You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?

Do you have the courage to apologize to Dice-K?

Um...Dice-K is who is he is. It's time we all realized he was a number 5 starter, and started treating him that way.
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0aafe6e06c64ab9193bade7ba9ff94ad&plckUserId=0aafe6e06c64ab9193bade7ba9ff94ad">redsoxfan791

I have to believe Francona is sick of this guy. I would love to be in his office tonight when he calls Theo in to talk about this trash pitcher.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=a98fe797522297c18cf2a772524b368b&plckUserId=a98fe797522297c18cf2a772524b368b">ADG

I could have sworn I was watching "Eight Men Out" tonight with the pitcher throwing every single pitch dead center of the plate. Not only does he suck but now shows no heart whatsoever. Horrible

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=d4679e152ae4e7534162eab370f76f79&plckUserId=d4679e152ae4e7534162eab370f76f79">feelec

they need to cut him,buy out his contract and move on.how can they pitch a guy who gets killed by the worst hitting team in baseball.plus he demoralizes the rest of the team.no one would miss him and i'm sure he has no friends.
    add wake and wheeler to the list.wakes finished and should just retire

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e691132e5ac6761b23a21db1b3dbe49d&plckUserId=e691132e5ac6761b23a21db1b3dbe49d">udontnojack

Ive been patient enough with this clown(Dice-K). trade him and offer to eat the rest of the 20mil owed to him. really, this guy refuses to talk in english, cant pitch consistantly to save his life, sits away from everyone on the bench and just seems like he'd rather be anywhere else than Boston. And Im sorry but with all due respect, Wake isnt that much better...This team has a ton of talent and everytime this guy takes the mound it seems all the energy leaves the ballpark...

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=977cd2d7208407bde78c876cf85adb15&plckUserId=977cd2d7208407bde78c876cf85adb15">southpaw777

Bobby Valentine on ESPN said he thinks Dice-K is off the Red Sox, soon.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=cba3279f1c5e1cd73c529800bad8d1d4&plckUserId=cba3279f1c5e1cd73c529800bad8d1d4">Granite2000

although the Globe Poll has readers voting to trade him over out-right release, I have to wonder if any team in their right mind would want him at this point.
    What bothers me, even more than his terrible pitching, is his whole 'being' on the mound. He radiates defeat and self-pity. I coach little league and tell my pitchers that how you project yourself on the mound says a lot to the hitters. Stand tall, look tough and don't let them see you sweat. Hitters can smell fear on the mound and they are able to feed off of that.
    Can we trade him back to a Japanese team so he can rebuild his 'Wah'?

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=7e6857bcc005cad165bcdab33baafc18&plckUserId=7e6857bcc005cad165bcdab33baafc18">wallawalla

The thing abot MDice K is people talk about his great stuff. Ive never seen great stuff from him. He has ZERO command, its either 2 ft out of the zone or pinpoint in the middle of it. I dont think hes not trying, i just dont think he ever had the talent to be a big league pitcher.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e180596e1c28dcf3077bb8607543b246&plckUserId=e180596e1c28dcf3077bb8607543b246">jamesey271975

What you saw last night is what you will get for every Dice-K appearance. Low innings, high runs and an overused bullpen. Wakefield is too inconsistent for reliable bullpen duty. He's great for mop-up, that's about it. So what happens when Beckett throws another clunker - and it will happen - and depletes the bullpen the night before Dice-K's next start?

I say trade/ DFA Dice-K and start Aceves.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=918451bb3df832c9673979c1791b37ce&plckUserId=918451bb3df832c9673979c1791b37ce">youngparisians

Completely agree with you. Wakefield was great and is involved with the charities in Boston but it is clearly time for him to go as well. The Matsusaka money is gone, maybe you can flip him for another bad pitcher contract and see what happens. This team has to get better and in a hurry before they dig a hole that they will get the bends trying to get out of !

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=6bc6fc370c2cdf53f98c789faaaad64c&plckUserId=6bc6fc370c2cdf53f98c789faaaad64c">AL34

When I posted here two years ago stating that this National Treasure, or as I called him Muchowalka, was a piece of crap, most people here called me a moron, or worse. I'm glad people are finally seeing him for what he has always been, a piece of crap.

I would now like to give him a more appropriate nickname, Muchohomer.

