Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable

Maybe there is something to be said for wanting a guy to play a certain position and then getting that wish. I saw Youks as a very good to superb 1st baseman defensively, and by acquiring AMVPGONZ, Youks was supposedly going to his preferred postion. One wonders if it might have been better to have re-signed Beltre, and traded Youkilis to get a quality starter or some talent that would have helped the team. My point is that there is a great love affair for Youks, but I see him as the team's most tradeable player in terms of actually getting solid players back in a deal. Yes, I realize he has put up some good numbers past few years, but I'd rather have Beltre's powerbat and defense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable

Wow, the BoSox without Youk would.....well take some real getting used to. Not that I would endorse it, but your point that Youk would certainly bring back some talent can't be argued with. Right now, the Beltre issue is moot, so we would definately have to get a 3B back, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable:
    [QUOTE]Maybe there is something to be said for wanting a guy to play a certain position and then getting that wish. I saw Youks as a very good to superb 1st baseman defensively, and by acquiring AMVPGONZ, Youks was supposedly going to his preferred postion. One wonders if it might have been better to have re-signed Beltre, and traded Youkilis to get a quality starter or some talent that would have helped the team. My point is that there is a great love affair for Youks, but I see him as the team's most tradeable player in terms of actually getting solid players back in a deal. Yes, I realize he has put up some good numbers past few years, but I'd rather have Beltre's powerbat and defense.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought, ARod was horrible his first year at 3B so I would give Youk a bit more time.  Youk hasn't had a steady dose at 3B for a very long time but I agree about being a nice trade chip if we had a youngster ready to take over.

Trading him for a starter at some point I like.  For another 3B not so much, he is still a big part of our team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe there is something to be said for wanting a guy to play a certain position and then getting that wish. I saw Youks as a very good to superb 1st baseman defensively, and by acquiring AMVPGONZ, Youks was supposedly going to his preferred postion. One wonders if it might have been better to have re-signed Beltre, and traded Youkilis to get a quality starter or some talent that would have helped the team. My point is that there is a great love affair for Youks, but I see him as the team's most tradeable player in terms of actually getting solid players back in a deal. Yes, I realize he has put up some good numbers past few years, but I'd rather have Beltre's powerbat and defense.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Beltre is getting $16M/year for the next 6 years.  Youk today is a far better offensive player.  And my guess is he's better defensively than Beltre will be at age 38.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

The unspoken truth this season, has been Youk's mediocre play at 3rd base.
    He's sure no Mike Lowell, or Beltre.
    Hopefully, he'll improve with time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tbrod, that's kind of what I was alluding to...i don't think he's really a good defensive 3b, and to me, his best position is 1b. No room for a 1b on Sox anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]I could list a whole lot of numbers to say why in HR and RBI this year that these are similar players offensively but that Youk is far more productive but there is a reason SABR guys love OPS.

2011 : Youk .866 - Beltre .768. That pretty much covers the .310 OBP and pedestrian BA. Then there is the business end.

The RS owe Youk $37M through 2013 when he will be 34. Meanwhile the Rangers owe Beltre a minimum of $80M through 2015 when he will be 36 and if Beltre makes certain incentives PA incentives the contract stretches to his 37th year and would take the total commitment to $96M.

$59M for a better glove and a very undisciplined swing that may not age well?

Just fine with Youk myself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

5katz, not questioning Youks bat, just his glove...Beltre is a more complete package.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable:
    [QUOTE]5katz, not questioning Youks bat, just his glove...Beltre is a more complete package.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]Depends what you call complete. A .310 OBP is not good by any stretch of the imagination. His glove is steady and will age well but offensively time will IMO prove that contract to be a real stretch. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis Deemed Too Valuable:
    [QUOTE]The unspoken truth this season, has been Youk's mediocre play at 3rd base. He's sure no Mike Lowell, or Beltre. Hopefully, he'll improve with time.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Rod, see my "Hole in One" thread, Youk falls in the mid to bottom of the pack vs his peers, good news is he hasn't made too many errors, although quantifying a subjective stat like errors has a certain peril.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'm not against trading Youk.  Now is probably the perfect time while he still has some value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The only reason I would trade Youk is if I was concerned about his playing style (100% all the time, runs through walls, never takes a single pitch off) degrading his play, and limiting his playing time as he now settles into his 30s. I do, in fact, think these are very valid concerns, but for me, it would have to be quite a package to deal a team leader like Youk. He has shown a propensity to lead by example, through his words, and tries to keep players accountable (Manny, Ellsbury). You can't really quantify those things, but you definitely know when a team is lacking it.

Sections
Shortcuts