Yoennis Cespedes in RF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Yoennis Cespedes in RF

It's one of my favorite times of year again, "Hot Stove" season, a time when many armchair GM's begin looking closely into how we would personally like to next seasons roster assembled. Personally, the more I think about it I would really love to see the Sox strongly pursue the Cuban kid Yoennis Cespedes for their righfield vacancy.

Naturally there may be some apprehension about shelling out free agent dollars for a guy that may or may not still need a little minor league seasoning, but in my opinion it just seems like there could be potential for great value there, not only in the short term but for the long as well. 

As we all know Fenway has one of the toughest righfields to play defensively in all of baseball, Cespedes presumably has CF type speed but still may be better suited for a corner spot in the majors. Still, range-wise he could cover some serious ground in Fenway's spacious RF, while also having a plus throwing arm. Offensively he offers that sorely needed pop from the right side of the plate, helping balance out the lineup a bit more. Personally, I'm far more tempted by Cespedes' 5 tool potential than I would be for someone like Cuddyer or Willingham (maybe even Beltran depending on the eventual salary comparisons).

If indeed it's true whats being reported, that Cespedes is seeking a deal similar to that of Aroldis Chapman (6 yrs/30 mil), I'd say that could potentially end up a bargain in coming years as the guy is still only 26 and seemingly entering what be his prime years physically. Regardless of his kooky internet workout video, I actually would at least feel a lil better about investing 30 million dollars in a young guy that appears obsessive about his fitness and conditioning, rather than overpaying for past production from dudes already in there lower 30's (like Cuddyer). 30 million, heck JD cost damn near half that last season alone. 

With Cespedes they could then package Kalish and/or Reddick with something else and maybe get another serviceable arm, keeping the other as depth behind Cespedes. Although if they did bring him in, they would almost certainly wanna bring back Papi for another 2 years. Not only for his production but to serve as a mentor to their young investment, giving the kid a highly respected latin player he can relate to as he transitions into big league life in the United States. 

In all honesty, all of this is more than likely a moot point anyhow because Cespedes will most likely be signed by either the Yankees or Marlins. If Cashman makes up his mind up that he really likes what he sees, then forget about it, the Yanks will outbid everyone (not to mention the whole allure of playing in NY, the Yankee mystique, etc). Either that or the new look Marlins who are increasing payroll and in on just about every big FA out there. If the dollars are all around equal, I could see the presence of Ozzie Guillen and Hanley Ramirez being factors. New ballpark, and Miami has the most sizeable Cuban population in America, if Cespedes pans out he could end up a huge draw for them, and I'm sure they realize it and will go hard for him. I guess we shouldnt count out our old pal Theo in Chicago as somewhat of a darkhorse...the Cubs are about to do their private workout with him, and you never know, it could possibly be one of Theo's splash moves. 

Anyway, just enjoy dreaming about the all the possibilities this time of year :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Yoennis Cespedes in RF

Interesting take, Hoff, and a good, thoughtful post.   I would have to say that Cespedes would certainly be a way to re-constitute BOS as a younger team.

Tho for major leage/FA dollars, as you say, it may be hard to justify some AAA time.  Best to see what he has in ST and then move him along.

The main obstacle, as I see it from your post, could be the dollars. Not the talent. Talent is there...the dollars may get in the way of the deal.

If the Sox could package a deal that makes economic sense, maybe backloading it so that he gets $4 mil in 2012 and then gets $0.5 mill more per year of the six years, with some incentives for plate appearances, RBI, etc., then the deal might make sense. it might even justify some AAA time early in 2012.

Not opposed to Cespedes, certainly, just wondering about the economics and how it fits into Cherington's avowed unwillingness to make any free agent splashes this off-season.

And besides, we now need a closer.

But i digress.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Is he really 26?
    Is he not on Cuban juice?
    Can he hit a curveball? Or a changeup? Slider?

As telling as a 20 min, slow-motion uppercut jack (not to mention the admiration and slow trot) video is, I need to know/see more before being interested.

I just got an idea, maybe we could see how many rings are inside of those tree trunk legs to get a real age identity on him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Thanks for the replies fellas. Titletown, haha fair points a good humor. While I cannot guarantee complete credibility with the following statement, I have read on a few occasions that birthdates and identites when it comes to Cuban players is consistently far more accurate than it is with most of their other latin american counterparts. I certainly didnt mean to imply any potential deal for Cespedes comes without risk, I just feel that the price (at least at the moment) doesnt seem all that exorbitant for the potential reward. I imagine the private workouts teams are holding will be a step towards determining whether he's more than just a video sensation when it comes to self promotion, but going by some of the scouting info I've read, there are some respected baseball people out there who think he has some serious upside. Just my opinion, but I'd rather take a shot at Cespes than paying an older Mike Cuddyer 10 mil a year for 3/4 years. 

