Youk Not That Great at Third

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Youk Not That Great at Third

In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Apparently, you haven't been watching the games. He's slow to react in his lateral movement and he has a noodle for an arm.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

A noodle for an arm? Compared to whom? "Slow to react in his lateral movement" is untrue. His reactions and instincts are fine. If you are referring to his range, then again, compared to whom? Gold glovers? He's perfectly adequate for the offense he supplies.

Remember when they tried Yaz over at third? He had a great arm...and the ball ended up in the dugout more often than not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think they have to think long and hard this winter if they want Youk at 3b next year w/ Ortiz at DH or DH Youk....Or they could go 1 more year like this and then move Youk to DH.  This is the price they are paying for getting AGone....maybe price is too strong of a word; it's the sacrifice they made.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Considering his age Youkilis may be the natural choice for DH if his offensive production stays where it is.  He'd be 33 next year and if Ortiz stays for a year or two then naturally he's 34, 35.

Thing is he is a free agent in 2013 when he will be 35 and he may not be ready to accept a DH role.  I would say to DH him next year and set his value as a hitter and not a position player(I understand that teams may still pay him as a 3B but thats another conversation), but Ortiz is making it really hard to let him go. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Stupid OP.  You take a little less on defense at 3B so you can get a pretty darn good bat. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]Youkilis is no Beltre at 3B, that's for sure.  He's sure handed enough, but his range leaves something to be desired.  Going into the season, we knew that defense at the hot corner would be somewhat weakened.  OTOH, Pedroia is the man at 2B, as is Gonzalez at 1B.  The improvement in infield defense on the right side of the infield over what we had last year more than makes up for the downgrade at third.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

The right side of the infield when youk was healthy was fine last year, he was one of the best defensive first basemen in the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Considering his age Youkilis may be the natural choice for DH if his offensive production stays where it is.  He'd be 33 next year and if Ortiz stays for a year or two then naturally he's 34, 35. Thing is he is a free agent in 2013 when he will be 35 and he may not be ready to accept a DH role.  I would say to DH him next year and set his value as a hitter and not a position player(I understand that teams may still pay him as a 3B but thats another conversation), but Ortiz is making it really hard to let him go. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

It's all well and good to say DH Youk and let Ortiz go. OK that might be a wash offensively -- or close. But who is going to play 3B. Are you going to have a severe drop off on offense just to have a better glove.

Youk is at least an average 3B but a way above-average hitter. I would think he can play 3B a couple of more years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

For those who wish to critique Youk's play, how about his Pirate counter-part today?

And did anybody happen to see the most critical play of the game?
    You know, the one where the Pirates had the bases plugged, Youk sprawled to get the cut-off throw and lunged to tag the runner, who was trying to get back to 3rd. That was a great play, which is why nobody cared to mention it on this thread...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Not great?? That's an understatement. And his partner pedroia looked pretty feeble at 2nd last night as well.
    Posted by ---The--Babe----[/QUOTE]

Sorta like that NYuck hero, Jeter?

Oh wait...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : A noodle for an arm? Compared to whom? "Slow to react in his lateral movement" is untrue. His reactions and instincts are fine. If you are referring to his range, then again, compared to whom? Gold glovers? He's perfectly adequate for the offense he supplies. Remember when they tried  Yaz over at third? He had a great arm...and the ball ended up in the dugout more often than not.
    Posted by harness[/OTE]

Last time I heard that term someone was talking about Johnny Damon's arm...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Youkilis's 3rd base career fielding percentage (.967)  is better than Arod's 3rd base career fielding percentage which sits at .965,so I would take Youk before Arod in fielding too.Numbers don't lie. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    yook has a good glove. he has no range. his throws to first are a little later than they should be. but since he lobs them, the hitter gets singles and yook's fielding percentage looks good. he makes no great throws. weak arm. no mobility.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think I am watching a different guy playing third base than many of you.  I think Youk has been pretty darn solid over there.  He has a perfectly good arm.  The only times he has "noodled" throws is when he has fielded a ball and not been able to set properly.  Of course, Adrian Beltre could launch off-balance rockets in his sleep, so perhaps our expectations are a bit high.  And, yes, Youk has made a couple awkward plays on strange balls over there.  I expect this is part of the re-adjustment to third and experience will overcome the occasional gaffe.  But, by and large he has been real solid IMO.  Makes some nice plays.  Doesn't have Mikey or Adrian's range no doubt.  But it is serviceable and he has good reflexes, has made some outstanding snags.  I don't know.  I guess when you have a legend like Lowell and maybe the best-hot-corner-not-named-Brooks before you, those are big shoes to fill.  But, I like Youk at third.  And I certainly see no reason to start this Youk-As-DH talk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]I think I am watching a different guy playing third base than many of you.  I think Youk has been pretty darn solid over there.  He has a perfectly good arm.  The only times he has "noodled" throws is when he has fielded a ball and not been able to set properly.  Of course, Adrian Beltre could launch off-balance rockets in his sleep, so perhaps out expectations are a bit high.  And, yes, Youk has made a couple awkward plays on strange balls over there.  But I expect this is part of the re-adjustment to third and experience will overcome the occasional gaffe.  But, by and large he has been real solid IMO.  Makes some nice plays.  Doesn't have Mikey or Adrian's range no doubt.  But it is serviceable and he has good reflexes, has made some outstanding snags.  I don't know.  I guess when you have a legend like Lowell and maybe the best-hot-corner-not-named-Brooks before you, those are big shoes to fill.  But, I like Youk at third.  And I certainly see no reason to start this Youk-As-DH talk.

Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well, he's ok at third, but I think the DH talk makes sense since he is kinda fragile and might stay healthier if he was the DH.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Well, he's ok at third, but I think the DH talk makes sense since he is kinda fragile and might stay healthier if he was the DH.

I'll show you fragile!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Youk Not That Great at Third:
    [QUOTE]Or was I just spoiled with Mike Lowell's great defense at third? It just surprises me a little because Youk was originally a third baseman, but made himself into an excellent first baseman.  Now that he's back at third, not so great. I wonder if he's a little hurt.  It wouldn't surprise me if he was hurt, the way this team is going right now.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

www.sodahead.com/united-states/sodahead-slideshow-too-rich-to-rule-the-country/blog-333731/">

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : Well, he's ok at third, but I think the DH talk makes sense since he is kinda fragile and might stay healthier if he was the DH.
    Youk isn't fragile. Youk didn't miss a game after rolling his ankle despite being in obvious pain and he still produced. I don't worry about Youk, he finds a way to get the job done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : I'll show you fragile!!!

Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well, prior to this season he's only appeared in 3 more games than drew since drew's arrival. Tongue out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]that may have something to do with the fact Youk missed the second half of last season. Youk is ban ged up.  Last week on the pre game, Eck said Youk needed some time off, but they couldn't do it now with the NL situation.

Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Did he miss it because he was hurt?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

[QUOTE]as you well know Babe, he missed it due to season ending surgery, which is different than fragile, in reference to Drew.

Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

How is one fragile and not the other?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Youk Not That Great at Third : It's all well and good to say DH Youk and let Ortiz go. OK that might be a wash offensively -- or close. But who is going to play 3B. Are you going to have a severe drop off on offense just to have a better glove. Youk is at least an average 3B but a way above-average hitter. I would think he can play 3B a couple of more years.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Your right 2012 is to early to consider that an option, but beyond then???? Ortiz seeking a multi-year deal may clog up that (or any other transition)  I'm happy with the way Papi is hitting but you can't deny his age as a factor moving forward...how much longer can he hit like this?  Regardless a new third baseman may be in the cards for 2014.

Sections
Shortcuts