Yoenis Cespedes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Yoenis Cespedes

Signed with Oakland for 4 years 36M...

Too bad Oakland has such a crappy pay roll, would love to see them succeed. This move seems pretty surprising, they'll have a hell of a time competing over the next few years with what they have. Didn't see this one coming at all, he almost seemed destined for Miami.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Re: Yoenis Cespedes

They need to give their fans at least a ray of hope and / or someone to encourage them to buy a ticket. Good for them.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In Response to Re: Yoenis Cespedes:
    Better Oakland than Boston.......
    Posted by davetheknave

Yeah I'd rather them extend Ells than sign another overpaid outfielder. With Crawford making 21m a year I'm kinda worried about whether or not they will dish out money to keep Ells, and I'm wondering how interested he is with staying.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Fun gamble.  With the looming move to San Jose and a potential stud like Yoenis in the fold, the A's will be a buzz club for a minute anyway.  Of course, if he turns out to be less than youtube-advertised ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

San Jose is only thirty-eight miles from Oakland and they would still be in the Giants market / television area? I guess that the Oakland environment cuts down on ballpark attendance. I read that many ballplayers refuse to sign with Oakland because of the unsafe environment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

San Jose is only thirty-eight miles from Oakland and they would still be in the Giants market / television area? I guess that the Oakland environment cuts down on ballpark attendance. I read that many ballplayers refuse to sign with Oakland because of the unsafe environment.
    Posted by LadyLake

Ohh, I was trying to figure out why they would relocate so close... Hope it works out for them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by LadyLake

Yeah, the area is a factor.  2 other factors weigh heavily as well:  1.  Oakland is close enough to SF that the Giants suck up much of the potential fan base, whereas SJ, while still retaining SF/Oakland base, is like a totally separate city/area, so there will be a new infux of fans for sure  2.  The Oakland Cooliseum is quite possible the worst stadium in the league (after the Trop).  A new stadium can be nothing but good, wherever it is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The A's seem really random.I'm not sure why he chose to play there.
    "Oh Yoenis,you got some splainin' to do"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from flatlive. Show flatlive's posts

From Bleacher Report:

The Oakland Athletics always keep their payroll near the bottom of the league and get their prospects through trades. Signing one long-term is not going to be in their plans.

Odds: Zero

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Amazing that we were interested in him and then nothing. Management is looking to reduce payroll on this team, you can see it from all the cheap question marks that they picked up this offseason aside from Melancen and Bailey who do have cheaper salaries. Larry Luccino is spaeking with forked tongue about increasing payroll. I will believe it when I see it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Oakland will trade him next year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Yoenis Cespedes:
    Signed with Oakland for 4 years 36M... Too bad Oakland has such a crappy pay roll, would love to see them succeed. This move seems pretty surprising, they'll have a hell of a time competing over the next few years with what they have. Didn't see this one coming at all, he almost seemed destined for Miami.
    Posted by Bisson1

Beane is a smart guy, it shows the trust the A's FO has in his baseball knowledge.  It will be interesting to see the impact he makes for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Posted by maxnsl

Great idea actually, sign a guy, no loss of draft picks, give him 8m for one year then pawn him off for more prospects.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Odd move.  First they trade off all their pitchers for future prospects, to win 3-4 years down the road.  then they sign a guy that will be gone 4 years down the road.  Not to mention that they traded for Reddicl and Taylor, and signed Cespedes and Crisp.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Sox dodged another bullet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pike2. Show Pike2's posts

In Response to Re: Yoenis Cespedes : Yeah, the area is a factor.  2 other factors weigh heavily as well:  1.  Oakland is close enough to SF that the Giants suck up much of the potential fan base, whereas SJ, while still retaining SF/Oakland base, is like a totally separate city/area, so there will be a new infux of fans for sure  2.  The Oakland Cooliseum is quite possible the worst stadium in the league (after the Trop).  A new stadium can be nothing but good, wherever it is.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

All great points once more from the Spaceman - as expected.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Posted by maxnsl

That was my thought as well.  Showcase him for a year and then take some offers.  Of course this strategy backfires completely is Cespedes doesn't have a good year but if he even produces decent numbers and shows flashes of the high ceiling we've heard about, 9 million a year is very marketable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

This is a big gamble for Beane and the boys in Oakland. I agree with a lot of you, in that, Oakland is looking for this guy to have a decent year and to flip him for prospects. 

The problem will be if Cespedes is more hype than phenom. If he is a bust they could be stuck with the contract. It would be excellent for Oakland if he ended batting like Alfonso Soriano (circa 2002) instead of Alfonso Soriano (circa 2011.)
    But there is no guarantee that is going to happen. This guy is far from proven and the Major Leagues are a big step up from Cuban ball, anyone can attest to that.

If it works out for them, great, but it's a gamble and it better work out, or Beane could be on the hotseat...  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Amazing that we were interested in him and then nothing. Management is looking to reduce payroll on this team, you can see it from all the cheap question marks that they picked up this offseason aside from Melancen and Bailey who do have cheaper salaries. Larry Luccino is spaeking with forked tongue about increasing payroll. I will believe it when I see it.
    Posted by AL34

I wouldnt call the Sox payroll cheap or even a reduction. The Sox, as are the Yankees making a conscientious decision to avoid the morally wrong luxury tax by all means. There is no need to debate why teams dont want to pay the tax, but the Sox don't. Still, having the payroll north of $175 mil is not cheap.
    I still prefer the cheap question marks such as Melancon and Bailey over the expensive question marks such as Bell, Wilson and Cespedes.
    Prefer to spend the big money on known commodities such as Agon, Ortiz, Ellsbury and Beckett.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I wonder what the signing means for Reddick? I assume Coco will play center and Cespedes will play right. A's do have some highly rated OF's ready to play...where does that leave JR?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

In Response to Re: Yoenis Cespedes : I wouldnt call the Sox payroll cheap or even a reduction. The Sox, as are the Yankees making a conscientious decision to avoid the morally wrong luxury tax by all means. There is no need to debate why teams dont want to pay the tax, but the Sox don't. Still, having the payroll north of $175 mil is not cheap. I still prefer the cheap question marks such as Melancon and Bailey over the expensive question marks such as Bell, Wilson and Cespedes. Prefer to spend the big money on known commodities such as Agon, Ortiz, Ellsbury and Beckett.
    Posted by rkarp

I just read in another thread a post by Moonslav where he itemized the payroll including the Papi final salary and it adds up to $176 mil which is just barely below the luxury tax threshhold.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Read that the A's see Cespedes as their CF with Crisp moving out of position to LF, Reddick going to RF, and Seth Smith as DH/4th OF.

Sections
Shortcuts