you really think we could get Garza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

you really think we could get Garza

They are saying the three teams that are in the hunt for Garza are the yanks, Blue Jays and the Red Sox.  We got Bailey at with very little loss to our top prospects.  I would hate to lose 4 of our top propects but Ben may pull the trigger.  I think we need develope some these kids but Garza is one heck'va of a pitcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: you really think we could get Garza

In response to "you really think we could get Garza":
    They are saying the three teams that are in the hunt for Garza are the yanks, Blue Jays and the Red Sox.  We got Bailey at with very little loss to our top prospects.  I would hate to lose 4 of our top propects but Ben may pull the trigger.  I think we need develope some these kids but Garza is one heck'va of a pitcher. Posted by bigdog1
    The Bailey deal pretty much ended all Garza talks....no shot at this point

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Would you be willing to trade Ells straight up for Garza--both have two years of team control...

Why not?? We will not be front runners to sign Ells in two years--we may have a better shot of signing Garza in two years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Though Jasko thinks there's no chance,I'm of the opinion there's a chance and if the Cubbies and Theo are smart they make the trade with the Sox by getting one or two top prospects and saving any compensation for Theo's signing with the Cubbies. If they don't make the trade with the Sox then Cherrington needs too demand both Carpenter and McNutt as Compensation for Theo. Ball's in the Cubs court......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: you really think we could get Garza":
    Would you be willing to trade Ells straight up for Garza--both have two years of team control... Why not?? We will not be front runners to sign Ells in two years--we may have a better shot of signing Garza in two years. Posted by MadMc44
    How would this help the Sox? Youre trading arguably the most valuable hitter in the AL last year, a guy who also plays a key defensive position well, for someone who will be your 3 or 4 starter. It makes no sense. Why would the Cubs, who are in rebuild mode, trade a guy they can land some prospects for, prospects who they can control for more than 2 years, for 2 years of Ellsbury at big dollars? Makes zero sense for either team...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Though Jasko thinks there's no chance,I'm of the opinion there's a chance and if the Cubbies and Theo are smart they make the trade with the Sox by getting one or two top prospects and saving any compensation for Theo's signing with the Cubbies. If they don't make the trade with the Sox then Cherrington needs too demand both Carpenter and McNutt as Compensation for Theo. Ball's in the Cubs court...... Posted by sportsbozo1
    Give up the dream, Sportsbozo...Compensation for Theo will not be two of Chicago's better prospects, and certainly won't include Garza.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza:
    Would you be willing to trade Ells straight up for Garza--both have two years of team control... Why not?? We will not be front runners to sign Ells in two years--we may have a better shot of signing Garza in two years.
    Posted by MadMc44

I'd rather have Ells for two years than Garza.  In fact, I think Garza, absent a couple of decent years, and a good playoffs, doesn't really rock my world.  He's okay, but I expected him to light up the National league and he didn't.  He'd be what, our number 4 starter at best behind Beckett, Lester, and Buch.  Hey, I wouldn't mind getting him if the price was right, but Ells ain't that price IMHO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza : I'd rather have Ells for two years than Garza.  In fact, I think Garza, absent a couple of decent years, and a good playoffs, doesn't really rock my world.  He's okay, but I expected him to light up the National league and he didn't.  He'd be what, our number 4 starter at best behind Beckett, Lester, and Buch.  Hey, I wouldn't mind getting him if the price was right, but Ells ain't that price IMHO.
    Posted by gr82bme

Matt Garza ranked well ahead of all Red Sox pitchers last season in the WAR* standings (that are adjusted for league).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza : Matt Garza ranked well ahead of all Red Sox pitchers last season in the WAR* standings (that are adjusted for league). * Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Posted by hill55
    Still wouldn't trade Lester, Buchholz or Beckett straight up for him, and certainly not Ellsbury. He's a "good" pitcher and he'll help somebody, but he's not a "value" acquisition at this point. My guess is he ends up in Toronto...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dadairt666. Show Dadairt666's posts

