Yanks/Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Yanks/Sox

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are.

For those of who post here but don't follow the game very closely.

The Dodgers could end the Yankees' 14-year streak as baseball's biggest spender

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2012/12/12/los-angeles-dodgers-new-york-yankees-2013-major-league-baseball-payroll/1765749/

"catch up on who the biggest spenders in baseball are"

That was the yankees of the past.

The new look yankees are cutting salaries of players like Mo and this past winter were not active in the FA market. In fact they let many of their own walk because they refused to spend money.

Sorry but your yanks no longer compete as they once did.

Please open your eyes and take a long hard look at the product they are putting on the field while hoping the AARP crew on the DL can somehow get well and younger.

I've played with you long enough.

I do agree that Hal is different from his father in regards to restraint in spending.

But not for any of the silly examples that you continually provide here, which I punch holes in whenever you repeat them.

Where I think the Yankees under Hal have fallen down down in recent years where his father was much more agressive were the pursuit of free agents 

The Yankees luke warm pursuit of Yu Darvish or better yet handing Yoenis Cespedes over to the Oakland which George never would have stood for.

And GS would have been unapologetic to the rest of the teams in baseball and the media for whatever the cost was in signing them.

Everyone knew Cespedes was the real deal, and Darvish was rated pretty high by all of the oganizations too, but Hal's Yankees looked the other way.

Less so Chapman, there were questions there, but the Yankees didn't blink an eye for him either.

This is where the Yankees have changed not the goofy examples that you harp on.

But bleat away it's entertaining

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2012/12/12/los-angeles-dodgers-new-york-yankees-2013-major-league-baseball-payroll/1765749/

The new look yankees are cutting salaries of players like Mo and this past winter were not active in the FA market. In fact they let many of their own walk because they refused to spend money.

Please open your eyes and take a long hard look at the product they are putting on the field while hoping the AARP crew on the DL can somehow get well and younger.

I do agree that Hal is different from his father in regards to restraint in spending.

But not for any of the silly examples that you continually provide here, which I punch holes in whenever you repeat them.

Where I think the Yankees under Hal have fallen down down in recent years where his father was much more agressive were the pursuit of free agents 

The Yankees luke warm pursuit of Yu Darvish or better yet handing Yoenis Cespedes over to the Oakland which George never would have stood for.

And GS would have been unapologetic to the rest of the teams in baseball and the media for whatever the cost was in signing them.

Everyone knew Cespedes was the real deal, and Darvish was rated pretty high by all of the oganizations too, but Hal's Yankees looked the other way.

Less so Chapman, there were questions there, but the Yankees didn't blink an eye for him either.

Warm day here so it's time to play in the ocean. Just a quick one. All your examples of coupon clipping Hal keeping his money in the bank were valid points. No one can deny George his flare for winning. Hal, not so much. As for my examples of Hal being cheap. They too are valid. Don't care what Martin is currently hitting but no one with half a brain would rather have the two current catcher's over the guy you called Curtis Martin. I know. Simple senior moment. You can espect more in the days ahead. Another is letting last years closer walk. How about Abanez? He clearly is better than what sits on the yanks bench. Must be pretty painful for you watching the once proud team falling over themselves on the field. Comic relief at it's best. Best you can hope for today is CC throws a perfect game and it doesn't go more than 9 innings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Warm day here so it's time to play in the ocean. Just a quick one. All your examples of coupon clipping Hal keeping his money in the bank were valid points. No one can deny George his flare for winning. Hal, not so much. As for my examples of Hal being cheap. They too are valid. Don't care what Martin is currently hitting but no one with half a brain would rather have the two current catcher's over the guy you called Curtis Martin. I know. Simple senior moment. You can espect more in the days ahead. Another is letting last years closer walk. How about Abanez? He clearly is better than what sits on the yanks bench. Must be pretty painful for you watching the once proud team falling over themselves on the field. Comic relief at it's best. Best you can hope for today is CC throws a perfect game and it doesn't go more than 9 innings.

Just a quick one.

More of the same nonsense.

Yankees are playing the great Jayson Nix a 3rd string at SS.

1) Frankie Cervelli is the starting catcher, Romine at AAA will be up before the season ends, Stewart will be gone. The idea to get payroll down is to promote from within not go after over priced free agents like Martin looking for too many years, too much money, the guy can't hit.

Like the Sox are doing with Middlebrooks and Bradly. Cervelli has been having a great spring.

