Youk needs rest

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Youk needs rest

Notwithstanding the rest that most of the Sox players, including Youk, will get during the All Star break, it seems to me that Youk desperately needs some time out to get healthy.  I'm not saying that he is not playing well, but it is obvious that his ankles are bothering him. 

Just recall the last time you hit your thumb with a hammer or other similar every-day mishap, and how it seems that everything you do thereafter for the next week or two seems to accentuate the pain from the injury to your thumb.

Now imagine how difficult it must be to function normally and up-to-par for a major league player when dealing with the day-to-day pain of a nagging injury.

Would it not be better to shut down a player, namely Youk, at this juncture until after the All Star break to insure that he is 100% healthy for the 2nd half of the season.

Navarro or Sutton would certainly be adequate fill-ins defensively, and I do not think there would be a significant drop-off offensively from the less than stellar production that an injured Youk now offers.  I just do not want to see a continuously nagging injury for the remainder of the season curtail the production that we all come to expect from Youk. 

With the return of Crawford, the lineup might look like this:

Els
    Pedroia
    AGon
    Papi
    Navarro/Sutton
    Crawford
    Tek/Salty
    Scutarro
    Reddish

Then after the All Star break, re-insert a fully healthy Youk into the lineup.  And continue to use those at other positions who have stepped up and produced offensively during his absence, i.e. Navarro, Sutton, Reddish, etc.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronho. Show ronho's posts

Re: Youk needs rest

Dust, I think you make a good point here. It is very obvious he is hurting. Even Remy spoke of it during today's game. Perhaps start with the Oriole series then add the 4 days of the all star break and then hope he is fully recovered.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I think it may be a little more than rest. He looked slower and heavier in the Pittsburg series. In that series a lot of balls were coming his way. Some he got,  some he got a piece of , and some he didn't get. Maybe a new diet, some exercise and rehab for the foot problems will help him get through the rest of the season. He's gotten slower no doubt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

Don't count on Crawford returning anytime soon.  Maybe late July or early August.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think a stint on the DL effective today, Sunday, would do him a world of good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In Response to Re: Youk needs rest:
    [QUOTE]                      I think it may be a little more than rest. He looked slower and heavier in the Pittsburg series. In that series a lot of balls were coming his way. Some he got,  some he got a piece of , and some he didn't get. Maybe a new diet, some exercise and rehab for the foot problems will help him get through the rest of the season. He's gotten slower no doubt.
    Posted by eggplants[/QUOTE]

You may be right, although I think playing 3B requires a bit more athleticism and quicker reactions than 1B and this might attribute to his appearing slower.

Also, at 1B you are often playing behind the bag and off the line allowing for a slower reaction time than playing even with the bag and on the line at 3B. 

Or the nagging ankle injuries may just be slowing him down a tad bit. 

I must admit however that quite a few of the balls hit his way, that he was unable to get to, seemed liked plays that his predecessors, Mueller, Lowell, and Beltre would have made.

That said, keep in mind that at 1B, in certain situations, he had Pedroia protecting his flank allowing him to cheat a little toward the line, whereas at 3B, he doesn't have that luxury of a far-ranging defensive shortstop that would allow him to edge closer to the 3B line. 

Just saying, baseball has so many miniscule nuances, that sometimes it is not just one thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Youk needs rest:
    [QUOTE]Thank God he wasn't selected for the All-Star joke. I'm worried about Gonzalez playing that game.
    Posted by Cuthbertallbad[/QUOTE]

Boy agone sure changed his tune about playing in the AS game in AZ.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Of AL thirdbasemen, Youk is second in OPS, second in rbi's, and second in runs scored.  That's why Francona and Youk both want him in the lineup.  FWIW, his zone rating is above average for AL thirdbasemen. 

He is hurting, but he's one of the reasons why the offense works.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

He'll get it now after that HBP. Probably won't come back until after the All-Star break. Did you cause this with your thread?Undecided