Youkilis signs with Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Youkilis signs with Yankees

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Thesemenarecowards's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I see Yankee fans trying to sell this to themselves but be real.  Your backup plan for your broken down 30 million 3B is a broken down 12 million 3B turned 1B turned 3B, who is in clear decline at the plate and has serious durability concerns?  Keep telling yourself you like this move.

[/QUOTE]

I recall the same type commentary when Wade Boggs signed with the Yankees he was done too and at the time a year older than Youk will be next season.

Then Wade gave the Yankees some real great seasons.

Mike Lowell too, no one wanted him. The deal was if you wanted Beckett you had to take Lowell too.

I'll say what I said last year I think Youk still has some gas left in the tank.

I hope that I'm right.

It's going to be a fun season for sure.

[/QUOTE]

Mike Lowell had one bad year. It was a salary dump, more than anything. Youkilis' issues are as much about the fact he can't stay on the field, than his decline. If Middlebrooks didn't come and play as well as he did, when Youk was on the DL, he would more than likley still be in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I remember the Marlins trying to move Lowell and no one wanted him.

Was not an overnight thing he hung out there for awhile there were no takers plain and simple.

The Sox got a good deal on that one.

Scott Brosious another 3rd baseman who was in decline. Hit .203 in Oakland age 30 the season before he went to NY where he rebounded to .300.

I see this happen all the time, I wouldn't write the script.

[/QUOTE]

Brosius also hit .300 the year before he hit .203, so again it was an outlier year.  It was the late 90's, maybe he just got off the PED's for the year?  Youk will be 34 on opening day and has gone .305, .258, .235.  That is a trend, not an aberation.

[/QUOTE]

Boggs was 35 on his opening day for the Yankees.

Brosious has never been mentioned in PED talk by anyone thats a dumb statement.

If you want a trend Boggs, Lowell and Broscious all won WS rings after they were moved.

[/QUOTE]

Boggs is one of the great hitters in MLB history, who AGAIN had 1 bad year, his last in Boston.  Comparing a declining Youk to a 1st ballot HOFamer who had 1 bad year is pointless.

My Brosius comment was tongue in cheek.  Also, you spell his name wrong. 

[/QUOTE]

That's not true about Boggs who I agree was one of the greatest hitters ever.

He too appeared to be losing his skills, his career average declining his last few years in Boston but he still hit for a higher average then most of the rest.

His last season with Boston dipping below .300 to .259..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/boggswa01.shtml

[/QUOTE]

Boggs hit .332 in his second to last season in Boston.  The logic was that his .350+ years were behind him, and they were but when you are declining from .360 you have a lot more room to fall. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I see Yankee fans trying to sell this to themselves but be real.  Your backup plan for your broken down 30 million 3B is a broken down 12 million 3B turned 1B turned 3B, who is in clear decline at the plate and has serious durability concerns?  Keep telling yourself you like this move.

[/QUOTE]

I recall the same type commentary when Wade Boggs signed with the Yankees he was done too and at the time a year older than Youk will be next season.

Mike Lowell too, no one wanted him. The deal was if you wanted Beckett you had to take Lowell too.

I'll say what I said last year I think Youk still has some gas left in the tank.

I hope that I'm right.

[/QUOTE]

Mike Lowell had one bad year. It was a salary dump, more than anything. Youkilis' issues are as much about the fact he can't stay on the field, than his decline. If Middlebrooks didn't come and play as well as he did, when Youk was on the DL, he would more than likley still be in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Was not an overnight thing he hung out there for awhile there were no takers plain and simple.

Scott Brosious another 3rd baseman who was in decline. Hit .203 in Oakland age 30 the season before he went to NY where he rebounded to .300.

[/QUOTE]

Brosius also hit .300 the year before he hit .203, so again it was an outlier year.  It was the late 90's, maybe he just got off the PED's for the year?  Youk will be 34 on opening day and has gone .305, .258, .235.  That is a trend, not an aberation.

[/QUOTE]

If you want a trend Boggs, Lowell and Broscious all won WS rings after they were moved.

