Yoenis Cespedes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Yoenis Cespedes

Had Hillenbrand traded 40 hits for 40 walks, then the FO would have loved him...and that's my problem with OBP in itself. Hits count too, especially extra-base hits that drive people in or move people around the bases over walks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I think with no Draft Pick lost to sign him, he is going to be hard to resign if he hits Free Agency, especially if he has a good year and half in Boston. Sox have some thinking to do with him this Off-Season. They have one-third of a season, to see how he does, going into next, if they want to extend him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

If he is short-term, then the Lester deal was a giant joke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Exactly, all they did was extend a year to a different player, and position. If lost Sox get a Comp B pick, and year and half of Cespedes. It will be really stupid if he walks and Sox give up Prospects for Hamels this Off-Season.
    When all was needed was cash for Lester. Sox could have Offered Players to Beane for this guy in Off-Season, he was walking anyway from Oakland, Beane was never going to Offer him big bucks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Cespedes would be gone before that happens, IF it happens. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I got a feeling Sox will be finding Cespedes as a longterm guy. I think fans will fall in love with him (notin started that..:-) ) and his arm and his HR power. Manny quickly became a fan favorite with his production and Yoenis is not Manny, but a pretty damn good fix in the OF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, it's not a joke.

Do not view this as Lester versus Cespedes.  View it as:

1.  Losing Lester for a comp pick

2.  Losing Lester for a player who can help us be competitive next year, plus a comp pick.

3.  Losing Lester for prospects that might help us in 2016 and beyond  

Since I want to be competitive next year, I vote for #2.  And the Sox already have plenty of prospects and young players to keep them competitive in 2016 and beyond.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Also lets say you want to flip him for bigger fish Stanton or Tulo, Marlins and Colorado, he would not be a centerpiece in a Trade, knowing, he walks at end of 2015 and get No picks, because you cant offer him QO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Comp B pick is at END of 2nd round, about 70th or so. Not a big deal. Actually about where Lester was picked. So I'm wrong about not being a big deal, if you get the right pick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

my thoughts - do not fall in love with this man...

Quote:

If he Ces has the patience and willingness to take some instruction from Papi to improve his plate discipline we may be surprised and maybe at least have Papi's future replacement at DH.  There are much better bats out there and we certainly have the trade bait to land one if needed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Will Yoenis take instruction from Pele or Papi?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

My thoughts - do not fall in love with this man...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I know we should be cautious, Notin.  After the debacle with CC we ought to be cautious.  I was full on with the Crawford signing, being cheerleader and all.  But he was a fragile soul.  He went from Tampa, where the only two people who cared were his manager and a basketball announcer not to be named, baby, to the mad house that is our place of love, devotion, exquisite pleasure or pain.  Here everyone care if you wear the wrong whatever with your right whatever ... never mind how you play.

But I will confess a minor state of jealousy when the A's signed Yeonis and am glad we now get to see him in a Sox uni.  NOT at the price paid, meaning the loss of Lester.  But Lester wasn't going to sign.  Not because he wasn't willing but because the FO offered such a ridiculous package, IMO.  None of that matters now, since I don't have Dr. Who's Time Machine ....

So, I welcome Cespedes openly and hope his matching with Papi and (surprise) Craig is as powerful as I think it can be.  All of a sudden we have a bat or two more that pitchers have to be careful of.  HRs will not be minor or unexpected moments on the diamond.  We will expect them and opposing pitchers will try to avoid them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I got a feeling Sox will be finding Cespedes as a longterm guy. I think fans will fall in love with him (notin started that..:-) ) and his arm and his HR power. Manny quickly became a fan favorite with his production and Yoenis is not Manny, but a pretty damn good fix in the OF.

Tony Armas comes to mind, he reminds me of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I'm not sure Papi is a hitting instructor, but he can influence Cespedes to seek out instruction. Considering his OBP went up 40 points  after joining the Sox he's a good example of learning. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not sure Papi is a hitting instructor, but he can influence Cespedes to seek out instruction. Considering his OBP went up 40 points  after joining the Sox he's a good example of learning. 