summerof67...agree with you on all fronts, and I have a hunch that when all is said and done, a minor bidding war will erupt between a few of the suitors and push his pricetag into an even more uncomfortable range than what Chapman was given. i could see the sox being in the mix and making a somewhat competitive offer, but they arent in a position to be the top bidder and blow the competition away, and with all things being relatively equal the sox will probably be a few pegs below a few other teams on his personal wish list. 

as far as the closer situation, i just hope they dont get sucked into overpaying Ryan Madson like an elite closer. it'd be foolish IMO to not even make Papelbon an offer, then turned around and sign Madson for 3 years with an average AAV among the better paid closers. Rather see them get Heath Bell if they're really willing to spend a lil money there, or just bring someone on a short money/years that can be used in a setup role and as insurance for Bard, like Frank Francisco or Broxton, etc. Be sweet if they could finally get the Royals to part with Joakim Soria, but highly doubt it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KingOSmakk. Show KingOSmakk's posts

Another can't miss clown?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Yoennis Cespedes in RF:
    It's one of my favorite times of year again, "Hot Stove" season, a time when many armchair GM's begin looking closely into how we would personally like to next seasons roster assembled. Personally, the more I think about it I would really love to see the Sox strongly pursue the Cuban kid Yoennis Cespedes for their righfield vacancy. Naturally there may be some apprehension about shelling out free agent dollars for a guy that may or may not still need a little minor league seasoning, but in my opinion it just seems like there could be potential for great value there, not only in the short term but for the long as well.  As we all know Fenway has one of the toughest righfields to play defensively in all of baseball, Cespedes presumably has CF type speed but still may be better suited for a corner spot in the majors. Still, range-wise he could cover some serious ground in Fenway's spacious RF, while also having a plus throwing arm. Offensively he offers that sorely needed pop from the right side of the plate, helping balance out the lineup a bit more. Personally, I'm far more tempted by Cespedes' 5 tool potential than I would be for someone like Cuddyer or Willingham (maybe even Beltran depending on the eventual salary comparisons). If indeed it's true whats being reported, that Cespedes is seeking a deal similar to that of Aroldis Chapman (6 yrs/30 mil), I'd say that could potentially end up a bargain in coming years as the guy is still only 26 and seemingly entering what be his prime years physically. Regardless of his cooky internet workout video, I actually would at least feel a lil better about investing 30 million dollars in a young guy that appears obsessive about his fitness and conditioning, rather than overpaying for past production from dudes already in there lower 30's (like Cuddyer). 30 million, heck JD cost damn near half that last season alone.  With Cespedes they could then package Kalish and/or Reddick with something else and maybe get another serviceable arm, keeping the other as depth behind Cespedes. Although if they did bring him in, they would almost certainly wanna bring back Papi for another 2 years. Not only for his production but to serve as a mentor to their young investment, giving the kid a highly respected latin player he can relate to as he transitions into big league life in the United States.  In all honesty, all of this is more than likely a moot point anyhow because Cespedes will most likely be signed by either the Yankees or Marlins. If Cashman makes up his mind up that he really likes what he sees, then forget about it, the Yanks will outbid everyone (not to mention the whole allure of playing in NY, the Yankee mystique, etc). Either that or the new look Marlins who are increasing payroll and in on just about every big FA out there. If the dollars are all around equal, I could see the presence of Ozzie Guillen and Hanley Ramirez being factors. New ballpark, and Miami has the most sizeable Cuban population in America, if Cespedes pans out he could end up a huge draw for them, and I'm sure they realize it and will go hard for him. I guess we shouldnt count out our old pal Theo in Chicago as somewhat of a darkhorse...the Cubs are about to do their private workout with him, and you never know, it could possibly be one of Theo's splash moves.  Anyway, just enjoy dreaming about the all the possibilities this time of year :)
    Posted by HOFFBURGER

Good to see around these parts again with your goofy avatar, Hoff.  Good comments, although I can't say I'm as enthused as you are about the offseason, especially this one. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Funny. Willing to put a Cuban defector, who has never faced a ML pitcher right into the frying pan, but not Iglesias, who has at least had some exposure at the ML level.
    Where is the logic? I suppose it's because if you're going to shell out 5M/yr, you need a return on investment right away?
    Or, is it because he is not a home-grown guy, who cares if it ruins him for not being ready?
    I suppose you could say that Cuban baseballl is equivalent to ML baseball to justify it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hoff,

Also not a fan of Cuddyer. His gloves makes himn a DH, but his bat doesn't. Slowing bat speed. On the down side.
    Also not a fan of Bell. High fastball pitcher, and throws a straight ball. Fly ball pitcher helped by petco, Chavez Ravine and San Fran. Would not work in Fenway
    Cespedes, surely worth a shot, until the money gets silly, which it will. 3/$36 is too much IMO 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Alibike, I wasnt necessarily ready to throw him right in the right in the frying pan immediately, if I had to guess, much like Aroldis Chapman he could very well spend the majority of his first season in the minors and then he really isnt seen until September. He could end up more of a 2013 and beyond factor than instant gratification, and that may give certain fans pause when it comes to money being spent this offseason to better the team right now for 2012. Then again he could show up and impress people with his intriguing potential and he gets a shot and holds his own in year one. I dont think anyone will really know until they get him into camp and see what they got on a day to day basis. 