For those of you true die-hard Dice-Fans: the odds of him ever becoming a servicable pitcher for the Sox, or any other MLB team, is about even with my hitting the Mega Million Jackpot!!! Take that to the bank.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=2f0e1ed75d7ce5ddfc54c2bbee9a6178&plckUserId=2f0e1ed75d7ce5ddfc54c2bbee9a6178">realbz

I predicted mediocrity for Dice-K this season. I just hope he raises his game to that level.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=1e86225686182c7973dda642e5492a1f&plckUserId=1e86225686182c7973dda642e5492a1f">devildavid

I agree with Jamesy...Dice K was never all that good. Think about it. He came here as this mythological being who could throw a "Gyroball". He had a decent first year (14-10, I think), but rarely got out of the sixth inning. The next year he had a great record (18-2?) but led the league in walks and was fortunate more than good. Now, I think it's a combination of things: the league is on to him, he may be injured or not recovered from 2 years of injuries, and when you couple that with the fact that he was never all that good, what you have is mediocrity. Test the trade waters, but I doubt anyone would want him.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=3a20de90386eabd9d9602dba4f99e4ab&plckUserId=3a20de90386eabd9d9602dba4f99e4ab">Gready

I think we have a big enough sample to realize that Dice-K simply won't or can't listen. FOR ME..... That is the key issue. Let's forget about this nibbling nonsense. More often than not, the guy can't even get close to his spots. OR.... he's just too scared to do it????

I won't even get into Dice-k's inexplicable, & frankly inexcusable, getting hurt in Japan & not telling our staff! THIS is NOT honorable!

Most Red Sox fans are done with the excuses! Don't know how, but it's time to move on!

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=98fe180394803aa0b83559fc22968a87&plckUserId=98fe180394803aa0b83559fc22968a87">redsoxdirtdog

bottom line is perhaps he's just isn't as good as we thought he'd be and certainly it's all on him...

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=f882bb8f60daadf5379381a0950dec92&plckUserId=f882bb8f60daadf5379381a0950dec92">Beantowne

aside from a pretty good game 7 against Cleveland, he's been very disappointing

win some, lose some . . . we missed in the analysis of abilities, no different than the Yanks did with Contreras . . . too bad they didn't outbid us to DiceK too

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=41f788cf1e4047171766c92e0300b103&plckUserId=41f788cf1e4047171766c92e0300b103">SouthSt

Who doesn't agree? That's really the question.

The guy was brought over here at a total cost of 18 million per season (9 on the books per year on average) and is not even a mediocre pitcher.

In fact, he's not even justifiable as a #5.

I'll take Wakefield as the starter over him anyday of the week and this goes back 2 seasons.

This is easily Theo's worst pitching investment and probably the worst one in Sox history.

"The real reason why I always have this smirk on my face is because I am stoned, constantly."

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e0ea5fa740925d916765214e19533213&plckUserId=e0ea5fa740925d916765214e19533213">RidingWithTheKing

From my vantage point, he wants out, and will continue to send the Sox that massage.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=50965a560713094c2ee839c91fb967a9&plckUserId=50965a560713094c2ee839c91fb967a9">GoBoSo

He'll get shelled, like he always gets shelled. He cant pitch.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e180596e1c28dcf3077bb8607543b246&plckUserId=e180596e1c28dcf3077bb8607543b246">jamesey271975

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?

So, two terrific starts gives you enough confidence to call out those, who rightfully were frustrated with Dice-K's inconsistency, and quite frankly, hard-to-watch-get-knocked around/high pitch counts, base runners galore pitching over the past 2+ years?  Look, as a fan, I hope he has a season for the ages.  And if he does, great - two plus years of mediocrity can be forgiven.  But if you think he's pitched to his previous reputation, or in fact his contract cost - then I would suggest you have too low expectations.  Don't blame others if they expected more out of him.  He was advertised as an ace, or at least a very good number two starter.  He's not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I doubt seriously that self-branded Dice-K haters - oops - experts would ever apologize.  Only if he continues to pitch like the last two games.

What's this stuff about refuses to learn English?  There's an old joke that defines this issue fairly well ...

What do you call a person that speaks 3 languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call a person that speaks 2 languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call a person that speaks one language?

American.

Like all stereotypes, that doesn't fit perfectly and infuriates some into blithering idiocy ... but think about it.  How many languages does your average neighbor speak?   Even if you're in a barrio, it may well be just one.  Even if it isn't english.