[/QUOTE]

Boggs is one of the great hitters in MLB history, who AGAIN had 1 bad year, his last in Boston.  Comparing a declining Youk to a 1st ballot HOFamer who had 1 bad year is pointless.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah ok and there are 2 rs in aberration.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.... a perfect analogy to this discussion.  Trend (BrosiOus) vs. AberRation (Aberation).

[/QUOTE]

You brought up spelling.

Aberration is an everyday word of the English language in the dictionary the other is a person's name and not a common one.

But it's getting silly now as it usually does with you.

Neither of us know what Youk will do in 2013.

My point being that others have been written off as you have written off Youk only to be proven wrong.

So let's let him play the 2013 season anyway. Night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hope that I'm right.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not true about Boggs who I agree was one of the greatest hitters ever.

He too appeared to be losing his skills, his career average declining his last few years in Boston but he still hit for a higher average then most of the rest.

His last season with Boston dipping below .300 to .259..

[/QUOTE]

Boggs hit .332 in his second to last season in Boston.  The logic was that his .350+ years were behind him, and they were but when you are declining from .360 you have a lot more room to fall. 

[/QUOTE]

And how did Bogg's replacement do?

From 93-97 when he was with the Yankees.

You have to admit in hindsight that letting Boggs go that early was a mistake.

But you probably won't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hahaha.  Fun stuff.

[/QUOTE]

From a personal stand point spaceman, I certainly don't want Youk facing us that many times next season any more than I did Damon.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, might be a little worse with Youk.  Damon was just a mercenary all along, so there was no meaning in anything when he faced the sox.  But, Youk, Youk was run outta town by Bobby V. and the organization signed off on it.  I mean, Middlebrooks is the future, and something had to be done.  But I am sure Kevin feels betrayed and he is gonna have a little something extra in his mojo when he faces the Sox.  I don't like the idea of Youk exacting revenge at all.  

[/QUOTE]

Because of that, I won't take it against him, wherever he plays. Still hoping he retires with Boston. The path would be unconventional, but I do not care.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

After being treated with very little respect by Boston, I absolutely can't join in on the "hate YOUK for becoming a Yankee" bandwagon.  He should have been kept at first with Boston, but the A'gon allure proved too strong.  I jumped on that bandwagon, & it turned out very badly.

YOUK deserves nothing but respect & admiration from RSN.  I will hate facing him, win or lose.  I don't look forward to rooting against him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

JBay it goes to the adage of who cares. He had a bad year with us last year and with the exception of a few home runs with the White Sox he did not do much better. I think he is done and with the injuries he has suffered I was wondering if it is the fallout from PEDs.  He caused his own demise last year by getting off to a real crummy start.

Although we are  hearing in New York that AROD might be done for the year.

[QUOTE]

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not understand this.

He goes to NY knowing when ARod comes back he is on the bench or at best the DH and a part time 3B/1B

He is looking for playing time versus ARod. Teixera, and probably Andruw Jones ??.

Whereas if he went to Cleveland right now he'd be the starting first baseman and back with familar faces on that team and coaching. 

[/QUOTE]

Best offer, Jim.  They all follow the money trail.

[/QUOTE]

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prknsdnld's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Youk is better than Napoli.

By the way - Red Sox always end up with the Yankees.  But it never ever goes the other way - yankees never become red sox (except scrub yankees).

the last Yankee to go to Boston that was any good was Mike Torres.

[/QUOTE]

How about Don Baylor? Mike Stanley? Ramiro Mendoza? 

[/QUOTE]

Mark Melancon.

[/QUOTE]

Loved the way he came into that game at the end of the year with the bases loaded and one out and he shut the Yanks down. He finished the year very strong and looked like a different guy than we saw early in the year.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I certainly don't see NY viewing Youk as a saviour of any kind. Just someone who can man the position for one year and produce in a decent manner. Yanks are gearing for 2014, while trying to remain competitive for 2013.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Like with Louis Tiant some years ago, this one will be tough to watch.  It will hard to root against Youk.  I'm hoping he will have some good games in some tough losses where somebody else is the goat.  Here's hoping he gets a big hit in the 6th or 7th only to have Joba cough up the lead in the following inning.  Better yet, he makes a terrific play at first and Joba fumbles the toss to the bag.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Louie Tiant went directly from Boston to New York, as did Boomer, Boggs, and Damon; Clemens went in a round-about way.

