Yanks winning the battle for CT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Yanks winning the battle for CT

While New England has always been considered a stronghold for Red Sox Nation, the state of Connecticut has been a battleground for team supremacy between the Yankees and Red Sox. According to the latest annual Quinnipiac University poll, it appears the Yankees are winning.

“Forty-three percent of baseball fans surveyed in the poll, which has an error margin of 2.6 percentage points, support the Yankees. Thirty-eight percent said they are fans of the Sox.”

You can take this poll for what it’s worth, but the sub-3% margin of error shows that it’s probably pretty accurate. Perhaps of greatest interest to me was that 7% of those polled indicated they preferred the Mets. Funny, I didn’t know so many Connecticut residents were masochists. I guess you learn something new every day.

Courtesy of 791 over at IIATMS.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Yanks winning the battle for CT

oh, those kooky Met fans(sorry Dad)...Tongue out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

well, a lot of connecticut is just a suburb of the rotten apple anyways.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Yanks winning the battle for CT:
    [QUOTE]oh, those kooky Met fans(sorry Dad)...

Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

While I'm more concerned with winning the battle for the ALE, I thought the mets part was funny so I had to post it. 

Do you know what mets stands for?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"do you know what mets stand for?"---babe

i'll take a guess; they stand for high payrolls and low results.

others say it stands for METROPOLITANS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks winning the battle for CT : While I'm more concerned with winning the battle for the ALE, I thought the mets part was funny so I had to post it.  Do you know what mets stands for?
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]

to answer you question seriously? metropolitians I think.

glad to see you take off that sentence about punching a boston fan in the face babe.

I have a cousin that lives in New York and he told me that most die hard yankee fans resent outsiders like those in NJ or Conn wearing yankee caps. isn't that silly babe?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Yeah, the Mets number isn't surprising.  Some people just get bored rooting for a professional team ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I live in CT when not at NU, Quinnipiac University is in the Southern half of CT, close to New Haven. The New Haven area has always been predominately pro-Yankee, this new poll is actually much closer than I'd expect for the area (unforunately I live 10 minutes from New Haven).

If this same poll was to be taken near say, Hartford, the results would be much different. The northern half of the state is much closer to Boston and as such has more Sox fans in it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

who cares?  it's not a battle.  hartford is 1/2 and 1/2 in my experience.  southern CT is more Yankee fans. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Hammah, what's doin bud?...you guys gotta drop a couple soon, or else my boss won't be able to get her head through the door...LOL!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks winning the battle for CT : to answer you question seriously? metropolitians I think. glad to see you take off that sentence about punching a boston fan in the face babe. I have a cousin that lives in New York and he told me that most die hard yankee fans resent outsiders like those in NJ or Conn wearing yankee caps. isn't that silly babe?

Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Nope...mets stands for My Entire Team Suks.......

I've never found people from Conn to be annoying.  dirty jersey on the other hand....man they should build a wall around that state and fill it with water.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

posted at 6/17/2011 12:05 PM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c&plckUserId=2604c3c63c96eedd7b70408ba89ebd5c">
    First: 8/22/2006
    Last: 6/17/2011
    Hammah, what's doin bud?...you guys gotta drop a couple soon, or else my boss won't be able to get her head through the door...LOL!!
     American League East...the roughest neighborhood in America

lol! doing great jetes!!! seems to me that I asked you to do me a favor the other night and you came back and said "no can do bud"......and I'm so sorry that your boss won't be able to get her head through the door! ya know what really surprises me jetes? the fact that we just got home from an 8-1 road trip and you guys are still only behind us by a game and a half. unbelievable!

tell your boss that hammah sendS her a big kiss and a hug and sez GO RED SOX!Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Yanks winning the battle for CT:
    [QUOTE]While New England has always been considered a stronghold for Red Sox Nation, the state of Connecticut has been a battleground for team supremacy between the Yankees and Red Sox. According to the latest annual Quinnipiac University poll, it appears the Yankees are winning. “Forty-three percent of baseball fans surveyed in the poll, which has an error margin of 2.6 percentage points, support the Yankees. Thirty-eight percent said they are fans of the Sox.” You can take this poll for what it’s worth, but the sub-3% margin of error shows that it’s probably pretty accurate. Perhaps of greatest interest to me was that 7% of those polled indicated they preferred the Mets. Funny, I didn’t know so many Connecticut residents were masochists. I guess you learn something new every day. Courtesy of 791 over at IIATMS.com

So that's within the margin of error, right? It could be that NYY's figure is actually 40.4 while the Sox are actually 40.6.
    Not that I give a hoot, living a few states down.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Yanks winning the battle for CT : So that's within the margin of error, right? It could be that NYY's figure is actually 40.4 while the Sox are actually 40.6. Not that I give a hoot, living a few states down.

Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

LOL...like I said, I didn't post it about the battle for CT...just thought everyone would get a laugh about the mets part.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from plinny. Show plinny's posts

Connecticut is a front running appendage of New York. They may leave New England at their convenience. The states only redeeming quality is that they can claim Samuel Clemens as a former resident.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

"The Battle For Connecticut"

I picture roving bands of warriors wearing golf shirts hanging out of the windows of mid-size sedans, waving hedge-trimmers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]"The Battle For Connecticut" I picture roving bands of warriors wearing golf shirts hanging out of the windows of mid-size sedans, waving hedge-trimmers.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space my friend, that is without a doubt one of the funniest lines you have ever posted..................rock on ya crazy muhhfugggah

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

There's a longstanding affinity between CT and NYC.  Benedict Arnold was a CT guy, and NYC was in British/loyalist hands for the entire American Revolution.  Boston, on the other hand, had no problem kicking the British out.  Thanks to Henry Knox, Boston was Washington's first real win as Commander of the Continental Army. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

There was a poll done by WTIC news in Connecticut a few years ago, and their poll showed similar results, however, it showed further that the breakdown in loyalties was more of an East-West kind of thing. A large majority of eastern CT citizens rooted for the Red Sox, while those in western CT rooted much more for the Yankees. That was one of the reasons cited that the Sox made a big push in Waterbury (western CT) a few years ago to build a base for Red Sox Nation to try to gain more followers in western Connecticut. As a professor at Southern CT Univ. in New Haven, most of my students are Yankees fans. When I was an adjunct in Waterbury, an even larger majority seemed to be Yankees fans, but when I taught in Groton, Ct, a large majority were Red Sox fans.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Connecticut is a front running appendage of New York. They may leave New England at their convenience. The states only redeeming quality is that they can claim Samuel Clemens as a former resident.
    Posted by plinny[/QUOTE]
    We're actually considered more part of the "Tri-State Area". Whatever.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings NUSoxFan

I live in CT when not at NU, Quinnipiac University is in the Southern half of CT, close to New Haven. The New Haven area has always been predominately pro-Yankee, this new poll is actually much closer than I'd expect for the area (unforunately I live 10 minutes from New Haven).

If this same poll was to be taken near say, Hartford, the results would be much different. The northern half of the state is much closer to Boston and as such has more Sox fans in it

not that it matters 

while I agree with your point about north & south

I think Quinnipiac deserves a little more respect

than that when it comes to polling

for a rinky dink school their political polls are used on national shows all the time

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Hey, Connecticut has had more than just Mark Twain. I give you another Samuel, Samuel Huntington. He was the first president of the United States, technically speaking, was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was Connecticut's third governor, and served as the first chief justice of CT's supreme court. He came from an extremely modest background as he was self-educated after a limited education and grew up very poor while his parents ran a small farm. He would also work on this farm while teaching himself jurisprudence while reading books at a library. He would turn this experience into a highly successful career working his way up starting as an apprentice to a cooper all the way up to the aforementioned ranks. He was the freaking man! He ended up controlling much of what is now Windham County in CT, and made Norwich and Sprague his personal playground (I'm exaggerating obviously) especially through the marriage connections of the Huntington, Lathrop, and Backus families in the late 1700s.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Yanks winning the battle for CT : LOL...like I said, I didn't post it about the battle for CT...just thought everyone would get a laugh about the mets part.

Oh, I know ... just being a wiseass. I figured you'd appreciate that! Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]greetings NUSoxF an I live in CT when not at NU, Quinnipiac University is in the Southern half of CT, close to New Haven. The New Haven area has always been predominately pro-Yankee, this new poll is actually much closer than I'd expect for the area (unforunately I live 10 minutes from New Haven). If this same poll was to be taken near say, Hartford, the results would be much different. The northern half of the state is much closer to Boston and as such has more Sox fans in it not that it matters  while I agree with your point about north & south  I think Quinnipiac deserves a little more respect   than that when it comes to polling for a rinky dink school their political polls are used on national shows all the time
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

If that was somehow an overall state poll, I wouldn't be too surprised, pretty close, leaning Yankees. Sounds just about right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

A good part of it is a matter of population density.  A large number of Connecticunts (men included, in spite of my vulgar choice to describe denizens of the Nutmeg State) live in the southwest portion of the state in the I-95 corridor between New Haven and New York City, andrewbitch notwithstanding.