Your 1-2-3 hitters for 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Your 1-2-3 hitters for 2013

I don't care if Ellsbury hits 2nd or 3rd, or if Pedroia hits 2nd or 3rd, Ciriaco may be the best lead off man we've had since Damon; and maybe better than Damon!

These 3 will be 1-2-3 (barring injury) for a long time. Get Ortiz and Middlebrooks back, and we're gonna love this team!

(One of these you're going to see Ciriaco wind up at second on a walk.) Yes, it's been done!  By Billy Werber (on Bill Dickey, of all people.)

Baseball like we haven't seen for a long time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Your 1-2-3 hitters for 2013

Ciriaco has a .312 OBP this year, a career .318 OBP in MLB, and a minor league OBP of .299 in over 3500 PAs. In contrast, Iggy has a .313 minor league OBP career.

Please.

My guess:

1) Pods

2) Pedey

3) Papi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ciriaco has a .312 OBP this year, a career .318 OBP in MLB, and a minor league OBP of .299 in over 3500 PAs. In contrast, Iggy has a .313 minor league OBP career.

Please.

My guess:

1) Pods

2) Pedey

3) Papi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ciriaco is an exciting player, but rough around the edges. He needs to improve his OBP to warrant hitting leadoff.  Pods is 36.  I would not bring him back. We should try to go younger.  Anyway , it is hard to predict the lineup without knowing what off season moves will be coming.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ciriaco is an exciting player, but rough around the edges. He needs to improve his OBP to warrant hitting leadoff.  Pods is 36.  I would not bring him back. We should try to go younger.  Anyway , it is hard to predict the lineup without knowing what off season moves will be coming.

[/QUOTE]

It was my guess- not my choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. What don,t people get? We are in rebuilding mode for 2013, and maybe 14 too. Guy,s like pods, cook, Ross and even Papi (whom I love for all he,s done for us) have no business on next yrs team, because they will be taking innings, ab,s away from Kalish, Doubront, Tazawa, Morales, Lava, Brentz etc...whom we can hopefully use as chips to land a stud or 2 in a package. Ciriaco is, AT BEST...a utility player on a playoff team. Can we pls ALL wake up and realize that there are some very tough decisions coming up and doing the right thing for the future may not not be the popular thing for today. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was my guess- not my choice.

[/QUOTE]

I know.  Pods has done a decent job , but I don't think he will be back.  Even if Ellsbury is traded , I just don't see a spot for Podsednik.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In my opinion, neither Ciriaco nor Podnesnik will be everyday players in 2013, but I think both make the team. Ciriaco will serve as a utility player at 3rd, SS, 2B and maybe the OF.

So I don't think that anyone can speculate on the top 3 hitters when, again IMO, only Pedroia and Middlebrooks are certainties to even be here on opening day 2013.

On the other hand I think it's a high probability that Lavernway and Salty both return and if a trade for Andrus does not come to fruition then Aviles could be back also. Ross is a strong possibility to return as well, but another OF bat will be needed.

What would the reaction be if somehow both Upton brothers ended up in Boston in 2013? I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about it, but it might be an interesting thing to see.

I'd like to forget about Iglisias as I don't see this kid ever getting the bat above the Mendoza line and although he's got a good glove it's not enough to be a fulltime player in a market like Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I feel like I am in the twilight zone. What don,t people get? We are in rebuilding mode for 2013, and maybe 14 too. Guy,s like pods, cook, Ross and even Papi (whom I love for all he,s done for us) have no business on next yrs team, because they will be taking innings, ab,s away from Kalish, Doubront, Tazawa, Morales, Lava, Brentz etc...whom we can hopefully use as chips to land a stud or 2 in a package. Ciriaco is, AT BEST...a utility player on a playoff team. Can we pls ALL wake up and realize that there are some very tough decisions coming up and doing the right thing for the future may not not be the popular thing for today. 

I mostly agree, but wouldn't mind seeing Ross return for a 2-3 year deal.

I think Ellsbury will be traded while the comp pick value is still attached (before 2013 begins). If this happenes, there will be plenty of playing time for Kalish, Brentz and Linares if they all are healthy and looking good in ST. Having Pods and Ross will not get in their way of development. My guess is there is no way everyone stays healthy and productive, so we will need a 4/5th OF'er anyways.

I do not think Bradley will be ready for the bigs on opening day. I do not think Hazelabker,  Lin or Hassan are realistic ML ready prospects, but I can see the point of giving them a shot, but shouldn't they first show they can produce in AAA before getting a long look or a long stretch of sitting on the bench in the bigs?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It's more likely that Ciriaco won't make the team than the team will bat him leadoff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Who would give Ross 3 years? Maybe the Pirates or the A's. So should ink him for two years, pay a bit more but go no further.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

First off, how does anyone know who's even going to be on the team next spring?

Secondly, Ciriaco has walked three times this season. Hardly what you want in a leadoff man.

If Posednik is staring next spring, the front office has totally dropped the ball in the off season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ross has been okay , but he is not necessarily someone we need to re-sign.  He is basically a mistake hitter. Good Fenway power. Strikes out a lot. Probably better off platooned. Average , at best , defensively.   Good clubhouse guy.  All in all , decent  but nothing special.  It is a mistake to want to keep veterans like him , Podsednik and Aviles , while talking about getting rid of guys like Iglesias. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

I don't care if Ellsbury hits 2nd or 3rd, or if Pedroia hits 2nd or 3rd, Ciriaco may be the best lead off man we've had since Damon; and maybe better than Damon!

These 3 will be 1-2-3 (barring injury) for a long time. Get Ortiz and Middlebrooks back, and we're gonna love this team!

(One of these you're going to see Ciriaco wind up at second on a walk.) Yes, it's been done!  By Billy Werber (on Bill Dickey, of all people.)

Baseball like we haven't seen for a long time.

Ciraco is an exciting player but undisciplined at the plate and therefore unsuited for the leadoff role.  He has great plate coverage but he swings at everything.  The question is will he develop into a Vlad Guerrero or Alfonso Soeriano type hitter.  Regardless, as pointed out his OBP doesn't support him hitting first.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"The question is will he develop into a Vlad Guerrero or..."  Huh?   More like Vladimir Putin than Vladimir Guerrero, I'm afraid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Posednik is staring next spring, the front office has totally dropped the ball in the off season.

The reason I put Pods up first for opening day is because we may take a wait and see approach to our future OF. We may not sign anyone big and Ells will likely be traded. That leaves guys like Pods to hold down the fort duruing the "bridge year" until Brentz, Bradley, Lineares,  Kalish or whoever is ready.

I'm not saying there's a 51% chance Pods leads off next year. It may be more like a 5-10% chance, but that may be more than the chance Ells or Ciriaco has.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I don't care how many times Ciriaco has walked this year, or what his OBP is. He is improving by the day as far as his plate control goes, and he is totally fearless. He is 15 for 15 in SB, and that's un heard of for a rookie who is supposed to "learn the pitcher", Heck, the pitchers can't "learn" him! I'm looking at what these three will be NEXT YEAR, an not what they are now.

This combination is dynomite! And not bringing back Ortiz would be the most stupid move this team could make. For the first time in his entire career, he is hitting lH pitching almost as good as RH pitching.

N Posedic won't be back; therare toomay Nava's around.They relad him wnhea hitin bout330 din't hey?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

We could try Ciriaco leading off for a while, but our leadoff hitter is probably going to be JBJ before too long.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't care how many times Ciriaco has walked this year, or what his OBP is. He is improving by the day as far as his plate control goes, and he is totally fearless. He is 15 for 15 in SB, and that's un heard of for a rookie who is supposed to "learn the pitcher", Heck, the pitchers can't "learn" him! I'm looking at what these three will be NEXT YEAR, an not what they are now.

I know I get accused of using numbers too much, but they don't lie.

Ciriaco had a .333 career BA & .350 career OBP before this year in a small 40 PA sample size.                          He began this year as a house on fire. He was at .360/.373 on August 26th. He's at .296/.315 now. I'm sorry, but I don't see that as "improving by the day", insread, I see it as reverting closer to his minor league career totals with over 3,500 PAs: .272/.299.

His last 100 PAs: .234/.265.

Playing Ciriaco will not be about his offense: it will be about defense and speed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This combination is dynomite! And not bringing back Ortiz would be the most stupid move this team could make. For the first time in his entire career, he is hitting lH pitching almost as good as RH pitching.

N Posedic won't be back; therare toomay Nava's around.They relad him wnhea hitin bout330 din't hey?

[/QUOTE]

A while back, I made a post about Ciriaco and how his regression would set in once his BABIP normalized.  So far, that post has been looking very accurate.

Ciriaco should be on the 2012 team, but not even as the starting shortstop, let alone the leadoff hitter.

I do agree Podsednik is gone, possibly into retirement...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

1)  Elles

2) Pedroia

3) Agon .... oh wait that can't happen... um it is anyones guess.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.