Yanks/Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Montero also has a history of starting out slow at the plate then catching fire warming up as the weather does.

I've seen it happen during career in the Yankee farm system.

Myself I tend to agree that this great catching propsect that the Mariners have, Zunino will eventually be the everday catcher.

However I do believe that they want Montero's bat in the lineup because they well know that is where his real value is to them is long term as a hitter or as trade bait.

Jesus Montero enjoyed the warm Arizona weather at Spring Training this year by posting a .400/.438/.711/1.149 line in 48 plate appearances (with the standard Spring Training and small-sample caveats).

Montero is going to be a bear.

Real quick wrists, he can get around on anyone.

When the Yankees first brought him up, one of his first games, Weaver tried to groove a fastball past him that ended up in the leftfield bleachers.

What I always liked about him was that he never tries to do too much with a pitch.

He takes whatever the pitcher gives him and goes with it, kind of like Miquel Cabrera.

He does not go to the plate looking to pull a pitch and he has the power to hit it out in any field of most ballparks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Game 3 goes to the Yanks 4-2, first win of the season to avoid the sweep, solid 8 innings from Andy Pettitte, save no 1 for Mo, unexpected homers from Gardner and Cervelli..Yanks head to Detroit to take on the Tigers...Sox head to the Great White North to face the Jays' 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Game 3 goes to the Yanks 4-2, first win of the season to avoid the sweep, solid 8 innings from Andy Pettitte, save no 1 for Mo, unexpected homers from Gardner and Cervelli..Yanks head to Detroit to take on the Tigers...Sox head to the Great White North to face the Jays' 

I wonder if coupon cutting Hal had any idea that Francisco Cervelli would have 1 more homerun than Curtis Martin (0) thus far into the season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

"those of us that follow the game"

Saw the slugger batting 7th. in a weak lineup.

It's already been documented he can't catch.

For what it's worth, 23-year-old Jesus Montero has a CERA of 0.50 in 18 innings after two road wins (with no passed balls and no steals surrendered) against the defending American League West champion Oakland Athletics.

Last season Montero posted a CERA of 3.80 in 487.2 innings on a Seattle team that had an overall team ERA of 3.76. The Red Sox posted a 4.70 ERA in 2012.

Montero, who caught a difficult six-pitcher no-hitter as a 22-year-old, is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated.

Yankees brass may be alot of things but Hank aside they are not stupid.

Look no further than the stiff behind the plate for them now and ask yourself if the yanks thought Montero was going to be a everyday catcher for a contending team would they have traded him for pitching? Something they already have some depth at.

Now look at Seattle and understand why Montero is being given the shot to catch where last year he was used mostly at DH.

The fan base in Seattle and around baseball are questioning why they gave up a potential top of the rotation guy for a DH who didn't hit like one. That said to save face they now have him catching in hopes they can show some return in the trade.

He is now batting 7th. in a very weak hitting lineup.

At one point in time I thought he might have a future with his bat.

Now I am starting to view Montero as a total bust.

For the past two years you have been saying Montero couldn't catch.

Now that he's catching he can't hit.

I wonder why he's in the lline-up if he can't hit or catch.

The the first 2 games of 2013 he is behind the plate and all of 23.

They have Kelly Shoppach as a back-up.

Begs the question if the Mariners believe like you that he can't hit or catch then why is he even playing?

Why did they trade Jaso?

Only a matter of time until your bs caught up you.

Still without a clue I see.

It's a fact shared by many in the know that Montero has defensive shortcomings.

My view on that has never changed.

I simply added the fact his ability to hit ML pitching appears also in question.

Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup.

Not saying much about the guy you pegged as a can't miss prospect.

Again I will add the yanks cut their losses on Montero.

Last night we all got to see stiff number 2 behind the plate for ny.

I am encouraged that you've softened from your initial contention that "It's already been documented he can't catch" to "It's a fact shared by many in the know that Montero has defensive shortcomings," an assertion that moves closer to my initial response that Montero "is unlikely to win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but his defensive shortcomings have been exaggerated."

Montero in fact has caught all three Seattle games so far this season. Montero has been charged with no passed balls and surrendered his first stolen base last night to Josh Reddick, whom Montero tagged out at home a few plays later (Montero had tagged out another Oakland runner at home a few innings earlier). At the plate, Montero went 2-for-3 in Seattle's first loss of the season.

You write that Jesus Montero was "Dropped to 7th. in a weak hitting lineup." That Seattle lineup was bolstered the offseason additions of Michael Morse, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez after the Mariners finished fifth in the league last year* in runs scored on the road. Thsi year the Mariners led all teams with 58 homeruns in 33 Spring Training games (the Red Sox had 17 homeruns in 35 Spring Training games).

