Youkilis and Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Youkilis and Middlebrooks

Do we have confidence in Youk to finish the season and return to his 2009 form? And if not, what are the chances we will see Will Middlebrooks some at third this year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks

Clearly the job is Youk's to lose. Middlebrooks is where he needs to be right now, working on improving his craft. Let's hope Youk stays healthy and is at third all season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks:
    Clearly the job is Youk's to lose. Middlebrooks is where he needs to be right now, working on improving his craft. Let's hope Youk stays healthy and is at third all season.
    Posted by antibody

Agreed While I think a return to 2008-09 production is a bit much to expect, I think Youk will stay relatively healthy and put up more than respectable numbers. Middlebrooks' time will come.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

K/W is 8/0 in ST for Middlebrooks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Middlebrooks isn't close to being ready at all.  It would be way more likely to see Aviles go to third and Iggy play short than to see Middlebrooks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"lET ME BE CLEAR"  Youk, like the "BIG O, is expendable"  !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Posted by Bill-806

i disagree. how are you going to replace Youk's OBP or bat in the lineup? you certainly aren't going to get it from middlebrooks and as much as i like aviles he is no OBP machine like youk is

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I voted for the fourth choice. The last two years, I posted that I expected big years from Youk because he was at the ages where he could/should put up career years.

And he got hurt.

So I'll go the other way this year. While I think there's a strong chance that the first choice will be the answer, I wouldbn't be surprised if he got hurt again. And if he does go out, I think Middlebrooks might get a shot, especially if he gets off to a strong start in Pawtucket.

Snake -- Middlebrooks might not be ready, but I disagree with the terminology "isn't close." I think he's knocking on the door.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by Bill-806

Youkilis is the bst RHH in the lineup and Middlebrooks is an overhyped prospect who should be dealt while his stock is still relatively high.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

There is no way Youk makes it through the season.  I do agree with snake that Iggy will get the call and Av will move to 3rd.  Either way it's an upgrade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

There is no way Youk makes it through the season.  I do agree with snake that Iggy will get the call and Av will move to 3rd.  Either way it's an upgrade.
    Posted by never1954

Why? Bad luck?  It's not as if he has a chronic back, or knee, or concussion problem that flares up every year.  He plays hard, he's aging, etc. but I can't see why we shouldn't be optimistic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I voted for the fourth choice. The last two years, I posted that I expected big years from Youk because he was at the ages where he could/should put up career years. And he got hurt. So I'll go the other way this year. While I think there's a strong chance that the first choice will be the answer, I wouldbn't be surprised if he got hurt again. And if he does go out, I think Middlebrooks might get a shot, especially if he gets off to a strong start in Pawtucket. Snake -- Middlebrooks might not be ready, but I disagree with the terminology "isn't close." I think he's knocking on the door.
    Posted by royf19

Agreed.  My language was too strong.  With that said he only has 56 AAA at bats and in those 56 at bats he hit 161.  I think it is fair to say a year at AAA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks : Agreed.  My language was too strong.  With that said he only has 56 AAA at bats and in those 56 at bats he hit 161.  I think it is fair to say a year at AAA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I don't think he's that close either.  I don't remember anyone ever succeeding with that type of K/W ratio.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Youk gets hurt again, I think Aviles will slide over to 3B and Iggy becomes the SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If Youk gets hurt again, I think Aviles will slide over to 3B and Iggy becomes the SS.
    Posted by moonslav59

correct

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks : Agreed.  My language was too strong.  With that said he only has 56 AAA at bats and in those 56 at bats he hit 161.  I think it is fair to say a year at AAA wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development.
    Posted by snakeoil123

You're probably right.

I think it might depend on what time of year it is should Youk get hurt and how everyone else is doing. If it's late July and Middlebrooks is lighting it up in Triple A while Iggy is struggling, they might bring up Middlebrooks. If Middlebrooks is struggling or just playing average and Iggy shows strong improvement at the plate, then I could see Aviles sliding over. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Posted by moonslav59

Most likely, unless Middlebrooks is just absolutely tearing it up in AAA and can't be held down. Probably won't happen that way, but it'd be nice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Now I lay me down to sleep.
    I pray the Lord, Youk's health He keeps.
    And if I die before I wake.
    I pray Bill Mueller makes a comeback...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks : You're probably right. I think it might depend on what time of year it is should Youk get hurt and how everyone else is doing. If it's late July and Middlebrooks is lighting it up in Triple A while Iggy is struggling, they might bring up Middlebrooks. If Middlebrooks is struggling or just playing average and Iggy shows strong improvement at the plate, then I could see Aviles sliding over. 
    Posted by royf19

I think Ben was close to choosing Iggy over Aviles as it was. If Youk gets hurt, I think Iggy gets called up even if he is struggling, unless Middlebrooks advances quite a bit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

If anything happens to Youk it will be a really tough hole to fill in the batting order...I think most of the replacements could handle the fielding...just doubt any of them would fit in the middle of the lineup like Youk.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis and Middlebrooks : I think Ben was close to choosing Iggy over Aviles as it was. If Youk gets hurt, I think Iggy gets called up even if he is struggling, unless Middlebrooks advances quite a bit.
    Posted by moonslav59

Like I said -- it will depend on how everyone is doing. If Iggy is struggling to hit .220 and Middlebrooks is lighting it up and Aviles is hitting decent and playing good-enough defense, the Sox would be stupid to bring Iggy up in that scenario.

On the other hand, if Aviles and Punto are struggling defensively at SS and Middlebrooks is just playing OK and Iggy is batting a solid .240 or better and showing like he has a clue at the plate, then it's a no-brainer to bring Iggy up.

Of course, the best scenario has Youk healthy all year and having a career year and Aviles playing strong SS both offensively and defensively. Then neither Middlebrooks nor Iggy will have to be thrown into a situation they're not ready for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Today, Middlebrooks is close to GG caliber at 3B. It is his bat that is keeping him back. If Youk is injured why not replace him with GG? His bat is still better than Iggy, and Middlebrooks offensive holes and all is still capable of power numbers

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Do people really wrestle with these things when all the while circumstances and well-paid people actually decide what happens?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Today, Middlebrooks is close to GG caliber at 3B. It is his bat that is keeping him back. If Youk is injured why not replace him with GG? His bat is still better than Iggy, and Middlebrooks offensive holes and all is still capable of power numbers
    Posted by rkarp

I'm not sure of Will Middlebrooks' range at his size (6-4, 225), but I know that last year Middlebrooks committed 16 errors in fewer than 100 minor league games (for a .933 fielding percentage):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=middle001wil

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts