You Would Think this Might be the One Year......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

You Would Think this Might be the One Year......

2008 seems like a long time ago. I was really banking the Yankees would go flat or even fall apart this season. I really thought this would be one of those rare years, a Yankee-less play-off's; more importantly a no Yankee WS.

They are old, I have been throwing that comment at them for two years now. The biggest free agent Cliff Lee said no, the ones they did sign have been abysmal. 

AJ Burnett is having a complete meltdown, the Red Sox own Sabathia, Phil Hughes has been disappointing, and Petite is long gone. Offensively ARod has been away for a number of games and has not been the ARod of old. Posada is on his last legs, Jeter had some backlash from the fans early on, and I cannot recall the last time I saw Texiera's name in any glory headline of significance.

How in the heck is this team playing .600 ball? They have played at this level since the first week of the season.

Our players climbed out of a fairly large team-made ditch to get to where they (we) are today only to see the Yankees raise the mound a little higher.

I am not like many here, I do not want to face the Yankees in the play-offs every year.... I want them long gone and buried in the A.L basement. 

Signed -

Disheartened Red Sox fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year......

You hit the nail on the head. Just as the Rex Ryan has said that someone other than the Jets have to beat the Pats, someone other than the Sox has to beat the Yankees. We own Sabathia, Mariano , we have always hit him better than any team in baseball. Texiera never hits the Sox, even Cano seems to struggle against Boston.

Go figure, I can't , whatever it is we have their number. Problem is we don't have Texas' number and most likely that is who the Sox will face in October, first round. They don't match up well against the Rangers pitching staff, and the Rangers have a great hitting lineup. If the Sox beat the Rangers then they can beat the Yanks.

CJ Wilson, Harrison, Stafford, Lewis . Three Lefties, Crawford will not be able to hide, Ortiz will see nothing but curve balls, Gonzo, the singles hitter, what's with this guy. Ellsbury has more homers than Gonzo. 

They are right there, so as I said they must be doing something right, hopefully the smoke and mirrors , don't drift away or break. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

They're playing .600 ball because some RS fans often underrate them; it is true, the RS were the early season favorites; when I pointed out they were only slight favorites (at least according to Vegas) I was berated for this; or as a knowledgeable RS fan once told me a couple of seasons ago when I thought the Yankees were done, "Never count the Yankees out". Therein is the lesson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't think they were underated at all... they may be playing some of their best ball in a decade based on all the facts that they SHOULD NOT be this good.

I am not saying they have over-achieved of course....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

A MFYF perspective.

I would say that I had some concerns in the first 6 weeks based on the fact that Hughes was not right, but I always felt the offense was there and easily the equal to the Sox. Even with an aging Jeter and A-Rod, they still have one of the top 5 hitters in all of baseball (Cano) and I was one who believed that you could get these kinds of numbers from Grandy just based on his natural ability and his willingness to learn and get even better. Tex is still an awesome power hitter and although not like last year, Swish was going to give you 20+ HR's and 75 rbi's.

Pitching wise, I always trust Mo and I knew Robertson was this good. CC will give you his thing and thankfully Garcia has mastered the art of painting the corners. Nova has been a splendid surprise, but I am not shocked. He had the stuff last year, he just needed to mature.  I think Martin has a lot to do with the stabilizing of the staff.

Now if they can just find a way to rid themselves of AJ, then I would be very confident going into the post season with this team.

If a high payroll does anything, it gives you depth. The Yanks have overcome a lot of lost games due to injury and I think they will start to get even better in the last 6 weeks of the season.

