Ying and yang of RS fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ying and yang of RS fans

Red Sox fans are the ying and yang of baseball. 

Some Fans hate the signing of players for what is looked at as B type players For too much $$$.

Some fans hate the signing of players for what is looked at A type players moneySome much $$$$

Some fans hate the signings of any player they think suks.

Some fans hate a trade of prospects.

Some fans hate a trade for a NL players.

Far too many fans hate anything the RS do if it does not meet their infinite wisdom of MLB players.

Far too many RS Fans actually believe they know more than the RS FO which has many talented people with many years at their positions. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Ying and yang of RS fans

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some Fans hate the signing of players for what is looked at as B type players For too much $$$.

Some fans hate the signing of players for what is looked at A type players moneySome much $$$$

Far too many fans hate anything the RS do if it does not meet their infinite wisdom of MLB players.

Far too many RS Fans actually believe they know more than the RS FO which has many talented people with many years at their positions. 

[/QUOTE]
    And there are fans like JimfromFlorida who just drink the Kool Aid and thinks everything is good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

And there are fans like JimfromFlorida who just drink the Kool Aid and thinks everything is good.

crybaby

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

YIN and yang. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

((((Far too many RS Fans actually believe they know more than the RS FO which has many talented people with many years at their positions. )))))

What has the talented Ben done?

• pushed for the Crawford signing which Bill James was against
    • traded Reddick for an injury prone closer
    • let Bard decide that he should start
    • signed two platoon OF (Gomes and Vic for $18m combined / year)
    • the Dodger dump was upper management initiated
    • 2 @ $3.1m for a back up catcher
    • of 2013 roster, injured and/or bad year in 2012: 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, DH, RF
    • his 2nd best move after Ross was the mental midget Aceves.

If you are going to rebuild, have the conviction to do it.  Don't go for the weazel move Mediocre Sox with a series of ifs all over the place.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

((((Far too many RS Fans actually believe they know more than the RS FO which has many talented people with many years at their positions. )))))

If you are going to rebuild, have the conviction to do it.  Don't go for the weazel move Mediocre Sox with a series of ifs all over the place.

[/QUOTE]

And what makes you think Bill James and upper management weren't involved in the Gomes and Victorino signings?  Pin everything you don't like on Ben, right?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said.

I've been saying all along wait until opening day then give your opinion of the job Ben has done.

Better yet wait until 50 games are played to see real results.

Then your voice will be an educated voice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Interesting that Victorino is now a platoon player when he has been a starting CF or RF for the last 7 years in MLB...but the expect talent evaluators here have designated him as a platoon player. These same experts are then advocating to sign Cody Ross.

These fans are so caught up with judging the acquisitions for the monies they are getting rather than just accepting them for the solid major league players that they are. Who cares that they're getting paid a better salary than YOU or I would have expected.

For the record people...ticket prices are not going down...and getting the players you want for your team without negotiating with other teams usually requires a bit of overpay. But some people wouldn't be satisifed no matter what they do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Yeah, curse Ben for not dumping those bums Pedey, Middlebrooks, and Papi!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, curse Ben for not dumping those bums Pedey, Middlebrooks, and Papi!

[/QUOTE]

There were options: rebuild by trading Lester and Ells and take the pick from Papi walking for players with team control left,  overpay for the decline phase of 2nd tier FAs coming off "down" years, or go heavy for big money FAs.

The rebuild would have taken courage, but it was the right move IMO.  

I'm not writing he should have dumped WM and Pedroia but they are part of a huge list of players    that given recent history are no locks to have a great 2013.

Signing a 1B and DH with recent injury problems adds to the ifs:

• will Pedroia stay healthy and bounce back
    • will WM come back healthy and not suffer sophomore jinx
    • will Iglesias hit
    • will Ells stay, stay healthy, and bounce back
    • will Victorino rebound after poor 2012 and hit enough for RF
    • will Lester rebound
    • will Bailey stay healthy
    • will Ellsbury show the promise of 2010
    • will Bard and Aceves face the mental challenge
    • will Lava shrug of his poor MLB start and develop as a catcher
    • will Gomes hit RHP (2012 .715), we know he can't field
    • who will play LF vs RHP
    • will Lackey ever regain form
    • can Dempster show his Texas stint was a fluke

Sure it could all fall into place, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE Interesting that Victorino is now a platoon player when he has been a starting CF or RF for the last 7 years in MLB...but the expect talent evaluators here have designated him as a platoon player. 

