You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return

Yeah it's a legit question no doubt.

The reason for the DFA (Of Drew) would be a matter of managing the 25 man roster. 

I don't think they need 5 OF'ers....Which would mean either MacD or Drew goes.  If we DFA MacD we probably lose him and we may want to retain him in some capacity.  MacD can play the other OF spots and PR and Drew can not.  Look, MacD has been disappointing and I get your point 100%, but I just think that Drew doesn't add enough attributes to be a bench player - I mean, do you want to see him get a PH AB late in the game?  Who does he PH for?  Only guy I could think of would actually be MacD.......He could PR but only for someone like Ortiz  or Gonzo (which is not recommended to take them out of the game) - certainly one of the catchers but that's about it.......In the OF he could only get in RF....Not enough versatility.  It would be similar to when Theo was in love with the idea of keeping Sean Casey and Casey Kotchman on the bench - you can not waste roster spots for bench players to guys who are 1-2 dimensional players.......Anyways, that's my rationale.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

there should be no question that reddick should play every day until he proves (if he does?) that he cannot play every day.  the fact that he is clearly out-producing drew in about 25% of the at bats leaves no question in my eyes.

without any further injuries between now and when crawford comes off the DL, my guess is that navarro heads back to pawtucket to activate crawford.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

You guys just don't seem to get it.
    It's insane to have three lefty hitters, none of whom is a power hitter, in Fenway Park. Don't tell me about "Babe" Reddick, who only has ONE HR against anyone bit Baltimore. He's proven he can hit stinky pitching. I love people here talking like he should go straight to Cooperstown. Two weeks does not make a player or a career.
    The Sox should have spent the money on Matt Holiday last year, insead of the moronic Crawford contract.
    4 million a year less and a way better fit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

holiday would look better than either reddick or drew and maybe even better than crawford (in hindsight), but guy who started this thread was asking whether we/anyone thought that it should be drew or reddick in RF after the all star break.

i am not sure yet that, although he is a right handed hitter, holiday is a better fit than crawford.  you may be comparing holiday's full year last year in st louis with crawford's less than half year with the sox, and i am not sure that is a fair comparison.  holiday did not exactly tear it up in his half year in oakland as i remember.

and, we will probably never really know if holiday could have handled the extra pressure in boston that he has never seen in colorado, oakland or st louis.  lots of guys have failed on the bigger boston stage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

One way of looking at this issue is - Does Drew provide any upside from now until his contract runs out?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"Does Drew provide any upside from now until his contract runs out?"

Play Reddick AINEC (and it's not even close).  Re: above quote: Yeah, I'd prefer Drew over DMac as 4th OFer.  Play Reddick every day unless/until he proves Drew the better choice (unlikely, IMO) and let's see if anyone picks up DMac or if we can keep him stocked for depth.  I don't see a reason to DFA Drew no matter how down we are on him.  DMac has no future in 2012 even as depth, IMO, since Kalish et al are out there too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I'm looking at the body of work in his career, not a year or so. Holiday hit .294 in the WS vs. the Sox. I wouldn't have any concerns about him playing in Boston.
    JBay and VMart played their entire careers at Pittsburgh and Cleveland, and hit the ground running from day one in Boston.
    How is Crawford such a great fit? He's a less talented Ellsbury at an incredible inflated price for seven years. How good will he be when he speed begins to go?
    He has had a problem adjusting to playing here. Worst FA signing in Sox history.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return:
    [QUOTE]You DFA Drew to make room on the roster for Reddick after Crawford's return.  Somebody has to go...
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

They have been carrying 5 Outfielders all year.  It was Cameron and DMAC on the bench.  Why couldn't it be Drew and DMAC now?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

DEWEY!!!!

-Daf. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

What does Crawford coming back have to do with it?  It should be Reddick over Drew...end of discussion!  And, to hell with the rh vs. lh bat!  Reddick is killing leftys!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think the obvious answer is Reddick > Drew.  This doesn't address the long term issue in RF however.  Do we really trust Reddick out there? as well as he's playing and as high as his ceiling is do we really think he will fulfill his potential playing everyday in RF? and most importantly do we really want yet another leftie in a leftie dominant lineup?

Reddick may be the obvious choice now, but I'm starting to wonder if the Sox are thinking to sell high now on the kid and get a RH RF. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

reddick w/o question; drew should be seen as little as possible.
    as for eating 14 million by not playing drew often, the SOX are used to that; no team in baseball eats more bad contracts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: You decide! Drew or Reddick upon Crawford's return:
    [QUOTE]I think the obvious answer is Reddick /> Drew.  This doesn't address the long term issue in RF however.  Do we really trust Reddick out there? as well as he's playing and as high as his ceiling is do we really think he will fulfill his potential playing everyday in RF? and most importantly do we really want yet another leftie in a leftie dominant lineup? Reddick may be the obvious choice now, but I'm starting to wonder if the Sox are thinking to sell high now on the kid and get a RH RF. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

That frames the question for me.  Right field in Fenway is not ANY right field. It takes a special player to play it day in and day out.  And since we need a bit more right handed power, that means we need a right handed hitter with power bat, and arm, who can handle the tough geometry... in other words...

DEWEY!!!

(At least that is my prototype.)

So Reddick works until we can get someone in that mold. 

-Daf.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You know in retrospect, we need to realize how lucky we are as fans to talk about how we need an upgrade at a position.  The majority of MLB teams have a J.D. drew quality player at half to almost every position.....and I'm not talking about the above average under rated over rated but slightly overpaid J.D. Drew of the past I'm talking about the on the decline not worth as much 2011 J.D. Drew.