But then I could be wrong about it all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

The answer you seek lies in the dugout. Look no further than the on field commander position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I would think that most of the pundits would agree that Colon, Garcia, Robertson, and Granderson have overachieved this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeyinthebronx2. Show Mikeyinthebronx2's posts

In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year......:
    [QUOTE]I would think that most of the pundits would agree that Colon, Garcia, Robertson, and Granderson have overachieved this year.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Colon and Garcia have overachieved.....Robertson is absolutely filthy and Granderson is a heck of a player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know if the Yankees can win it all but they have been consistently good all season.... ratts.

jesseyeric like Lackey here the Yankees can rid themselves of Burnett for the post-season, leave him off the roster.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I would think that most of the pundits would agree that Colon, Garcia, Robertson, and Granderson have overachieved this year.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

You are misinformed about Robertson, and to some degree about Granderson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Did anyone think of giving Girardi and Cashman credit?  Both right at the top this year IMO.  This praise for the evil Yankees doesn't stop me from smiling everytime Tex gets hit in the back with a good fastball though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sox have had injuries to: Youkilis (plays hurt), Ortiz, Drew, Buchholz, Dice-K, Jenks, Scutaro (plays hurt), Lowrie, and various DL stints for Lackey, Wheeler. Take the injuries away and then factor in the horrible production by CC, the drop off in Youks numbers, and AGON's poor 2nd half, and you have a team that went from nearly running away with things to probable wild card. And that means they make the playoffs, so no worries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Sox have had injuries to: Youkilis (plays hurt), Ortiz, Drew, Buchholz, Dice-K, Jenks, Scutaro (plays hurt), Lowrie, and various DL stints for Lackey, Wheeler. Take the injuries away and then factor in the horrible production by CC, the drop off in Youks numbers, and AGON's poor 2nd half, and you have a team that went from nearly running away with things to probable wild card. And that means they make the playoffs, so no worries.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you regarding Youk's dropoff, Agon's poor 2nd half (so far) and Crawford's dismal showing. Hopefully they turn things around.  As far as injuries, all teams have to deal with them. It's a part of the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Phil - Robertson - over achieving? I think not!

Danny - when were the Sox ever threatening to run away with it? I must have missed that week. And you canot factor in poor production by Crawford. I guarantee that most teams have under achieving players.

Burrito - I would like to see the Yanks just be rid of AJ completely. He is a nut job who cannot seem to get out of his own way. What a shame considering his actual skill set.

I remember 2008 when it seemed every game he pitched for the Jays against the Yanks, he threw a shut-out or one run game. I think Cash fell in love with that small sample and didn't look at the fact that he was never more than a .500 pitcher with an ERA /> 4.00.

Here is hoping for a Boston/NY ALCS. At least this baseball fan is rooting for this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Thread was about the Yankees until it went off on a tangent there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

how come Colon isn't being investigated??......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Nova is 13-4 -- that's one big reason.  And their bullpen has been spectacular.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As any good Sox fan, I hate the Yankees, but you have to respect the job they have done this year....from the GM down to the Manager and on to the team. They have only made two mistakes this year IMO, one....sending Nova down...which luckily for them was quickly rectifed.....and two sticking with Burnett....which I think will be rectified by the time they do their playoff Roster. All that said....I know that we can beat them....We have been on CC all year...we have hit Hughes...Colon and Garcia.....we have touched up Mariano(I would use the term own)....and our pitchers have fared well against their best hitters.....but if the 4 AL playoff teams are us, the Yanks, Texas and Detroit...it is really a Tossup who makes the ALCS, because in a 5 game series all of those teams have enough pitching....and they all can hit. one, two three and five in Runs Scored in the AL and top 4 in Batting Average. ....might as well sit back and enjoy the ride, because the destination may not be where you want to end up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

This year and 2008 are very different for many reasons.

