Youkilis and cash for Lannan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rvicini. Show rvicini's posts

Youkilis and cash for Lannan

Nats need a first baseman. Youkilis is a Gold Glove at first base and injury safe at 1st base. Relatively low cost since probably RS would give away some cash back. Nats get rid of the Prince Fielder idea and the big winner could also be the Brewers who could get Fielder again. Or maybe Texas. Big loser: Boras.
    WMB/Punto/Aviles at third? 
    Youks of course is a big loss but we need pitching.. Ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Youkilis and cash for Lannan

Youk is not "injury safe" at 1B: see 2010.

Trading Youk is fine with me, if it nets us a quality starter and/or saves us a lot of  money. The problem is that with all of Youk's injuries, I do not think we net a good return. Other teams know about Youk's injury history too.

Our best bet might be to deal Scutaro and save $6M, then trade some prospects for a good starter. (Keeping us under the limit)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Youkilis and cash for Lannan:
    Nats need a first baseman. Youkilis is a Gold Glove at first base and injury safe at 1st base. Relatively low cost since probably RS would give away some cash back. Nats get rid of the Prince Fielder idea and the big winner could also be the Brewers who could get Fielder again. Or maybe Texas. Big loser: Boras. WMB/Punto/Aviles at third?  Youks of course is a big loss but we need pitching.. Ideas?
    Posted by rvicini

Injuries limited Kevin Youkilis to 102 games in 2010 when he played all but one of his 102 games at firstbase.

The Nats might be better off at firstbase sticking with Adam LaRoche, who remains under contract, and keeping John Lannan, who remains under the team's control for another two years after the 27-year-old lefthander posted an ERA of 3.70 in 33 starts last season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lannan has a 1.39 K/W.  The ALE would light him up like a Christmas tree.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I'll pass.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Youkilis and cash for Lannan":
    Youk is not "injury safe" at 1B: see 2010. Trading Youk is fine with me, if it nets us a quality starter and/or saves us a lot of  money. The problem is that with all of Youk's injuries, I do not think we net a good return. Other teams know about Youk's injury history too. Our best bet might be to deal Scutaro and save $6M, then trade some prospects for a good starter. (Keeping us under the limit) Posted by moonslav59
    Moon, I think the world of your posts, but your "trade Scutaro" agenda is starting to make me nervous...I like Punto (character off charts) and Aviles may play right field gainst lefties (not a bad thing), but neither guy is a starting SS. I get the money thing, and I understand this lineup could probably carry Iglesias, but in my opinion, Marco is best option until mid-season. I do not want Iglesias to feel the pressure of opening day and would like him to build a little confidence in AAA. Scutaro is a rock on and off the field right now and I think his value in Boston exceeds anything we'd get in return...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Scutaro is a gutsy player who rises to the occasion more often than not. I like his character. I'm not a Scutty hater.

I know I must sound like a broken record, but I am seriously concerned about next year's roster. I am one who believes we will try to stay under the tax limit in 2012. That seriously restricts our choices going forward. I have explored trading Youk, but have been convinced by others that it is not a very realistic idea. There are a few contending teams looking for 1B help, but any trade would have to involve a 3rd team, since getting prospects for Youk is not going to help us in 2012, unless they are flipped for pitching. I have mentioned giving the Cubs Jenks as payoff for the Theo issue. I doubt that is even an option. How else can we clear salary space? Not Papi, not Dice-K, not CC or Beckett. I think we could trade Salty and go with Lavarnway and Shoppach, but that doesn't save much money at all. 

There's 2 big reasons I have viewed trading Scutaro as the best option to improve the team without overspending on a free agent. 

1) Scutaro's limited range and less than average arm makes our defense at SS a major problem. I think his defense really hurts our pitching. Trading him and going with Iggy-Aviles-Punto would greatly solve that problem to the point that I think it would cancel out the loss on offense and then some. I know I am in the minority, but I firmly believe that Iggy would win more games for us than Scutty. I also don't think an Aviles/Punto combo would not be much worse overall (if at all) than Scutaro.

2) Trading Scutaro gains us a prospect and $6M in payroll relief. We could make a trade or sign a free agent or two that would more than make up for any loss a Scutaro to Iggy/Aviles/Punto change would cause (if any).

Do you have any better ideas? I'm all ears.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lannan is awful.

