You Would Think this Might be the One Year......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ..>)The-Babe(<... Show ..>)The-Babe(<..'s posts

Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year......

In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : P  I  T  C  H  I  N  G

Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

and H I T T I N G

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : P  I  T  C  H  I  N  G
    true, but how in the heck do they have pitching?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : true, but how in the heck do they have pitching?
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

CC  17-7  2.96 ERA
    Colon: 8-7  3.54 ERA
    Nova: 13-4  3.97 ERA
    Garcia: 10-7  3.24 ERA

MO
    Robertson: 1.24 ERA  33 H  50 IP
    Ayala:       1.32 ERA
    Logan:      2.84 ERA
    Wade:       2.19 ERA
    Pendelton: 3.21 ERA

They have Soriano/Hughes/Burnett for depth.

That and the fact their revenue allows them first choice to sign the game's best talent is why they are where they are.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ..>The--Babe<... Show ..>The--Babe<..'s posts

and H I T T I N G

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

How do the Yankees compare in all of the offensive categories compared to the Red Sox?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

NY plays in a hitting venue, which is why their pitching is more predominant.

NY road #'s are more reflective of their true ability: .264 BA  .342 OBP. 778 OPS

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think they were underated at all... they may be playing some of their best ball in a decade based on all the facts that they SHOULD NOT be this good. I am not saying they have over-achieved of course....
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I thought, in April, the only way they could win was if they made an inseason deal for a top pitcher. They didn't, but here they are: playing great ball.

Yes, I have argued the Yanks are getting old. They are!

I don't think anyone saw Garcia and Colon doing this well.

One of the biggest reasons I thought TB would "not go away" was that I felt the Yanks would decline without further moves and deals.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ..>The--Babe<... Show ..>The--Babe<..'s posts

[QUOTE]NY plays in a hitting venue, which is why their pitching is more predominant. NY road #'s are more reflective of their true ability: .264 BA  .342 OBP. 778 OPS

So the red sawx play in a pitcher's park?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : CC  17-7  2.96 ERA Colon: 8-7  3.54 ERA Nova: 13-4  3.97 ERA Garcia: 10-7  3.24 ERA MO Robertson: 1.24 ERA  33 H  50 IP Ayala:       1.32 ERA Logan:      2.84 ERA Wade:       2.19 ERA Pendelton: 3.21 ERA They have Soriano/Hughes/Burnett for depth. That and the fact their revenue allows them first choice to sign the game's best talent is why they are where they are.

Perhaps this discussion belongs in the Realistic thread. I believe at the beginning of the year, the RS were slight favorites (and Vegas agreed); this apparently did not register with some here, who felt they were prohibitive favorites. Couple that with Cashman doing well from the pitching scrap heap (a surprise to me, 'cause I always felt Cashman was awful), Crawford not so far living up to expectations, the recent RS injury bug, and here we are.

(BTW, you think it's a coincidence that Crawford, Werth, Bay, Lackey, Wells, Burnett & others have had these major meltdowns after signing their fat cat contracts? I don't; I also believe Theo signing Crawford was a knee jerk reaction partly based on his fear he would sign with the Yankees; as FDR said about fear...)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Your last two posts
    NYY play in a hitters venue
    Red Sox play in a hitters venue

Please now compare the two offenses side by side on all of the stats.
    Thank you, Sherlock

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : I agree 100%. I thought, in April, the only way they could win was if they made an inseason deal for a top pitcher. They didn't, but here they are: playing great ball. Yes, I have argued the Yanks are getting old. They are! I don't think anyone saw Garcia and Colon doing this well. One of the biggest reasons I thought TB would "not go away" was that I felt the Yanks would decline without further moves and deals.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon - they are above 35 in two everyday positions & one of them is a first ballot HoFer. Posada has already been fazed out. Colon and Garcia have been finds - granted, but very cheap. That is what a GM is supposed to do. Fill the holes the best you can.

And it doesn't matter how old they are, their offense was easily the equal to Boston's. They had a stronger pen going into the season and they found starting pitching. They also in general, run the bases very well and have over 120 team stolen bases. They have over come lengthy DL stints and grind out games for 9 innings.

It is a good team, well run and plenty of resources. I did not think Tampa had the horses to even stay close to NY or Boston this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

...that the Red Sox would win the AL East.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ..>The--Babe<... Show ..>The--Babe<..'s posts

[QUOTE]Your last two posts NYY play in a hitters venue Red Sox play in a hitters venue Please now compare the two offenses side by side on all of the stats. Thank you, Sherlock

Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Hi phil...errr...I mean pike.

So how does it work, when phil can't stop the trolls he jumps into the phone booth and comes out as your-echo, super troll police?

How long till kimsaysthis shows up in the invisible airplane?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Did anyone think of giving Girardi and Cashman credit?  Both right at the top this year IMO.  This praise for the evil Yankees doesn't stop me from smiling everytime Tex gets hit in the back with a good fastball though.
    Posted by frankn[/QUOTE]

Cashman gets zero credit. Any GM in baseball can do what he does with a blank checkbook.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

"I remember 2008 when it seemed every game he pitched for the Jays against the Yanks, he threw a shut-out or one run game. I think Cash fell in love with that small sample and didn't look at the fact that he was never more than a .500 pitcher with an ERA /> 4.00." jesseyeric

I think if you look back you will know why 2008 was so good from AJ's perspective, a contract year. Happens a lot.  After basically falling short for the Jays for a number of seasons he stepped up when he had to, for him.

