Yanks/Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox

Someone posted this on FB:

I set my DVR to record The Biggest Loser..but all it keeps recording are New York Yankees Games.

I took great pleasure in sharing it to all my Yankee loving friends :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are.

For those of who post here but don't follow the game very closely.

The Dodgers could end the Yankees' 14-year streak as baseball's biggest spender

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2012/12/12/los-angeles-dodgers-new-york-yankees-2013-major-league-baseball-payroll/1765749/

"catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are"

That was the yankees of the past.

The new look yankees are cutting salaries of players like Mo and this past winter were not active in the FA market. In fact they let many of their own walk because they refused to spend money.

Sorry but your yanks no longer compete as they once did.

Please open your eyes and take a long hard look at the product they are putting on the field while hoping the AARP crew on the DL can somehow get well and younger.

I've played with you long enough.

I do agree that Hal is different from his father in regards to restraint in spending.

But not for any of the silly examples that you continually provide here, which I punch holes in whenever you repeat them.

Where I think the Yankees under Hal have fallen down down in recent years where his father was much more agressive were the pursuit of free agents 

The Yankees luke warm pursuit of Yu Darvish or better yet handing Yoenis Cespedes over to the Oakland which George never would have stood for.

And GS would have been unapologetic to the rest of the teams in baseball and the media for whatever the cost was in signing them.

Everyone knew Cespedes was the real deal, and Darvish was rated pretty high by all of the oganizations too, but Hal's Yankees looked the other way.

Less so Chapman, there were questions there, but the Yankees didn't blink an eye for him either.

This is where the Yankees have changed not the goofy examples that you harp on.

But bleat away it's entertaining

Warm day here so it's time to play in the ocean. Just a quick one. All your examples of coupon clipping Hal keeping his money in the bank were valid points. No one can deny George his flare for winning. Hal, not so much. As for my examples of Hal being cheap. They too are valid. Don't care what Martin is currently hitting but no one with half a brain would rather have the two current catcher's over the guy you called Curtis Martin. I know. Simple senior moment. You can espect more in the days ahead. Another is letting last years closer walk. How about Abanez? He clearly is better than what sits on the yanks bench. Must be pretty painful for you watching the once proud team falling over themselves on the field. Comic relief at it's best. Best you can hope for today is CC throws a perfect game and it doesn't go more than 9 innings.

Just a quick one.

More of the same nonsense.

Yankees are playing the great Jayson Nix a 3rd string at SS.

1) Frankie Cervelli is the starting catcher, Romine at AAA will be up before the season ends, Stewart will be gone. The idea to get payroll down is to promote from within not go after over priced free agents like Martin looking for too many years, too much money, the guy can't hit.

Like the Sox are doing with Middlebrooks and Bradly. Cervelli has been having a great spring.

How you get your payroll down, promote from within when the kids are ready that's the proper way to rebuild. Not signing on more long term contracts of has-beens.

2) Soriano opted out of his 3 year contract (thank god) he was here for 2 years. The first year (2011) injured most of the season he only pitched 39 innings with a 4.12 era, certainly not worth 11 million dollars, and as a set-up.

He opted out so he could sign a 28 M two year deal with a third option years for the NATS.

So the Yankees were supposed to extend this clown for a 4th year for 14 M and another option year??? After he opted out?? You must be insane.

For the two years the Yankees gave Soriano 21 million dollars they only gave 2 million dollars to Robertson who in return gave them more innings and a better ERA than Soriano for same period. And Robertson was injured last season.

The 14 million dollar closer Soriano's current ERA with the NATS is 6.00, great investment so far.

3) His name is Ibanez, shows what you know about the Yankees. Again, repeating what I wrote yesterday, if Ibanez had hung around he might have gotten more than he received from Seattle because he was in a pretty good bargaining postion but he didn't want to wait, he took the offer from Seattle early. The Yankees signed him a week before camp in 2012.

You are clueless about the Yankees.

You come here with all these grand theories when dissected are worthless drivel.

Stick to what you know, whatever that is, I havn't seen it here.

"Romine will be up"

Like I haven't heard that before.

Not unlike Ryan Lavarnway.

The difference is I never plugged Lavarnway or any other prospect as the next coming of the lord.

Your guilty of that on an on-going basis.

What no response to my comparison of Montero to Swisher.

You said Swish can't hit. I pointed out they both are hitting a buck 82.

You really need to cover all bases before sticking your neck out as far as you do.

Schooled yet again Pop's.

Such an desperate idiot. Wasn't directed at you, was an analogy. Most young catchers like Romine and LaVarnway need some time to develope their skills. As Posada did.

I have never said that Romine was anything more than a decent glove behind the plate.

Whether or not he can hit MLB remains to be seen but he deserves a shot and certainly over Chris Stewart who is a stiff.

All you've said for 2 solid years is that Montero can't catch and now that he is the starting catcher for the Mariners you revert to that he can't hit.

Swisher will get his 30 homeruns this season because everytime he goes to the plate he's looking for something to pull.

