Youks @ Left in Fenway and Gonzo @ Right for away games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Youks @ Left in Fenway and Gonzo @ Right for away games

I think the solution for keeping the best bats in the lineup would be to have Youks and Gonzo essentially platoon in the outfield in a way.  For road games Gonzo can man right field and for games in Fenway Youks can man left like he has done in the past.  I think this way we manage to keep the best bats in the order to put us in the best position to overcome our mediocre starting pitching until it gets to a point where it is strong.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Youks @ Left in Fenway and Gonzo @ Right for away games

In Response to Youks @ Left in Fenway and Gonzo @ Right for away games:
    [QUOTE]I think the solution for keeping the best bats in the lineup would be to have Youks and Gonzo essentially platoon in the outfield in a way.  For road games Gonzo can man right field and for games in Fenway Youks can man left like he has done in the past.  I think this way we manage to keep the best bats in the order to put us in the best position to overcome our mediocre starting pitching until it gets to a point where it is strong.  Thoughts?
    Posted by RedSoxDOrtiz[/QUOTE]
    See below....

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Put Youk in left and see how quickly he has a pulled Hammy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

At Fenway we'll just have to make do with Gonzo @ 1b, either Youk or M'brooks @ 3b, and some combo of Nava-Byrd / Podsednik - Lin from left to right.

Youk won't be in left, Nava won't be in right, and anyone expecting Gonzo to play an adequate right field in Fenway Park just doesn't understand baseball. Why not just play Youk at shortstop otherwise ?  ( sarcasm alert)

Besides , either Sweeney will be back in a few days or the F.O. will be forced to make a move. Possibly a trade ( doubtful ) or rush a prospect to majors ( probable, Linares ? Hassan ? Brentz even ? ) .
    We cannot expect Bobby V and Ben C. to risk Gonzalez in right in Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think Bobby leaves Gonzo in right. We'll see.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In Response to Re: Youks @ Left in Fenway and Gonzo @ Right for away games:
    [QUOTE]according to what francona said on MLB network a few nights ago, youk does not want to ever play the OF again. let a-gone play LF at fenway and move NAVA to RF.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Well I guess that's a tough call from a player to make... It would certainly not be a good way of being viewed by the public if this indeed happens and Youks refuses to help the team where it needs help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

AGone only in RF which makes sense

Against LHSP, Youk has to be in the line-up - align it anyway you want - WM out, AG out, AG in RF, whatever, just need KY in their vs Lefties.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Youk in any OF spot is a complete nightmare, defensivly and a big injury risk...Gonzo in RF in smaller ballparks is ok, just NOT Fenway...Someone might have to sit out a game between Gonzo, Youk, WMB, and Papi...There is interest in Youk right now, so as they say...Things have a way of working themselves out...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

A week ago, I was against the notion of Gonzo playing RF. Well, he prove me wrong on that ... he can handle it, at least on the road. Playing RF in Fenway is a whole different animal. And Youk in the outfield is a frightening thought.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I like it, but I'm not sure the team will cooperate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bobby and Ben have made the right decisions until now "TRUST" they will continue to do what's best for the team.

It's pretty simple--it's still RF--if the ball goes down the line it's probably a double. If it goes in the gap it's a double  and if it goes overAGon's head it's a double or HR.

The CF'der can help on gappers and very short flies. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It takes all kinds to play the game...I've watched guys, like me, running with a piano on their backs---they are really slow.

The positioning is the key to playing good defense, infield or outfield, you know the coaches, who position the OF, have scouting reports that know the tendencies. The three balls I have seen AGon catch were primarily down the line in Philly and at Oriole Park. I think they are having AGon play the line more and have the CF cover the RCF gap. 

It's logical--and it's probable one hit down the line, rolling around the wall may result in a HR. That's life--things like that occasionally happen to outfielders, even gold glove OF'ders.

[QUOTE]I love having slow outfielders. It's loads of fun seeing balls rattle around with grown men chasing them while others hop and skip around the bases.
    Posted by Flattiehater[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I either read or heard (please don't ask for a link) that GMs are looking for a healthy Youk at 3rd or 1st.  If that is true and the RS are really thinking about shopping him wouldn't they best be served to leave him at 1 of those positions and not the OF?  I would think that playing Middlebrooks in left might work with some practice.  I would also think though that playing 20 of the last 21, some rotation might be better served to get these guys some rest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

i wonder if some reps at short would work for middlebrooks, he played that position in college. aviles has played the outfield some as a red sox.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'm fine with whatever Bobby V comes up with because by and large it seems as though the players trust him, especially when his $20M/year firstbaseman volunteers to play RF, not only in Philly to get Ortiz into the lineup, but in Baltimore to get Youk back in.  This helped the Sox win 5 of 8 on a very tough road trip against two frontrunners in the AL East and the perennial champ in the NL East. 

I doubt Bobby will put Youk in LF because Youk did try that for like 40 games or so way back when and was terrible.  He is a veteran who has done a lot for his team and merits some respect when he says it's a bad fit. Moreover, if the Sox remain serious about trading Youk, the best positions to showcase him are 1B and 3B.  And let's not forget that, if Youk is indeed the Youk of old, he can be very useful in Boston this season. 

You can bet AGon would express the same reluctance as Youk if he weren't in fact a pretty good outfielder despite the worst wheels since Babe Ruth played RF for the Yankees.  You cannot watch AGon out there making those grabs near and outside the line and not see that he just knows what he is doing in the outfield.  Heck, he even made one catch after sliding to slow his momentum, which allowed him to not crash into the wall.  Plus he has an accurate arm and a quick release.

