Youk Not That Great at Third

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Youk Not That Great at Third

Or was I just spoiled with Mike Lowell's great defense at third?

It just surprises me a little because Youk was originally a third baseman, but made himself into an excellent first baseman.  Now that he's back at third, not so great.

I wonder if he's a little hurt.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt, the way this team is going right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Youk Not That Great at Third

Hes got a bad ankle right now that is obviously hurting..Unless you were talking as a whole and before the ankle injury..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Youk Not That Great at Third:
    [QUOTE]Or was I just spoiled with Mike Lowell's great defense at third? It just surprises me a little because Youk was originally a third baseman, but made himself into an excellent first baseman.  Now that he's back at third, not so great. I wonder if he's a little hurt.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt, the way this team is going right now.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

On what are you basing this assessment?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

CP ... he's been hobbling some for week or so ... remember a little while back he came up limping a bit?

OTOH, getting spoiled by Mikey is no real reason to be upset.  We were fortunate to have him for a while.  But even he had problems facing up to his prior splendor after that hip issue.

Youk's gonna grind it out no matter what.  He may not be as fluid as Mike, but he DID easily give up his great spot at first with the arrival of our newest hero.  All things considered, excellent situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

He's reached the point in his career where his quickness and reactions time will slow down.     Combined with injuries, he can't get to hard hit balls like in the past.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Possibly the next Sox DH?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Interesting idea, Jim.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Youk Not That Great at Third : On what are you basing this assessment?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Apparently, you haven't been watching the games. He's slow to react in his lateral movement and he has a noodle for an arm.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history.html

"
    Besides a potent offensive attack, the Red Sox will boast airtight defense, perhaps the best of any team in baseball.
    "

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]CP ... he's been hobbling some for week or so ... remember a little while back he came up limping a bit? OTOH, getting spoiled by Mikey is no real reason to be upset.  We were fortunate to have him for a while.  But even he had problems facing up to his prior splendor after that hip issue. Youk's gonna grind it out no matter what.  He may not be as fluid as Mike, but he DID easily give up his great spot at first with the arrival of our newest hero.  All things considered, excellent situation.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Agreed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

You were spoiled by Lowell (pre-surgery) and Beltre.  Youk certainly hasn't been good (-3 UZR this season), but he's been serviceable.  While defensively Youk is far from great at 3rd, offensively he's a beast, sporting the second highest OPS of any 3B in MLB (minimum 150 PA's).  He's .006 behind Arod (1st) and .076 ahead of Ty Wiggington (3rd), so it really isn't even close offensively.

The injuries are a concern though, I can't see him staying at 3B long term, but it will be awfully difficult to let Papi walk without an heir apparent for 3B (Navarro?).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

Not great?? That's an understatement. And his partner pedroia looked pretty feeble at 2nd last night as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]Not great?? That's an understatement. And his partner pedroia looked pretty feeble at 2nd last night as well.
    Posted by ---The--Babe----[/QUOTE]
    Lol THE DAY that Pedroia looks feeble at second... and I'll take Youk over A-Rod at 3rd any day of the week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Youk is a dirt dog, he plays through injuries, doesn't complain, and gives 110%

He is not the reason we are losing games.   Has he looked better at 3rd in the past?   Of course.  But unlike most wus players in the league, he is out there hobbling a bit and still trying to help the team any way he can.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Lol THE DAY that Pedroia looks feeble at second... and I'll take Youk over A-Rod at 3rd any day of the week.
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

he didn't look feeble at second. he looked like dustin buckner. as a fielder at third base, you would take yook over arod. yeah right. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

According to ESPN.com,in 2011 Youk has a .970 fielding percentage which is 4th in the majors.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/fielding/split/81

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Apparently, you (harnazz) haven't been watching the games. He's slow to react in his lateral movement and he has a noodle for an arm.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Uh-oh ....  lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : he didn't look feeble at second. he looked like dustin buckner. as a fielder at third base, you would take yook over arod. yeah right. 
    Posted by johnnyboy9[/QUOTE]

Youkilis's 3rd base career fielding percentage (.967)  is better than Arod's 3rd base career fielding percentage which sits at .965,so I would take Youk before Arod in fielding too.Numbers don't lie. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Youkilis's 3rd base career fielding percentage (.967)  is better than Arod's 3rd base career fielding percentage which sits at .965,so I would take Youk before Arod in fielding too.Numbers don't lie. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Fielding percentage is not always the best measure of defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Youkilis is no Beltre at 3B, that's for sure.  He's sure handed enough, but his range leaves something to be desired.  Going into the season, we knew that defense at the hot corner would be somewhat weakened. 

OTOH, Pedroia is the man at 2B, as is Gonzalez at 1B.  The improvement in infield defense on the right side of the infield over what we had last year more than makes up for the downgrade at third.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Youkilis's 3rd base career fielding percentage (.967)  is better than Arod's 3rd base career fielding percentage which sits at .965,so I would take Youk before Arod in fielding too.Numbers don't lie. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

fielding percentage doesn't offer any insight into range, which is what Youk is lacking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]Youk is a dirt dog, he plays through injuries, doesn't complain, and gives 110% He is not the reason we are losing games.   Has he looked better at 3rd in the past?   Of course.  But unlike most wus players in the league, he is out there hobbling a bit and still trying to help the team any way he can.   
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I wasn't questioning his heart or anything, just what happened to his defense.  No one is bashing Youk or saying he's the reason for the losses.  Stop being so defensive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : I wasn't questioning his heart or anything, just what happened to his defense.  No one is bashing Youk or saying he's the reason for the losses.  Stop being so defensive.

What happened to his defense in one or two games? Is that your question? Did you ever have an off day at home or a bad day at the office? Players can't be perfect all of the time since they are merely human. Don't judge a player by how he played yesterday's game or we will call you a spastic for spilling that beer on your living room rug.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Youk Not That Great at Third:
    [QUOTE]Or was I just spoiled with Mike Lowell's great defense at third? It just surprises me a little because Youk was originally a third baseman, but made himself into an excellent first baseman.  Now that he's back at third, not so great. I wonder if he's a little hurt.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt, the way this team is going right now.

Youk may need a year or so to catch up on his 3B skills.  Remember how bad ARod was at 3B after being a SS for so many years.  Granted ARod had never played 3B but Youk hadn't either for a long time.

Sections
Shortcuts