Me?

Fluently - one.  (Though I do speak American very well, I also speak English and Aussie with fair ease.  Used to use them in my ad productions in radio ... along with some mexicali.)

Study purposes - three.  (Greek and Latin ...and English)

Anyway, I don't see a single problem about Dice-K's language issues.

Please - don't make that an issue.  I know some people that could hardly understand a word the founder of the Special Olympics said in her speeches. (A tremendous gift to us as a society ...not knocking that at all.) And that was "English" .....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes..Guilty as charged. But in my defense...Who hasnt wanted to get rid of Dice-K at one point or another over the last 4+ years? Honestly, Id like to find one person in RSN that hasnt gotten frustrated with him and wanted him gone at one point. Its about time hes doing well( so far), it looks like he MIGHT start earning some of that contract. I think Dice is the only player ever to have me this frustrated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i love dice k - but i am still paying for my pedroia sins in 2008

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?:
    [QUOTE]Yes..Guilty as charged. But in my defense...Who hasnt wanted to get rid of Dice-K at one point or another over the last 4+ years? Honestly, Id like to find one person in RSN that hasnt gotten frustrated with him and wanted him gone at one point. Its about time hes doing well( so far), it looks like he MIGHT start earning some of that contract. I think Dice is the only player ever to have me this frustrated.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I never wanted him gone,  Southpaw.  I can say I have been frustrated, just so you'll know I am being honest.  I always wondered why they tinkered with his work ethic as much as they did. I know that Japanese pitchers supposedly wear out early because of super high pitch counts and they though they were preserving their investment.  Yet, they made him do stuff really far off his life long routine.

His unwillingness to admit he was injured either admirable or part of saving face or just plain ego ... I don't know.  But he was injured last year. 

I think we are going to get the godd Dice-K this season.  He has a lot of pride. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He was advertised as an ace, or at least a very good number two starter.  He's not

Whose fault is it that you conjured this all in your head?  Every year fans make up thier minds about something, correct or incorrect, and then expect the RS to live up to it.  Last year the offense was going to stink, even though it figured to be about the same as 2009, and this year it was supposed to be great, even though it figured to be about the same as 2010.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Bobby Valentine on ESPN said he thinks Dice-K is off the Red Sox, soon.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=cba3279f1c5e1cd73c529800bad8d1d4&plckUserId=cba3279f1c5e1cd73c529800bad8d1d4">Granite2000

Bobby Valentine is easily the worst announcer I've ever heard.  I accidently pass by one of his games and my TV goes on snooze mode.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes..Guilty as charged. But in my defense...Who hasnt wanted to get rid of Dice-K at one point or another over the last 4+ years?

At the end of the day, the only that matters is if you get better or not.  I don't object so much to people wanting to get rid of him so much as people having no plan for replacing him.  Personally, I wanted to trade him for value and use his salary as a down payment for Cliff Lee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I also never wanted Matsuzaka gone.  I still wear my jersey with pride.  Even before this season I had to point out his career statistics to people.  If I recall those stats were 16-9 with an ERA of 4.18 and 6.0 IP per start based on a full season.  No, he has not been an Ace.  But he certainly has been as good as most #3's if you look at his totals on the whole.  And his salary was only $51 for 6 years.  He gets no portion of the posting fee.  I consider that an expense of doing baseball.  It also aided the Sox in acquiring Okajima and Tazawa.  And yes, he was injured for a couple of years.  The fact that he hid that from the Sox does bother me, but I don't think he did it out of deceit to somehow cheat the Sox out of something. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Absolutely. I was ready to get rid of him for Joe Blanton.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: You may owe an apology to Dice-K. Is your name on this list?:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely. I was ready to get rid of him for Joe Blanton.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

Jay,

Then we would have seen him again.  IN the World Series ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Seems Salty might be the one who owes Dice-K the apology. He's pitching lights out with V-Tek behind the plate. I never posted but would have said that Dice-K is twice the pitcher that Lackey is. So, I'll go on the record on 2 stupid moves by Theo, Lackey and of course Crawford, who of course, will get better and end up hitting 280 or something, but $35 million a year for those two guys; always felt Theo needed adult supervision when the big dollars came out, and aside from A-Gon (brilliant, IMO), I still think so. Dice-K is also not worth the money (amortinzing the $50M signing fee over the life of the contract), he's just far better than Lacking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not to say I Told Ya So, but ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Yes..Guilty as charged. But in my defense...Who hasnt wanted to get rid of Dice-K at one point or another over the last 4+ years ?
    At the end of the day, the only that matters is if you get better or not.  I don't object so much to people wanting to get rid of him so much as people having no plan for replacing him.  Personally, I wanted to trade him for value and use his salary as a down payment for Cliff Lee.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

