Your choice....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Your choice....

If you could only have one--good hitting or good pitching--but not both, which would you choose?  Pitching, of course.  Everyone knows pitching is the cornerstone of winning ball games. 

But you'd be wrong. 

Right now the top three pitching staffs in the American League, as measured by team ERA, are the Athletics, Mariners, and Angels.  None of them has a winning record (although the Angels are at .500).

And the top three hitting teams, as measured by runs scored, are the Yankees, Indians, and Red Sox.  Of course, the Yankees and Indians also have decent pitching (upper half of the AL in ERA), but the Sox ERA is ranked 11th of 14 in the AL /> 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Your choice....

If you could only have one--good hitting or good pitching--but not both, which would you choose?

for the 162 the offense might be the better choice

but all that changes in the post season

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Your choice....:
    [QUOTE] for the 162 the offense might be the better choice but all that changes in the post season
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

But that doesn't do you any good if you can't make the post season.  It's actually a very interesting question.  If you could only have 1, I would go with the offense under the assumption that it will enable you to make the post season and give you a punchers chance.  At the very least the increased revenues from the post season runs would enable a club to spend more in scouting and the draft and hopefully develop good pitching to compliment the offense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings JB3

If you could only have 1, I would go with the offense under the assumption that it will enable you to make the post season and give you a punchers chance

as a nyyfan

trust me , been there  done that

it's not pretty in oct

as you know the only answer is........................ balance

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Pitching wins in the post-season.  Obviously, it is tough to win the regular season if you don't have offense (2010 Giants were an amazing exception), but, the best healthy staff wins in the post-season.  So, i build from pitching given this absolute option, and then hope I can be the 2010 Giants until i can get me my A-Gon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In 1967-72 you would likely lean towards pitching.

In 1995- 2011 you would likely lean toward hitting.

The game has been geared towards offense for most of the latest era.

But there have been times in baseball history when pitching reigned supreme.

The strike zone is smaller, many new parks are built for hitters and increased offense, and of course having the DH has made it almost necessary for AL teams to have no "easy outs" in their lineup.

I would say a balanced team is best in any era, though. Teams that can both prevent and produce runs have 2X the chance of winning on any given day.

I think this Red Sox team has a good mix of offense and pitching and defense. At least as good as anyone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In 1967-72 you would likely lean towards pitching. In 1995- 2011 you would likely lean toward hitting. The game has been geared towards offense for most of the latest era. But there have been times in baseball history when pitching reigned supreme. The strike zone is smaller, many new parks are built for hitters and increased offense, and of course having the DH has made it almost necessary for AL teams to have no "easy outs" in their lineup. I would say a balanced team is best in any era, though. Teams that can both prevent and produce runs have 2X the chance of winning on any given day. I think this Red Sox team has a good mix of offense and pitching and defense. At least as good as anyone.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Zill, it seems that we need to separate out a new era.  2010 saw the Giants win for a reason.  And 2011 is showing why.  We are in the post-Roids era.  We are moving back to a more defensive, or at least less offensive, game.  Pitching is getting stronger.  I agree that balance is best.  But I think there is a new model upon us that demands strong pitching uber alles.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yes, spaceman we are in the midst of a big change.

However, a team with lots of big bats can still do some serious damage.

But there aren't as many "murderers rows" out there these days.

Look at the Yankees 2004 lineup and compare it to their lineup today.

The pendulum is swinging back toward pitching, but is not all the way back just yet.

This is why I am comfortable with this year's Red Sox , we have a little of everything.

I would , however, like to see the bullpen tweaked a bit... but that 's what July 31 is for...right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, spaceman we are in the midst of a big change. However, a team with lots of big bats can still do some serious damage. But there aren't as many "murderers rows" out there these days. Look at the Yankees 2004 lineup and compare it to their lineup today. The pendulum is swinging back toward pitching, but is not all the way back just yet. This is why I am comfortable with this year's Red Sox , we have a little of everything. I would , however, like to see the bullpen tweaked a bit... but that 's what July 31 is for...right?

You got it Zill, thats when we go get our Eric Gagne ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Offense wins in the regular season.  Pitching wins in the post season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In 1967-72 you would likely lean towards pitching. In 1995- 2011 you would likely lean toward hitting. The game has been geared towards offense for most of the latest era. But there have been times in baseball history when pitching reigned supreme. The strike zone is smaller, many new parks are built for hitters and increased offense, and of course having the DH has made it almost necessary for AL teams to have no "easy outs" in their lineup. I would say a balanced team is best in any era, though. Teams that can both prevent and produce runs have 2X the chance of winning on any given day. I think this Red Sox team has a good mix of offense and pitching and defense. At least as good as anyone.

Of course a balanced team is best, but my OP--just for the sake of argument--ruled that out.  In fact three of the four best teams in the AL are balanced:  Indians, Yankees, and Rays.  We are unbalanced in favor of hitter, but are .5 games behind the Yankees and Rays. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, spaceman we are in the midst of a big change. However, a team with lots of big bats can still do some serious damage. But there aren't as many "murderers rows" out there these days. Look at the Yankees 2004 lineup and compare it to their lineup today. The pendulum is swinging back toward pitching, but is not all the way back just yet. This is why I am comfortable with this year's Red Sox , we have a little of everything. I would , however, like to see the bullpen tweaked a bit... but that 's what July 31 is for...right?

Tweak the bullpen??!!  Theo has already called for radical surgery on these guys.  He has a steady rotation from Pawtucket to Boston and back, with two already on the DL (Jenks and Wheeler, now back).   Only Pap and Bard have been stalwarts, and everyone else is a hope pass.  Albers was looking pretty tough until Saturday night when he disintegrated.