Youk's Hand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Youk's Hand

Anyone have an inury report?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Youk's Hand

I haven't heard anything,  but he doubled in a run right after it happened, so I'm guessing he's OK.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think its an issue at all AM..just got his hand caught between the glove and ball..Like Lloyd said, he doubled after the fact so i think hes OK..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Thanks guys

I have already conceded that Lowrie is toast - possibly forever

Need Lester to be strong on Monday and Buck to have a good session tomorrow

Get this team healthy and there will be no stopping us

But without Youk I do not like our chances

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah AM, ive come to that conclusion on Lowrie too..Seems kinda fragile at this point..Im prob gonna get blasted for that, but Thats how i view him now..I hope he can stay healthy, but not that confident..With beckett, Lester, a healthy Buch come september, and this offense staying relativly healthy, I too love our chances..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I liked Lowrie and if you are also referring to Ellsbury I have never put him down....I've always been a huge fan and now he's surpassing my expectations power-wise....If he sustains that power we are talking about possibly the best CF'er since Fredd Lynn........But back to Lowrie - I supported him up until this last injury.  Not the injury so much but the fact that he is STILL out. 

He can hit and fields what he can get too - I thought he'd provide great value off the bench for us for the next several years........but I am done with him - he is made of glass.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Jed Lowrie (shoulder) is "much improved" and could begin swinging a bat next week.
    Good news. Lowrie has been able to take grounders but has yet to test out his shoulder in the cage. Once he shows he's able to swing without pain, he's likely to head out on a rehab assignment. Jul. 16 - 8:43 am et
    Source: Boston Globe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

With Lowrie, it's gotten to the point where talk is cheap.  We should only believe he is healthy when we see him play.  But even then, we know that he could go down again at the drop of a hat.......

4 seaons and notta single one without being injured - not to mention when he goes down he stays down for extended periods of time........He makes Drew look like the Iron Man........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Lowrie's injury is very ill-placed for him. He was making a bid to slot himself as Scoot's replacement next year. If Reddick proves himself instead, I'd slot Reddick in as our starting RF'er next year, let Drew, Paps, and Scoot walk and use all that free'd payroll to go after Jose Reyes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

it is hard to believe that anyone can criticise a guy like lowrie for getting injured even as many times as he has.   injuries are part of the game, and unfortunately for lowrie, he has already had a bunch of them.

lowrie may never make it, but it is foolish to think that  he "stays injured" on purpose as all of these young guys like lowrie would kill to get to be on the field. 

they know that getting onto the field is a process for most of them, but they all fully understand that the only way they are going to ever make the big money is through what they do on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

no one said he gets hurt "on purpose"

some guys are more injury prone than others

Lowrie has proven himself to be a huge injury risk - 4 years in a row out of 4 years in the ML's I think qualifies as such

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Lowrie placing himself as Scoots replacement. There is no way in the damn world that guy can play everyday SS. Hes a butcher in the field and a below average hitter. His start to the season was a complete fluke and he was awful before getting hurt. Hes a platoon guy at best. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Youk's Hand:
    Lowrie's injury is very ill-placed for him. He was making a bid to slot himself as Scoot's replacement next year. If Reddick proves himself instead, I'd slot Reddick in as our starting RF'er next year, let Drew, Paps, and Scoot walk and use all that free'd payroll to go after Jose Reyes.
    Posted by NUSoxFan

Lowrie placing himself as Scoots replacement? There is no way in the damn world that guy can play everyday SS. Hes a butcher in the field and a below average hitter. His start to the season was a complete fluke and he was awful before getting hurt. Add to that his body is made of glass, im not saying hes faking it hes just always injured. 

Hes a platoon guy at best. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdean. Show bigdean's posts

Lowrie placing himself as Scoots replacement. There is no way in the damn world that guy can play everyday SS. Hes a butcher in the field and a below average hitter. His start to the season was a complete fluke and he was awful before getting hurt. Hes a platoon guy at best. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

One thing about Lowrie is the fact that he can't stay healthy.  That being said I am not so sure he can ever be an everyday player.  He does need to work on his defense.  But Scoot is playing hurt too.  His throwing shoulder is weak.  I am not sure Navarro is the answer should Scoot miss some time.  Can anyone say Orlando Cabrera?  He is being platooned in Cleveland and the asking price would be affordable.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How about Alex Gonzalez? 

That way, come Novemember, we can watch Theo toss one of the game's greatest defensive SS's out on his can for a laughable THREE times.........only to continue the quest for a new SS once again........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

This really is only the second injury Jed Lowrie has suffered at the MLB level. He hurt his wrist during his 2008 call-up and kept playing with it. The course of treatment he and the medical staff chose was to use the winter's rest to heal it.

