown saves
    19 2/3 innings pitched
    16 hits
    2 earned runs
    15 strikeouts
    2 walks

Did you know?
    • Rivera's 58 saves vs. the Red Sox are not only the most against the franchise by any player, but are more than the next two pitchers on the list combined, Rick Aguilera (27) and Roberto Hernandez (22).

• Mo has four saves vs. the Red Sox this season, and with three games remaining has a chance to match or surpass his single-season mark for saves against Boston. In 2001, 2005 and 2007 he had six.

Rivera's 13 wins against the Red Sox are his most vs. any team. He is also tied with Rollie Fingers for the most wins by a relief pitcher against the Red Sox in the Divisional Era (since 1969).

• Mariano did not allow a home run to a Red Sox batter over his first 30 appearances (34 innings) vs. the team.

That streak of 30 straight relief appearances without allowing a homer to begin his career vs. the Red Sox is the second-longest such streak all time, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Red Faber didn't allow a homer in his first 32 relief appearances vs. the Red Sox from 1914-33.

The first Red Sox hitter to go deep off Rivera was Manny Ramirez on June 4, 2001. Rivera blew the save thanks to Ramirez's two-run shot in the top of the ninth inning, but Luis Sojo's walk-off single in the bottom of the frame gave Rivera and the Yankees the win.

• Rivera's six postseason saves against the Red Sox are his most vs. any team. It is also tied for the most postseason saves by a single player against any team. Dennis Eckersley also had six postseason saves vs. the Red Sox.

• In seven playoff appearances at Yankee Stadium vs. the Red Sox, Rivera has converted all three of his save opportunities and has not allowed a run in 10 innings. In those games he has faced just nine batters with a man in scoring position, and has retired all of them, including five via strikeout.

Rivera has blown 16 regular-season saves vs. the Red Sox, his most against any team. It is also the most blown saves by a single pitcher against any team, ahead of Kent Tekulve's 14 blown saves vs. the Phillies.

• Rivera has hit nine Red Sox batters in his career. That's three more than any other team he's faced. He has hit Kevin Youkilis three times, but no other Red Sox hitter more than once.

• Rivera did not allow a stolen base in any of his first 48 appearances against the Red Sox, a streak that would end during the 2004 regular season when the Red Sox had steals in two different games against him.

They would get another in the postseason, the famous one by Dave Roberts in the ninth inning of Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, the only one they would get in 12 postseason games against him.

They Said It
    "In a world of uncertainty, in a world of 'look at me athletes,' for almost 20 years he was the most selfless, accountable and consistent professional in the history of sports."
    -- Curt Schilling, former Red Sox pitcher

The Magic Mo'ment
    • Oct. 16, 2003 -- Rivera closes out Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS against the Red Sox with three scoreless innings. Rivera's effort allowed Aaron Boone to win the game with a walk-off home run leading off the bottom of the 11th inning, giving the Yankees and Rivera one of the most dramatic postseason wins in baseball history.

More on Game 7:
    • Rivera is one of four pitchers to throw at least three scoreless innings of relief to earn the win in a winner-take-all postseason game, joining Hall of Famer Walter Johnson (1924 Senators), Joe Page (1947 Yankees) and Pedro Martinez (1999 Red Sox).

• Rivera has pitched three innings or more in two postseason games, both of which the Yankees won on dramatic home runs, the first by Jim Leyritz in Game 2 of the 1995 ALDS against the Mariners and the other in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, won by Boone’s homer.

Other Mo'ments
    • April 11, 2005 -- Rivera is given a standing ovation as players are introduced at Fenway Park prior to the Red Sox home opener against the Yankees, one in which the home fans would celebrate the team ending its World Series drought. Rivera would respond by tipping his cap to the crowd.

• July 5, 2008 -- The Red Sox trail the Yankees 2-1 with the bases loaded and nobody out in the ninth inning. The time has come for a Rivera great escape. He would strike out Coco Crisp, get Jason Varitek to pop to first and strike out Julio Lugo to end the game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I'm curious to see what they do for Mo, you know the Sox have to try to top all the other teams.  Maybe they'll give him front row seats for the RedSox playoff games.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm curious to see what they do for Mo, you know the Sox have to try to top all the other teams.  Maybe they'll give him front row seats for the RedSox playoff games.

[/QUOTE] LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

hey 4B's...cool!!...enjoy the game...you know the atmo is going to be bananas

Yup! Sox/ Yankees  games at Fenway always have a playoff feel to them.

Why they let all those Yankees fans in the gates is beyond me!!  Wink

well you just jinxed yourelf and all but guaranteed a 5 hour slugfest.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fi/c/c3/D_oh.jpg

enjoy the game and i hope you stroll onto yawkey way @ 12:30am with a big smile on your face.....