How you get your payroll down, promote from within when the kids are ready that's the proper way to rebuild. Not signing on more long term contracts of has-beens.

2) Soriano opted out of his 3 year contract (thank god) he was here for 2 years. The first year (2011) injured most of the season he only pitched 39 innings with a 4.12 era, certainly not worth 11 million dollars, and as a set-up.

He opted out so he could sign a 28 M two year deal with a third option years for the NATS.

So the Yankees were supposed to extend this clown for a 4th year for 14 M and another option year??? After he opted out?? You must be insane.

For the two years the Yankees gave Soriano 21 million dollars they only gave 2 million dollars to Robertson who in return gave them more innings and a better ERA than Soriano for same period. And Robertson was injured last season.

The 14 million dollar closer Soriano's current ERA with the NATS is 6.00, great investment so far.

3) His name is Ibanez, shows what you know about the Yankees. Again, repeating what I wrote yesterday, if Ibanez had hung around he might have gotten more than he received from Seattle because he was in a pretty good bargaining postion but he didn't want to wait, he took the offer from Seattle early. The Yankees signed him a week before camp in 2012.

You are clueless about the Yankees.

You come here with all these grand theories when dissected are worthless drivel.

Stick to what you know, whatever that is, I havn't seen it here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The numbers don't lie.

Rafael Soriano: 2 years @ 21 million (2011-12)

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriara01.shtml

David Robertson: 2 years @ 2 million (2011-12)

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/roberda08.shtml

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

New York Yankees: Francisco Cervelli Has Impressed as Starting Catcher

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1596093-with-chance-to-win-starting-job-francisco-cervelli-has-impressed-for-yankees

Swisher was something like 0-5 today and has not hit well, Martin is yet to get a hit on the season, and Soriano already has a blown save and an ERA of 6.00.

Maybe you should rest for awhile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Lester and Sabathia are the only aces that have pitched well today.

Price, Strasburg, Verlander, Dickey, etc. got hammered today. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

The numbers don't lie.

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

"numbers don't lie"

Maybe they do.

Explain why when Mo went down they opted for Soriano over Robertson to close games.

You can't or better won't.

I will. Robertson couldn't handle the job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Just a quick one.

1) Frankie Cervelli is the starting catcher, Romine at AAA will be up before the season ends, Stewart will be gone. The idea to get payroll down is to promote from within not go after over priced free agents like Martin looking for too many years, too much money, the guy can't hit.

Like the Sox are doing with Middlebrooks and Bradly. Cervelli has been having a great spring.

How you get your payroll down, promote from within when the kids are ready that's the proper way to rebuild. Not signing on more long term contracts of has-beens.

2) Soriano opted out of his 3 year contract (thank god) he was here for 2 years. The first year (2011) injured most of the season he only pitched 39 innings with a 4.12 era, certainly not worth 11 million dollars, and as a set-up.

He opted out so he could sign a 28 M two year deal with a third option years for the NATS.

So the Yankees were supposed to extend this clown for a 4th year for 14 M and another option year??? After he opted out?? You must be insane.

For the two years the Yankees gave Soriano 21 million dollars they only gave 2 million dollars to Robertson who in return gave them more innings and a better ERA than Soriano for same period. And Robertson was injured last season.

The 14 million dollar closer Soriano's current ERA with the NATS is 6.00, great investment so far.

3) His name is Ibanez, shows what you know about the Yankees. Again, repeating what I wrote yesterday, if Ibanez had hung around he might have gotten more than he received from Seattle because he was in a pretty good bargaining postion but he didn't want to wait, he took the offer from Seattle early. The Yankees signed him a week before camp in 2012.

You come here with all these grand theories when dissected are worthless drivel.

"Romine will be up"

Like I haven't heard that before.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

New York Yankees: Francisco Cervelli Has Impressed as Starting Catcher

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1596093-with-chance-to-win-starting-job-francisco-cervelli-has-impressed-for-yankees

Swisher was something like 0-5 today and has not hit well, Martin is yet to get a hit on the season, and Soriano already has a blown save and an ERA of 6.00.

Maybe you should rest for awhile.

"Swisher has not hit well"

Brings Montero to mind hey Pop's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jimdavis' comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to jimdavis's comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Sox once again able to ride an early big inning to the W"

And take advantage of suspect Yankee pitching while riding solid pitching of their own...

also true...