[/QUOTE]

OPS vs RHP (70% of PAs) Victorino

2012    .629

2011     .787

2010      .681

698 OPS from 2010-2012 against RHP. 

And what makes you think Bill James and upper management weren't involved in the Gomes and Victorino signings?  Pin everything you don't like on Ben, right?

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't we don't know.  What we do know is James wasn't involved much in 2010 or 2011 from Henry himself and James was right on Crawford and Ben was wrong.  Is it unfair, to point out what we know?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Thinking that you know more than the G.M. and/or manager is part of the fun of the whole fan experience.  It is our entitlement. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thinking that you know more than the G.M. and/or manager is part of the fun of the whole fan experience.  It is our entitlement. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey, we all want our entitlements right?  Thats why Obama was re-elected.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

That's a whole lot of hate.

Do you know what I hate?

Pizza with too much junk on it.

Yes, plain pizza is kind of boring, but why mess up a good thing with excess?....find a topping you like and order a pizza with one topping.

Problem with people today is too much choice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's a whole lot of hate.

Do you know what I hate?

Pizza with too much junk on it.

Yes, plain pizza is kind of boring, but why mess up a good thing with excess?....find a topping you like and order a pizza with one topping.

Problem with people today is too much choice.

[/QUOTE]

curmudgeon

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Funny that is not even close to who I am.  See if you ever followed anything I have said you'd know that. I believe trading CC and AGon and Beckett was a mistake. They have yet to fill any one of those players shoes. I believe CC had a bad year it happens but Gomes is no where near as good as CC. Napoli vs AGon not even close. Beckett vs. Dempster Josh had an off year and many say suked at the end of 2011 but fail to remember his sprained ankle that he tried to pitch with. Then last year he actually pitched better than Clay did the first half the season but did not get the same run support. If he had he would have had 12 wins at the AS break.

I have also stated not signing Paps would hurt this team for at least 5 years. There was no one who could replace his 35 to 40 saves per year. If he was here last year the RS would not have had 25 blown saves and a bunch of loses by the closers. It would have been a different year just having Paps here.

Now having said the above. I believe the RS have 4 starters who can win 15 games each in Clay, Jon, Lackey and Dempster. Why because they have the ability to. For those who hate Lackey remember he won 15 with a bad elbow and tried to pitch thru it in 2010. Having him pitch with a good elbow will be interesting and if other players are guidelines he will have a very good year.

If Bailey can perform to his abilities my comment on Paps will be wrong. However if he alone can cut the Blown Saves in half they will be near a 500 team just on that alone.

The biggest thing is that the team is not 12 runs on Monday and 2 runs on Tues and Wed and 15 on Thursday. That was part of their issue over the last year. Yeah they averaged a lot of runs per game  but it was not a consistent number.

I don't drink the kool aide. I also don't b@tch about what they do in the off season mainly because I know they know more than I do. And gee maybe like another Texas player who did not come here maybe Hamilton did not want to either.  See I know what I'd like but accept what I get since being upset and complaining does nothing for me and I'm sure they know more than I do.

BTW if they had been offered a great trade for Jake I'm positive they'd have taken it. Right now I bet all trades offered were not equal to what Jake's value is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And there are fans like ADG who no one in their right mind would believe was a Sox fan. Especially since some of your posts talk about "your" pitchers and "your" players. I've re-posted them before. It's clearly obvious you're not talking about your own team, that is if your 1,000 or so negative threads wouldn't do it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting that Victorino is now a platoon player when he has been a starting CF or RF for the last 7 years in MLB.

If under .700 vs one side of pitching is good enough to start for some teams, then that player will not platoon. The fact that SV fielded very well helped tip the balance vs some pictehrs perhaps, but if you think we'll have nobody better than .690 vs RHPs this summer, and SV should be that FT man, then you have lower hopes than I. I gotta think Nava or kalsih can hit .750+ vs RHPs, although Nava in RF scared the heebee jeebees out of me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting that Victorino is now a platoon player when he has been a starting CF or RF for the last 7 years in MLB.

If under .700 vs one side of pitching is good enough to start for some teams, then that player will not platoon. The fact that SV fielded very well helped tip the balance vs some pictehrs perhaps, but if you think we'll have nobody better than .690 vs RHPs this summer, and SV should be that FT man, then you have lower hopes than I. I gotta think Nava or kalsih can hit .750+ vs RHPs, although Nava in RF scared the heebee jeebees out of me.

[/QUOTE]

I still think there will be more additions. Offseason still has a couple months left.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts