You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?

What everybody forgot about Dice K because of the posting fee/contract was that Dice K was an international player and a rookie in 2007. His 2007 and 2008 were excellent for a rookie with no AAA experience. His 2009 and 2010 campaigns were marred by injury but the early progress was good and was what the RS publicly stated at the time was to be expected.

His game will occasional be marred by bad outings, it is the nature of his game. But if he starts to string a few more starts like these together, umpires will start to giv him corners instead of squeeze him on those corners and then he will be a very tough pitcher indeed. If he gets the benefit on the corners, watch out.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Typical response from Red Sox Nation.

I often laugh at stuff like this.

A player can be brought to the team, play awful for the better part of 4 years , and VOILA , he pitches 2 (TWO) (...that's one more than one (1)really good games back to back and suddenly we should all "apologize" to him because "we" were wrong!

Maybe he should "apologize" to the fans for taking money and not performing. Hell, in most of our jobs , if we were that bad, we would've been canned a long time ago!

He's lucky he works in a profession where you are "under contract", and you have a union to protect you. This insures players get more chances than they deserve.  If you throw darts blindly at a target long enough , you will , by sheer chance, hit the target once in a while. 

Two stellar starts won't get it done. ...and why did it take so long?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

Sorry Dice-K. I was wrong (so far)

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You've got it right Pike, I am a pessimist.

But that really has no bearing on this thread.

Daisuke has been awful more times than he's been "great."

We were led to believe this guy was a "world class" pitcher, a superstar, perennial all star, etc.

Pitching two great games should erase all the bad ones?

I am glad he is pitching good, we need him. But, why, toward the end of the contract , after two great games, does he rate an apology?

If you went to work, and basically ,didn't do your job for 4 years, then all of a sudden woke up and earned your pay for TWO DAYS, would you ask for apologies from co-workers, customers, or your boss?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?:
    [QUOTE]You've got it right Pike, I am a pessimist. But that really has no bearing on this thread. Daisuke has been awful more times than he's been "great." We were led to believe this guy was a "world class" pitcher, a superstar, perennial all star, etc. Pitching two great games should erase all the bad ones? I am glad he is pitching good, we need him. But, why, toward the end of the contract , after two great games, does he rate an apology? If you went to work, and basically ,didn't do your job for 4 years, then all of a sudden woke up and earned your pay for TWO DAYS, would you ask for apologies from co-workers, customers, or your boss?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You are re-writing history here.  Didn't do his job for 4 years?  You are going to have to back that one up.  Didn't he help the Sox win the World Series in 2007?  Didn't he go 18-3 in 2008?  He was 4th in ROY in 2007 and 4th in Cy Young in 2008.  2009 and 2010 were not good years.  But if you are going to trash the guy, at least be fair about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Harness and Slav owe DiceK an apology, and need to admonish Wakefield for wasting an active roster spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You owe the board an apology for misrepresenting almost everyone's positions.

I have been one of this boards biggest Dice-K supporters. Take your blinders off.

Just because I rightfully advocatedfor Dice-K to take more time to rehab in 2010, does not mean I owe him an apology. If anyone does it is Tito for allowing his 7.89 ERA those first 4 games back.

(Just curious, if you weren't on his board as another ID, then how did you know I wanted Wake over Dice-K for just those 4 starts last May? Your first post under the GM moniker was 3/22/2011.)

Where's your apology to Jake, Wake, Jed, Tek, Scuty, "Slackey", Beckett, Mikey, Tito, an Theo?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"(Just curious, if you weren't on his board as another ID, then how did you know I wanted Wake over Dice-K for just those 4 starts last May? Your first post under the GM moniker was 3/22/2011.)"  Classic - another glaring example that BaseballGM and Softy are one and the same. 

I posted that I thought Dice K was finished (in the AL East) but I never thought he was finished in baseball. Thought he needed a change of scenery. Let's see him string together some more quality starts and I'll be glad to admit I was wrong. However no apologies are needed on a message board when offering up your honest take. 

This whole thread is based on the idea that if you utter anything critical about a player on your team eventually you owe an apology if they play well. That's ludicrous. The OP is hardly someone I look up to for baseball commentary. The one thing I do deplore on this board about DiceK is the occasxional piece of racist drivel we have seen. Otherwise, it's hard to blame anyone who has been frustrated with his meandering pitching style and the pressure to call a five inning, three run, 110 pitch game a "quality start."  I'm not surprised to see Sox loyalty enforcer Smiley jumping in as well with his McCarthyesque notion of a "real fan."

As for BaseballGM piling on talking about people owing apologies, that does surprise me as he would never offer up similar apologies if Wakefield had some good starts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewartredsox. Show stewartredsox's posts

Not yet. Dice is doing exactly what he should have done years earlier. Quicker to the plate, throw fast balls for strikes, get ahead in the count, no more 2-0, 3-0 crap so he can use off speed stuff to get batters out. I have to admit I can watch this Dice K much easier. I haven't changed the channel in 2 starts. Please continue to keep hitters off balance so we can watch you pitch. I still need to see more before he gets my pass. 2 starts don't undo years of frustrations. I sure would like to see much more though.

Jersey sox fan for 45 years 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Dice-Ks career line:  48 - 29 W/L
                                4.18 ERA
                                102 GS
                                607.1 IP
                                553 hits allowed
                                558 Ks
                                287 BBs
                                .242 OBA
                                1.38 WHIP

It is a tremendous re-writing of history to suggest he has been bad all 4 years of his career.  And it is only marginally less ridiculous to suggest he has been more bad than good.  He has more wins than losses, more Ks than Hits allowed, and has averaged just under 6 IP per start (5.95 to be exact).  That is very respectable, even for most #3s on a team.  There are teams that would like to have that from their #2.  Compare that against Lowe or Arroyo, either of whom he has signed to replace in the rotation.

Even last year, Dice-K was 9-6 with an ERA under 5, in 25 starts.  That is about what you hope your #5 starter can do -- win 10 - 12 games or so in 30 or so starts.  He fell 5 starts shy of what would be expected.  But his 4.69 ERA, pitching in the AL East, and his 1.37 WHIP (just a tick better than his lifetime average), made him the 4th best starter on the team last year. 

In other words, Matsuzaka has had one really bad and injury plagued season.  He had one Cy Young contending season.  He had a very good rookie season.  And a serviceable, but frustrating, last season.  His lifetime stats point out that he walks too many batters, but his hits per IP are lower than average (by a lot) and his HRs per IP are about average.  And his OBA with runners on base is exceptional.

I can understand someone who would have liked more for the 100 million dollar invested, but he's accomplished a better record in the toughest division in baseball than others whose contracts cost even more (eg., Zito, Brown, Burnett even -- and I am sure moon or someone more stat literate than I could find numerous examples of more).