Youkilis has dobe the fans of Boston no harm as it was the Red Sox that dismissed him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Joba should have been thrown out of baseball after the two attempts in a row at Youk's head. If there's anything baseball should take seriously it's headhunters. He's one sick animal, and shouldn't even be allowed to throw pitches in any game.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that in head to head games between the NYY & RS in the last 15 yrs, NYY batters were out-HBP by a 5-3 margin?

I have published these results 5-6 x, and am willing to do it again if necessary, or check baseball reference.com.

While Joba has some screws loose, there must have been alot of sick animals on the RS, starting with Pedro.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Duplicate

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like with Louis Tiant some years ago, this one will be tough to watch.  It will hard to root against Youk.  I'm hoping he will have some good games in some tough losses where somebody else is the goat.  Here's hoping he gets a big hit in the 6th or 7th only to have Joba cough up the lead in the following inning.  Better yet, he makes a terrific play at first and Joba fumbles the toss to the bag.  

[/QUOTE]

If you ever get a genie, and make a wish that specific, he may return to the bottle.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Seeger88's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

By the way - Red Sox always end up with the Yankees.  But it never ever goes the other way - yankees never become red sox (except scrub yankees).

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mark Melancon.

[/QUOTE]

Ramiro Mendoza spent 2004 with the Red Sox and went back to New York in 2005 and pitched one inning giving up two innings.

[/QUOTE]

I agree and remember Mendoza and his career well.

Another former Yankee with the Sox of course Alfredo Aceves.

[/QUOTE] "of course Alfredo Aceves"

The guy we are still waiting on to go down with a bad back you so boldly predicted.

[/QUOTE]

That never happened.

I did point out the reasons Aceves was offered a minor league contract by the Yankees before he signed with the Sox.

He couldn't be counted on down the stretch the season prior because of his back problems, he refused surgery to fix the problem in the off-season (which the Yankees recommended) and then broke his shoulder on a bike mishap.

I questioned whether or not he could hold up pitching as often as he did for the Sox as did countless others because of previous back issues.

[/QUOTE] Bottom line you were wrong.

Next time simply say so and spare me the essay.

[/QUOTE]

Spare me your stalking.

To err is human.

Everyone here has had high expectations for prospects not met.

But the real issue is you fabricating a lie that I "boldly predicted" Aceves would fail.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Zac can refresh your memory.

That you posted that Aceves was sure to experience back problems in Boston.

Those were your words on numerous occassions.

Sorry Pop's but having the advantage of youth on you my memory unlike yours is sharp.

[/QUOTE]

Put Aceves in the rotation as so many here have wanted and see what happens. His point was right on.

[/QUOTE] Aceves was a bp arm in NY and signed as one by Boston.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Even when Aceves was used as a spot starter he didn't experience back problems.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mark Melancon.

[/QUOTE]

Ramiro Mendoza spent 2004 with the Red Sox and went back to New York in 2005 and pitched one inning giving up two innings.

[/QUOTE]

The guy we are still waiting on to go down with a bad back you so boldly predicted.

[/QUOTE]

That never happened.

I did point out the reasons Aceves was offered a minor league contract by the Yankees before he signed with the Sox.

He couldn't be counted on down the stretch the season prior because of his back problems, he refused surgery to fix the problem in the off-season (which the Yankees recommended) and then broke his shoulder on a bike mishap.

I questioned whether or not he could hold up pitching as often as he did for the Sox as did countless others because of previous back issues.

[/QUOTE]

Spare me your stalking.

To err is human.

But the real issue is you fabricating a lie that I "boldly predicted" Aceves would fail.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pop's but having the advantage of youth on you my memory unlike yours is sharp.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that I wrote that I  expected Aceves to have back problems in 2011 which is a stretch from "boldly predicting" them as you stated I did.

Go get those posts if i "boldly predicted it" as  you claim, those posts should still be there.

Aceves  did go against the Yankee Doctors advice and opt against corrective surgery to fix the bulging disk during the 2010 post season.

Aceves was originally diagnosed with a bulging disk by the Yankee doctors in 2010 a problem that dogged him all of the entire 2010 season.