Would you be willing to trade Ells straight up for Garza--both have two years of team control... Why not?? We will not be front runners to sign Ells in two years--we may have a better shot of signing Garza in two years.
    Posted by MadMc44

How about we keep Ells and trade Crawford straight up for Garza? I like that idea! 
    I think Crawford would do much better in an NL park far away from Boston as well. And we know it was Theo's man- love for Crawdaddy that brought him here in the first place. So I think it could get done if the Sox pushed for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

It would have been interesting when the new Cub GM and new Red Sox GM did not negotiate a compensation value for Theo leaving the Red Sox, if the former Owner of the Brewers Commissioner Bud Selig had had to make a decision.  At least Theo did not become the GM of the Brewers.  Don't know if the Selig family still own the Brewers, perhaps that would have been seen as a Conflict of Interest on the part of the Commissioner.  In any event, it has been suggested that John Henry did not want to make an issue out of compensation, some said because Mr. Henry respected Theo so much, some suggesting that Mr. Henry really did not want to force Commissioner Selig to make a difficult decision. In any event whether the Red Sox negotiate a trade for Marmol and/or Matt Garza, I seriously doubt the "compensation issue" will have much impact.  Maybe Mr. Henry has refrained from the "hardnosed" approach Mr. Lucchino might have preferred on the "GM compensation" dispute, because the Commssioner facilitated current ownership of the Red Sox and Mr. Henry contemporaneous sale of the Marlins to the former owner of the Montreal Expos.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza : I'd rather have Ells for two years than Garza.  In fact, I think Garza, absent a couple of decent years, and a good playoffs, doesn't really rock my world.  He's okay, but I expected him to light up the National league and he didn't.  He'd be what, our number 4 starter at best behind Beckett, Lester, and Buch.  Hey, I wouldn't mind getting him if the price was right, but Ells ain't that price IMHO.
    Posted by gr82bme

Well put, I completely agree.  The guy's a decent pitcher even if he does spit way too much; has a tendency to be overly emotional when he feels like the umps are squeezing him.  He'd be a decent 4th or 5th SP but I also wonder how he'd perform consistently under the Boston microscope.  The guy had a hard time in St. Pete & eventually had to see a sports psychologist after a few mound implosions.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It's not my dream Jasko! You don't know what the sox will receive for compensation for Theo's defection nor do i but if it goes to the Commissioner then the only precedent is the recent one where the Fish had too give The White Sox two top tier prospects for Ozzie. So I'm basing my opinion on that and not your opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to "Re: you really think we could get Garza": Still wouldn't trade Lester, Buchholz or Beckett straight up for him, and certainly not Ellsbury. He's a "good" pitcher and he'll help somebody, but he's not a "value" acquisition at this point. My guess is he ends up in Toronto...
    Posted by jasko2248

Ells had a great year and we missed the playoffs. Two years ago he was hurt and we missed the playoffs. 

Good Pitching beats good hitting almost always. hill has the WAR--looks good.

Garza is a better pitcher than Buch. I would rank: Lester, Garza, Beckett, Buch, Doubrount and Wilson.

Imagine how good the starters would feel knowing you've got Aceves, Albers, Bailey, Bard, Jenks, Melancon and Morales from the 6 th if need be, on?

We have the makings of a stacked Pen--keeping Bard and Aceves in the pen only makes it stronger. I say add Garza--maybe you keep Ells and deal prospects--might mean you lose some of --Ranaudo, Middlebrooks, Wilson, Bogaerts, Kalish.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza : How about we keep Ells and trade Crawford straight up for Garza? I like that idea!  I think Crawford would do much better in an NL park far away from Boston as well. And we know it was Theo's man- love for Crawdaddy that brought him here in the first place. So I think it could get done if the Sox pushed for it.
    Posted by Dadairt666

i think this is the most stupid thing i've heard....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

and for anybody to say we can't trade for garza is just silly...we have prospects to get this deal done without killing our farm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