Hey Jete:

I hope you are well.  The negativity led me to other outlets.  I'll be around from time to time.  How has the board been?

hey JD!!, i'm good thanks..hope you are as well..good to see you back..well as a whole i think the board's been ok, tho i'm starting to really get annoyed by the huge amount of removed posts in the threads..hard to take when you get to a good discussion that going on and one post is followed by 5-6 removed posts..

Case in point, Jete.  there is already a "bench Salty" thread.  The team is 3-1 and it is early April! Sigh!

I always thought your "This board is full of whiners and crybabies" thread was one of the best threads ever. And I'm being completely serious.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The numbers don't lie.

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

"numbers don't lie"

Maybe they do.

Explain why when Mo went down they opted for Soriano over Robertson to close games.

Easy.

Robertson was injured last season too. I believe it was a nagging rib injury, he really didn't get it back together until late.

Robertson pitched brilliantly yesterday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Lester and Sabathia are the only aces that have pitched well today.

Price, Strasburg, Verlander, Dickey, etc. got hammered today. 

Dickey must be pleasing the Toronto fans, his second lemon for them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

Not unlike Ryan Lavarnway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

The numbers don't lie.

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

"numbers don't lie"

Maybe they do.

Easy.

Robertson was injured last season too. I believe it was a nagging rib injury, he really didn't get it back together until late.

Nice try Pop's.

After Mo went down Robertson was handed the closer role and bombed.

Soriano stepped into the role ( pitched great ) while Robertson went back to his set-up role.

He pitched well yesterday in his set-up role.

Not every set-up pitcher has the stones to close. Just ask Bard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

The difference is I never plugged Lavarnway or any other prospect as the next coming of the lord.

Your guilty of that on an on-going basis.

What no response to my comparison of Montero to Swisher.

You said Swish can't hit. I pointed out they both are hitting a buck 82.

You really need to cover all bases before sticking your neck out as far as you do.

Schooled yet again Pop's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

The difference is I never plugged Lavarnway or any other prospect as the next coming of the lord.

You really need to cover all bases before sticking your neck out as far as you do.

Such an desperate idiot. Wasn't directed at you, was an analogy. Most young catchers like Romine and LaVarnway need some time to develope their skills. As Posada did.

I have never said that Romine was anything more than a decent glove behind the plate.

Whether or not he can hit MLB remains to be seen but he deserves a shot and certainly over Chris Stewart who is a stiff.

All you've said for 2 solid years is that Montero can't catch and now that he is the starting catcher for the Mariners you revert to that he can't hit.

Swisher will get his 30 homeruns this season because everytime he goes to the plate he's looking for something to pull.

Why his numbers suck in the post season because he faces good pitchers who seldom give him what he is looking for.

Swisher to me was always a 4th outfielder or a back-up as a firstman certainly not worth the money Cleveland gave him. He's a hotdog in rf.

Montero's bat will heat up with the weather.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The numbers don't lie.

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

"numbers don't lie"

Maybe they do.

Easy.

Nice try Pop's.

Soriano stepped into the role ( pitched great ) while Robertson went back to his set-up role.

This is just how stupid you are.

Comparing Bard to Robertson.

Bard in AA ball?

The last season Robertson was healthy 2011 he had 100 ks in 66 innings.

And a 1.08 ERA.

When has Bard ever put up numbers like that?

Or Raphael Soriano?

Never!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

The numbers don't lie.

ERA 3.19, 106 innings.

ERA 1.87, 126.4 innings.

"numbers don't lie"

Maybe they do.

Easy.

Nice try Pop's.

This is just how stupid you are.

Comparing Bard to Robertson.

Bard in AA ball?

The last season Robertson was healthy 2011 he had 100 ks in 66 innings.

And a 1.08 ERA.

When has Bard ever put up numbers like that?

Or Raphael Soriano?

Never!

Again for the slow among us.

It takes stones to be a closer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

Such an desperate idiot. Wasn't directed at you, was an analogy. Most young catchers like Romine and LaVarnway need some time to develope their skills. As Posada did.

I have never said that Romine was anything more than a decent glove behind the plate.

Whether or not he can hit MLB remains to be seen but he deserves a shot and certainly over Chris Stewart who is a stiff.

All you've said for 2 solid years is that Montero can't catch and now that he is the starting catcher for the Mariners you revert to that he can't hit.

Swisher will get his 30 homeruns this season because everytime he goes to the plate he's looking for something to pull.

