You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lifelongsoxdawg. Show lifelongsoxdawg's posts

You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return

Drew- 2011 season

G    AB    R    H   TB   2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   SB   AVG   OBP   SLG    OPS
    72  218  23   50    69   5     1    4     21    32   52    0   .229  .329  .317   .646 

Reddick- 2011 season 

G   AB    R   H    TB    2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   SB   AVG   OBS   SLG   OPS                
    23  61   14  24   41    5     3     2     15    6    11    1   .393   .429  .672  1.101

Conclusion: The numbers tell it all. REDICK hands down. Comments!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tookme55. Show tookme55's posts

Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return

You should go with the hot bat. Absolutely no reason to wait on Drew to get hot. Redick is already hot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Reddick all day.  He's shown us a new found ability to be more patient at the plate, and he also can play a very good defensive right field (I've heard he can play all 3 well)  I understand Reddick has slumped at times and I fully expect him to pull back from his stats now.......but I've always been a "what have you done for me recently" kinda guy...and right now Reddick is hot and doing a lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

I'll only be upset if management does something to prevent Reddick from taking the job NEXT year. He has earned that chance, and the last thing I want to see is another five years of uninspired play from some over-the-hill free agent acquisition.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Reddick and its not close at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think you let Reddick play until he shows you he can't.  There is also a good chance Drew goes back on the DL before Crawford makes this an issue.

As for next year, I would assume Reddick has made himself desirable to other teams, and he might be considered a valuable trade chip.  As of now, he will get a better player than Kalish will...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Reddick has had the tools for a couple years now and is finally pulling his approach together. I wouldn't trade him. He is a great fit in RF next year and out fielders are going to be at a premium.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return:
    [QUOTE]Drew- 2011 season G    AB    R    H   TB   2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   SB   AVG   OBP   SLG    OPS 72  218  23   50    69   5     1    4     21    32   52    0   .229  .329  .317   .646  Reddick- 2011 season  G   AB    R   H    TB    2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   SB   AVG   OBS   SLG   OPS                 23  61   14  24   41    5     3     2     15    6    11    1   .393   .429  .672  1.101   Conclusion: The numbers tell it all. REDICK hands down. Comments!
    Posted by lifelongsoxdawg[/QUOTE]

Reddick stays unless he goes ICE COLD.  Drew is a lost soul at the plate.  He's a born-again Christian waiting for Jesue to be his personal savior in the batter's box. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Reddick over Drew.  Although Scott Boras will fully disagree with me.  lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Reddick will get the nod once CC returns but JD will come back a hero.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I don't think you'll get anyone choosing Drew. Well, maybe Babe ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

I am all for starting Reddick..sit Drew he can come off the bench..his career is over in Boston..he is very good in the field..but cmon..let's get real here..Reddick is hot and let's run with it..is Reddick still young yes..I like the kid..I am sick of old veterans at 14M gulp million a year..ouch!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I thought Drew was going on his monthly tear a few weeks back and predicted he would be above .270 by the all-star break.  My bad.  Don't I look the fool?

Reddick over Drew in a heartbeat.  They cut ties with Cameron, time for Drew to go next.  Even if Reddick slumps big time, he has power potential and a new found knowledge of the strike zone.  Drew, on the other hand, seems to have lost all his power and knowledge of the strike zone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return:
    [QUOTE]I think you let Reddick play until he shows you he can't.  There is also a good chance Drew goes back on the DL before Crawford makes this an issue. As for next year, I would assume Reddick has made himself desirable to other teams, and he might be considered a valuable trade chip.  As of now, he will get a better player than Kalish will...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

No way I trade Reddick, Notin. He's Drew's replacement, sooner or later.
    Put yourself in Tito's place. He's managed Drew and other vets for years. He's watched them win one game after another for him. For a human being to reward such loyalty with a hard axe is really, really tough to do.

I think both are handling it professionally. Tito now has Drew hitting 8th, behind the catcher, vs. right-handed pitching. Drew isn't pulling a spoiled Posada act.
    Drew is a pro all the way. He's aging out and I think he'll justify his presence before it's all said and done. Maybe not by seasonal stats, but let's not forget his blow vs. the Tribe in 2007, which made many forget his light season.

BTW: You are nearing the 5000 post mark. That's silver watch time around here:)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

The only problem with your trade (as much as you hate Ells, basically everyone admits that Kemp is better than Ells) is what you do afterwards. You should cut Drew and have DMac be the backup, seeing how he at least has value if Crawford can't hit lefties when he comes back. The fact that Drew is a good defensive replacement is nullified by the fact that DMac has a cannon and it doesn't matter because Crawford, Kemp, and Reddick are all good defenders, with Crawford and Kemp being gold-glove caliber.
     Also, Selig and his minions might nix the trade bacause they don't want to see a Dogers' fire sale because they think the Dogers would only be doing it for financial purposes, even though the Dogers are in last place.
     I would like to see your exact trade offer. Kemp for Ells and (fill in the blank)?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

DFA'ing Drew is becoming much more of a possiblity than a mere dream.

If Theo and Francona play Drew over Reddick it will be a shame.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEO WILL BE MAKING A MOVE SOOOON......  MY ADVICE TO ALL YOU T-BALLING  G M's,  ENJOY THE  ALL STAR BREAK !!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Though I see Ellsbury as the odd man out, long-term, I see no reason to trade him this season.  In fact, I see all kinds of reasons not to.  Read Mazz's article in today's Globe for Ell's stats.  Long and short of it:  In games he scores a run the Sox win, in games he does not (and they are few) the Sox do not.

The Sox are more successful against lefty starters this season than righties.  The perceived imbalance created by an all-lefty hitting OF is NOT a problem so far this season...not in the least.  No need to take the one truly productive OFer the Sox have and trade him to balance an offensive that needs no such balancing.

The problem is RF.  Reddick is the fix that costs the least, in more ways than one.  Why not give him his well-deserved chance?

And here is hoping that Crawford settles in for a good second half, after trying too hard during the first half.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

I agree, it should be Reddick but will Theo & Tito justify sitting 14 million on the bench? That is alot of salary to eat. I guess it wouldn't be the first time though!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

jpB,

I'm no GM. but the way I look at it, the Sox have paid all but about 5 million of the original contract to Drew.  Let him go, and write it off.  Reddick and MacDonald do more for the Sox than Drew, IMO.  (And I have been a defender of Drew all along.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]DFA'ing Drew is becoming much more of a possiblity than a mere dream. If Theo and Francona play Drew over Reddick it will be a shame.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]''

I agree that Reddick plays over Drew at this point but why would they DFA Drew?  He would be the perfect 4th outfielder and he obviously isn't going to cause a stink if he doesn't start.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return : '' I agree that Reddick plays over Drew at this point but why would they DFA Drew?  He would be the perfect 4th outfielder and he obviously isn't going to cause a stink if he doesn't start.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I don't see Drew going anywhere unless Theo trades for another RF bat and J.D. becomes part of the package.  Reddick has done well but like "Kalish" neither can hit breaking balls very well just yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You DFA Drew to make room on the roster for Reddick after Crawford's return.  Somebody has to go...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

Reddick, but with the team in 1st place, I don't believe Tito will put Drew on the bench unfortunately. We'll see, is Crawford scheduled to play this Friday against the Rays?

Sections
Shortcuts