It's not my dream Jasko! You don't know what the sox will receive for compensation for Theo's defection nor do i but if it goes to the Commissioner then the only precedent is the recent one where the Fish had too give The White Sox two top tier prospects for Ozzie. So I'm basing my opinion on that and not your opinion. Posted by sportsbozo1
    The Ozzie situation was completely different and the Commissioner thought that the WhiteSox and Marlins set a bad precedent, making it difficult for baseball execs to take new jobs. It won't happen again. The Sox will not receive two top prospects, that much I do know. You have every right to your opinion, I was just trying to explain that there is no way we are getting Garza at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

and for anybody to say we can't trade for garza is just silly...we have prospects to get this deal done without killing our farm. Posted by raider3524
    Whether or not we have the prospects is irrelevant. Of course we do, but we are not going over the cap for Garza at this point. No chance...for lots of reasons...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Whatever Jasko! You seem to be the typical no it all. When does you r contract as Cherringtons adviser go into effect? I hope they get the Two top picks but if they don't it'll be a shame. Theo was tampered with and compensation is due,if I'm the sox I don't ask politely I demand adamently.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: you really think we could get Garza : Ells had a great year and we missed the playoffs. Two years ago he was hurt and we missed the playoffs.  Good Pitching beats good hitting almost always. hill has the WAR--looks good. Garza is a better pitcher than Buch. I would rank: Lester, Garza, Beckett, Buch, Doubrount and Wilson. Imagine how good the starters would feel knowing you've got Aceves, Albers, Bailey, Bard, Jenks, Melancon and Morales from the 6 th if need be, on? We have the makings of a stacked Pen--keeping Bard and Aceves in the pen only makes it stronger. I say add Garza--maybe you keep Ells and deal prospects--might mean you lose some of --Ranaudo, Middlebrooks, Wilson, Bogaerts, Kalish. Posted by MadMc44
    Madmc, this isnt fantasy baseball. Bard and Aceves want opportunities to start. They don't want to be in the bullpen. This isn't little league, where you "tell" a player where hes playing. Why is this hard to grasp. They've earned a shot in the rotation. By reading your posts, I'll guess your a teenager who doesn't understand the "business" side of baseball at all, which is fine, but you post in "absolutes" sometimes when you have no idea what you are talking about...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Whatever Jasko! You seem to be the typical no it all. When does you r contract as Cherringtons adviser go into effect? I hope they get the Two top picks but if they don't it'll be a shame. Theo was tampered with and compensation is due,if I'm the sox I don't ask politely I demand adamently. Posted by sportsbozo1
    You are entitled to your opinion, but don't hold your breath waiting for those prospects. By the way Theo wasn't tampered with in any way, but don't let facts get in the way of your posts, you clearly never do.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to "Re: you really think we could get Garza": Madmc, this isnt fantasy baseball. Bard and Aceves want opportunities to start. They don't want to be in the bullpen. This isn't little league, where you "tell" a player where hes playing. Why is this hard to grasp. They've earned a shot in the rotation. By reading your posts, I'll guess your a teenager who doesn't understand the "business" side of baseball at all, which is fine, but you post in "absolutes" sometimes when you have no idea what you are talking about...
    Posted by jasko2248

Good for Bard and Aceves--they want to start--that's probably the goal of most young pitchers. Last I knew baseball was a team sport and the players do what's best for the team. The egos of Beckett and Lester got in the way of the team goals last Sept.--I heard that Bard said he would do what the team felt helped the team the most. 
    You're right Jasko--I don't understand the business side of baseball---I'm not being paid to do Ben's job but I do enjoy the forum and most of the people that contribute.
    I wish I could sometimes go back to those teenage years. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

this say's we are going to have money for a starter....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/ this say's we are going to have money for a starter.... Posted by raider3524
    Never implied that they didn't have money for a starter...I stated that they are out of the running for GARZA for many reasons, one of which is his contract. I fully expect them to add rotation depth, but at bargain prices, as I've posted several times. Pretty sure that's what the article implies as did Ben's phone interview today...

Sections
Shortcuts