Your Best Fenway Experiences

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

Your Best Fenway Experiences

So apparently there was some buzz today about how Larry Lucchino talked about the Fenway Sellout streak in jeopardy this April. I thought the streak was pretty cool back when the record was broken back in '09 (or was it '08?), but ever since then it's become annoying to hear about.

Anyway, on the subject of the Fens, I just wanted to hear some of your best experiences there. I always enjoy hearing others tell their stories about the Park, given all the history that has ever went down in that Baseball Cathedral.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Your Best Fenway Experiences

In response to KPfromCT's comment:

So apparently there was some buzz today about how Larry Lucchino talked about the Fenway Sellout streak in jeopardy this April. I thought the streak was pretty cool back when the record was broken back in '09 (or was it '08?), but ever since then it's become annoying to hear about.

Anyway, on the subject of the Fens, I just wanted to hear some of your best experiences there. I always enjoy hearing others tell their stories about the Park, given all the history that has ever went down in that Baseball Cathedral.

last summer i went to my first game at Fenway in over 10 years, my dad and i ended up on top of the green monster. Went to 2 other games last season but that one was the best obviously, Lester pitched a great outing and Papi went yard, too bad Aceves blew the save :(

i was so excited to go because Jacoby had just got back in the lineup but unfortunately BV sat him that game. I was pretty bummed out, but just being in the stadium for the first time in forever and ending up on top of the monster made cheered me up pretty quickly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Sitting in sun in the bleachers on a warm June day, watching Luis Tiant twist and turn his way to a 6 to 0 complete game (I think it was against the Tigers, but I'm not certain).  Everything was right with the world that day.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Almost all my Fenway experiences have been great.  One thing that sticks out, though, is being at a game in 1975 against the A's when Yaz and Reggie Jackson both homered into the right field seats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I have two great experiences.  It would be easy for me to say that april 19th 2008 was the best, as I got to experience Jon Lester throw his no hitter, but it is not my most fondest memory.  I'd have to say back in october of 2007.  Early in the day before game one of the 2007 ALCS I was scrambling to find someone who would go with me to the game (I had one extra ticket)  My father said he would go with me if I couldn't find someone else.  Well right around the time I needed to start packing up to head up to Boston I found a friend who would go with me if he didn't have to pay me back for the ticket (he would buy gas and food).  When I called my dad to tell him I didn't need him to go he answered the phone and the first thing he said was "are you ready to go son?"  My heart kinda sank.  It never occured to me that even though my father isn't a huge baseball fan like myself that he might have legitimately looked forward to spending the time with me, knowing how much the game meant.

Obviously I told my friend to get lost and went up to the game with my Father.  It was my frist post season experience and it blew me away.  There is nothing like 40,000 people all on their feet on a 3-2 count all waiting in anticipation and hoping for the same...exact...thing, a STRIKE OUT! and everytime Becket Striked someone out or a Red Sox got a hit the excitement in the crowd was 10 fold to that of a regular season game.  It was very electriying. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BombBuster. Show BombBuster's posts

My daughter is a "Make A Wish" kid and her only wish was to go to Fenway and meet Papi. Still brings a tear to my eye to see the picture of her with Papi, Manny and Becket all sitting on Terrys bench near the top of the dugout with a smile from ear to ear! 2nd place having Ted Wiliams wave to me as a kid with my dad next to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In 1997, my late father and I went to see Roger Clemens' return to Fenway as a Blue Jay.  My late father was a Blue Jays fan.  

It was so strange to see Roger in a Blue-colored uniform.  I enjoyed my time with my late father but I did not like the result of the game as Toronto won 3-1 and Clemens struck out 16 Bosox batters.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I've got a couple days that stand out.

The first was Opening Day in 2005, with the ring ceremony and Mariano Rivera's reception.

It was a gorgeous day and a lot of fun. A win again the Yankees was a nice bonus.

The second was taking my grandsons to their first game.

It was the 14 inning marathon in June of 2011, against the A's.

The game had it all; a blown 4 run lead, ejections and a Sox win, after a JD Drew single with two out and two on...

Couldn't ask for a better "first game".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Watching Pedro pitch. Nothing compares.

(I never saw Tiant live.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Although most days at Fenway are a good day,my favorite would have to be 1986,Clemens pitching game 7 of the ALCS.The Sox won 8-1 to clinch.Home runs by Rice and Dewey.Dave Henderson was heroic in that series.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to BombBuster's comment:

My daughter is a "Make A Wish" kid and her only wish was to go to Fenway and meet Papi. Still brings a tear to my eye to see the picture of her with Papi, Manny and Becket all sitting on Terrys bench near the top of the dugout with a smile from ear to ear! 2nd place having Ted Wiliams wave to me as a kid with my dad next to me.

That's a cool story.They're a great organization.My niece's daughter is a make a wish child too.They paid for a vacation to Disney for her last year.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Going to Fenway park in Sep 75 and watching Luis Tiant pitch a 2-0 win against Jim Palmer and the Orioles. I believe Rico and Fisk went yard that game. got box seats for $5. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Going to Fenway park in Sep 75 and watching Luis Tiant pitch a 2-0 win against Jim Palmer and the Orioles. I believe Rico and Fisk went yard that game. got box seats for $5. 