As far as the comparisons to Iglesias, I see your points but also feel there are some differing details with each player, most notably age. Iglesias signed with the Red Sox at 19 years old and with far less experience than Cespedes, even if they are both Cuban prospects. The only thing keeping Iglesias outta Boston is his bat, not only is he ready defensively, he could probably step right in and be one of the top 5 defensive shortstops in the game. On the other hand, much of Cespedes value is based on his potential offensive prowess, while still having the physical tools to become a plus defender. At 26 he is more physically matured and experienced (and hopefully more MLB ready) than Iglesias. 

The competition he faced in Cuba as a member of their National team and a professional would certainly seem at least comparable to prospects who play a few years in college and/or minor league baseball. He's played against Major Leaguers in the World Baseball Classic, in Latin American tournaments etc. 

rkarp, good points on bell that i didnt really take too much time to consider I suppose, but absolutely those NL West parks can certainly help a pitchers numbers. And yes the money will get silly, but you really think someone will actually go there? 3/36? yikes, no way, I wouldnt go anywhere near that either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In Response to Re: Yoennis Cespedes in RF:
    Funny. Willing to put a Cuban defector, who has never faced a ML pitcher right into the frying pan, but not Iglesias, who has at least had some exposure at the ML level. Where is the logic? I suppose it's because if you're going to shell out 5M/yr, you need a return on investment right away? Or, is it because he is not a home-grown guy, who cares if it ruins him for not being ready? I suppose you could say that Cuban baseballl is equivalent to ML baseball to justify it.
    Posted by Alibiike

...it might be the fact that Cespedes has enough power to actually get the ball past the infield...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I, too, do not understand the presumed interest in Cuddyer for RF.  He will be horrible out there, and his bat is too weak for DH.

Cespedes is a bargain, in all likelihood; less money than Beltran or Cuddyer, and more years of control.  Yes, he could end up being a bust, but so could Cuddyer ofr even Beltran, both are on the downside.  Just look at Drew's last two seasons for a lesson.

Right now I don't think the Red Sox have the inside track, but I think they could get one.  Others said sewing up a manager is not holding the Sox back on other moves.  I disagree.  If the Red Sox hire Alomar as their manager, and retain Ortiz as their DH, then Cespedes might be much more inclined to play for Boston.  And Alomar could help evaluate the young man and recruit him if he sees the potential. 

Hire Lamont as the bench coach, as he has the experience, and let Alomar start his MLB managerial career in Boston, the sooner the better, IMO.  He was an outstanding player and citizen, and leader in two clubhouses.  With Lamont's help and experience, the two should run a good show and help young Latin players adjust.  With Iglesias, Bogaerts, and possibly others (Cespedes isn't the only Cuban defector out there at this time), the Sox could really benefit from Alomar's reputation and persona.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Par hunter1  Why would you hire a latin manager and sign Ortiz to entice one player to come to Boston especially if they are not the best person for either job?  We need to get the best manager in place and put our best line up on the field regardless of what nationality they are and not intice players because of that.  We need to entice players because we have a well run sound organization that takes care of all their employees.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Forget this guy.  Boston have gambled too much in past many years on signing bunch of foreign players such as Dice K, Tawaza, Iggy, etc as well signing too many risk short term free agents such as Smoltz, Penny, Miller, etc.

Enuff of that.

If he is that good, but we all know he will go to a team that is not in the same division as Boston.

So therefore, it is not a loss to Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

The guy has a solid record of international baseball played and he set the HR record in Cuba. It was something like 32 or so in 90 games wasn't it? Those are pretty impressive numbers for a guy with 5 tools. Fast enough to play CF. His team was an offensive juggernaut if I remember correctly last year and that is a factor ( how much protection he got in the lineup and if the home park is offensively skewed ).

The biggest problem I have with this is that he may do nothing for us all year. It may well take him a year or 2 to help and he will be a major league contract affecting the luxury tax totals and may not even be on the 25 man roster all year. He could be a major find though. 

Think Kendry Morales. A guy who took several years to make the transition but was a stud when he did arrive. If they look at him and feel good about it then yes...sign him. We can't expect him to help this year though. Maybe, but probably not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Well it's now being reported that Cherington is headed to the Dominican this weekend, and one order of business while he is there will be to work out and scout Cespedes. Glad to see Ben being hands on and taking a first hand look for himself and not just sending someone else to do it for him. While it may not be any kinda rock solid indicator, he did hit .458 during the 2009 World Baseball Classic, in addition to several other accomplishments in both his homeland and international play. 