Thanks, Slasher!

Lackey is going to pitch a gem!

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think the Red Sox will win two out of three.  

Rivera's last trip to Fenway as a member of the Yankees.   I wonder what kind of gift the Red Sox will give him.    Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Continuous reruns of Dave Roberts' stealing second and scoring on Mueller's single up the middle on the big screen?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I most definitely want 2/3 not that winning 1 only or being swept affects our position except for having the best record vs Detroit. I fear the Yankees the most, their pitching is not as good as ours but in the last 3 games we won, we needed average 10 runs to do it ...their offense is always a threat.

I'm hoping we meet the A's in a playoff and I do like all their the Sox alumni on their team---wish we had kept Coco Crisp & could have avoided JD Drew, C. Crawford and saved a lot of money too. But the A's will be tough...remind me of our 2004 team but selfishly perhaps, I hope to go to the games here. But, don't want them to beat us !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Hey Jete.

TGIF!

Should be a good one!

Don't count on it. Have a good time. Perfect weather for a game. Don't forget your beardTongue Out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Don't count on it. Have a good time. Perfect weather for a game. Don't forget your beardTongue Out

Thanks, J-Bay!

Hope springs eternal!

My beard is more the Clay Buchholz type, than Napoli, but it's ready to go! Laughing

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Hey Jete.

TGIF!

Should be a good one!

hey 4B's..walk over to Lansdowne, they have a booth set up Tongue OutWink 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Interminable games, but almost always great baseball despite that.  Good matchups this weekend, starting tonight.  I can't wait even though I hate Sunday night games on espn.

A lot of credit goes to Girardi this year--credit to the Yankees for getting him.  He helped his team by blowing the Dempster HBP of ARod up into a big deal and getting thrown out of the game.  Dempster dumb, Girardi very smart.  Aggressive with his bullpen. 

That said, the Yankee players get a ton of credit for getting to this point despite all those guys on the DL during the season.  Hitting is better, pitching is good enough, and bullpen is better than ours (except for closer--this year only, of course). 

Worth noting about the last series.  Yes, the Sox took 3 of 4 at the Stadium, but the Yankees had the lead in three of them because they had no problem crunching Sox pitching.  Then they went to Camden Yards and took 3 of 4 from the Orioles, who are still in the wild card hunt. 

We like to think that a 10 game lead is huge, but it in fact reflects a very small difference in winning percentage.  So anything can happen in baseball.  Long ago, the September Red Sox were just trying to steal an upset or two and sometimes win a series despite being near the bottom (or the middle) of the American League.  And sometimes they did just that.  And this Yankees team is not that much of an underdog and fully capable of winning this series. 

That said, right now the Sox are playing awfully good ball.  Pitching and hitting are both on track (despite all those runs the Yankees scored).    Ellsbury so far is not missed, much, maybe because Farrell can go with Victorino in CF and Nava and Carp/Gomes in the other slots if he doesn't want to play Bradley, especially against a good lefty.  Team chemistry is very good.  Defense is not great, but good, especially in the infield.  Oh, and I think Ortiz is hands down the best defensive DH in MLB.  OK at 1B, but really good in the DH role, congratulating teammates for great plays.   

Thanks, as always, to Jete for starting these threads. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Hey Jete.

TGIF!

Should be a good one!

hey 4B's..walk over to Lansdowne, they have a booth set up Tongue OutWink 

LOL

Smartazz...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Sox most likely take 2 of 3

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Bad news for the Yankees, Gardner may be out of the season.  Meaning he will not be playing this weekend!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Continuous reruns of Dave Roberts' stealing second and scoring on Mueller's single up the middle on the big screen?

[/QUOTE]

Good one!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Bad news for the Yankees, Gardner may be out of the season.  Meaning he will not be playing this weekend!!

well UConn...in the words of a former Sox LF...... Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

I most definitely want 2/3 not that winning 1 only or being swept affects our position except for having the best record vs Detroit. I fear the Yankees the most, their pitching is not as good as ours but in the last 3 games we won, we needed average 10 runs to do it ...their offense is always a threat.

I'm hoping we meet the A's in a playoff and I do like all their the Sox alumni on their team---wish we had kept Coco Crisp & could have avoided JD Drew, C. Crawford and saved a lot of money too. But the A's will be tough...remind me of our 2004 team but selfishly perhaps, I hope to go to the games here. But, don't want them to beat us !!!

I don't fear the yanks, sox have the better team this year.  I know anything can happen, it is a game of inches after all!!!

I really don't like the second wc, it's a bad idea.  A team can have a very bad year and with a little bit of luck and a hot streak they can win the ws.  Back in 67' the best team from the AL played the best team from the NL.  Those were the days Wink