This turned out to be a mistake and caused him to quickly need to be put on the DL in early 2009. Invasive procedures were used, he rehabed and was called back up in August. As it turns up he was probably called up too soon because the wrist was quickly re-injured with the same issue. He was activated from the DL in September and looked OK at the plate.

Given how long he had struggled with the wrist already, the RS felt they could not bet the "farm" on Lowrie in 2010 and went ahead and signed Scoot to a two year deal with a 3rd year club option.

Fast forward. He comes to spring training in 2010 and contracts mono. Not an injury, mono. That kept him on the DL again until August of 2010.

And here we are in 2011 and he has injured his shoulder. So what we have is two injuries that have created the perception that Lowrie is an often injured player. It has been only two injuries.

I only go through this exercise because it has become widely accepted that Lowrie has had lots of injuries. The wrist issues which started in 2009 would have been much more contained if the RS initially treated them more aggressively. We do know that they did not have really good options behind Lowrie who was already called up to cover an injured Lugo. And he may have balked at a more invasive approach. But that decision and not an inherent frailty is the cause of the amount of time he has spent on the DL.

Just the same he has had trouble staying on the field and it would be troubling to count on him as your every day guy without a strong back-up plan behind him.  But the rap that now has been assigned to Lowrie isn't totally accurate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Hmmm....Lowrie , toast?....

Looks more like someone else to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Narya. Show Narya's posts

Thank you fivekatz for introducing a dose of reality into this very subjective discussion (yes I'm talking to you andrewmitch and jamesey271975).   YTD in the AL among SS, Lowrie ranks 8th out of 23 in BA (ahead of Scoot btw), 12th in RBIs, 13th in OBP, 8th in SLG, 8th in OPS.  So, by most OBJECTIVE standards, he's above average.
    And while he certainly can't be considered a durable guy yet, take away the mono (which he had NO control over) and the poor treatment decisions on the wrist (ultimately made by the team), and his injury history is probably pretty typical.
    That said, I have always felt his game could benefit from getting a little more bulked up, which might also help with his injuries (TOTALLY unscientific conclusion).  Maybe an off season at API?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdean. Show bigdean's posts

How about Alex Gonzalez?  That way, come Novemember, we can watch Theo toss one of the game's greatest defensive SS's out on his can for a laughable THREE times.........only to continue the quest for a new SS once again........
    Posted by andrewmitch

I doubt that the Braves would trade Alex.  Keep in mind that Theo was not the only team to let Alex go.  Toronto traded him to Atlanta last season while he was having the best year of his career.  Cabrera would come cheap.  I also think we should add a right handed reliever because Jenks can't seem to stay healthy at all.  Albers and Aceves are doing a fine job when they are setting up for Bard and Pap.  But adding another reliever would take some of the load off those two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Youk's Foot

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The point is, is that when comes to SS's, you don't want Theo involved in making the decisions.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Claiming that Lowrie was awful offensively before getting hurt is also inaccurate.  He hurt his shoulder in an on field collision, at which time he was hitting over .280.  He continued to play injured and his batting line fell off sharply.  He then went on the DL.  So by the time he went on the DL he had been hurt and playing hurt for a couple of weeks.  And still, his 2011 offensive numbers are better than Suctaro's.  IMO Lowrie would actually be the better of the two defensively as well.  Scutaro has little range and no arm.  Kind of two weaknesses that hinder the value of a SS?

So, the lack of anything here to do with Youkilis must mean his hand is ok?  That and the fact that he is in tonight's lineup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The point is, is that when comes to SS's, you don't want Theo involved in making the decisions.......
    Posted by andrewmitch

You mean that Theo should have known ahead of the Renteria signing that his fragile mind couldn't handle the Boston spotlight and that the infield never wasn't responsible for many of those errors. Why then did they reconstruct the infield this past preseason - what a waste of money?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

** on Kevin Youkilis getting hit while fielding a ground ball last night:

"Hit him right in the hand," Francona said. "Got a bruise. Obviously, he's OK. He came back and waffled one to left. It hit more hand than glove."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2004 - Let OC walk

2005 - Renteria debacle - 30 errors and had to eat a lot of salary

2006 - Let Alex Gonzalez walk

2009 - Lugo - had to eat a lot of salary

2009 - Let Alex Gonzalez walk; has a career year offensively

2011 - Will have to buy out Marco for a mil and half

Sections
Shortcuts