The Yankees cut their losses on Jesus Montero no more than the Mariners cut their losses on Michael Pineda. 

I doubt Seattle is grooming Montero to be the long-term full-time solution at catcher. The Mariners more likely view Montero as a designated hitter and backup catcher to Mike Zunino or John Hicks. Alternatively, Seattle could use Montero as trade bait. Because Montero's trade value would be much higher as a catcher, the Mariners would not be showcasing Montero at catcher if the M's thought Montero had serious defensive deficiencies.

* the harsh hitting environment at Seattle's Safeco Field has masked the production of the Mariners' talented young hitters. As an aside, the Red Sox last year finished a distant last in the league in runs scored on the road.

Montero also has a history of starting out slow at the plate then catching fire warming up as the weather does.

I've seen it happen during career in the Yankee farm system.

Myself I tend to agree that this great catching propsect that the Mariners have, Zunino will eventually be the everday catcher.

However I do believe that they want Montero's bat in the lineup because they well know that is where his real value is to them is long term as a hitter or as trade bait.

"real value is to them is long term as a hitter"

Yes, a DH.

Bingo.

It takes a while for you but at the end you do come around to my point of view.

It just takes you much longer than most.

Your ever evolving opinion. Now Montero can hit yesterday he couldn't he was batting 7th in a weak line up.

Until your theory was punched apart by Hill55

Zunino is one of the top young catching prospects in all of baseball both defensively and with a bat.

Naturally with both he and Montero in the same line-up on the same roster, Montero would either catch or DH.

This is the season Montero emerges. More lumber in the line up for protection and a year under his belt.

Yawninggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Like I haven't heard that from you before.

Three years ago I said he was a DH.

Now he's a Future DH with average hitting potential.

ie, his stock has dropped which is why ny got rid of him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

I wonder if coupon cutting Hal had any idea that Francisco Cervelli would have 1 more homerun than Curtis Martin (0) thus far into the season.

"Curtis Martin" 

??? 

Just another sign of aging known as dementia.

BTW, Montero sat last night while Seattle went with a DH hitless so far this season.

Really.........they love his bat that much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

"Curtis Martin" 

??? 

BTW, Montero sat last night while Seattle went with a DH hitless so far this season.

So easy to forget Martin's name and bat, hitting a lofty .111 for the Bucs.

Nice drive by Frankie last night huh?

Montero sat yesterday because he caught the first three games 3 days in a row and yesterday was a day game, he had caught the night before.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

"Curtis Martin" 

??? 

Montero sat yesterday because he caught the first three games 3 days in a row and yesterday was a day game, he had caught the night before.

Was he too tired to DH?

Or did Seattle simply feel a hitless DH was a better option to Montero?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

"Curtis Martin" 

??? 

Was he too tired to DH?

Seattle signed Raul Ibanez and Kendry Morales in the off season who will do the lion's share at DH this season.

And why Montero is catching so they can get his bat into the line-up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Those of us who follow the game knew that much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

The deep Seattle roster has permitted manager Eric Wedge to rest most players. Only four players have appeared in all four games so far this season. No catcher is among the seven Red Sox players who have played all three games this year.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Those of us who follow the game knew that much.

Dementia at play.

Following the game and understanding the game clearly has you confused.

Let me know when "Curtis Martin" hit's his first big fly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

The deep Seattle roster has permitted manager Eric Wedge to rest most players. Only four players have appeared in all four games so far this season. No catcher is among the seven Red Sox players who have played all three games this year.

Please. DH'ing is considered a day off. Yanks use it to rest their old players all the time.

Bottom line, Seattle went with a DH they figured gave them a better chance to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

Please. DH'ing is considered a day off. Yanks use it to rest their old players all the time.

Bottom line, Seattle went with a DH they figured gave them a better chance to win.

Seattle signed Raul Ibanez and Kendry Morales specifically to DH.

The Yankees wanted to resign Ibanez for DH duties but he opted for the Mariners.

Montero sitting yesterday after 3 games on consecutive days is no different than what any other team in MLB does with platooning their catchers.

Catching is the most physically demanding position in baseball especially during the dog days of summer.

You cannot run your starting catcher into the ground early in the season and then expect him to stay healthy or last the entire season.

Look at the health problems Joe Mauer has experienced knees etc..

Montero like Mauer at 6' 4" is a big man.

But most of us who follow the game knew all that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

The Yankees wanted to resign Ibanez for DH duties but he opted for the Mariners.