And to ad... as I said I do not think NY has overachieved but they have certainly played to their best ability... I do not want to use the word "respect" but you almost have to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

[QUOTE]

NY plays in a hitting venue, which is why their pitching is more predominant. NY road #'s are more reflective of their true ability: .264 BA  .342 OBP. 778 OPS

Yet they somehow enjoy the best road mark in the league.

EASTWLPCTGBHOMEROADRSRADIFFSTRKL10
    NY Yankees7748.616-40-2437-24675487+188Won 17-3
    Boston7750.606138-2439-26670530+140Lost 14-6

Be very, very, very thankful that the Red Sox are up 10-2 against the Yankees in head to head action. A simple return to the norm in that category would have the Yankees running away with the division and the Red Sox trailing the Rays at this point.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Your last two posts NYY play in a hitters venue Red Sox play in a hitters venue Please now compare the two offenses side by side on all of the stats. Thank you, Sherlock
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

Boston hits better in Fenway than NY does in NY.
    Ny hits better on the road.
    One could conclude Fenway is a better park for hitters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

[QUOTE]

"I  remember 2008 when it seemed every game he pitched for the Jays against the Yanks, he threw a shut-out or one run game. I think Cash fell in love with that small sample and didn't look at the fact that he was never more than a .500 pitcher with an ERA /> 4.00." 

jesseyeric I think if you look back you will know why 2008 was so good from AJ's perspective, a contract year. Happens a lot.  After basically falling short for the Jays for a number of seasons he stepped up when he had to, for him.

Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

The fact that he dominated the Red Sox in 08 was the key factor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : Yet they somehow enjoy the best road mark in the league. EAST W L PCT GB HOME ROAD RS RA DIFF STRK L10 NY Yankees 77 48 .616 - 40-24 37-24 675 487 +188 Won 1 7-3 Boston 77 50 .606 1 38-24 39-26 670 530 +140 Lost 1 4-6 Be very, very, very thankful that the Red Sox are up 10-2 against the Yankees in head to head action. A simple return to the norm in that category would have the Yankees running away with the division and the Red Sox trailing the Rays at this point.  
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

To repeat: NY is where they are primarily due to P I T C H IN G.

But they don't match up well with Boston.
    You better hope the two don't meet in October.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moremo. Show moremo's posts

[QUOTE]

To repeat: NY is where they are primarily due to P I T C H IN G. But they don't match up well with Boston. You better hope the two don't meet in October.

The fact that they now lead the league in runs scored, thanks to having the top 2 RBI guys in the game, and 3 of the top 4, none of which is Arod, along with leading the league in both HR's and stolen bases sure seems not to make them one dimensional.

With baseball being baseball, beginning a post season series at 0-0 probably wouldn't much bother the Yankees, no matter the team in the opposing dugout.

Of course for the Red Sox to move forward, they would first have to win a game in the post season, which they have been unable to accomplish since 08, and then maybe they could try to capture a series in order to lineup with the Yankees, should that pinstriped team advance to the ALCS.

Arod might probably be warmed up by then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : To repeat: NY is where they are primarily due to P I T C H IN G. But they don't match up well with Boston. You better hope the two don't meet in October.

Yes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]sday4x4 - I believe MLB has inquired into the surgery that Colon had but I am not sure how far or deep that went. In the meantime, I am sure Colon has taken all the mandatory tests. What more can MLB do? At least for now, you cannot do something because a player is having an amazing bounce back and you suspect that there may have been something fishy with the surgery/procedure.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

the surgery he had and stem cell procedure goes along with hgh. that is teh part that any yankee disliker may have a problem wiht. the dr, who gives hgh in all these precedures as part of the protocol, says he didnt with colon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : the surgery he had and stem cell procedure goes along with hgh. that is teh part that any yankee disliker may have a problem wiht. the dr, who gives hgh in all these precedures as part of the protocol, says he didnt with colon.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I have read that and it certainly gives pause for concern. I know MLB has done some looking into it, but I just don't know how extensive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : The fact that they now lead the league in runs scored, thanks to having the top 2 RBI guys in the game, and 3 of the top 4, none of which is Arod, along with leading the league in both HR's and stolen bases sure seems not to make them one dimensional.With baseball being baseball, beginning a post season series at 0-0 probably wouldn't much bother the Yankees, no matter the team in the opposing dugout. Of course for the Red Sox to move forward, they would first have to win a game in the post season, which they have been unable to accomplish since 08, and then maybe they could try to capture a series in order to lineup with the Yankees, should that pinstriped team advance to the ALCS. Arod might probably be warmed up by then.
    Posted by moremo[/QUOTE]

Never did I say NY was one-dimensional. I said they don't match-up well vs. Boston. And if you think that's not a concern moving forward, you are delusional.
    2008, 2009, 2010 matters not. It's about 2011, and NY's ace can't beat Boston.
    Only Nova has a win against the RedSox and this is August.
    Nova will no longer be the unknown the next time they meet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: You Would Think this Might be the One Year...... : the surgery he had and stem cell procedure goes along with hgh. that is teh part that any yankee disliker may have a problem wiht. the dr, who gives hgh in all these precedures as part of the protocol, says he didnt with colon.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Clearly, a guy in his physical condition did not just bounce back to become some super pitcher. lol You'll never get a Yankee fan to admit there's something up with that. Saying MLB looked into it, is hilarious. That guy, IMO, should be out of the games. Nothing could be more obvious. If you're expected to give a medical history and exclude sugery on your arm, I'm not sure why they have a problem pulling him. That must go against some rules in MLB, or else that just means everyone else should be able to lie about any medical care they received. IMO they will just drag it out long enough for him to continue pitching.

One of the many reasons I don't like the Yankees. They cheat, and they know it.