1. The Yankees didn't have an ace in 2008. Wang, who was more a very good #2, was the closest thing and he was hurt in June. In 2011, the Yankees have one of the game's best pitchers as their ace in CC Sabathia.
    2. Cano had a terrible year, so bad that it eventually led to him being benched. For the last few years, Cano has lived up to his hype and potential and has grown into a superstar.
    3. The Yankees went into the year relying too much on the highly inexperienced Hughes and Kennedy to be a big part of their rotation. The end result was a comined 0 wins between the two of them for the first 5 months of the season. They didn't have anything near an Ivan Nova that year.
    4. They didn't have a star 1B in his prime like Teixeira. In fact, they were so desperate they went out and gave Richie Sexson a look. LOL.
    5. Their set up relief consisted of Veras and Farnsworth, a far cry from Robertson and Soriano.
    6. A-Rod may have been three years younger, but he spent significant time on the DL that year too if I'm not mistaken.
    7. The biggest difference is the outfield though. They were dealing with Damon, Abreu, and Matsui who were all on their last legs. They had an awful defensive outfield with declining offensive former AllStars. Now they have a much younger, athletic, and productive outfield. Gardner is a speedster who has shown he can hit a little and is very good in the field. Granderson has become a superstar player with power, speed, and defense. He's also in his prime and is an MVP candidate. Swisher is streaky, but he's a very solid run producer and he brings some fun to the clubhouse.
    All in all, the 2011 team is much better than the 2008 team. I could've told you all of this before the season. You think this team is old? That team was older and was a clubhouse in shambles. Not to mention Girardi was in his first year as manager and was noticeably unpolished at the time. He's come a long way in these last few years and so have the Yankees in the age department.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

sday4x4 - I believe MLB has inquired into the surgery that Colon had but I am not sure how far or deep that went. In the meantime, I am sure Colon has taken all the mandatory tests. What more can MLB do? At least for now, you cannot do something because a player is having an amazing bounce back and you suspect that there may have been something fishy with the surgery/procedure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Granderson has high potential. Ellsbury is a total fluke who is still vastly inferior to Granderson.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Sox have had injuries to: Youkilis (plays hurt), Ortiz, Drew, Buchholz, Dice-K, Jenks, Scutaro (plays hurt), Lowrie, and various DL stints for Lackey, Wheeler. Take the injuries away and then factor in the horrible production by CC, the drop off in Youks numbers, and AGON's poor 2nd half, and you have a team that went from nearly running away with things to probable wild card. And that means they make the playoffs, so no worries.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

When the Yankees were decimated earlier in the year, RS posters said "tough luck, it's part of the game, every team has them". Which is pretty much true. The year before, RS posters ridiculed the Yankees' age, predicting a ton of injuries. We saw how that turned out. Ditto this yr, and when some pointed out the RS were no spring chickens either, it was poo-pooed again.  Now follow your own advise.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I really hope Bartolo is clean jessey because he's been such a great story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I really hope Bartolo is clean jessey because he's been such a great story.
    Posted by PhilTheAce[/QUOTE]season are be

I agree Phil, but nothing in baseball shocks me anymore and to be honest, I am not sure if I even care. Either way, I think the IP so far are beginning to wear on him a bit.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to You Would Think this Might be the One Year......:
    [QUOTE]2008 seems like a long time ago. I was really banking the Yankees would go flat or even fall apart this season. I really thought this would be one of those rare years, a Yankee-less play-off's; more importantly a no Yankee WS. They are old, I have been throwing that comment at them for two years now. The biggest free agent Cliff Lee said no, the ones they did sign have been abysmal.  AJ Burnett is having a complete meltdown, the Red Sox own Sabathia, Phil Hughes has been disappointing, and Petite is long gone. Offensively ARod has been away for a number of games and has not been the ARod of old. Posada is on his last legs, Jeter had some backlash from the fans early on, and I cannot recall the last time I saw Texiera's name in any glory headline of significance. How in the

heck is this team playing .600 ball?
    They have played at this level since the first week of the season. Our players climbed out of a fairly large team-made ditch to get to where they (we) are today only to see the Yankees raise the mound a little higher. I am not like many here, I do not want to face the Yankees in the play-offs every year.... I want them long gone and buried in the A.L basement.  Signed - Disheartened Red Sox fan.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

P  I  T  C  H  I  N  G