Youkilis' Downhill Slide

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide:
    Youk plays with reckless abandon and it has taken its toll on his young 33 y/o frame. But, he knows no other way. He can play 3B but he is not one. Reading some of the posts above, I can agree that moving him off 1B was to his detriment, and he should have been traded when Agon was acquired. At least then he could have gone to play 1B for someone else, and extended his career. I see DH in his future sooner, rather than later.
    Posted by harv53

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

"Please, won't somebody think about the small sample sizes!"
    • Youk's OPS increased every year of his career through 2010, (possibly) peaking at a huge .975 in 2010.
    • In 2011, while suffering major injury, he slipped back to a still-respectable .833.
    • In 2012, his numbers are very poor....AFTER 10 GAMES.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Middlebrooks went 2 for 5 today with his 5th HR, 16 RBI's.  His numbers:

.368  5 HR    16 RBI   SLUG .684  OPS 1.074

Teams with garbage rosters like the Red Sox bring guys like this up and don't look back. The Red Sox with 12 garbage players won't.  That is why they stink.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : Alright, maybe and just maybe he was a PED user. Golden Sombrero last night, Bobby V moves him down to 6th. Middlebrooks in the wings, last year of contract.
    Posted by ADG

Making unfounded allegations about PED use sounds very much like troll Babe. Why would anyone want to imitate him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Middlebrooks went 2 for 5 today with his 5th HR, 16 RBI's.  His numbers: .368  5 HR    16 RBI   SLUG .684  OPS 1.074 Teams with garbage rosters like the Red Sox bring guys like this up and don't look back. The Red Sox with 12 garbage players won't.  That is why they stink.
    Posted by ADG

1) If Youk is injured, by all means bring up Middlebrooks.  But I cannot believe Youk's gone from a .975 OPS to .833 to....disaster in two years.  Give him time i.e. more than 10 games!
    2) Even if Middlebrooks has really turned the corner offensively, we need to think about his arb/FA clock.  Long term, my friend, long term.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would like to see how he does out of the cleanup spot. At cleanup, it looks like he is always looking for a pitch to hit out. Maybe he would be better off going back to what made him successful. Work the count and use the whole field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Youkilis' Downhill Slide : That's what's pathetic. Anytime a good player goes into decline, we're going to accuse him of being a PED user. If he is in decline, the fact he is 33 is better evidence that he was clean. Before the PED era, it was common for players to decline from 30 to 33-35. Before making groundless accusations, take a better look at baseball history.
    Posted by royf19
    Good for you, Roy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

3b                 2011  OPS

Beltre              892
    Ramirez           871
    Longoria          850
    Youk               833
    ARod               823

10 games?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

This thread reminds me of the "Ortiz is done" threads 2-3 years ago.  

Chronic's comment about his eyes is something that I had thought of as well.  The fact that he is not walking much (just 3 walks) led me to think that.  Many players have had their eyes go on them at his age.  Look at Jim Rice.  Went from 3rd in MVP voting and dropped off the next couple of years before retiring.  I remember many people speculated his vision was going on him.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Youk just needs a little time to get his timing back.  Quit hating on Youk.  He is not done by a long shot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Maybe all the injuries have caught up to him. He has something to prove because he is in the last year of a contract and the team is not going to pick up his option if he does not do well.
    Posted by AL34

I expect Youk to improve as the season progresses.  Although, I would rather have traded him and signed Beltre when the Red Sox had the chance.  I know that a lot of Red Sox fans won't agree with me, but I really liked Beltre and thought he was a better 3rd baseman than Youk. 

Sections
Shortcuts