Personally, it's seeming like his market is predictably heating up and there are at least 10 teams in on him so far. With that in mind, I'd be surprised if the Sox get themselves into a bidding war this offseason and go the distance it will probably take to sign him. 

If anyone is interested and hasnt seen it, here's a link to his goofy "showcase" video where you can see him hit slowmotion homers and make behind the back catches, box jump 45 inches and leg press 1300 lbs, etc. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

You mean the Sox aren't bringing J.D. Drew back to play RF?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

ok, so since i was the dude burning the midnight oil for Cespedes, figured i'd pay my thread another visit. while i'm real curious how this weekends workouts went with both him and jorge soler, this november 20 report i saw gave me slight pause while also catching my attention a bit:

A scout who has seen Yoenis Cespedes told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that the Cuban outfielder has "too long of a swing for me" and compared the 26-year-old to Wily Mo Pena.

"He has too long of a swing for me," the scout said. "He could strike out a lot. He reminds me of Wily Mo Pena a little with his power, but whether you can devote those kinds of dollars and project him as a top major league player, that’s quite a leap of
     faith.’’

naturally, i think anytime you say the name "Wily Mo Pena" to a red sox fan it's just bound to draw an adverse reaction, but the timing of this seemed interesting as well (right on the weekend BC was in DR, with Cafardo as the source). couple that with the fact that I saw somewhere else yesterday that Cespedes might actually be seeking a 6/80 now, and yeah, lets just say that hoff has cooled on him a few degrees. still, seems Cafardo was way ahead of the curve on Bobby V, does he have the inside dope on Cespedes as well? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

There is an article on MLB.com now about Cespedes, and then some comments from viewers......I copy exactly..syntax and all..the words of one writer.......take it for what it's worth.....

I AM A CUBAN DURING 50 YEARS THE MOST GOOD HITTERS HAD BEEN CONECTING FOR MORE THAN 340;MR CESPEDES FACED A FRIENDLYPITCHERS, WHEN I VISITED CUBA I SAW HIM; WHEN THE BALL IS OUTSIDE HE CHASED THE BALL AWAY FROM HOME PLAY (I think he means home plate); HE IS A FAST BALL HITTER; TO ME HE WILL BE A 240, 25 HOME RUNS, 80RBI, AND 200 STRIKEOUTS.

You can read it on the MLB site......it appears authentic, but I don't know how accurate the analysis is from this guy...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I have no idea if he can play (mostly none of do), but I can a kind of fit here.

1-Strict platoon between him and Reddck until Cespedes gets comfortable.  Kalish spends a year in AAA.

2-2013 Reddck gets traded for value, and Kalish backs up Cespedes.

3-2014 Kalish takes over CF when Ellsbury moves on.

Might get pretty decent production out of CF/RF without breaking the bank.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: Yoennis Cespedes in RF:
    Hoff, Also not a fan of Cuddyer. His gloves makes himn a DH, but his bat doesn't. Slowing bat speed. On the down side. Also not a fan of Bell. High fastball pitcher, and throws a straight ball. Fly ball pitcher helped by petco, Chavez Ravine and San Fran. Would not work in Fenway Cespedes, surely worth a shot, until the money gets silly, which it will. 3/$36 is too much IMO 
    Posted by rkarp

I doubt that the Sox will have to think about Cuddyer...the Phillies are very interested in him.  They don't need him to play as an everyday player...they are building a super bench early in the FA season and cherry picking the FA market to fill their shopping list while everyone else waits to see what shakes out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Phillies are out of the Cuddyer sweepstakes as they traded for Wiggington. The Sox are overloaded with minor league OF's. Lin,Kalish,Linares,Hassan just to name a few.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Yes Cespedes  has been compared by  one scout    to Willy Mo Pena -- a big swing and a lot of strike outs..

Packaged by his agent as   "strong as a bull"  It's a long way  from the Carribbean  to Fenway ..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Taking a serious look at Cespedes and Linares seem like smart moves.  Obviously, Cespedes will cost quite a bit, but may be that much advanced than Reddick, Kalish and Linares.  If Cespedes or Linares succees with the Red Sox, it very well could open all kinds of opportunities to sign Cuban ballplayers. The Red Sox already also have Ibarra as a possible ML catcher and there must be an abundance of talent in Cuba even with the political issues.  Not sure how many other players the Red Sox have signed after signing DiceK, but we do know Okajima and Tazawa are in the group.  Our likely new Manager, may even have some ideas on a few players he evaluated when managing in Japan and Bobby V at least know the quality of play in Japan at different levels which has to be of some help in evaluating the talent.

Sections
Shortcuts