I base my opinions on what I see, with this case on the back issues Aceves suffered with in 2010. Expecting something to happen is a long way from boldly predicting it to.

Was not unreasonable for me to expect him to have the same problems with his back that started in Sept. 2009 and continued all throughout 2010.

The Sox rolled the dice just like they did with Ramiro Mendoza but this time it paid off.

Don't know what your point is other than making yourself look like an idiot who doesn't know when to quit.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-11/sports/27064109_1_phil-hughes-alfredo-aceves-yankee-bullpen

[/QUOTE]

"I expected Aceves to have back problems in 2011"

That sounds like a bold prediction.

You have a strange way of admitting you screwed up.

That's ok. That's what idiots do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I certainly don't see NY viewing Youk as a saviour of any kind. Just someone who can man the position for one year and produce in a decent manner. Yanks are gearing for 2014, while trying to remain competitive for 2013.

[/QUOTE]"yanks gearing for 2014"

Not sure I know what you mean by that.

I think their goal is to stay under the salary cap going forward.

With all their large long term contracts to aging players.

It appears the yanks won't be spending big for sometime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mark Melancon.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That never happened.

[/QUOTE]

Spare me your stalking.

To err is human.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that I wrote that I  expected Aceves to have back problems in 2011 which is a stretch from "boldly predicting" them as you stated I did.

Go get those posts if i "boldly predicted it" as  you claim, those posts should still be there.

Aceves  did go against the Yankee Doctors advice and opt against corrective surgery to fix the bulging disk during the 2010 post season.

Aceves was originally diagnosed with a bulging disk by the Yankee doctors in 2010 a problem that dogged him all of the entire 2010 season.

I base my opinions on what I see, with this case on the back issues Aceves suffered with in 2010. Expecting something to happen is a long way from boldly predicting it to.

Was not unreasonable for me to expect him to have the same problems with his back that started in Sept. 2009 and continued all throughout 2010.

The Sox rolled the dice just like they did with Ramiro Mendoza but this time it paid off.

Don't know what your point is other than making yourself look like an idiot who doesn't know when to quit.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-11/sports/27064109_1_phil-hughes-alfredo-aceves-yankee-bullpen

[/QUOTE]

"I expected Aceves to have back problems in 2011"

That sounds like a bold prediction.

You have a strange way of admitting you screwed up.

That's ok. That's what idiots do.

[/QUOTE]

Look up the words "expect" and "predict" in the dictionary.

Big difference in the meaning and how the two words are used.

Here is an example for you:

I expect us to go over the fiscal cliff but cannot boldly predict it because I am not sure what the future brings.

You sure wake up with a great deal of angst. Might try a new mattress.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no doubt about that HH

no idea what jessey was talkin about either

[/QUOTE]

I know Zac.

Just a case of TWM either miss remembering or afraid to admit he was wrong.

Maybe Jessey will clarify his thought process for us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no doubt about that HH

[/QUOTE]

Should be easy to find the post where I boldly predicted Aceves would go down with an injury.

It was on the site you created.

Kind of like zac belittling the acquisition of Swisher by the Yankees after I pointed out he could very well turn his career around in NY with a change of scenery.

I pointed out a few examples who hads like Brosius and O'Neil then zac began to refer to Swisher as O'Neil in a mocking way.

Mocking me and that point referring to Swisher pre 2009 season as Johnny Plump.

Now Swisher is his boy.

And the Yankees are evil for not resigning him probably blaming Cashman like he did with Aceves instead of the owners.

You guys have a tendency to remember all the things that you like to and forget all the rest.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

no doubt about that HH

[/QUOTE]

I know Zac.

Just a case of TWM either miss remembering or afraid to admit he was wrong.

Maybe Jessey will clarify his thought process for us.

[/QUOTE]

zac always responded to you sucking up to him while you slimed the other posters on that site,

I never bought into your bs. Attacking the females, calling Vic racist names, knocking Jon because he was in the military.

You attack my friends you attack me.

Then you got bounced off that site for all your vile attacks on others.

Ever since I rejected your smarmy advances you've been stalking me on whatever site I go on.

And here is more the same.

A few prospects I talked about on a baseball site didn't pan out. Now that is some heavy stuff to hold against a poster on a baseball forum.