Why his numbers suck in the post season because he faces good pitchers who seldom give him what he is looking for.

Swisher to me was always a 4th outfielder or a back-up as a firstman certainly not worth the money Cleveland gave him. He's a hotdog in rf.

"Montero can't catch"

Been saying that since the first time I saw him behind the plate.

An evaluation shared by many in the know.

"revert he (Montero) can't hit"

Early on I thought he might be a good hitter.

After a full season and start he has this year that is in question.

"Montero's bat will heat up with the weather"

Like you haven't said that before.

Must have been extreme cold all of last year hey Pop's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

"Montero can't catch"

Reminds me of what you were saying about Austin Jackson when he was working his way up through the Yankee farm system.

Exact same thing, he couldn't hit.

Anyone who follows your tripe will see the same theme year after year, the Yankee farm system provides no talent, they need to go out into the free agent market to sustain.

Austin Jackson can't hit, Montero can't hit or catch, Robertson can't close, Nunez can't field, none of the catchers in the organization will cut it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Jete02's OP is almost prescient in thinking either team was worth a mention this season.  The Yankees are missing a bunch of big bats to injuries, and the Sox are rebuilding.  As of April 9, the Yankees are a respectable 3-4, all things considered, and the Sox are 5-2.  Who would have thunk it?  Who would have thunk 40 year old Pettitte would have shut our guys down for 8 innings and Sabathia do the same to the Tigers in their park?  Who would have thunk our pitching would be this good (after 7 games) or the hitting this timely? 

We are of course still in the first inning (162 games divided by 9 means 18-game "innings") of this new season, but it's always nice to get an early lead. 

The Sox's dilemma is having Bradley and especially Iglesias making it difficult to make room for Ortiz (actually, Gomes and Nava in LF) and Drew.  One unusual factoid about the season to date is that the Sox lineup is righty-heavy, but has struggled for the most part against lefty starters.  Yesterday Farrell had 8 righties (two switch hitters) in the lineup, and they still struggled before the unlikely Nava had that 3-run blast in the bottom of the 7th.  I say unusual because Drew and Ortiz are both lefty bats which may or may not help against those lefty starters. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Jete02's OP is almost prescient in thinking either team was worth a mention this season.  The Yankees are missing a bunch of big bats to injuries, and the Sox are rebuilding.  As of April 9, the Yankees are a respectable 3-4, all things considered, and the Sox are 5-2.  Who would have thunk it?  Who would have thunk 40 year old Pettitte would have shut our guys down for 8 innings and Sabathia do the same to the Tigers in their park?  Who would have thunk our pitching would be this good (after 7 games) or the hitting this timely? 

We are of course still in the first inning (162 games divided by 9 means 18-game "innings") of this new season, but it's always nice to get an early lead. 

The Sox's dilemma is having Bradley and especially Iglesias making it difficult to make room for Ortiz (actually, Gomes and Nava in LF) and Drew.  One unusual factoid about the season to date is that the Sox lineup is righty-heavy, but has struggled for the most part against lefty starters.  Yesterday Farrell had 8 righties (two switch hitters) in the lineup, and they still struggled before the unlikely Nava had that 3-run blast in the bottom of the 7th.  I say unusual because Drew and Ortiz are both lefty bats which may or may not help against those lefty starters. 

A good dilemma to have, IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Sox have to be commended with the way they unloaded the overpaid malcontents Beckett and Crawford.

Picked up some nice young talent and are on the way to rebuilding with youngsters like Bradley and Middlebrooks.

And the Yankees are watching.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Just a quick one.

"Romine will be up"

"Montero can't catch"

Reminds me of what you were saying about Austin Jackson when he was working his way up through the Yankee farm system.

Exact same thing, he couldn't hit.

Anyone who follows your tripe will see the same theme year after year, the Yankee farm system provides no talent, they need to go out into the free agent market to sustain.

Austin Jackson can't hit, Montero can't hit or catch, Robertson can't close, Nunez can't field, none of the catchers in the organization will cut it.

"the yankees farm system provides no talent"

When was the last time the yankee farm system put a positional player who starts on their 25 man roster?

I think you have to go back 6 years for Cano.

That pretty much sums up your farm system.

You know the one you keep blowing the horn over. 

BTW, don't see much relief in site.

Which explains why they went out and signed players no one else wanted.

Sections
Shortcuts