Youkilis' Downhill Slide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN "ID'ing ADG. HE IS CORRECT WHEN IT
    COMES TO YOUKILIS. THE MAN IS PAST HIS PRIME. HIS WEIRD
    STANCE WILL NOT CUT IT ANY MORE. HE WASN'T AN OFFENSIVE
    THREAT LAST YEAR AND WILL END UP BEING A BENCH RIDER
    OR RELEASED. MAYBE HE CAN BE TRADED FOR A YOUNG PROSPECT.
    THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT JUST OCCUPIES LINEUP SPACE WITHOUT
    PRODUCING. ADD TO HIM GUYS LIKE SHOPPACH, ROSS, PUNTO
    AVILES AND MCDONALD, AND YOU HAVE THE MAKING OF
    THE "HOUSTON ASTROS NORTH" !!! EVEN THE ORIOLES ARE
    GONNA BE BETTER. " IT'S THE CURSE OF ANDINO " AND BY THE
    WAY, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SALTY DID ANYTHING POSITIVE
    FOR THIS TEAM ??? LOTSA LUCK FIGURING THAT OUT !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide:
    In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide :    check out Andruw Jones, who went from a possible HOF career, to RH platoon player in his early thirties.
    Posted by attic-dan

Good point Dan

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

We've been through this before. In the pre-steroid era, it wasn't uncommon for guys to be done when they were in their early 30s. Now I'm not saying Youk's done. I'm still chalking this up to a slow start. We see that every year with top players.

And remember, his production wasn't that bad last year. His average was down, but he he still hit 17 HRs with 80 RBIs in 120 games, and at least 20 of those games were hurt.

Pro-rate that over 150 games and he was on a 21-HR, 100-RBI pace. And at the midway point of the season before he got hurt, he was on a 25 HR, 115-RBI, .285 BA pace.

So it is worth being a bit patient before writing him off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

We've been through this before. In the pre-steroid era, it wasn't uncommon for guys to be done when they were in their early 30s. Now I'm not saying Youk's done. I'm still chalking this up to a slow start. We see that every year with top players. And remember, his production wasn't that bad last year. His average was down, but he he still hit 17 HRs with 80 RBIs in 120 games, and at least 20 of those games were hurt. Pro-rate that over 150 games and he was on a 21-HR, 100-RBI pace. And at the midway point of the season before he got hurt, he was on a 25 HR, 115-RBI, .285 BA pace. So it is worth being a bit patient before writing him off.
    Posted by royf19

Pre-steroid ERA similar to the Post-steroid ERA. Does that tell you anything about Youk?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : Pre-steroid ERA similar to the Post-steroid ERA. Does that tell you anything about Youk?
    Posted by ADG

Yeah, it tells me that Youk could be a guy like Dick Allen, who at age 32 (1974), led the league in homers with 32 playing in just 128 games and batted .301.

Then at age 33, he slumpled to .233 in 119 games with 12 HR and 62 RBI and played in ust 85 and 54 games the next two years and was done.

What does it tell you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not saying Youk has not gone A-Jones on us, but, seriously, especially coming off a significant injury, the thinking person has to factor in slow start possibility before writing the guy off.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

If he's healthy, and I think he is, he can hit.  Maybe not 30 dingers, but a good OPS, 80-100 rbi's, etc.  Way too early to write him off. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I hope its not the after effect of PEDs. Power gone, cannot hit and a body broken down with injuries alla ARod. Nothing surprises me anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