That was always the question with me. who would replace him? There was no logical answer that I could think of. If he keeps pitching this way, at least he can earn the rest of his money. When he pitches the way he was advertised, as weve seen the last 2 starts, Dice can be one of the better pitchers in the league. I think that was the most frustrating part of it for RSN and Im sure him too. If he does continue to throw the ball the way he is, He will be a steal at 10mil the next 2 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I also didn't want to get rid of him. I've believed that Farrell and Francona messed with his routine and confused and frustrated him. He is beginning to look like an ace this year, two 1 hitters in a row is impressive. He's always been hard to hit, but the last 2 games have been unreal. Lets hope he continues to have success and that the coaches don't try to fix him. He isn't broken !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm with fizsh on this.  I don't believe I ever posted that it was time to get rid of Matsuzaka.  The question always was going to be:  who would take his spot in the rotation.  This year, I argued that none of the internal options were better, and I believe that to be true, even when Dice-K eventually returns to earth and pitches to a 3.5 - 4.0 ERA.  If he stays healthy, he is the best #5 in the league.  He may in fact be the 3rd best starter on the team, depending on whether Buchholz can find his groove or not.  Lackey is not as good a pitcher, and gets paid a great deal more (the posting fee IS NOT part of Dice-K's salary, and as I have said before, it is likely that the Sox more than made that money back--if they have not, they have written it off at tax time).

Kudos, Dice-K, for proving so many nay-sayers wrong.  Here's hoping your good run lasts a bit longer, and that your dominant games outnumber the ones you get shellacked in (which every pitcher does, now and then)!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

"Matsuzaka is the first Red Sox pitcher to have back-to-back outings of at least seven innings with only one hit allowed since Pedro Martinez turned the trick in 2002. The only other hurler to accomplish that feat in franchise history was Howard Ehmke in 1923."

I think i owe Dice K an apology.... I made predictions this season that may be a little off base because if he keeps pitching like this there is no way hes going to have a 3.58 ERA...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

He's going to have do a lot more than put in 2 good performances for me to be convinced he doesn't suck. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

Another excellent post from a loyal Sox fan "fir.eballer 58"

Thanks Bro!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

I've supported Dice K because he's perfectly fine as a No.5 starter. 10-14 wins a couple games above .500 and an era above 4 and enough starts to drive every RS fan crazy. 2 Great starts not changing my mind they just make up for the 1st 2 terrible ones. But w/ Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, and Lackey in front of him he's just fine. The more important part for me is that he gives team the ip's not the 5 ip starts which were becoming common place that wear out the pen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I was ready to trade Dice-K for Bob Stanley. Or Mike Torrez.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Dice K was billed as a top of the rotation starter coming here by the media, the Sox and by many hopeful fans.  The only way he could've lived up to the hype is if he had a Pedro-esque 3-4 year run.  His overall track record suggests that he will always be inconsistent.  As a fan you can either decide to live with the inconsistency and accept that he's not a bad option in the 4th or 5th slot, or you can keep holding your breath that he will magically transform into Pedro Martinez circa 2000. 

The fact that the Sox paid 50 mil to buy him from Japan raised the expectations big time.  Just like JD Drew.  Just like Carl Crawford.  Just like Lackey.  People see big contracts and dollar signs and expect otherworldly performances.  I've long ago stopped expecting Pedro or Pujols just because the Sox bring a guy here for big money.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

[QUOTE]I've supported Dice K because he's perfectly fine as a No.5 starter. 10-14 wins a couple games above .500 and an era above 4 and enough starts to drive every RS fan crazy. 2 Great starts not changing my mind they just make up for the 1st 2 terrible ones. But w/ Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, and Lackey in front of him he's just fine. The more important part for me is that he gives team the ip's not the 5 ip starts which were becoming common place that wear out the pen.
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]
    Wait  what? Since when is 5 innings 3 ers a terrible start? why dont you realize that he only had one bad start this season....

Sections
Shortcuts