Montero sitting yesterday after 3 games on consecutive days is no different than what any other team in MLB does with platooning their catchers.

Catching is the most physically demanding position in baseball especially during the dog days of summer.

You cannot run your starting catcher into the ground early in the season and then expect him to stay healthy or last the entire season.

"yankees wanted to resign Ibanez for DH duties but..."

Let me finish that for you.

but Coupon Clipping Hal is too cheap for one and the yankees are too old already for another.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

but Coupon Clipping Hal is too cheap for one and the yankees are too old already for another.

Ibanez wanted to go back to Seattle so he signed a 2.75 M deal when they offered it, didn't want to wait around as long as he did the previous season when the Yankees signed him a week before training camp.

But most of us who follow the game knew that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are.

For those of who post here but don't follow the game very closely.

The Dodgers could end the Yankees' 14-year streak as baseball's biggest spender

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2012/12/12/los-angeles-dodgers-new-york-yankees-2013-major-league-baseball-payroll/1765749/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In response to jimdavis's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Sox once again able to ride an early big inning to the W"

And take advantage of suspect Yankee pitching while riding solid pitching of their own...

also true...

Hey Jete:

I hope you are well.  The negativity led me to other outlets.  I'll be around from time to time.  How has the board been?

hey JD!!, i'm good thanks..hope you are as well..good to see you back..well as a whole i think the board's been ok, tho i'm starting to really get annoyed by the huge amount of removed posts in the threads..hard to take when you get to a good discussion that going on and one post is followed by 5-6 removed posts..

Case in point, Jete.  there is already a "bench Salty" thread.  The team is 3-1 and it is early April! Sigh!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to jimdavis' comment:

In response to jimdavis's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Sox once again able to ride an early big inning to the W"

And take advantage of suspect Yankee pitching while riding solid pitching of their own...

also true...

Hey Jete:

I hope you are well.  The negativity led me to other outlets.  I'll be around from time to time.  How has the board been?

hey JD!!, i'm good thanks..hope you are as well..good to see you back..well as a whole i think the board's been ok, tho i'm starting to really get annoyed by the huge amount of removed posts in the threads..hard to take when you get to a good discussion that going on and one post is followed by 5-6 removed posts..

Case in point, Jete.  there is already a "bench Salty" thread.  The team is 3-1 and it is early April! Sigh!

Good to see you back, Jim. The salty thread was from last year,  brought back to life. We're good for that, hereTongue Out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Was he too tired to DH?

Ibanez wanted to go back to Seattle so he signed a 2.75 M deal when they offered it, didn't want to wait around as long as he did the previous season when the Yankees signed him a week before training camp.

But most of us who follow the game knew that.

"Ibanez signed a 2.75M deal with Seattle"  " didn't want to wait around for ny"

Nice try Pop's. Having to school you is become a full time job.

Coupon Clipping Hal would never have matched that offer and Ibanez knew it.

That's why he left.

In 2012 his contract was 1.1M with ny.

Those of us who follow the game understand these things.

Hal cares more about the bottom line than winning.

Want proof. Look at the roster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2012/12/12/los-angeles-dodgers-new-york-yankees-2013-major-league-baseball-payroll/1765749/

"catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are"

That was the yankees of the past.

The new look yankees are cutting salaries of players like Mo and this past winter were not active in the FA market. In fact they let many of their own walk because they refused to spend money.

Sorry but your yanks no longer compete as they once did.

Please open your eyes and take a long hard look at the product they are putting on the field while hoping the AARP crew on the DL can somehow get well and younger.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The new look yankees are cutting salaries of players like Mo and this past winter were not active in the FA market. In fact they let many of their own walk because they refused to spend money.

Please open your eyes and take a long hard look at the product they are putting on the field while hoping the AARP crew on the DL can somehow get well and younger.

Those of us who follow the game noticed that in this past off season the Yankees gave Arod's replacement the has-been Youk 12 M for 2013, the most he ever got from Boston for 1 season.

Mariano is 43 coming off of a serious leg injury and is still getting 10 M for this season.

How much are the Sox giving Hanrahan or Bailey for 2013?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

And who did they "let go"?

Martin who after 4 games is currently batting .000 and a .143 OBP.

Or Swisher who signed with Cleveland for 4 years for 56 M??

The thought of having Nick Swisher in rf for the Yankees for 4 more years with .170 post season average while with them didn't really appeal to the Yankees.

What an ignoramus.

Most of the recent signings are for injured starters.

3 of the first 4 batters are out of the line-up injured.

Sections
Shortcuts