Why his numbers suck in the post season because he faces good pitchers who seldom give him what he is looking for.

Swisher to me was always a 4th outfielder or a back-up as a firstman certainly not worth the money Cleveland gave him. He's a hotdog in rf.

Montero's bat will heat up with the weather.

"Montero can't catch"

Been saying that since the first time I saw him behind the plate.

An evaluation shared by many in the know.

"revert he (Montero) can't hit"

Early on I thought he might be a good hitter.

After a full season and start he has this year that is in question.

"Montero's bat will heat up with the weather"

Like you haven't said that before.

Must have been extreme cold all of last year hey Pop's.

Reminds me of what you were saying about Austin Jackson when he was working his way up through the Yankee farm system.

Exact same thing, he couldn't hit.

Anyone who follows your tripe will see the same theme year after year, the Yankee farm system provides no talent, they need to go out into the free agent market to sustain.

Austin Jackson can't hit, Montero can't hit or catch, Robertson can't close, Nunez can't field, none of the catchers in the organization will cut it.

"the yankees farm system provides no talent"

When was the last time the yankee farm system put a positional player who starts on their 25 man roster?

I think you have to go back 6 years for Cano.

That pretty much sums up your farm system.

You know the one you keep blowing the horn over. 

BTW, don't see much relief in site.

Which explains why they went out and signed players no one else wanted.

Brett Gardner, Frankie Cervelli, Cano.

Nunez filling in for another home grown Jeter.

Then you have people who came up through the farm system and were traded, Brandon Laird starting at third for Houston, Montero Catching for Seattle, Austin Jackson in CF for the Indians and Melky Cabrera in Toronto.

And a number of pitchers in house and traded.

2 catchers starting for 2 different major league clubs within 2 years up from the farm.

Most everyone here has an intense dislike for the Yankees but why you garner no support from anyone else is because you are not fair or objective in your opinions, your hate for the Yankees trumps all and it's transparent as hell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Cano came up in the spring of 2005 with Chien Ming Wang that was 8 seasons ago.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

I set my DVR to record The Biggest Loser..but all it keeps recording are New York Yankees Games.

Hey we're at .500 :-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Good one!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

TWM & HH

do we really need to quote the whole conversation

over & over with 3 foot posts,

how bout having your fun with shorter posts

thanks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

TWM & HH

do we really need to quote the whole conversation

over & over with 3 foot posts,

how bout having your fun with shorter posts

thanks

I did cut it short in my 8:29 post Zac.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Zac good to see and pike on the same page :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

"8 seasons ago"

It's been that long since the yanks promoted a postional player of significance.

Thanks for enhancing my argument.

Zac, I trust this post meets your approval.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I appreciate it HH

my finger was getting tired scrolling down the page

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

"8 seasons ago"

It's been that long since the yanks promoted a postional player of significance.

I can't believe how you come here to submit yourself to constant abuse.

And not smart enough to realize it.

Yeah one of the top players in all of baseball Cano.

Who btw was unheralded in the Yankee farm system.

They do have a 230 million dollar payroll don't you think it might be difficult for a rookie to crack?

And who would they have replaced?

Jeter, Arod or Tex?

Seattle obviously thought Montero was a significant player when they shipped Pineda to the Yankees and promoted Montero to starting catcher this season.

Of course you're much smarter than anyone in the Seattle front office.

2nd base was available they brought up Cano, RF was available they brought up Gardner, they had Melky in the outfield before he was traded. Posada retired they didn't resign Martin but promoted Cervelli.

They traded Coke and Jackson for their centerfielder Granderson.

They signed Tex for 1st.

Pitching, Chien Ming Wang, Aceves, Robertson, Coke, Tyler Clippard, Ian Kennedy, Phelps, Nova, Hughes, Chamberlain, Zac McAllister all came through the Yankee farm system in the past few years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

I appreciate it HH

my finger was getting tired scrolling down the page

My pleasure.

At the very least I can keep one yankee fan happy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

"8 seasons ago"

They do have a 230 million dollar payroll don't you think it might be difficult for a rookie to crack?

Jeter, Arod or Tex?

Seattle obviously thought Montero was a significant player when they shipped Pineda to the Yankees and promoted Montero to starting catcher this season.

2nd base was available they brought up Cano, RF was available they brought up Gardner, they had Melky in the outfield before he was traded. Posada retired they didn't resign Martin but promoted Cervelli.

They signed Tex for 1st.

Pitching, Chien Ming Wang, Aceves, Robertson, Coke, Tyler Clippard, Ian Kennedy, Phelps, Nova, Hughes, Chamberlain, Zac McAllister all came through the Yankee farm system in the past few years.

Way too many words to come to my conclusion that Cano has been the only significant addition to the starting 8 in 8 years.

Sorry Zac. Appears TWM lost your memo.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

"8 seasons ago"

Jeter, Arod or Tex?

They signed Tex for 1st.

The fact that Cano was a surprise is actually more evidence that the Yankee farm system is poorly managed.   

