Youk may be done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Youk may be done

The only reason is that Youk and Pedey never give up. Youk is the older of the 2 and it looks like, even at a relatively young age, his skills have busted up because of the way he plays. If we had all 8 position players work as hard as those 2 guys, we would be a lock to go all the way. No doubt he will come back. He hit around .300  for the first half, but his hard work ethic may have done him in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Re: Youk may be done

Sports hernia hard to play through.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

This team has to give Middlebrooks a shot.  They aren't winning anything with Jed Lowrie in that lineup everyday.  I'd even prefer Aviles over Lowrie.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

..that would require franc+beans to actually do something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff185. Show jeff185's posts

i would rather see lackey at 3rd then lowrie. lowrie sucks!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Youk may be done:
    [QUOTE]i would rather see lackey at 3rd then lowrie. lowrie sucks!!!!
    Posted by jeff185[/QUOTE]

Or how about Aviles?  Theo traded for this guy for a reason.  Lowrie just isn't doing anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]i would rather see lackey at 3rd then lowrie. lowrie sucks!!!!
    Posted by jeff185[/QUOTE]

I only prefer that if Lowrie is on the mound during Lackey's turn...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]This team has to give Middlebrooks a shot.  They aren't winning anything with Jed Lowrie in that lineup everyday.  I'd even prefer Aviles over Lowrie.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Lowrie has been a real dissapointment but Middlebrooks isn't any more ready than Weiland is to pitch in the majors.  Like I said our team has had more medical issues to starting players than any team in baseball the past two years and I don't believe it's just bad luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Lowrie has been a real dissapointment but Middlebrooks isn't any more ready than Weiland is to pitch in the majors.  Like I said our team has had more medical issues to starting players than any team in baseball the past two years and I don't believe it's just bad luck.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

It's not.  Some of it is not being smart.

Why a team with medical issues on their starting rotation would inquire about Rich Harden and Erik Bedard is beyond me.  Maybe they figured this was all they could afford, and the 3-4 starts each gives before breaking might be worth it?  But this looked like more of the same.  I mean how did that conversation go. 

"We need an experienced starting pitcher to replace an injured Daisuke." 
    "Try Harden and Bedard.  They're experienced at being injured."

This is akin to all those 1970's home safety tactics.

"Hey, this asbestos in my walls could be unhealthy for my children."
    "I'll just cover it up with some lead paint."

Moving Ellsbury to LF was actually a smart move, as that typically is a less stressful move for an OF, assuming the 3B is someone other than Adrian Beltre.  Moving a 31yo 1B to 3B was just not a good idea.  I don't care how much 3B Youk played in college and the minors; knowledge and experience were not what people who advised against this were worried about.  This was not a smart move.  (Or maybe, not a smart consequence of getting Adrian Gonzalez.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : It's not.  Some of it is not being smart. Why a team with medical issues on their starting rotation would inquire about Rich Harden and Erik Bedard is beyond me.  Maybe they figured this was all they could afford, and the 3-4 starts each gives before breaking might be worth it?  But this looked like more of the same.  I mean how did that conversation go.  "We need an experienced starting pitcher to replace an injured Daisuke."  "Try Harden and Bedard.  They're experienced at being injured." This is akin to all those 1970's home safety tactics. "Hey, this asbestos in my walls could be unhealthy for my children." "I'll just cover it up with some lead paint." Moving Ellsbury to LF was actually a smart move, as that typically is a less stressful move for an OF, assuming the 3B is someone other than Adrian Beltre.  Moving a 31yo 1B to 3B was just not a good idea.  I don't care how much 3B Youk played in college and the minors; knowledge and experience were not what people who advised against this were worried about.  This was not a smart move.  (Or maybe, not a smart consequence of getting Adrian Gonzalez.)
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

How about a forward-looking question.  Do you not re-sign Ortiz so that you can DH Youkilis for the final 2 years of his deal (that is, if the Sox pick up his 2013 option)?  Do you re-sign Papi and gamble with Youk at 3B again next season?

I just get how moving from 1B to 3B made him that much more injury prone.  I just don't get it.

Before signing or re-signing players this offseason, step 1 should be to remove the entire medical staff as well as the conditioning coaches.  These injuries have been absolutely inexcusable not to mention handled horrendously.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Lowrie has been a real dissapointment but Middlebrooks isn't any more ready than Weiland is to pitch in the majors.  Like I said our team has had more medical issues to starting players than any team in baseball the past two years and I don't believe it's just bad luck.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Lowrie is just terrible.  Brings absolutely nothing to the table.  He should begin next season in AAA because that's the kind of ballplayer he's turning out to be.