The Sox need to investigate the pricetags for Gavin Floyd and Francisco Liriano...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and cash for Lannan:
    Scutaro is a gutsy player who rises to the occasion more often than not. I like his character. I'm not a Scutty hater. I know I must sound like a broken record, but I am seriously concerned about next year's roster. I am one who believes we will try to stay under the tax limit in 2012. That seriously restricts our choices going forward. I have explored trading Youk, but have been convinced by others that it is not a very realistic idea. There are a few contending teams looking for 1B help, but any trade would have to involve a 3rd team, since getting prospects for Youk is not going to help us in 2012, unless they are flipped for pitching. I have mentioned giving the Cubs Jenks as payoff for the Theo issue. I doubt that is even an option. How else can we clear salary space? Not Papi, not Dice-K, not CC or Beckett. I think we could trade Salty and go with Lavarnway and Shoppach, but that doesn't save much money at all.  There's 2 big reasons I have viewed trading Scutaro as the best option to improve the team without overspending on a free agent.  1) Scutaro's limited range and less than average arm makes our defense at SS a major problem. I think his defense really hurts our pitching. Trading him and going with Iggy-Aviles-Punto would greatly solve that problem to the point that I think it would cancel out the loss on offense and then some. I know I am in the minority, but I firmly believe that Iggy would win more games for us than Scutty. I also don't think an Aviles/Punto combo would not be much worse overall (if at all) than Scutaro. 2) Trading Scutaro gains us a prospect and $6M in payroll relief. We could make a trade or sign a free agent or two that would more than make up for any loss a Scutaro to Iggy/Aviles/Punto change would cause (if any). Do you have any better ideas? I'm all ears.
    Posted by moonslav59

The problem is where to trade Scutaro.

The only team lieft with middle infield questions is the Rockies, who are not spedning freely.  They might be willing to deal Jason Hammel ($4.75 mill salary, ~$1.8mill AAV), which would be cool if Hammel was any good. Too bad he isn't...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Seems Nats maybe targeting Zimmerman at 1b with Rendon coming on strong at 1b

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Maybe Youk and Ranaudo for Jordan Zimmermann and Adam LaRoche. Sox need pitching, and Nats need hitting. Makes sense for both teams. Maybe the Nats will add in LaRoche as he is not needed by them. He would play 3B for us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Scutaro is a gutsy player who rises to the occasion more often than not. I like his character. I'm not a Scutty hater. I know I must sound like a broken record, but I am seriously concerned about next year's roster. I am one who believes we will try to stay under the tax limit in 2012. That seriously restricts our choices going forward. I have explored trading Youk, but have been convinced by others that it is not a very realistic idea. There are a few contending teams looking for 1B help, but any trade would have to involve a 3rd team, since getting prospects for Youk is not going to help us in 2012, unless they are flipped for pitching. I have mentioned giving the Cubs Jenks as payoff for the Theo issue. I doubt that is even an option. How else can we clear salary space? Not Papi, not Dice-K, not CC or Beckett. I think we could trade Salty and go with Lavarnway and Shoppach, but that doesn't save much money at all.  There's 2 big reasons I have viewed trading Scutaro as the best option to improve the team without overspending on a free agent.  1) Scutaro's limited range and less than average arm makes our defense at SS a major problem. I think his defense really hurts our pitching. Trading him and going with Iggy-Aviles-Punto would greatly solve that problem to the point that I think it would cancel out the loss on offense and then some. I know I am in the minority, but I firmly believe that Iggy would win more games for us than Scutty. I also don't think an Aviles/Punto combo would not be much worse overall (if at all) than Scutaro. 2) Trading Scutaro gains us a prospect and $6M in payroll relief. We could make a trade or sign a free agent or two that would more than make up for any loss a Scutaro to Iggy/Aviles/Punto change would cause (if any). Do you have any better ideas? I'm all ears.
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon, the success of this team will dictate if we stay under the tax....if fenway starts to see empty seats and NESN has low ratings because the sox arent in it, then we will sign players like we did last year in repsonse to the "bridge year"...

I like Scutaro a lot - he is one of the few players who plays hurt and hard...why get rid of him? Get rid of Beckett and his 18 million salary and restock the farm system...then go after Oswalt with the savings....Youk is going to get us nothing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

What could you really get for a Beckett right now?  3/51 million for a middle of the roation starter who is injury prone, is in decline, and who can't get past 6 innings once the calender hits August.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and cash for Lannan : Moon, the success of this team will dictate if we stay under the tax....if fenway starts to see empty seats and NESN has low ratings because the sox arent in it, then we will sign players like we did last year in repsonse to the "bridge year"... I like Scutaro a lot - he is one of the few players who plays hurt and hard...why get rid of him? Get rid of Beckett and his 18 million salary and restock the farm system...then go after Oswalt with the savings....Youk is going to get us nothing
    Posted by georom4

Did the Sox spend all of that $$$ for Crawford and Gonzalez because they had the $$$ available or because of the low NESN ratings in April and May of the previous year( which were deflated because of a deep postseason by the Bruins and Celtics and a rash of injuries). Maybe it was their year to spend just like this year was the year for LAA and the Marlins to spend. I still haven't seen one media pundit suggest trading Beckett.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

That's because he would be very hard to trade (eg makes a lot of $, we'd need pitching in return, he's not a good value, etc)

Sections
Shortcuts