As I wrote on another thread, I think Bobby V is more likely to use Middlebrooks or AGon in the outfield, and I think he will want to do that because, with all the good outfield bats (Ells, CC, Ross, Sweeney) on the DL, he is going to want to get as many other good bats into the lineup as he can. 

The Sox are trying to break the .500 barrier for the fourth time this year and this time against the most likely AL East champs, the Rays, the same team the Sox split with in Tampa and took three out of four from at Fenway. 

Tonight look for Middlebrooks or AGon in RF and Youk at 3B or 1B. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

ouk in any OF spot is a complete nightmare, defensivly and a big injury risk...Gonzo in RF in smaller ballparks is ok

Youk is owed a few months of pay and he's done with the Red Sox. AGon is still owed about 150 million. So, your comment is the comment of an idiot. Youk needs to be ordered to play LF in Fenway and "smaller ballpark" smallest corner OF spot. In close games where Red Sox have lead in late innings, Youk needs to find the bench.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It is understood that Fenway is a very big RF and for a slow footed OF it could be challenging, so I would avoid Agon with the OF we have right now. Now if Ells was in Center and CC was in left(two guys who can cover ground), you could shade them to RF, which if you take a way the Gap in RF, makes Fenways RF significantly smaller.....so I think Agon could handle it. With Byrd/Sweeney in Center and Nava in left....you do not have that Luxury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]ouk in any OF spot is a complete nightmare, defensivly and a big injury risk...Gonzo in RF in smaller ballparks is ok Youk is owed a few months of pay and he's done with the Red Sox. AGon is still owed about 150 million. So, your comment is the comment of an idiot. Youk needs to be ordered to play LF in Fenway and "smaller ballpark" smallest corner OF spot. In close games where Red Sox have lead in late innings, Youk needs to find the bench.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

You just don't get it.  Some guys can't handle the outfield, not because they aren't willing to try, but because they can't.  Youk played 40 or so games out there and struggled. 

You also don't get that right now Youk can help this club.  Yes, he could well be gone at the end of this season or even sooner, but right now he is swinging a pretty good bat and looking a lot like the Youk of old.   It makes sense to find a spot where he can contribute, and right now that looks like 1B or 3B.  

AGon, meanwhile, has looked pretty adept out there even though he's pretty slow-footed.  And Middlebrooks might be able to do a stint in LF. 

And what is this thing you have for ordering a player to do something?  Are you some kind of martinet, or are you thinking about a court order? Either way, you don't seem to understand that at the MLB level ordering doesn't occur very often and rarely works.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

You just don't get it.  Some guys can't handle the outfield, not because they aren't willing to try, but because they can't.  Youk played 40 or so games out there and struggled. 

You also don't get that right now Youk can help this club.

Your patronizing comment is intellectually pitiful. Manny struggled for more than 40 games in the OF. A lot of current MLB OF'ers struggle because they aren't good defensive OF'ers.

I just commented how absurd it was for the idiots who are suggesting that now is the time to try and trade Youk. I went into detail on what to do with him and the timeline to do so.

In all of your patronizing finger service, you never addressed how patently abusrd it is to put AGon in the OF, with nearly 150 million owed and coming off shoulder surgery, but putting Youk out there, owed a few more months of pay, is "a nightmare" because "he can't play out there".

The fact is that the chances in a single OF position are high percentage few per game and seldom have any outcome game changing consequence. Which is why, when the team is leading in latter innings, Youk or any other out of place OF'er would come out for, get this, are you ready, a defensive OF substitute!

As to "ordering doesn't happen", you obviously don't understand the CBA. The fact is that if Youkilis is ordered to play OF and refuses to go out there, he is subject to CBA suspensions and financial sanctions.

What a team player does is tell the manager he doesn't have any confidence he can handle chances in the OF, but will play wherever the manager says to play and give it his best. I think Youk would fall in that category, but the manager must order players from time to time or he has no authority.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Manny may not have been a good fielder, but OF was the position he played his entire career. He actually did have decent skills, his biggest problem was mental lapses and lack of concentration.

Youk came up as an infielder and has been terrible in the outfield. Late inning defensive substitutions will do no good if the fielding mistakes are made early in the game and lead to too many opposing runs being scored.

Any authority a manager has should not be wasted on ordering players what to do. His authority should be used to ensure that each player gives his best effort and does what is best for the team. If a poor martinet manager harms the team by giving bad orders, the players should "frag" him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Manny may not have been a good fielder, but OF was the position he played his entire career. He actually did have decent skills, his biggest problem was mental lapses and lack of concentration. Youk came up as an infielder and has been terrible in the outfield. Late inning defensive substitutions will do no good if the fielding mistakes are made early in the game and lead to too many opposing runs being scored. Any authority a manager has should not be wasted on ordering players what to do. His authority should be used to ensure that each player gives his best effort and does what is best for the team. If a poor martinet manager harms the team by giving bad orders, the players should "frag" him.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

I was going to comment on this thread, but after this brilliant response, I am just going to agree with david.

I am in total agreement with this response.

Thanks david.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Manny may not have been a good fielder, but OF was the position he played his entire career. He actually did have decent skills, his biggest problem was mental lapses and lack of concentration. Youk came up as an infielder and has been terrible in the outfield. Late inning defensive substitutions will do no good if the fielding mistakes are made early in the game and lead to too many opposing runs being scored. Any authority a manager has should not be wasted on ordering players what to do. His authority should be used to ensure that each player gives his best effort and does what is best for the team. If a poor martinet manager harms the team by giving bad orders, the players should "frag" him.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Managers also need to put players in situations where they will have the greatest chances to succeed....Which is why no matter how you align things, Youk has got to start vs LHSP's......

Sections
Shortcuts