I also don't get why Theo pencil's this guy in high up in the lineup let alone pencils him in at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : How about a forward-looking question.  Do you not re-sign Ortiz so that you can DH Youkilis for the final 2 years of his deal (that is, if the Sox pick up his 2013 option)?  Do you re-sign Papi and gamble with Youk at 3B again next season? I just get how moving from 1B to 3B made him that much more injury prone.  I just don't get it. Before signing or re-signing players this offseason, step 1 should be to remove the entire medical staff as well as the conditioning coaches.  These injuries have been absolutely inexcusable not to mention handled horrendously.

It did not make him more injury prone.  It put an already injury prone player at a position of greater risk.

I would love Youkilis to DH next season, occasionally spelling Gonzalez at 1B and whoever at 3B.  That does create a major problem for Papi, however.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Lowrie is just terrible.  Brings absolutely nothing to the table.  He should begin next season in AAA because that's the kind of ballplayer he's turning out to be. I also don't get why Theo pencil's this guy in high up in the lineup let alone pencils him in at all.

Theo doesn't make lineups.

The issue with Lowrie isn't what he as done since April.  The issue is that last season, he actually did do very well in this same role as "last man standing."

No one, except for Softy, was saying Lowrie was awful last season.  And Softy would have said Jed was useless if Lowrie saved the whales while curing cancer.

The truth is, there is a Jed Lowrie that is halfway between the 2010 one and the 2011 one, and that is the player you have to see if you can live with.  Because that is likely what he will be when he breaks out of his slump.  .276 / .337 /.429 sound about right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : It did not make him more injury prone.  It put an already injury prone player at a position of greater risk. I would love Youkilis to DH next season, occasionally spelling Gonzalez at 1B and whoever at 3B.  That does create a major problem for Papi, however.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Perhaps make a run at Aramis Ramirez?  He had a great year though so I'm sure he'll be looking for 3 years with big money.  Let Ortiz walk and shift Youk to DH. 

Either way, it will be a huge mistake to allow Youk to be the everday 3B again next season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Theo doesn't make lineups. The issue with Lowrie isn't what he as done since April.  The issue is that last season, he actually did do very well in this same role as "last man standing." No one, except for Softy, was saying Lowrie was awful last season.  And Softy would have said owrie was useless if Lowrie saved the whales while curing cancer. The truth is, there is a Jed Lowrie that is halfway between the 2010 one and the 2011 one, and that is the player you have to see if you can live with.  Because that is likely what he will be when he breaks out of his slump.  .276 / .337 /.429 sound about right?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I meant to type Tito.

I'm sorry but .276 doesn't sound about right.  .255 sounds about right because that's his career average.  That would cut it if he had power but he doesn't.  To top it all off, he's a poor fielder.

What Lowrie is is a guy that tends to start hot and fade fast.  He's also a guy  that tends to hit lazy fly balls.

Lowrie shouldn't be a key piece to the 2012 Red Sox.  If he's the utility guy, so be it.  If Scutaro leaves, the Sox better have a better plan at SS than Lowrie.  If Youk takes over DH, the Sox better have a better plan at 3B than Lowrie.  I get that Youkilis is hurt, but Lowrie has been a total non-factor and I'm starting to believe that it's more than just a slump.  He's a ballplayer that quite frankly isn't all that good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Perhaps make a run at Aramis Ramirez?  He had a great year though so I'm sure he'll be looking for 3 years with big money.  Let Ortiz walk and shift Youk to DH.  Either way, it will be a huge mistake to allow Youk to be the everday 3B again next season.

ARamis Ramirez is not exactly the cure for injuured third basemen.  And he is certainly not the cure for a team that could not get going in April.

He also did NOT have a great year.  He did have a great August, and a pretty good June and July. However his OPS this season is the lowest it has been since 2003, not counting his abysmal 2010.  He has seen 2009 and 2010 cut very short by injuries. In his last two seasons, he has posted the two lowest OPS splits in his last 9 years.  And then he bounced back for a few months during an option year.

And he will be 34 next June.

