Yoenis Cespedes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yoenis Cespedes

My thoughts - do not fall in love with this man...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Yoenis Cespedes

Not sure anyone has.

We may end up being happy he just has one year under contract.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

My thoughts - gone by December.  I was really hoping he would get flipped for Mat Latos all day...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

By the way, I remember you responding to my call for a fire sale by saying you doubted we'd trade 3 or more players at the deadline. This must have blown you away!

What are your overall thoughts on today's moves? 

(I started a thread on an overview of this month's deals. I'd appreciate your input on that thread. Thanks.)

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I am surprised at how many.  I would guess guys like Alex Anthopolous were helping Ben man the phone, since he wasn't making any deals for his team anyway...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon loves to toot his own horn...

Cespedes, Craig, and Napoli are all more or less the same players.... and Craig in no uncertain circumstances will hold up physically at any other position than 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think Napoli and Craig are better than Cespedes with the bat.

But Craig does have some durability issues...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

After being so wrong last year and winter and admitting it over and over, I guess I did "toot" a little bit today. Once we dealt Peavy, I had a feeling the rest were all going to go. 2014 was written off and rightfully so.

I was a little surprised by the amount of focus on 2015 rather than 2016 and beyond, but it was a healthy mix of both. No big complaints from me, except I expected better for Lester.

I like how we are set up for 2015 and beyond, but a lot of work still remains before a final judgment is made. We should have over $60M to spend this winter and a stockpile of prospects to trade for 1-2 high impact players.

Don't stop now, Ben!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Sure, each has its own unique ability than the other.... but in general terms they all provide the same average punch.... they are all barely on the field for more than 130 games..... and on a good year might hit 25/90. Three #6 hitters, two of whom should never be asked to put too much physical pressure on their legs.

[/QUOTE]

Better than a single comp pick we'd have gotten had we made no deals.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great. I just saw video of him gunning down runners (my favorite play) and fell in love with him. And I always liked saying Cespedes when we played against him. I don't know why, but it's just fun. Cespedes Cespedes Cespedes. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

According to rotoworld, Oakland is the most negative ball park in baseball for hitters ( 86 park factor ) and Fenway is a 105 ( 5% better than average ). Couple that with Cespedes being the third most left field pull factor in the AL and his HR numbers and you are looking at a 30-35 HR guy and a .280 average. Cespedes is very possibly our most productive hitter next year. Consider all the fould ball territory in Oakland and look at his spray chart some time. There is little doubt he should be a hit according to the data. He also is not a disaster defensively. A little above average speed, great arm and probably about average in RF. This guy is a tremendous fit. I hope to God they extend him immediately.

And our biggest problem has been RH power. Power bats in general. Guys who drive in runs. Problem essentially solved with Craig and Cespedes..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to rotoworld, Oakland is the most negative ball park in baseball for hitters ( 86 park factor ) and Fenway is a 105 ( 5% better than average ). Couple that with Cespedes being the third most left field pull factor in the AL and his HR numbers and you are looking at a 30-35 HR guy and a .280 average. Cespedes is very possibly our most productive hitter next year. Consider all the fould ball territory in Oakland and look at his spray chart some time. There is little doubt he should be a hit according to the data. He also is not a disaster defensively. A little above average speed, great arm and probably about average in RF. This guy is a tremendous fit. I hope to God they extend him immediately.

And our biggest problem has been RH power. Power bats in general. Guys who drive in runs. Problem essentially solved with Craig and Cespedes..

[/QUOTE]

Careful with Cespedes' numbers...when you look at his splits, he has better number at home, in Oakland, than on the road. So before painting Oakland as such a bad hitter's ballpark, understand he put his best numbers up there.

Now, admittedly, the West is full of pitcher's parks. Even still, this isn't like Beltre coming from Seattle. Not on paper, at least. You could see in his numbers that Beltre would do well away from Seattle. Cespedes' numbers don't show that so strongly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great. I just saw video of him gunning down runners (my favorite play) and fell in love with him. And I always liked saying Cespedes when we played against him. I don't know why, but it's just fun. Cespedes Cespedes Cespedes. 

[/QUOTE]

If he ends up in RF, with JBJ in CF...that's a lot of artillery in the outfield...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thanks RedSoxProspects for shedding some positive thoughts on the day.

Cespedes is not the second coming but even if he adds a threat to the lineup it's better than Gomes and Nava--let's be truthful. With Craig and Cespy you have extended your batting order. Craig is signed long term for Vic numbers at worst. They can start Vic on the 15 day DL and then to the 60--we probably won't see him back  this season what with Sept. call ups.

Joe Kelly is a highly competitive kid as well. I'm anxiously optimistic about Ranaudo and then seeing RDLR and Webster. I honestly don't see Buch lasting the season; I hope I'm wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Trade Clay for a bag of bubble gum and bring up Owens!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ballpark factors tend to be vastly overrated.  The effect is real, but smaller than most think.

Look at Cespeds Home/Away splits....he's actually hit much better in the pitcher friendly Oakland park. 

Of course this doesn't mean he isn't going to come to Fenway and improve his numbers because I think he can.....but I wouldn't say it's a safe bet. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Trade Clay for a bag of bubble gum and bring up Owens!  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, then you have Kelly/Workman/RDLR/Webster/Ranaudo in the rotation and Owens can make his debut with Pawsox!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

My first thoughts after reading about the trade were that he doesn't exactly profile what the Sox look for in a hitter -- plate discipline, OBP.  And the more I think about it, if he can go to FA after next season why would he interest a team like the Marlins as part of a Stanton trade?  He'll command a big contract and despite his power potential he isn't a Stanton replacement.  OK, so he's Cuban -- but that doesn't mean the Marlins will fall all over themselves to acquire him or pay him what he could likely command.  Am I wrong here? 

He's certainly a major league player -- but he'll be 29 next year and a FA.  He has shown both great potential and a track record of not being a polished hitter.  He's fascinating but far from a sure thing either here or as a trade chip.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Oh S--t! I've already bought the ring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But seriously, shouldn't we, at least, get to observe them in a SOX uniform before we hate them. I mean, that's usually the modus operandi.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But seriously, shouldn't we, at least, get to observe them in a SOX uniform before we hate them. I mean, that's usually the modus operandi.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, true.

Now, if Lester pitches great in his first start for the A's, and Cespedes has a rough series vs. the Yanks, what's the over/under on the # of posts screaming bloody blue murder?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Fall in love with Cespedes, people. The guy will hit HR and will get better on OBP with Ortiz as a mentor...He will drive in RBI and Nava can be the 4th OF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

All this Cespedes talk about his shortcomings sort of reminds me of another guy named Beltre...Ben did damn well yesterday because he correctly concluded the team was done and the team needs to be reinvigorated with better players for future success...this was Step 1 - Step 2 is taking all these pieces and trading for a Stanton and signing a MaxS....I have hope for 2015

As always - 100% correct!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

When I lament about the Sox SP losses, make no mistake that I am dissing Yoenis or Craig because both healthy automatically add offense to the Sox and power. Might be fun to watch the Sox hit for a change. Lose 8-6, but hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cespedes, Craig, and Napoli are all more or less the same players.... and Craig in no uncertain circumstances will hold up physically at any other position than 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think Napoli and Craig are better than Cespedes with the bat.

But Craig does have some durability issues...

[/QUOTE]

That is insane. Cespedes while not an OBP guy like Napoli is the best right handed power the Sox have had since Manny.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

BoJoe, I have to agree.