Your 1st place Boston Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Your 1st place Boston Red Sox

How do you like them now? Carl Crawford all of a sudden looks like the second coming of Roberto Clemente, Gonzo looks like he wants to break Foxx's record, the defense looks mostly sound as does the pitching. Ells seems to be doing his best Rickey Henderson impersonation. And Beckett and Big Papi are evoking happy memories of 2007. This is the team everyone was talking about in January and February.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Your 1st place Boston Red Sox

Tomorrow is Clay against Oliver and Sunday is Beckett against Verlander.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Verlander will be out for blood.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Your 1st place Boston Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]Verlander will be out for blood.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]That's right, we beat him last time didn't we? Still, Beckett has been consistently excellent since mid April, and right now I think this lineup could hit anyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I like UR optimism.
    The team will need any and all they can get against "V".
    This guy is 49-22 at home!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I like UR optimism. The team will need any and all they can get against "V". This guy is 49-22 at home!
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]If Beckett pitches the way he has been they won't need much offense. And Crawfiord looks to be on one of those you can't stop me tears he used to torture us with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It was so hard to swallow the start of this season.  Thoughts of being overrated were there, but we knew we weren't that bad.  I knew, we knew, the season would turn around.......but boy did it turn around quick.  Now I'm sure there will be some valleys during the season but I don't think it will be bad as the start.  I do however think that the team of lately is a much better representation of what this team is. 

To think that after that awful awful start that a month later not even a third of the way through the season we have taken over first place.

Still a lot of baseball left to play, but much to cheer for right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Funny how we haven't seen one positive Crawford thread despite a team-best tear.
    Let him go a few games hitless, and the 20-million-dollar-man threads will re-appear.

Welcome to Boston CC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how we haven't seen one positive Crawford thread despite a team-best tear. Let him go a few games hitless, and the 20-million-dollar-man threads will re-appear. Welcome to Boston CC.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Isn't it funny how that works? I had started a thread a while ago speculating that Crawford might be the next Hall of Fame LF in Boston, but I think it got archived during the Law thread bumping cleanup, so I don't think I could revive it. I may have to start another Crawford thread, if only to p#ss off softy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your 1st place Boston Red Sox : Isn't it funny how that works? I had started a thread a while ago speculating that Crawford might be the next Hall of Fame LF in Boston, but I think it got archived during the Law thread bumping cleanup, so I don't think I could revive it. I may have to start another Crawford thread, if only to p#ss off softy.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Do it!

It will certainly be more worthwhile than a lot of what's on the pages of late.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how we haven't seen one positive Crawford thread despite a team-best tear. Let him go a few games hitless, and the 20-million-dollar-man threads will re-appear. Welcome to Boston CC.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

great point.

I for one am not surprised at his level of play lately.  It is nice to see the Crawford that we signed, and not the sub .200 guy.  He has really shown us lately  why he was a such a coveted player.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your 1st place Boston Red Sox : Isn't it funny how that works? I had started a thread a while ago speculating that Crawford might be the next Hall of Fame LF in Boston, but I think it got archived during the Law thread bumping cleanup, so I don't think I could revive it. I may have to start another Crawford thread, if only to p#ss off softy.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Ive seen that before.. a bunch of older threads at the top with no new posts..How do they do that and why does BDC allow it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I think we all knew that Crawford would probably hit again didn't we? The discussion was mainly about the fit and whether he will ever be worth that contract. He usually has started slow, just not this slow.

Papi is the big surprise to me. I expected Ellsbury, Buchholz and Lester...etc. I expected less from Gonzalez but we had no idea what we would get from Papi and indications are it will be his best year since 2007. Youk is close to what I expected with Pedroia under projections. Papi might be a 30 HR, .300 hitter with a .380 OBP. That is big in the 5 hole after Youk and Adrian. That is huge in this lineup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Bring on Verlander! This LH dominant lineup definitely gives us a shot. With Beckett pitching I think we are favored. Porcello and Scherzer were no slouches and they body slammed those guys. Also, Detroit looks to be a pretty easy park to pop an occasional HR in RF. With this lineup someone probably hits it out even against Verlander. Maybe 2 even. 

Good opportunity to really cement this team as the clear front runner. We haven't even played that many games at home yet have we? We are positioned well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We need a nickname for these guys folks. Any ideas? The word "Bludgeon" comes to mind but it is not going to work as part of a nickname but these guys just pound the other teams into submission.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I was thinking the exact same thing Harness.  Andrewmitch is very quiet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your 1st place Boston Red Sox : I was thinking the exact same thing Harness.  Andrewmitch is very quiet.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

You mean, I really didn't have to put him on my ignore list?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sounds nice....can Josh come up huge again against another elite pitcher???? le tthe good times roll...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford ia a career .295 hitter. 5 out last 6 seasons over .300, his off season he hit .275, do you really think all of a sudden he is a .250 hitter. he'll be over .300 by seasons ends.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]Of course he will. I personally think he was a great pick up, especially since we kept him away from the Angels or possibly the Yankees. Also there is a strong possibility that the Sox won't want to meet Ellsbury's contract demands when he reaches free agency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The last four or five weeks have been great, no question. But everyone please keep in mind the Sox will lose again. Maybe a few in a row. Maybe by blowing leads in the ninth. When it happens, there is no need to look for high bridges.

This team will be fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]This guy is 49-22 at home!

Hey, 49-23 still will be very very good.

Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Afternoon Roy and all... congrats guys,finally made it to the other side of the hill huh?...Tongue outWink....worth the wait ain't it?...every team in this division is gonna take lumps...imo these 4 months are gonna be fun....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Hey Jete...I agree.  The Yanks win a few in a row and then lose one and Joe G gets grilled and really looks like he hates it.  The first Kim Jones question after a loss is often painful.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Something I think many fans haven't thought about during the slow start this year and last is the history between us and the NYY because if they did they might have found more comfort in that history.

During my lifetime the RS rivalry had been going on for awhile but the team's trajectory had not run in parallel until the 70's. And almost every time the two were posed to battle for AL East supremacy, the RS got off to the fast start the NYY the slow start with only a couple of exceptions. And in every case not only were the RS not able to run away and hide, but almost every time the NYY ended up with more wins after 162 (except 78 when it took 163).

So while 2-10 is a nasty hole and that hole means the RS have less margin for error later in this season, the marathon has never been about who gets out of the block fastest.

The division is very solid and we have worthy opponents that won't go away. Injuries tend to define seasons and while it is unlikely the RS will go through what they did in 2010 again that is something not in anyone's control.

While I thought the RS could get over the hump by the allstar break and never thought Memorial Day was realistic this seemed inevitable. As does the fact that it will be a hard fought race all year.