[/QUOTE]

BINGO DAT!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Cespedes = papi II  - get use to it Notin! Latin stylin' for the next decade baby!

As always - 100% correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BINGO DAT!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Yeonis has already made the comment, via translator, that he is looking forward to the insights Papi can give him.  The table is set.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agreed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cespedes, Craig, Ortiz, and Napoli are all players who strike out 90+ times a year.... 

[/QUOTE]
    Craig has a decent SO to BB ratio for a bigger bat.  He only SO 100 times once with this season by far his worst ratio but even so has only a 2 to 1 ratio by average.  If he has a bad limb it would explain it, if he does and it mends he will be a very solid contributor offensively.  Papi has a very good SO to BB ratio for a big man especially in recent years and should help CES quite a bit.    Napoli is a different story, he definitely SO  lot but has a very solid OBP so none are all that bad for our lineup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

After watching him and reading about him perhaps some of the Sox power hitters might want to consult him.

He has made a rather remarkable adjustment to playing baseball in 2 + seasons  in America. Won two HR Derby's--66 reg. season HR's--229 RBI, .262 BA, .318 OBP and .470 Slg.%. Those aren't bad numbers over 2 + years.

This guy is a legitimate power bat that hasn't had as much as 1 AB in a Sox Uni. yet, let's let him breathe and get use to being in that dugout. 

Space is what he needs he can do the rest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Too late, MadMax, I already have him pegged as the Greatest Right-handed Hitting Slugger Not Known as Manny in Sox history. It's going to be tough to live up to that title. :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

moon loves to toot his own horn...

Cespedes, Craig, and Napoli are all more or less the same players.... and Craig in no uncertain circumstances will hold up physically at any other position than 1B.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think Napoli and Craig are better than Cespedes with the bat.

But Craig does have some durability issues...

[/QUOTE]

That is insane. Cespedes while not an OBP guy like Napoli is the best right handed power the Sox have had since Manny.

[/QUOTE]

Adrian Beltre?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

moon loves to toot his own horn...

Cespedes, Craig, and Napoli are all more or less the same players.... and Craig in no uncertain circumstances will hold up physically at any other position than 1B.

Actually, I think Napoli and Craig are better than Cespedes with the bat.

But Craig does have some durability issues...

[/QUOTE]

That is insane. Cespedes while not an OBP guy like Napoli is the best right handed power the Sox have had since Manny.

[/QUOTE]

Adrian Beltre?

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox could get Adrian back our lineup would look pretty nice notin.  3B hasn't been the same since Youk and Adrian's OBP's and defense out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sometimes I think we analyze things to death. Yes, we should not fall in love with Cespedes. But should we fall in love with minor league prospects instead ?  This guy is an All Star outfielder. The type of right handed slugger that we have always coveted. The type of right handed slugger that we have been missing. And he is an all around athlete to boot. I have no idea as to whether we will be able to re-sign Lester, but I think this was a surprisingly good return on the trade in any event. Good job by Ben C. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree totally, and only add this:  for baseball fans, Cespedes is a JOY to watch.  Not only is he needed, but he is going to make the Sox significantly more fun to watch.  The dude is an action hero.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].   That is a very good point. Of course , winning is the ultimate objective. But many forget that baseball is also entertainment. A part of show business in a way. This year the Sox have not only been a disappointing team, but they have very often been a boring team.  A team largely devoid of speed , power and excitement. Many of the more exciting moments have come from the pitching and defense. Not every fan is deeply into statistical analysis . People want to see an exciting , entertaining product. And they also want to win. Cespedes can help a lot in both of those objectives. As someone who was very critical of Ben's performance this off season, I think he did an outstanding job at the trade deadline. Even though we are hopelessly out of contention, we have become interesting, relevant and fun to watch again. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I'm no fan of Kirk Minihane, but the WEEI columnist makes some valid points about Yoenis Cespedes:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2014/08/03/was-not-path-red-sox-should-gone-down" rel="nofollow">http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2014/08/03/was-not-path-red-sox-should-gone-down

Sections
Shortcuts