This is the bury Kevin Youks thread. So I might as well join in. Look, I got crucified on this board when I flat out advocated the trade of Youkilis (great value for another team, great trade bait) when the Sox acquired Gonzalez. The whole thing was as some have mentioned that Youks was a far better 1st baseman (really his spot) and didn't have the range to play 3b well. And that the Sox had a guy who truly relished the spotlight and performed in Boston, Beltre. And the whole contention was overpaying for Beltre, and I said then overpay. Instead they spent the bank on Crawford instead, a guy who was a duplicate at best of Ellsbury and at worst--well what he performed as so far as a Sox---albatross. Youkilis was put too high on the pedestal by many Sox fans and apparently by the organization. Maybe he deserved it, as he did some great things, had some great seasons. But those days are apparently over. Now, they actually need him, and now it's too late to move him. Why did the Sox go after AGON in the first place? They had to have him, and they had to have Crawford. Larry made his bed, so Larry can deal with the aftermath.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One wonders had the Sox just kept Beltre and kept Youks at 1b. It would have been less money spent overall. I wonder would have Youks had the injuries that took their toll by playing 3b.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The interesting thing here is that you would have had three firts basemen coming out as free agents this year, Pujols, Fielder, and Agon. The Yankees would not have been involved because they have Teixeira. The Sox would not have had to give away the package they gave away for Adrian Gonzalez. response to "Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide":
    One wonders had the Sox just kept Beltre and kept Youks at 1b. It would have been less money spent overall. I wonder would have Youks had the injuries that took their toll by playing 3b. Posted by dannycater

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

One wonders had the Sox just kept Beltre and kept Youks at 1b. It would have been less money spent overall. I wonder would have Youks had the injuries that took their toll by playing 3b.
    Posted by dannycater

I don't think 3B has anything to do with the injury last year. Remember, he was on the DL in May in 2009 and also missed the last two months of 2010 -- years he was plaing 1B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

roy, that's a good point, You're right he was hurt before making the move. But his range became more limited with the recurring injuries.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I wasn't for signing Beltre, but watching Youk at third is not pretty.  The Keppinger double would even have been fielded by Lowell when he could barely move.

Let's hope he puts together a good year with the bat because I doubt the range will come back. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

Maybe he has lost his vision.  Dude might need to Wild Thing it and get some glasses.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : I don't think 3B has anything to do with the injury last year. Remember, he was on the DL in May in 2009 and also missed the last two months of 2010 -- years he was plaing 1B.
    Posted by royf19

Broken down body due to "insert here".  Middlebrooks is crushing the ball at Pawtucket. If he continues to slide, DL him and give the kid a chance. .354, 3 HR, 8 RBI.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

All of the players are currently being tested annually with a vision test. Most of them have 20-15 or 20-10 vision. Read the article about this a few weeks ago.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : Broken down body due to "insert here".  Middlebrooks is crushing the ball at Pawtucket. If he continues to slide, DL him and give the kid a chance. .354, 3 HR, 8 RBI.
    Posted by ADG

Instead of innuendos, why don't you man up and say what you mean.

As for Middlebrooks, I'm all for giving him a shot if Youk truly is done. But Youk has looked good the last two games, and only a fool dumps established, proven players like Youk after only seven or eight games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : Instead of innuendos, why don't you man up and say what you mean. As for Middlebrooks, I'm all for giving him a shot if Youk truly is done. But Youk has looked good the last two games, and only a fool dumps established, proven players like Youk after only seven or eight games.
    Posted by royf19

Alright, maybe and just maybe he was a PED user. Golden Sombrero last night, Bobby V moves him down to 6th. Middlebrooks in the wings, last year of contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : Alright, maybe and just maybe he was a PED user. Golden Sombrero last night, Bobby V moves him down to 6th. Middlebrooks in the wings, last year of contract.
    Posted by ADG

That's what's pathetic. Anytime a good player goes into decline, we're going to accuse him of being a PED user. If he is in decline, the fact he is 33 is better evidence that he was clean. Before the PED era, it was common for players to decline from 30 to 33-35.

Before making groundless accusations, take a better look at baseball history.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I think he is at the end of his career, amd was lucky with the homerun last night. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. True to form he struck out in his last time at bat. This will most likely be his last year in Boston.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Youk plays with reckless abandon and it has taken its toll on his young 33 y/o frame. But, he knows no other way.
    He can play 3B but he is not one. Reading some of the posts above, I can agree that moving him off 1B was to his detriment, and he should have been traded when Agon was acquired. At least then he could have gone to play 1B for someone else, and extended his career. I see DH in his future sooner, rather than later.

Sections
Shortcuts