Pass on all counts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : I meant to type Tito. I'm sorry but .276 doesn't sound about right.  .255 sounds about right because that's his career average.  That would cut it if he had power but he doesn't.  To top it all off, he's a poor fielder. What Lowrie is is a guy that tends to start hot and fade fast.  He's also a guy  that tends to hit lazy fly balls. Lowrie shouldn't be a key piece to the 2012 Red Sox.  If he's the utility guy, so be it.  If Scutaro leaves, the Sox better have a better plan at SS than Lowrie.  If Youk takes over DH, the Sox better have a better plan at 3B than Lowrie.  I get that Youkilis is hurt, but Lowrie has been a total non-factor and I'm starting to believe that it's more than just a slump.  He's a ballplayer that quite frankly isn't all that good.

His career average is reduced by the injury plagued 2009 season, when he just kept hurting that hand over and over and over.  And getting mono.

The difference between .275 and .255 is about 12 hits per a full season of 600 ABs, so it is not much.  One hit every other week will do.

My problem with Lowrie is that he is an awful switch hitter.  He needs to quit batting left-handed.  AS for his role in 2012, not sure at all what the status is.  If any team does show interest in him as trade bait, the Sox are likely to listen...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I am very comfortable with Lowrie playing everyday at 3rd for the time being. Eventually defenders will stop robbing him. Talk about bad luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackripper. Show jackripper's posts

OH WELL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : It's not.  Some of it is not being smart. Why a team with medical issues on their starting rotation would inquire about Rich Harden and Erik Bedard is beyond me.  Maybe they figured this was all they could afford, and the 3-4 starts each gives before breaking might be worth it?  But this looked like more of the same.  I mean how did that conversation go.  "We need an experienced starting pitcher to replace an injured Daisuke."  "Try Harden and Bedard.  They're experienced at being injured." This is akin to all those 1970's home safety tactics. "Hey, this asbestos in my walls could be unhealthy for my children." "I'll just cover it up with some lead paint." Moving Ellsbury to LF was actually a smart move, as that typically is a less stressful move for an OF, assuming the 3B is someone other than Adrian Beltre.  Moving a 31yo 1B to 3B was just not a good idea.  I don't care how much 3B Youk played in college and the minors; knowledge and experience were not what people who advised against this were worried about.  This was not a smart move.  (Or maybe, not a smart consequence of getting Adrian Gonzalez.)
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Moving a 3rd baseman back to third will always make more sense than moving a 26 yo CFer to LF just make a 38 yo CFer happy. Youk injuries could have happen at 1st, and he never was player to make it from start-to-finish with out time off.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Moving a 3rd baseman back to third will always make more sense than moving a 26 yo CFer to LF just make a 38 yo CFer happy. Youk injuries could have happen at 1st, and he never was player to make it from start-to-finish with out time off.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand how 3B takes that much more of a toll on the body than 1B.  I'm guessing that there are more righties in the game than lefties so I guess you see more action at 3B.  Yes, you have to throw the ball farther but does that really put wear and tear on the back and hips?

I get that it's a more active position but I still don't see how this tore him down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : Moving a 3rd baseman back to third will always make more sense than moving a 26 yo CFer to LF just make a 38 yo CFer happy. Youk injuries could have happen at 1st, and he never was player to make it from start-to-finish with out time off.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

Except that the move was not made to keep Cameron, who told the press he'd be happy in LF, happy.

Cameron was sigend because he was the best OF available afer Holliday and Bay.  He would have played SS had the Sox asked.  I don't know if Ellsury was moved to prolong his career or becuase the FO dd not like his defense.  I do know he was not moved to make Cameron happy.

And whether or not Youk gets injured at 1B or 3B is not the point here.  He absolutely is more likely toget hurt at 3B.  1B is easier to play.  There is a reason that a lot of thrid baseman have moved to 1B, but very very few 1B have moved to 3B....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Or that they simply took the best arm available at the deadline? Once they learned that Buccholz injury was worse than feared...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk may be done : I just don't understand how 3B takes that much more of a toll on the body than 1B.  I'm guessing that there are more righties in the game than lefties so I guess you see more action at 3B.  Yes, you have to throw the ball farther but does that really put wear and tear on the back and hips? I get that it's a more active position but I still don't see how this tore him down.

Actually if you look at Youk's career he's never been an Iron man...while playing 3b is a far more taxing position than 1b that's why it's called the hot corner. Not sure that the switch over is he's why he's currently struggling to stay healthy...I did expect him to fall off a little in the second half but not off the map...At the All star break the guy had  a 900 ops and was trending to another top 10 offensive performance...since he can't get out of his own way and as the injuries mount his performance has followed that curve...if he can tape hiself up and play the rest of the way he will...but I would suggest that he gets dropped in the lineup...hit em 6th between Papi and Crawford and move Scutaro in to the 2 hole...

Sections
Shortcuts