Montero looked great at age 19, and has looked a little worse every year.  At 23, it's still too early to give up on him, but for a guy who was in the prospect company of Trout and Harper, he has to be incredibly disappointing thus far.  Of course, if Seattle knew about Pineda's arm troubles, it makes a lot more sense.

Aceves was signed as an amateur free agent at the age of 25, so he's not a product of the farm system.  The rest of your list is a who's that of mediocre ball-players.

Jackson I think is a legitimate very good player - he might need one more good year to negate his sophomore slump, but I think it's fair to put that feather in your cap.

Still, the track record overall is atrocious, and HH is right that there is nothing left to fill the coffers, and Steinbrenner Jrs do not seem as willing as their old man to go out and buy a new team.  Either Magic Johnson takes an interest in the Yankees, or things are going to be very ugly(er) in the Bronx for the next few years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

"8 seasons ago"

Jeter, Arod or Tex?

They signed Tex for 1st.

The fact that Cano was a surprise is actually more evidence that the Yankee farm system is poorly managed.   

Montero looked great at age 19, and has looked a little worse every year.  At 23, it's still too early to give up on him, but for a guy who was in the prospect company of Trout and Harper, he has to be incredibly disappointing thus far.  Of course, if Seattle knew about Pineda's arm troubles, it makes a lot more sense.

Aceves was signed as an amateur free agent at the age of 25, so he's not a product of the farm system.  The rest of your list is a who's that of mediocre ball-players.

Jackson I think is a legitimate very good player - he might need one more good year to negate his sophomore slump, but I think it's fair to put that feather in your cap.

Still, the track record overall is atrocious, and HH is right that there is nothing left to fill the coffers, and Steinbrenner Jrs do not seem as willing as their old man to go out and buy a new team.  Either Magic Johnson takes an interest in the Yankees, or things are going to be very ugly(er) in the Bronx for the next few years.

I have to agree to some of what you've said and add that George Steinbrenner let his farm system go to hell, he preferred the FA route signing Brosious trading Mike Lowell type deals.

It has not come back until recent years since Damon Oppenheim and Cashman were given control.

That the Yankees have had any good prospects considering they have been in the play-offs every season since 1995 except for 2008, 16 of 17 years and from where they have drafted because of it is pretty miraculous.

Tampa has had better picks and prospects but not the record of success or 5 WS championships.

The Yankees as an organization over that time have been the most successful franchise in baseball despite what the farm system has produced over the same period. GS took a different route but was still more successful than any other owner.

You can either win or have great picks every year kind of difficult to do both.

However disagree Ian Kennedy isn't mediocre, neither is Brett Gardner or Tyler Clippard.

David Robertson is one of the best pen guys in all of baseball and has been for a few years.

He was injured last season but still put up decent numbers.

And like HH you are full of bs if you believe that the Yankees have nothing in farms, or it could be you didn't see the kids who pitched against Boston this spring.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Hey, neighbor.  You know I'm a Sox fan, but I've also always respected the Yankees.

The guy gets his pants wet doing this.  Just put him on ignore.  Reasoning would be impossible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees have been in the play-offs every season since 1995 except for 2008, it's not like they're getting great picks in the draft with that kind of success which no other team in baseball has had or even come close to.

They've had lousy picks compared to the teams in the same division because of their success on the field.

That's 16 of the last 17 years in the play-offs 5 WS Championships since 1995 to 2012.

What other team has a record like that? 

And the Yankees still compete with Tampa despite all those high draft picks down through the years that the Rays have gotten.

Bag headed Zac loves the big contract the Yankees gave to Mark Teixeira but then forgets that it was Trout who the Angels took with the compensation pick from the Yankees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

As a Yankee fan I like what the Red Sox are doing, I like how they dumped the wealthy malcontents for young players and the future.

That's how you rebuild with young players, get them  under cost control and go after FAs only as complimentary pieces to what you have from within your system.

And not giving away the farm like Hank did to ARod.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Yankee game could be rained out. Could be a doubleheader tomorrow with the same type forcast.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Hey, neighbor.  You know I'm a Sox fan, but I've also always respected the Yankees.

The guy gets his pants wet doing this.  Just put him on ignore.  Reasoning would be impossible.

Amp,

Just a nuisance. Has had a dislike for me from another site where I confronted him for bullying one of the female posters, who was a very nice person.

He stalks me wherever I post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Amp,

Just a nuisance. Has had a dislike for me from another site where I confronted him for bullying one of the female posters, who was a very nice person.

He stalks me wherever I post.

Really old man.

My beef with you is entirely centered around your evaluation of players coming thru the yankee farm system.

On that subject you display total ignorance.

Don't know who's worse. You or the ny press.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Since they have a sports world record 27 WCs, and an impressive recent record (as outlined above by TWM), it sounds like you're living in Bizarro World.

If you're talking about THIS yr, you very well maybe right ....  the key word is maybe.

Regardless, I doubt they shall have a 48 year low in Wins like U Know Who had in 2012.

Could you have your teams mixed up?