You are correct:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS197509160.shtml

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What impressed me most about my only game at Fenway Park was not Adrian Beltre's grandslam or Shin-Soo Choo's homer off Daisuke Matsuzaka, but the incredibly friendly usher who guided us to our bleacher seats and toweled off the rain left by a downpour an hour before the game in 2010:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS201008050.shtml

My only other experience at Fenway Park came as a 17-year-old hitchhiker from Iowa in 1973 when I stood outside the gates wishing the Red Sox had a homestand.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Don't know about best but was definetly runner up to the game.

Upon leaving Fenway after Fisk hit the HR in game 6. That was #1 expierence....

Across the street through a window to an apartment you could see this couple banging away. 

Kind of different ending to a great game and night......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

1. My first time ... cuz it was the first time ... walking up through the voms into the afternoon sun-drenched park still probably the single greatest visceral experience of my life.

2. In high school, trying to sneak in with cans of beer in my jacket/pants, getting booted and beer confiscated.  Then going back to the car, getting more beers,  rolling the dice on buying the old $6 obstructed view seats, trying to sneak back in with beers, getting booted again.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

When they tore that hole down and build this beautiful state of the art, modern facility will all the amenities and ample Parking at the easily accessible waterfront site.........post sent from the year 2031.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to BombBuster's comment:

That is a great story, thank you for sharing that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Taking my son when he was 11 to his 1st gm at Fenway. He had see them many times in Balt but never in Boston. It was great time and I'll always like Casey Kotchman because he tossed a ball to my son as he was coming off the field. My son still talks about Paps coming out to "Shipping up to Boston".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

Wow. Amazing stories, all of you. Bombbuster, so glad to hear your daughter's wish came true. Like many of you pointed out (and it should pretty much go without saying) ANY time you go to Fenway is an incredible one.

I've been to Fenway twice, and every second I spent in and outside  of the place, I was in complete awe. The craziest few seconds had to have been the first time I went, on my eighth birthday. I was walking through the small, dark tunnel from the concourse leading to the seats and as soon as I emerged from that tunnel, the first thing my eyes made contact with was the Green Monster - beyond incredible to have finally seen in person. The following seconds I spent looking around at the Park were magical.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

• First game
    • Catching ball Jim Rice hit
    • Game 7 ALCS 1986
    • Sleeping on street overnight for 1986 WS tix (no matter that you could buy them at nearly face value on game day on the street)
    • Expressions on teachers'/principals' faces every year from 1972 onward when my dad would take my little brother and me out of school for the home opener
    • Early 70s, 30 rows back of the Sox' dugout with my dad and little bro, right in the middle of dozens of guys openly betting on every event, fistfuls of cash all....little brother (8?) with deep voice shouting out "4 to 1 on Fisk", "6 to 1 on a strikeout", etc. fooling these guys every time (I'll take that!"), guys getting pissed, dad getting scared "will you stop that, I'm going to get killed", us two pissing ourselves laughing.
    • lots more

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from N1h. Show N1h's posts

I have 2 great ones, both started out in the bleachers.

First one was when I was in college, young and stupid we thought we could sneak beers into the game.  There were about 12 of us and we go to our seats, sit down and look up to see security coming to kick us out, they must have seen one of us drinking the beer.  So me and 2 friends in the group get seperated from the rest as we are being ushered out so the 3 of us are walking down behind the green monster, it's about 15 minutes into the start of the game. Someone walks up to me and hands me 2 tickets!  I thanked him profusely and we started thinking about how to get a 3rd ticket for the other person when another kind sould walks up and hands me a ticket.  We go around to the gate, get in and go to the seats that were the 2 together...turns out they are about 20 rows up behind home plate, a little bit down the first base line!! To top it off the seat next to us was empty and the 3rd person was able to sit there the whole game!!

Second was when my wife and some friends were again sitting in the bleachers.  It was a nice summer night and every time a beach ball would come by this guy sitting about 12 rows down from us kept taking them and popping the balls.  Everyone was yelling at the guy and getting pissed at him, a few innings later a ball comes my way.  I grab it, wind up and chuck the beach ball at the guy who was popping them.  Now you know how hard it is to throw a beach ball accurately but divine intervention must have been on my side, that ball curled upward right at his head and he turned to look up right as the ball smacked him in the FACE!  The bleachers went crazy and I had a ton of high fives and a few people bought me beers for it, it was a 1 in a million shot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPfromCT. Show KPfromCT's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

• First game
    • Catching ball Jim Rice hit
    • Game 7 ALCS 1986
    • Sleeping on street overnight for 1986 WS tix (no matter that you could buy them at nearly face value on game day on the street)
    • Expressions on teachers'/principals' faces every year from 1972 onward when my dad would take my little brother and me out of school for the home opener
    • Early 70s, 30 rows back of the Sox' dugout with my dad and little bro, right in the middle of dozens of guys openly betting on every event, fistfuls of cash all....little brother (8?) with deep voice shouting out "4 to 1 on Fisk", "6 to 1 on a strikeout", etc. fooling these guys every time (I'll take that!"), guys getting pissed, dad getting scared "will you stop that, I'm going to get killed", us two pissing ourselves laughing.
    • lots more

That is absolutely hillarious. Also very cool that you slept on the street waiting for World Series tickets. Now THAT is how a real fan does it lol.